PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

I was commenting on the gif :confused: The inside line is open, in the sense that its not fully shut.

I still want to make the corner sort of in an efficient manner. Turning in while on the inside curbs will have me braking so much I'm certain to get punted off. While if I fled to the outside I simply get bumped off mid corner. Somehow 4 sec penalty and SR Down is the best possible outcome :yuck:

I'm back to 99 SR now, by staying on the outside and indeed getting bumped off several times. That gives the other car a penalty, thus good for SR, bad for DR. Race craft is simply bad again at Brand's, see a nose on your inside, kiss your ass goodbye. (or give up racing and let everyone pass that gets close) It might be better later at night.

(It's only a few trouble makers, had some great racing as well)

Edit: It is much better later at night, full A/S rooms with clean overtakes. No problem going side by side. I guess what helps it that it quickly turned into a Porsche OneMake :lol:

Last edited:

Oh, such a fair penalty system. Nothing wrong with the game, it’s the users fault most of the time.

And no, it’s not me

Every sane person knows this game is broken and any real sim racer won’t even go so far as look in the direction of this game. They stick to iRacing, rFactor, AC or ACC next year

Ha, happy to see that my short clip made it into this forum. :D

That was one (almost) rage quit moment for me...

i keep coming back to play this game .but its unplayable.penalties nonstop for nothing.as soon as i get A or S one race im -50 Sr.its really a joke

I couldn't take it anymore either. I'm giving F1-2018 a try until they finally come close to fixing the pathetic penalty system they have now. After a year of this BS I'm certainly not expecting them to get it right.

This could be a great game IMO, it's too bad the penalty system is driving people away. I'm not expecting Perfection, just get a close!

It's preposterous that you get penalised for being rear ended, absolutely nuts. I don't think the system is smart enough to decipher if you're going stupid slow through the braking areas so if not, there's no way this blanket rear end penalty thing works. It's absolutely asinine.

Something like the Group 4 lambo is an absolute disaster because it's a slow in/fast out car and you get relentlessly rear ended by the Megane crowd. How's that my fault?

It's preposterous that you get penalized for being rear ended, absolutely nuts. I don't think the system is smart enough to decipher.

Actually, it is. The system the counts the penalty down knows when you are going too slow for any part of the track. It's been adjusted several times since release, so it's obviously adjustable. At release, it would count down a penalty whenever you where off the accelerator in an acceleration zone.

I'm not sure why they don't use that information to determine a brake check versus someone simply being slow in a corner.

I’m already hitting the apex of a turn when I get T boned by a moron who braked way too late and I get a penalty???

If he didn’t ram me, he’d have a 10 second penalty for corner cutting.

I’m only left playing the game basically once a week and I guess even that’s too much :boggled:

that random ghosting is driving me mad , why dont you get ghosted AS SOON AS you lose control? i'm sick of getting 5sec penalties because people are losing control by themselves and crashing into me? when i cannot humanly avoid them?

It's preposterous that you get penalised for being rear ended, absolutely nuts. I don't think the system is smart enough to decipher if you're going stupid slow through the braking areas so if not, there's no way this blanket rear end penalty thing works. It's absolutely asinine.

Something like the Group 4 lambo is an absolute disaster because it's a slow in/fast out car and you get relentlessly rear ended by the Megane crowd. How's that my fault?

This has been the bane of my SR at Brands Hatch.
Got sideswiped by someone in my last race, they got a penalty, but still got blue SR.
Makes you think why legitimate defending is grounds for punishment.

The penalty system is still quite inaccurate, but it’s better than it has been.

I was on the verge of being Dr A & Sr S.
After less than 10 races at the weekend and constantly being hit from the side or punted from the rear and subsequently now racing with even worse drivers and being hit x10 than before, I am now D E!!! Wtf I even stayed at the black tonight to keep away and a straggler came past dived up inside smashing me out the way and guess what........

That's right I got the big orange bad boy Sr again.

This was **** in the beginning and that was understandable and it even seemed to progress and get better but after the last 2 big updates it's just got worse and is now in my opinion a TOTAL CROCK OF ****!!!

