PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

@OutlawQuadrnt With the harsh track limits I'm guessing the car you tapped went over the line here
QFRc.jpg

The 10 sec pops up moments later. The car you hit is the blue triangle on the left.

Saw you add another picture, yet as I said somewhere earlier, replay isn't as accurate as it's not showing the effects of lag the same as when you're playing live. Here you make contact
WFRc.jpg

All contact circles are red and the game plays the hit sound.
You have 3 yellow bars, which means the other cars are lagging to your point of view. They'll accelerate slightly later in corners and brake slightly later. It sucks.

Monza without qualifying is not working atm, it's too dirty. I had a car turn in on me at the chicane then go over the line for the second part giving me a penalty. Perhaps he gamed it as he got called out by someone else at the end. Then the next race a track re-entry blocks the way while a car behind me drives into me at full speed, big pinball effect later and I am the unlucky one staying on the road with 10 sec penalty. So down to 69 after those 2 races.

I guess I'm doing a Brand's hatch race in between as gaining SR on Monza isn't possible. A clean race is 4 points or so.

First brand's hatch race, finish 2nd from last, clean race bonus, SR up to 85 (+16). Second race I get screwed by the penalty system yet again.

I'm fully braking trying to avoid, he even stays on, still 5 sec. Then the next car seems to have slowed down in time, so I turn in, he speeds up and hits me for another penalty. Down to SR 75 for that.

Perhaps I'm unlucky tonight yet this **** keeps happening. Next race on Monza 10 sec penalty again from a tiny brush to a car taking the corner wrong cutting across in front of me. Since he cut the corner right in front of me and I touched his bumper I get 10 sec and he gets away with the corner cut. If I had actually bumped him he would not have cut the effing corner...

Last edited:
One thing I honestly don't understand and make me quit the game right away. When a car crashes out in front of you doesn't go to ghost and you hit it as you can 't break hard enough to stop before you hit him and then you get 10 second penalty for it. Make me RED in my face.... :crazy::crazy::crazy:

I haven’t been keeping up with this thread so sorry if this is an old topic but is it true that being on the outside of a corner is far riskier in terms of getting hit with penalties?

I haven’t been keeping up with this thread so sorry if this is an old topic but is it true that being on the outside of a corner is far riskier in terms of getting hit with penalties?

Not anymore, if anything it's less risky now to end up with a penalty on the outside.

Penalties now seem to depend on whether the other car goes off track. Since it's much easier to go wide after a bump the car on the inside is more at risk of a penalty. However a diver that bumps you and takes a (free) shortcut as a result while you stay on track will give you a penalty while getting away with the bump pass.

It's more risky to stay on the track after a bump as the other person can give you a penalty by going slightly off track (or scrape a wall) within 4 seconds after the bump. Basically you touch someone (or they touch you), and they hold your fate in their hands.

It's easy to test. When someone bump passes you, instead of saving it and staying on the road, put your car just over the line and he'll get a penalty. If you stay on the road he goes free. It's also easy to abuse the system, side by side at the start of a chicane, bump the other car and short cut the second half. You won't get a shortcut penalty while the other car will get SR Down and 3 or 5 sec.

Someone can ram you as hard as they want from the side and won't get a penalty as long as you manage to stay on the road. And in case karma hits them and they spin themselves out trying to ram you, you get the penalty! You're better off going off road to stop a rammer.

In collisions involving multiple cars it seems that the last car to make contact in the chain reaction while staying on road gets the blame. You can get punted from behind into a car in front that goes off track: You stay on the road and were the last to make contact, you get 10 sec.
Or someone bumps a car off track yet stalls from that bump so you drive into them. Although you personally never contacted the car that went off, you were the last to make contact in the chain reaction and get the 10 sec penalty.

That's what I have been able to deduce from all the examples here and my own experience.

In collisions involving multiple cars it seems that the last car to make contact in the chain reaction while staying on road gets the blame. You can get punted from behind into a car in front that goes off track: You stay on the road and were the last to make contact, you get 10 sec.
Or someone bumps a car off track yet stalls from that bump so you drive into them. Although you personally never contacted the car that went off, you were the last to make contact in the chain reaction and get the 10 sec penalty.

