PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Even Pastor Maldonado - a man whose SR was D on a good day - got a victory once in F1. Fast guys will still win races, but if they're binning it as often as they bring home the bacon, they won't get the chance to compete at high levels - their racecraft (SR) limits the perception of their ability (DR).

Of course in the real world, a single mistake will end your race and reflect badly on your racecraft, but in GT your car can take punishment all day long and still win. That's another reason to tie SR to DR.

Furthermore, divorcing DR from SR means you can have A+ drivers competing for Top 16 races, World Tours, and even World Finals when they haven't got a clue about keeping it clean.

Expressed as a rank. PD even gives out a special rank for it...

Some DR.S drivers are actually DR.B ... It doesn't mean much either.

Your car can take punishment all day, but a more consistent driver will have no trouble beating mr. crash-a-lot. No need to tie DR to SR.

There are A+ drivers now that can't keep it clean... There are also A+ pace drivers that enjoy resets to mess up / take advantage of racers at lower levels.

You're worried about the top 1%, what about the bottom 99%. Why do they have to put up with fast dirty drivers. Let those compete among each other while improving SR determination. That will keep them out of the top 16 races. Fast dirty drivers only have to do a couple C races now to get back in those top 16 races.

Trying to fix a broken SR system by breaking the DR system only makes matchmaking worse for the bottom 99%. The reality now is that new and learning players get matched with fast dirty players that had their DR reset or got placed in those rooms as grid filler being the highest DR in a lower SR range. So they learn their race craft from the worst!

And who knows, maybe a full grid of A+/E racers could be entertaining to watch :lol:

Actually I would like to see FIA and sport mode separated from each other. Both should have their own DR/SR rating. No using sport mode as a crutch to boost DR and SR to get in a better split. That's not how tournaments work.

To circumvent the slow DR increase / decrease, why not use a far more elegant system to determine FIA splits. Before FIA races you can practice. Sort everyone on their practice lap times to determine how the rooms are filled. No DR necessary. The fastest on that track will race each other. Don't do the practice, you end up in the slowest FIA room where you can't earn any (significant) points anyway.

For SR, start at SR.B like you do when you start sport mode. The pre season is then to get your SR rating up. Lose SR during a FIA race, too bad, can't fix it in sport mode. Live with the consequences and try to get it back up next race. Now it really hurts as next you'll be in a split worth less points over all. (And/or limit FIA points on SR is fine with me, for example you only receive (points * SR post race) / 99, losing SR hurts your point earnings)

It’s by design imo in attempt to prevent dirty players from gaining dr and ruining races of their peers.
Personally I don’t care where dirty players go as long as it’s not in 99 lobbies...
Further it sounds like you don’t like dirty fast players...No one does...Same problem exists in real racing...
It sucks to get beaten, stings, but if it didn’t it would be boring.
Get dirty fast out of clean fast. Lower their rank. That’s what happens.
Imo that’s the priority over worrying about trophies.
Immediately remove them from higher ranked lobbies. Put them at big risk of rank loss.
They aren’t taking dr from a B, or...almost nothing.
Jmo

Edit I think most players do care about their rank, on at least one of their many accounts lol

I don't like dirty players period. The fast ones are just harder to get back at :lol:

They are taking plenty DR from lower players. Pretty much in all my 230 races on the Nord going up and down the SR ranks, there was nearly always a dirty shark at the front 'recovering' from a DR reset. That's the reality slower paced drivers live with daily. And then those crash and ram their way back to the front, over and over.

Does that problem exist in real racing? Do crash and ram happy drivers get placed back in the junior league to wreck them off the track?

I disagree with you, most players do not care about rank. They care about victories, no matter how.

Yep don't see a return to daily races after seeing that. Iracing dailies even at rookie have been much cleaner. I'll stick with Snail for my league racing and Iracing for dailies.

I don't like dirty players period. The fast ones are just harder to get back at :lol:

They are taking plenty DR from lower players. Pretty much in all my 230 races on the Nord going up and down the SR ranks, there was nearly always a dirty shark at the front 'recovering' from a DR reset. That's the reality slower paced drivers live with daily. And then those crash and ram their way back to the front, over and over.

Does that problem exist in real racing? Do crash and ram happy drivers get placed back in the junior league to wreck them off the track?