I certainly won't be playing this again as the guys I'm with now don't seem to care about the rank and just bump you out the way to win instead of racing! Took me long enough to nearly be A S and now it's ruined due to being rammed from behind and getting a penalty for it.
In what racing league etc does the guy getting rammed from behind ever receive a penalty?????
And when you crash alone or skid of by mistake and lose time off track and positions, they don't give you another penalty do they because you've just had it by loosing enough time crashing!!
THE REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR
MY ASS!!!!

Oh I've got plenty of video footage to put together very shortly to follow this ******** up aswell. Some on you tube already, potterp81 if you want to see.

Dude I feel it too, I'm now on my 7th SR rebuild, I just can't hack why being hit gives you SR downgraded, it makes no sense, and so many other racers are just saying it must be my driving, or my controller is duff, mmm, ts 300, t3pa pro, sym racing load cell, 32in super fast monitor, nearly 500 races, 50 ish wins 45 poles, etc, give me a break, it's the penalty says that favours the hammers, and punishes the victim.

Still wondering why anyone cares at all about Sport Mode still.. It is the illegitimate progeny of the reviled Quick Race in GT6, which no-one but rammers and credit hounds ever played. The serious racing was ALL in Lobbies, all proper clean racing was stewarded by hosts, and the bad elements kicked.

Isn't that what you are all looking for?

It is still there. Join SNAIL, start mirror rooms (duplicate the Sport Mode races) and host them properly, look for Clean or Kick rooms, get to hang with others that share your etiquette habits.

Time to move on from Sport Mode, kids...

Until recently I was an A rated driver with an S sportmanship rank.

After some bad results I'm now B with an S rating of C.

I really sympathise with all the drivers who have to play at this level. It's like Mario Kart.

It's just full of rammers and those who abuse the penalty system by lifting off and then accelerating when you're about to pass through them so you end up hitting them in the rear and getting a penalty yourself!

AGREE...

Only just got started tonight on playstation plus but got an 8 second penalty for being crashed into and thrown into a wall...

So now in last with an 8 second penalty... the other car seems to have got away with nothing...

I then TRIED to crash into someone (in rage) only for them to disappear (like a ghost car) and me hit the wall again....

**** this ****...

Ugh, 10 SR down and 4 sec penalty, after finishing, from someone trying to pit manoeuver me after a messed up final turn with people trying to serve penalties and block at the same time. PD fix this mess!!! No penalty serving at the finish. It's the most ridiculous, annoying nonsense that has been in the game forever.

Next race, a car taps me from behind, loses control and takes out the car in front of me. I get blamed for the incident, 4 sec penalty, SR 79, another 10 down, SR A here I come.
yYFNTu7.gif

Yep, the penalty system sure still sucks. I'm taking a break, not going to risk racing with the SR.A crowd in prime time. I'll be back when the kiddies on the west coast have been tucked in bed.

Last edited:
Still wondering why anyone cares at all about Sport Mode still.. It is the illegitimate progeny of the reviled Quick Race in GT6, which no-one but rammers and credit hounds ever played. The serious racing was ALL in Lobbies, all proper clean racing was stewarded by hosts, and the bad elements kicked.

It is still there. Join SNAIL, start mirror rooms (duplicate the Sport Mode races) and host them properly, look for Clean or Kick rooms, get to hang with others that share your etiquette habits.

I was in a lobby last night where I called out one driver for racing like trash since he was ramming the other drivers off of the course. The entire room of 5 drivers then proceeded to cut, ram, and plow into me regardless of the race. Every-time I go into a lobby, it eventually devolves into this nonsense. Closed lobbies monitored by a club or team are one thing, but most open lobbies are pure trash.

Ugh, 10 SR down and 4 sec penalty, after finishing, from someone trying to pit manoeuver me after a messed up final turn with people trying to serve penalties and block at the same time. PD fix this mess!!! No penalty serving at the finish. It's the most ridiculous, annoying nonsense that has been in the game forever.

Next race, a car taps me from behind, loses control and takes out the car in front of me. I get blamed for the incident, 4 sec penalty, SR 79, another 10 down, SR A here I come.
yYFNTu7.gif

Yep, the penalty system sure still sucks. I'm taking a break, not going to risk racing with the SR.A crowd in prime time. I'll be back when the kiddies on the west coast have been tucked in bed.