That's what I have been able to deduce from all the examples here and my own experience.

This explanation might explain what happened to me yesterday at Alsace. A Megane bumped into the back of a Ferrari, causing him to go off track, and then he swerves back and hits me, straightens out and goes on his merry way. The megane and the Ferrari doesn't get a penalty, and I see a "10" flash on my screen.

This explanation might explain what happened to me yesterday at Alsace. A Megane bumped into the back of a Ferrari, causing him to go off track, and then he swerves back and hits me, straightens out and goes on his merry way. The megane and the Ferrari doesn't get a penalty, and I see a "10" flash on my screen.
Very similar to mine that day - who wants to race 8 laps with 10 second penalty ??? Not me! A pure quitter... :) . Cheers :cheers:

Since I got the game I have made a point of never allowing my SR to drop below S. I figure it will take me a lot longer to climb the DR ranking (hell I still use AT so I need to learn that first) but it does make me ultra aware of what is going on around me.

If someone is bumping me or trying ridiculous moves I usually just let them past and then follow them. They often drive themselves off the track and it seems to save a lot of potential penalties and a lot of lost lap time from fighting with them.

I know this isn't everyone's idea of how to race but I feel ultra guilty if I ruin someones race through my mistakes while I am still learning.

This new system that doesn't always give a time penalty during races but affect your SR seems to be making some drivers very aggressive. Saw an abnormal amount of bumps and divebombs happening in race C and more than half of the lobby, with A/A+ players, ended up with red and white SR. Not sure if this new system is an improvement. People seemed more careful and races were cleaner before the update.

Oh, what do you know, it's worse again!

With less time penalties more and more people keep bumping. If you don't go off the first time, maybe the second, or the third, just keep at it, you'll get it eventually! I'm trying to stick to my no qualify craziness yet the first race I did today knocked me from SR.S to SR.B and so far it seems impossible to return. Contact while passing is the norm, diving in most corners and then I even get a penalty when someone bumps me from behind then scrapes the wall all by himself. The last race I was in had the whole room red except pole position that got away...

Perhaps things are starting to clear up, next race had only 40% red ratings and I managed to gain some SR finally. Still got bumped into a couple times yet managed to get ahead of the mess early this time. No quali experiment continues.

One more observation of the penalty system. If someone forces you wide towards a wall (if you can't slow down in time), make sure they hit you first before you hit the wall. If you avoid them and scrape the wall voluntarily then have the misfortune of bouncing back and bump them, you get a penalty.

Now they are not afraid to engage in a race. Yes there is some dirty's, but overall the racing for me has been back to exciting and for the most part clean...imo of course.

And again, I adjust speed for T1 for an unsure driver braking, then 2 seconds later get rammed at full speed from behind, 2 sec penalty and red rating for the race. One blue race, one red race, stuck at SR.B

Exciting my ass, they need to change it so the rear view mirror is larger than the front view, plus an extended radar or pip top down view.

If someone is bumping me or trying ridiculous moves I usually just let them past and then follow them. They often drive themselves off the track and it seems to save a lot of potential penalties and a lot of lost lap time from fighting with them..

This is honestly the best approach. Until you learn how to draw penalties from bad drivers it's best just to avoid them. They usually commit penalties because they are more focused on their hot lap line than actually racing with other cars on the same track. So they're playing a high stakes game of roulette on your race despite the inability to deliver 3 clean laps in a row.

It makes sense though. Many of us are coming from a clean racing baseline and the quickest racing line takes a secondary focus to proper driving. For others though, they are working from a hot lap time as their baseline and then slowly adding more cleanliness to their excessively aggressive driving. So some of us are SR drivers grinding our DR up. Others are fast DR drivers who are constantly regrinding their SR back to S.

And again, I adjust speed for T1 for an unsure driver braking, then 2 seconds later get rammed at full speed from behind, 2 sec penalty and red rating for the race. One blue race, one red race, stuck at SR.B

Exciting my ass, they need to change it so the rear view mirror is larger than the front view, plus an extended radar or pip top down view.