I disagree with you, most players do not care about rank. They care about victories, no matter how.

Like I said no one likes dirty drivers, in NASCAR in real life or in GTS. Dirty driving is a reality though both in game and real racing. If you let them keep A plus rank that’s not ok by me, personally. Jmo but there needs to be negative consequences, which the game does, I just want that aspect amplified. I mean we both see issues and we do agree on that and we both have ideas about how to improve things. :)
My idea is amplify the sr dr connection and yours is sever it. Jmo but both ideas have merit, and could work, we just have to see what the update brings.
I do know that it’s really tough if you are 99 at say mid A then get hit with sr loss.
Your next race will be, in say evening the lower A tier. (that’s probably one of the most dangerous tiers) AND if you’re like me and have a qual in you now have to start surrounded by a mixture of fast clean and fast dirty, high potential to get taken out or drawn into a scrap.
That’s only if there’s a lot of folks playing at that time, if there’s not, you get the pole position BUT you start ahead of people at lower rank and the targets on your back and there’s little to gain except sr because at mid A winning against a bunch of B doesn’t get points really.
Plus screwup you will get at least 1k or more DR loss...
I’m just pointing out that the system seems to be setup to place dirty drivers in high dr loss risk situations which is a concept I like, personally.
I want clean races, but I want to race too.
People want wins, sure, but in real racing those are difficult to get. In game they are difficult to get too. You don’t get much dr beating rooms of people at lower dr rank.
:) This topic never dies because it IS interesting and there’s many approaches that could impact gameplay. You always make me think, and that’s a good thing...
Cheers

I wonder what happened to...

■ Penalties
・Adjustments implemented to improve the penalty judgement algorithm.

That was promised in the update preview back on March 20th and no mention of those adjustments shipped with today's update notes. Weird.

It's a ranking - one of two that exist in the game.

Imagine a real racing driver. Dude is fast and streaks out ahead most races - clearly the most talented driver on the grid. But he DNFs because he cannot keep it on the grey stuff, bouncing off crash barriers, back markers, or just straight launching it through kerbs and smashing the sump off. Half the time the car comes back on a flatbed, needing a new engine, gearbox and... car, while the rear wing goes home with the fans who picked it up. He's never going to get to F1/LMP1/GT3/pick a high level series, because his lower tier teams can't afford to keep him on board, so he never has the opportunity to prove how fast he is in higher series.

His SR limits his DR.

As above, so below. Someone should not be eligible for the top rank of driver rating - and the higher points scores available in the high DR lobbies - if they simply do not have the racecraft. Their SR should limit their DR.

That is exactly why SR should not limit DR. Pastor will take his F1 car and speed without race craft and run away from the Formula Euro racers he now gets matched with and falsely gains SR matching him with the wrong group until he races with top splits for a couple of races. PD's penalty system is so far from actually being usable that Pastor now drags a few top split drivers down with him. Having A+ speed drivers matched with DRC/SRS is always going to be a mess. To use your words its OK to put a fast driver in top split races because he wont be able to keep up due to lack of race craft and the top split drivers need to practice awareness as all drivers should.

Agreed with the addition of it being much much tougher to gain sr/dr at reset.

Oh it was last week on the Nord, max +5 per race, yet -10 per SR Down.
AXM4bFl.png

I only did race B (from the back) about 230 times that week :lol: (5 DR resets in there)

I do my best to avoid trouble (always keep distance and watch the mirror like a hawk) keep a bit of safety distance at all times and only go for a pass when I feel like there's 90% chance of a successful pass. Yet getting hit from behind now and then was enough to go down during certain hours of the day.

Of course the issue was incorrect blame assignment, but PD nailed the tougher to gain SR/DR last week :cheers: (on race B)

DR resets weren't bad anyway, nor racing in lower SR. If the system had worked and let me stay in SR.S (no get punted off receive penalty nonsense) I would have maybe one a handful of races, likely less, maybe none racing from the back at max SR. Thanks to the resets I had a win percentage of 25% last week, from the back. It's a failure of matchmaking and the SR system. Not fair to all the drivers I was put up against where some races I won with 20 sec lead in a one lap race without qualifying! Total failure of DR as a speed rating, thanks to total failure of the penalty system.