^^^^
this sums up my experience last night... 8 second penalty for being crashed into and thrown into a wall...

^^
It was the Megane crowd in my GR4 face last night... most pointless exercise... if I wanted to be crashed into, I'd play my 6 year old.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^
It was the Megane crowd in my GR4 face last night... most pointless exercise... if I wanted to be crashed into, I'd play my 6 year old.

It's very hard to regain SR on Nordschleife the way the race is set up. The rolling start has everyone bunch up before the start. People behind don't have the patience or can't find the brake and will either tap you from behind or try to pass and hit the car in front of you creating an accident before even crossing the start line. Most of the time it's taps from behind, I guess to let you know you should crash the car in front of you off the track. The game seems to agree as you get SR Down for your lack in sportmanship, not trying to drive through any cars in the way.

Nordschleife only has 5 SR total to give this week. Each SR Down is -2, including missing that sectors SR Up. 2 taps from behind is a neutral rating. 3 taps is red.

.. just learned, luckily not through experience, theres also a DR reset down to D (dr15000) for DR A/S drivers at SR C?

Thats just insane with current penalty system.
I think ill gladly say at A/B rating for now..

.. just learned, luckily not through experience, theres also a DR reset down to D (dr15000) for DR A/S drivers at SR C?

Thats just insane with current penalty system.
I think ill gladly say at A/B rating for now..
Just working my way back up after losing over 26000 Dr points on race a this week due to DR reset The simplest of taps and you get SR loss

Hey guys, interesting stuff about this penalty system last weeks, it's confusing.
I was running in some daily racing yesterday, to boost my SR, heavy damaged by last week online races and I was in race A and I was hit on purpose by a guy from behind and received a 3 second penalty. I couldn't see if he was penalised, cause I made a 180 spin.
This morning, I tried again and at some point, the guy in front of me lost his rear wheel, made a 90 degree spin, I was right behind him and couldn't avoid the contact, the ghost mode didn't reacted so fast, so I hit him and I said to myself "oh, no, another wasted race"!
But, to my surprise, at the end of the race, I received a star for "clean race"!
I don't get it, thing get worst with the penalty system I think !

Did he expect me to change lines, plenty of room on the outside, no room left before the corner to start swerving.

With the amount of races you have run, you should know that Billy No Clue GTS gamer will see that gap and go for it (referring to the gif)

For all the complaints about penalties and SR (which is not perfect before anybody pipes up), it is fundamentally the users who are the biggest issue (I don't mean you Sven).

If everybody had the same race mentality we would not need penalties or SR. The reason we do is because far to many people are selfish self entitled idiots on track.

"OOOh I've got the run on somebody and I refuse to lift, so I'll squeeze through that 3 inch gap". "Oh no THEY hit ME and it's so not my fault = bad PD, penalty system etc".

PDs problem is that they have put to much faith in their player base to be civil on track imo. Now the system they have cannot keep up with the sheer idiocy some people demonstrate on track.

I agree Mr616. However ; how can you get Red Sr avoiding people and then they run into you purposely??? Then to avoid penalty you have to run into the wall...?? - I don't get that!!~!! WHyyyyyy?

Last edited:
I agree Mr616. However ; how can you get Red Sr avoiding people and then they run into you purposely??? Then to avoid penalty you have to run into the wall...?? - I don't get that!!~!! WHyyyyyy?

Oh I know. It's not perfect by any means. In fact it never will be perfect but it could definitely be improved upon. But how do you differentiate between track limits and running off track for example? If I cut a chicane to miss a pile up but still gain an advantage then what? If the car in front spins and I hit it then yes, a penalty seems harsh but if it were real, or damage was in effect I'd be out of the race anyway. It's double edged sword in a lot of instances and whatever they introduce will attempt to be gamed by some.

I know it wasn't popular, but the harsh penalties of 1.13 started to clean up driving because people were actually scared of contact and not hedging their bets on what they could get away with.

GTS is just a game and is played by gamers and by motorsport fans/enthusiasts. Being a motorsport enthusiast myself, I play as though it's real and not just playing a console driving game. It's the mentality between these two types of driver that are the main issue imo and catering to both is going to be tough.