Especially cute when your qualifying pace exceeds 1-3 seconds of your competitors so they know they have to take you out on T1 to have a shot xD
SR B is the worst.

Especially cute when your qualifying pace exceeds 1-3 seconds of your competitors so they know they have to take you out on T1 to have a shot xD
SR B is the worst.

That in my opinion is one of the biggest failures of the game overall is the terrible matching in the Sport Mode lobbies. You want good competitive races then the field needs to be matched a lot closer than that.

I did race C a few times today - last race I experienced the worse inside overtakes. They use you to push wide (even if I have the "door" fully closed). It's getting worse again - NO clean racing here now and misuse of racing etiquette..... I apologize but I did get upset so I logged off the race and lost SR scores which I have learned in this game to never mind anymore. Sad the game has gotten this way. :boggled::boggled::boggled:

Sounds to me like, although they've reduced the time penalty, the SR hit is still the same as it was... or at least still based on who lost the coin toss and got the penalty :rolleyes:

I've given up hoping they'll put some effort into improving matters, seems they aren't trying to at all, just tweaking parameters on a deeply flawed system which leaves a lot of people with wholly inappropriate SR ratings. Oh well, it was fun for a while. It will be interesting to see what Kunos do with ACC, but maybe that won't have as large a userbase to deal with... or maybe it will by the time it's released!

Last edited:
This is honestly the best approach. Until you learn how to draw penalties from bad drivers it's best just to avoid them. They usually commit penalties because they are more focused on their hot lap line than actually racing with other cars on the same track. So they're playing a high stakes game of roulette on your race despite the inability to deliver 3 clean laps in a row.

It makes sense though. Many of us are coming from a clean racing baseline and the quickest racing line takes a secondary focus to proper driving. For others though, they are working from a hot lap time as their baseline and then slowly adding more cleanliness to their excessively aggressive driving. So some of us are SR drivers grinding our DR up. Others are fast DR drivers who are constantly regrinding their SR back to S.

That's not working anymore. I did 2 races today, both I got bump passed several times into the wall, which should count as off track, yet no penalties were issued. Either the walls are very forgiving on St Croix or something else is going on. It might be walls as one time I got knocked to the inside on the grass and that did give them a penalty. Yet 2 sec is nothing on that track, you almost lose that naturally when having to brake a little extra for the car in front.

What @GA 52 said, inside overtakes are getting worse every day. You have to drive on the inside now keeping the door completely shut or a nose will poke in and push you off your line into the wall. Most people are not trying to go side by side, they're simply hot lapping through the corner using you as a guide rail. When you're on the inside they'll bump pass from the outside when you're nice enough to adjust your speed to leave room for them. Plus the tap tap tap from behind is back as well.

It seems we have gone full circle, it's Januari again. Dirty driving is the norm yet now even more encouraged as SR Down is not displayed anymore. I have never seen so many red ratings in daily C's as with this last update. People should know the track by now, and perhaps that's part of the problem. The wide corners are perfect for bump passing. Plus the old excuses are back as well. I called someone out that hit me from behind and bump passed me twice (he crashed of course without anyone in front of him) and his response was simply you're slow.

Problem with PD is, they don't hold on to decisions. Its like they're not sure what to do.

The no-contact system was fine for me, the races were way more cleaner. It was only for the to-lazy-for-qualy guys bad. If you had set up a good time, you were rewarded by holding your position because you didn't have to be afraid of rammed off. Additionally that made you faster also, because you could concentrate on the track.

Instead of throwing everything over board again, simply adjustments would've done it. Lower the 10 sec penalty for tapping to 4 sec for example.

And how is it now? Yesterday in Suzuka I observed in every race people going into corners 3 or 4 drivers together.

And one more point, why not starting with more distance between the cars in rolling start? If a driver is faster then his frontdriver he'll reach him anyway. PD must have realized that most incidents happen in lap 1 and 2 because of no distance between the cars. People simply can't handle it. The races are decided simply on luck when you're in midpack. If you somehow survive first two laps you're fine, if not the whole pack will pass you. And I'm talking about A/S rooms.

Do you think the issues occur due to the DR you are.