Equal fault wouldn't have helped if it was still -10 per incident. If it was -5 for each the picture would have been completely different. That means one SR Down is neutral for the race, two is -5 yet repaired with one race avoiding all the dive bombs. Last week 2 SR Downs was -15 for the race, needing 3 races while avoiding all dive bombs. Two of those rowdy races in a row and you were already 30 SR Down. There were times during the day where race quality was so bad I had 5 bad races in a row. (While early morning I could get 5 clean race bonus races in a row, climbing back up until it got back again in the afternoon)

Equal fault will work, but needs to be balanced correctly.

To reiterate something from much further back:

Let max SR gains be based on your current SR, independent of the track.
For example your max SR gain for the race could be ((100 - current SR) / 4) rounded up.
25 SR to gain when you're at the bottom, yet only 1 SR to earn at SR.99
Thus no more SR budget to 'spend' at the top and no more differences between races.

Then go back to shared -3 SR per contact. Not as severe as last week was on the Nordschleife yet:
Avg one SR Down per race settles you at 91 SR.
Avg two SR Downs per race settles you at 79 SR
Avg three SR Downs per race settles you at 67 SR.
etc.

Pastor will take his F1 car and speed without race craft and run away from the Formula Euro racers he now gets matched with and falsely gains SR matching him with the wrong group until he races with top splits for a couple of races.
Maldonado was a **** show in every formula he raced in, and he will crash (and ruin other people's races) at any level. Remember, SR doesn't just account for vehicle-to-vehicle contact, so every time he went off track, and every time he hit a wall completely on his own would be SR down.

His racecraft (and the fact he almost killed a marshal) should have prevented him from ever being F1, but he had sufficient funding to get past that.

Having A+ speed drivers matched with DRC/SRS is always going to be a mess.
As will having DR A+/SR B drivers with DR A+/SR S. That's why SR should be a lot harder to gain, and a limitation on DR to prevent someone from racing at a higher level than their racecraft merits. The fact that SR isn't that hard to gain and the levels are bordering on meaningless is its own issue.
To use your words its OK to put a fast driver in top split races because he wont be able to keep up due to lack of race craft
Those aren't my words, and I can tell they aren't because they're inconsistent. Racecraft has nothing to do with being "able to keep up" - being able to keep up is just speed and car control. What their lack of racecraft would do is ruin the race of anyone around them when they exhibit their lack of racecraft.

DR is speed, and finishing first. SR is racecraft and first finishing. SR has to limit DR (as well as being harder to gain), because it will keep people who don't have any among people who don't have any. Only then will they learn that to progress they need to improve their racecraft and not their speed.

A working penalty system should limit SR. A working SR system should limit DR. Yes, DR is basically an Elo rating system, but even they have room to deal with people (and teams) that break the rules of the game.

Last edited:
DR is speed, and finishing first. SR is racecraft and first finishing. SR has to limit DR (as well as being harder to gain), because it will keep people who don't have any among people who don't have any. Only then will they learn that to progress they need to improve their racecraft and not their speed.

Besides the obvious matchmaking difficulties, why couldn't you have say an DR A/SR C driver with other DR A/SR C drivers? You're actually matching drivers who are alike at that point. With the DR resets, people who are legitimately DR C/ DR S drivers, for example, get punished when these people are working back through the ranks. I try to keep my stints below SR S as short as possible, but it's a pretty common for DR B SR B/C drivers to get matched with DR C or DR B/ SR S drivers in the dailies in NA.

I wonder if the answer is in the middle. Maybe you stop gaining DR without a high SR Rating.

Besides the obvious matchmaking difficulties, why couldn't you have say an DR A/SR C driver with other DR A/SR C drivers?
As far as I understand it, that is what it tries to do - it groups people by highest SR rating, then tries to fill in the groups by highest DR rating, then moves down to the next SR rating block below and does the same.
Maybe you stop gaining DR without a high SR Rating.
That is more or less what I'm saying should happen.

I hadn't actually thought about this until just now, but perhaps SR score could represent the percentage of DR you gain or and the reciprocal of the percentage of DR you lose (though there'd need to be an SR 100). Say you should gain 800DR, but your post-race SR is 50 so you only gain 400.