With the amount of races you have run, you should know that Billy No Clue GTS gamer will see that gap and go for it (referring to the gif)

For all the complaints about penalties and SR (which is not perfect before anybody pipes up), it is fundamentally the users who are the biggest issue (I don't mean you Sven).

If everybody had the same race mentality we would not need penalties or SR. The reason we do is because far to many people are selfish self entitled idiots on track.

"OOOh I've got the run on somebody and I refuse to lift, so I'll squeeze through that 3 inch gap". "Oh no THEY hit ME and it's so not my fault = bad PD, penalty system etc".

PDs problem is that they have put to much faith in their player base to be civil on track imo. Now the system they have cannot keep up with the sheer idiocy some people demonstrate on track.

I had to look up what this was about, been a while since I've raced on Brand's. I know clueless gamers will go for non existent gaps yet what can you do? My tactic is brute force, learn to recognize every driver on the track so I know who I can sim race, who to game race and who to avoid at all cost. The weeklies actually help with that as when I was racing far to much on Nord and Panorama I kept seeing the same people every day. Which was very useful while driving from the back as I knew in advance what to look out for with each driver as the week went on.

Also a great party trick when you go from last to second without any contact while half the room is red. How do you do that, well by doing 12+ races a day and learning each driver's patterns, same way to learn to get through shmups. People recognize me too though and while some make it easier to pass to draft me, others start using counter measures to my passing attempts. That's why online is so much better than any AI :)

Yet if you only have time for a few races or can't be bothered racing more (like I'm this week with Suzuka) it would be nice to have a penalty system that doesn't screw you over when someone else messes up. Luckily I'm so slow on Suzuka I don't get near anyone anyway :lol:

I recently drove the FIA Manufacturer Round 8 in Willow Springs. There, the penalty system did not work at all. In Willow Springs with its long curves you lose a lot of time when you leave the track. This has taken advantage of some drivers massively. In my race, at least 3 riders pushed the other riders in front of them slightly in the breaking phases or or pushed them slightly off the road in corners. All these were light touches that caused little to no damage or punishment. There were no penalties. The victims then lost a lot of time until they were back on the road. On such routes even light tabs should be punished, as this is enough to destroy a whole race for the victim.

Disagree. Once you get your SR to 99 you meet and race with tons of quality racers. Trick is staying there.

Clearly nobody else has tried to drive the RCZ Group 4, seeing as if you're not attempting to destroy the tyres at every point humanly possible then you're going too slow for them. What really gets me, however, is that when somebody does run into the back of me (Presumably a Cayenne), I get the penalty.

What

I was in a lobby last night where I called out one driver for racing like trash since he was ramming the other drivers off of the course. The entire room of 5 drivers then proceeded to cut, ram, and plow into me regardless of the race. Every-time I go into a lobby, it eventually devolves into this nonsense. Closed lobbies monitored by a club or team are one thing, but most open lobbies are pure trash.

Did the room title say 'Clean or Kick'? Or mention clean racing at all? I rather doubt it. Unfortunately, sometimes a clean host can quit a room without closing it, and you might be at the mercy of dirty drivers who inherited it. But that's pretty rare.

Generally, if someone is willing to title the room as clean or kick, you are at a distinct advantage. Without that effort, you are unlikely to find what you want. SNAIL run practice rooms open to the public. Look for those, or inquire as you enter a room if you can't find one labeled clean. Saves a ton of grief!

Did the room title say 'Clean or Kick'? Or mention clean racing at all? I rather doubt it. Unfortunately, sometimes a clean host can quit a room without closing it, and you might be at the mercy of dirty drivers who inherited it. But that's pretty rare.

Generally, if someone is willing to title the room as clean or kick, you are at a distinct advantage. Without that effort, you are unlikely to find what you want. SNAIL run practice rooms open to the public. Look for those, or inquire as you enter a room if you can't find one labeled clean. Saves a ton of grief!

I only enter rooms labeled as clean. I have no doubt that the drivers are clean when they want to be, but without any real consequences it opens the door wide open for vigilante justice be it over someone's poor driving or just the fact that you called out their friend for being a dirty driver. I honestly haven't driven in the lobby's in months and the relatively clean driving in the Daily Races is fine enough for me.

Back