I race against B and C drivers mainly and although there is the odd idiot who thinks the racing line is the only line you can take and it doesn’t matter who is in the way, the racing has been surprisingly clean (for me) since the update

But this morning I did race c and a low online presence meant there was A to D drivers. The A drivers seemed so concerned with not being beaten that they were by far the worst players at actually driving fairly. I wonder if the kudos they attach to being A rated means they can’t bear to see their DR drop. Yes they were faster in qualifying but if they dropped back (usually from contact with other A drivers near the front) then they just barged and dive bombed anyone to get back to the front. Only the A drivers had red dots after the race (all but one of them out of 7).

The worst is the divebombers are not punished anymore.

And it doesn't help that they maybe would've been punished if you flew out. You lose several positions, thats bad enough already

PD still not fixing this. If somebody spin and hitting you, you still get penalty even it not your fault :banghead:

Last night I get something weird penalty, I swear I not brakecheck him or something, it just how I tackle the corner but bit off pace then suddenly get penalty 2 seconds. Like, man really? :banghead: Ah the way I took out penalty just wrong anyway luckily I ghosted at that time :dunce:

And it doesn't help that they maybe would've been punished if you flew out. You lose several positions, thats bad enough already

It still punished but not that severe than before :banghead:, Yes I'm used to doing divebomb in last patch but in current patch I found that too risky so I stop do that. Oh well doing some train with 2 car front and back now too risky cause in some level if we doing bump we will get SR Red without any notice.

Back again to Divebomber at this patch they now too depending with how fast and how far they approach you, so if they doing that with you even make you spin but in right distance and right speed they will save, compare with last patch if you take out somebody when diving then you get punished.

PD still not fixing this. If somebody spin and hitting you, you still get penalty even it not your fault :banghead:

Last night I get something weird penalty, I swear I not brakecheck him or something, it just how I tackle the corner but bit off pace then suddenly get penalty 2 seconds. Like, man really? :banghead: .

Hmm, that almost looks deliberate. Bump then touch the wall is penalty for the other car. I had that happen as well, the car bumping me there touched the outside wall right after as he carried too much speed, I got the penalty. Here it doesn't look like he lost control at all, just steered into the wall...

It's only select walls that give out penalties, That section is very sensitive, yet I've been bump passed into the wall in T2 and T3 and the other car did not receive a penalty. People sure love to use you to get through T3, better stay on the inside. At least when you get rammed at the inside and go over the curb the other car does get a penalty.

Hmm, that almost looks deliberate. Bump then touch the wall is penalty for the other car. I had that happen as well, the car bumping me there touched the outside wall right after as he carried too much speed, I got the penalty. Here it doesn't look like he lost control at all, just steered into the wall...

It's only select walls that give out penalties, That section is very sensitive, yet I've been bump passed into the wall in T2 and T3 and the other car did not receive a penalty. People sure love to use you to get through T3, better stay on the inside. At least when you get rammed at the inside and go over the curb the other car does get a penalty.

What the flying 🤬, I mean really? what a loser mind if that really deliberate. Maybe in next meet with him I'll hit him hard until I get SR E seriously I mad if he can abuse that, what point we racing with penalty if somebody can abuse to that way then?

Then again it's PD fault make track without grass or even curb in that area, are they think all player can carry without touch the wall? need have same sensitivity for all area on track. Ah sorry I just get emotional after watch that video again need some sleep maybe to clear my head :guilty:

That in my opinion is one of the biggest failures of the game overall is the terrible matching in the Sport Mode lobbies. You want good competitive races then the field needs to be matched a lot closer than that.
Perhaps the algorithm should emphasize qualifying time

Getting divebombed on T1 at suzuka you go from pole to last ;P (personal experience) and that's that, as they say.
I think in general nerfing slipstream would be beneficial, that or enforce "weak" setting. Its too easy to fuel save riding behind someone and people seem to be prone to more accidents as they cannot properly adjust for braking.

clean race and daddy kaz derank me to SR C for no actual reason , trying to recover back to S with 7x clean race in the past few day and only get 2 point per day absolute mad man
38600315_1854740404569579_1709152269456375808_n.jpg

Back