Meanwhile the chap who should lose 800DR with his SR of 50 actually loses 1,600. The guy whose SR is 5 drops 16,000 instead of 800... that'd **** up their day :lol:

You could abandon DR entirely. Qualifying is a measure of pace.
Matchmaking could be done on Q times and SR.
I would still favour shared blame. The penalty system is only part of the problem, player behaviour is the cause of all the issues. Make it impossible to benefit from poor driving and things would improve.

I hadn't actually thought about this until just now, but perhaps SR score could represent the percentage of DR you gain or and the reciprocal of the percentage of DR you lose (though there'd need to be an SR 100). Say you should gain 800DR, but your post-race SR is 50 so you only gain 400.

Meanwhile the chap who should lose 800DR with his SR of 50 actually loses 1,600. The guy whose SR is 5 drops 16,000 instead of 800... that'd **** up their day :lol:

It sure would. I think the first half of that method is brilliant, honestly. I think it'd be received much better than a DR reset, too.

The second half would create even more people bitching and moaning, haha. Imagine getting punted, taking the SR down and a penalty, finishing DFL, and then having your DR losses multiplied as a result? People would lose their everloving minds, haha.

Qualifying is a measure of pace

I disagree. I've been on both ends of this. For awhile, I was inconsistent as hell and would frequently qualify P1/P2 in lower DR rooms. At gr 4 DTS shortly after I switched over to the wheel, my average starting spot was P1.9 and my average finish was P9. I could put together a hot lap, but not 4-5 laps of racing.

At low DR A, I'm usually in the middle third of the room or lower. I almost never qualify in the top 3-4 positions, but I finish where I start or better more often.

Early in the mornings here in North America, rooms are often DRA+/A/B. A fellow on Monday morning who was DR B was on the pole for a couple races with me, and he finished in the bottom third each race.

I disagree. I've been on both ends of this. For awhile, I was inconsistent as hell and would frequently qualify P1/P2 in lower DR rooms. At gr 4 DTS shortly after I switched over to the wheel, my average starting spot was P1.9 and my average finish was P9. I could put together a hot lap, but not 4-5 laps of racing.

At low DR A, I'm usually in the middle third of the room or lower. I almost never qualify in the top 3-4 positions, but I finish where I start or better more often.

Early in the mornings here in North America, rooms are often DRA+/A/B. A fellow on Monday morning who was DR B was on the pole for a couple races with me, and he finished in the bottom third each race.
Then have qualifying as a 1 shot 3-5 lap aggregate time.

Looks like the penalty system is still as broken after 1.57.

At this point, I feel like PD proved they just can't do a "fair" penalty system. Looks like they gave up and are ok with this broken mess.

Hm, looks like PD either don't know how to make the system recognize dive-bombing or they think it's the responsibility of the dive-bombed to make way and not get hit. Either way, I don't care. I wasn't really expecting any significant changes to the penalty system.

Whenever I go to race in the sport mode, my SR gets damaged from no fault of my own! People dive bomb from nowhere and are way not going to make the corner. I get punted heavily and ( I )get a penalty for it. PD ladies and gentlemen!

As far as I understand it, that is what it tries to do - it groups people by highest SR rating, then tries to fill in the groups by highest DR rating, then moves down to the next SR rating block below and does the same.

You're still using DR as a crutch to fix the problems with SR.
Basically what you're doing is using DR as a 'memory' for SR drops, either by resets or point limiting.
All to fix the real issue which is: too easy to (re)gain SR.

The problem is SR. DR should not be used to fix the problems with SR.

Why not give SR a 'memory' instead of abusing DR for it.
If you lose SR one race, you first have to work off that loss before gaining again.

For example your SR loss is remembered for the next race.
If race B (worth 5 points), start at 99, end at 93, means you incurred -10 SR from a penalty, earned 4, thus lost 6 overall. -10 is the debt.
Next race start at 93, CRB yet you started at -10, debt reduced to -5, no SR gained during the race stay at 93. (instead of to 98)
Next race start at 93, lose 3 SR during the race or gain 1 SR normally, old debt reduced to -4, new debt -7, SR down to 90.
Next race start at 90, CRB yet you started at -7, debt reduced to -2, no SR gained during the race stay at 90.
Next race start at 90, CRB yet you started at -2, debt paid off, 3 SR gained for the race to 93 SR.

Thus one time penalty and one SR Down takes you 6 races to get back to 99 SR instead of already back at 99 with one clean race and one with SR Down.

If you behave really bad, you probably won't work off your debt and will only go further down. Get 3 time penalties in a race or -30 SR, takes 6 times race B just to pay off the debt before you can go up again. No need to reset DR, those naughty drivers will be gone for a long time plus any misbehavior along the way against other A/B drivers, will have them rack up the SR debt again and send them further down.

And while getting kept there, DR will adjust accordingly ;)

You're still using DR as a crutch to fix the problems with SR.
Not really. I acknowledge that SR has issues here:
The fact that SR isn't that hard to gain and the levels are bordering on meaningless is its own issue.
I'm not talking about issues with SR. The underlying point is you can't be a good driver unless you have both ability/speed (DR) and awareness/racecraft (SR). They are separate things which act as their own limiters but drivers need to have both to progress.

If you have no speed, you shouldn't be allowed in with guys who are much faster than you simply because you don't fall off the circuit. Aside from the odd matchmaking hiccup, this pretty much takes care of itself most of the time. If you have no racecraft, you shouldn't be allowed in with guys who are as quick as you until you can learn not to be a liability on the track. This - and largely because SR has its issues - happens far too often, but the fundamental idea is there in that driver SR grades do limit, and even reset, DR grades.

How SR is gained/lost and what the levels actually do are an issue, but racecraft (SR) should limit how high an ability (DR) level a driver is allowed to race at because you can't be a good driver if you're always falling off the track or can't drive in traffic without bouncing off others (or understand what latency is). And it affects all drivers at all levels, not just the top guys who go to World Tours and advertise the game.

Nevertheless, imagine how good the experience would be if people had spent the last 30 months learning that they can't be paired with faster guys, and get higher points from FIA events, go to WT events, get on official Top 16 livestreams, and so on, if they are not respecting track limits or other drivers. That filters down too - people learn that to get up with the faster drivers, they need to be situationally aware and not overdrive, or fight for 11th like it's a podium. If SR worked and limited DR (and the penalty system worked), not touching someone becomes more important than passing them...

It's actually what the goal of GTS really is - the game has two videos on Sportsmanship (which you must watch before ever racing in Sport Mode) but none on how not to be ****. The goal is to educate people on (and I quote) "what to do on track", whatever their ability.

While I gave up on sport mode a while back and consequently packed away GT Sport for good recently so none of this directly affects me now, I can’t help but notice that most of this discussion has been about the impact of various rule iterations on DR/SR. Why?
I always though GT in all it’s forms was supposed to be a racing game.
If you are in 12th place, you absolutely should fight for 11th place as if it were a podium. In a way that would not jeopardise 4th by being penalised for barging the car in front off the track.
Has GT Sport become just another point scoring video game where competitors care more about the arithmetic consequence of a pass the whether they finish 7th rather than 8th?

There is a huge amount of flawed thinking throughout this thread, the 2 most oft repeated being “I was bump-drafting” and the idea that there is one correct braking point for every corner. Bump-drafting involves barely touching the car in front, drafting is the main part, not bump. As for the single braking point, where do you start with that nonsense? Braking points for every car, with every possible driving technique and every possible balance set-up will be different.
The main thing that PD need to do is make the game playable and fun for “the average player”, the guy or girl who plays for an hour or two each week. The best will still be the best.

It should be considered that perhaps for some reason the late move inside that causes some contact giving a pen to the outside car is BY DESIGN.
I know I know, but if this update maintains this rule I don’t know what else to do but start making aggressive moves inside at slow corners where I know I wont knock the guy off...
Most good people consider that dirty (me too) but I think if the system maintains this ‘rule’ maybe I need to adjust my approach...

It should be considered that perhaps for some reason the late move inside that causes some contact giving a pen to the outside car is BY DESIGN.
I know I know, but if this update maintains this rule I don’t know what else to do but start making aggressive moves inside at slow corners where I know I wont knock the guy off...
Most good people consider that dirty (me too) but I think if the system maintains this ‘rule’ maybe I need to adjust my approach...
If you think it is a “dirty” move, then don’t do it. You always have that option.

If you think it is a “dirty” move, then don’t do it. You always have that option.

Yes, but early laps often if you DONT get by and stay behind in fast rooms the horde will get to you, that’s kinda why I brought it up.
In a way it forces you to do it to avoid more sr down...
If I slow because the car in front of me is struggling, and hang out and wait for them players who simply do as the system dictates will attack me, if I’m not going to receive a pen and it’s by design and not a glitch...
I kind of have to prioritize my rank, if I don’t I stand a chance of having to race drivers of lower skill.
If this ‘rule’ is in effect still after all this time it’s logical to assume it’s the way it’s intended to be...

Last edited:
Not really. I acknowledge that SR has issues here:

I'm not talking about issues with SR. The underlying point is you can't be a good driver unless you have both ability/speed (DR) and awareness/racecraft (SR). They are separate things which act as their own limiters but drivers need to have both to progress.

If you have no speed, you shouldn't be allowed in with guys who are much faster than you simply because you don't fall off the circuit. Aside from the odd matchmaking hiccup, this pretty much takes care of itself most of the time. If you have no racecraft, you shouldn't be allowed in with guys who are as quick as you until you can learn not to be a liability on the track. This - and largely because SR has its issues - happens far too often, but the fundamental idea is there in that driver SR grades do limit, and even reset, DR grades.

How SR is gained/lost and what the levels actually do are an issue, but racecraft (SR) should limit how high an ability (DR) level a driver is allowed to race at because you can't be a good driver if you're always falling off the track or can't drive in traffic without bouncing off others (or understand what latency is). And it affects all drivers at all levels, not just the top guys who go to World Tours and advertise the game.

Nevertheless, imagine how good the experience would be if people had spent the last 30 months learning that they can't be paired with faster guys, and get higher points from FIA events, go to WT events, get on official Top 16 livestreams, and so on, if they are not respecting track limits or other drivers. That filters down too - people learn that to get up with the faster drivers, they need to be situationally aware and not overdrive, or fight for 11th like it's a podium. If SR worked and limited DR (and the penalty system worked), not touching someone becomes more important than passing them...

It's actually what the goal of GTS really is - the game has two videos on Sportsmanship (which you must watch before ever racing in Sport Mode) but none on how not to be ****. The goal is to educate people on (and I quote) "what to do on track", whatever their ability.

You are still just talking about the top 1%. FIA at DR A and above, that's the 1%.

If you have no speed, you shouldn't be allowed in with guys who are much faster than you simply because you don't fall off the circuit.

Let's turn that around:

If you can't stay on the circuit you shouldn't be allowed in with guys slower than you that can stay on the track.

That is the reality of the system that's currently in place and achieved by resetting or limiting DR.

Why is that all right?

You should not be able to gain SR if you can't stay on the track. That sort of works since you don't get SR up when you go off but it's far too little. I've been saying for a long time that you should get SR deductions for going off track, hitting walls etc.

Like it or not, SR is the primary matching criteria in GT Sport, not DR and GT Sport is a no contact sport, from the videos.
Clean racing (and staying on track) has the priority in GT Sport, not the best hot lapping speed.
Otherwise matchmaking would simply work on qualifying time.

Imagine how good races will get when people learn you don't simply get a free lunch back to SR.S when you misbehave. That you actually have to pay off your SR debt while getting to race other similar paced 'bad' drivers. That you don't get rewarded with pole to flag victories before getting to race with the fast crowd again.

For FIA I'm all for limiting point gains based on SR. FIA points != DR (otherwise why not simply use your DR after the race as the score?)
DR is simply there to reflect average race speed, leave it alone, let it balance itself out instead of upsetting it all the time.
FIA points, take the minimum of your SR (before and after race) and use that as a percentage to determine your final points.

Can't get high points if you lose SR during the race.
Start with lower SR, even if you earn SR, your base points are still limited and you're likely in a slower room to start with.
Losing SR will actually hurt instead of being a little hurdle with benefits.

Whenever I go to race in the sport mode, my SR gets damaged from no fault of my own! People dive bomb from nowhere and are way not going to make the corner. I get punted heavily and ( I )get a penalty for it. PD ladies and gentlemen!

What's insane to me is how angry they get when you dive bomb them back. What did they think would happen if they exploited dive-bombing to gain a position? That I wouldn't do it back to them? Then they spazz out and try to T bone into me at full speed at the next apex.

Back