PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Looks like the penalty system is still as broken after 1.57.

At this point, I feel like PD proved they just can't do a "fair" penalty system. Looks like they gave up and are ok with this broken mess.

Well - how should I put this. I see a lot of mistakes made there. Besides the clear problem of people trusting others to make clear logical decisions and not being cautious enough of their surroundings. I take the rare point of view to see what the guy in front did wrong. Trying to stick to racing line in traffic - no go. Braking early and diving in for apex or even over grass before the curb after leaving "door open" - no go. Just pretty bad driving there by everyone involved. I wouldnt judge the games ability to give penalties by that kind of example.

Getting these penalties right without live stewards is damn near impossible. Only way is same penalty to everyone or no penalties in case of touch. Of course a proper mechanical damage could help people to learn to avoid others..

Yes, but early laps often if you DONT get by and stay behind in fast rooms the horde will get to you, that’s kinda why I brought it up.
In a way it forces you to do it to avoid more sr down...
If I slow because the car in front of me is struggling, and hang out and wait for them players who simply do as the system dictates will attack me, if I’m not going to receive a pen and it’s by design and not a glitch...
I kind of have to prioritize my rank, if I don’t I stand a chance of having to race drivers of lower skill.
If this ‘rule’ is in effect still after all this time it’s logical to assume it’s the way it’s intended to be...
So the result is you are one of the “dirty” drivers and the viscous circle goes around again.

So the result is you are one of the “dirty” drivers and the viscous circle goes around again.

No not at all, if this IS still the case, which I don’t know for sure, I will not play till later, my rating will stay the same or increase.
Any driver with half a clue can say hmm, game doesn’t like me not covering inside, ok cover inside problem gone.
Hmmm it’s okay to go inside even from a ways back, ok makes passing easier perfect.

What’s dumb is failing to adapt to the rules of the racing series you are in.
If it’s BY DESIGN, it’s not dirty it’s playing by the rules. This is GTS not real life F1...

I tried race A again after the patch. There's plenty banging going around, including people getting rammed into the wall, no penalties trigger, almost all blue S after the race. However be the victim of a dive bomb and you get a penalty
sakiPcq.gif

Without my car there to stop in, or without him aiming for the inside of my car he would have never made that corner.

The only difference, less SR loss this week, I only went from 99 to 97 from that. (Or maybe race A is worth 8 points this week, doubtful)

Nothing fixed, just some useless tweaks again.

No not at all, if this IS still the case, which I don’t know for sure, I will not play till later, my rating will stay the same or increase.
Any driver with half a clue can say hmm, game doesn’t like me not covering inside, ok cover inside problem gone.
Hmmm it’s okay to go inside even from a ways back, ok makes passing easier perfect.

What’s dumb is failing to adapt to the rules of the racing series you are in.
If it’s BY DESIGN, it’s not dirty it’s playing by the rules. This is GTS not real life F1...
Frankly, that’s a poor attempt at justification from someone who has recently criticised others for being annoyed when they were “moved out of the way”.

^^^^Its why I say this is WHAT IS WANTED by PD.
I’m going to adjust to the rules and be just fine...NEVER LET ANYONE INSIDE...OK...
Just racing as if you don’t slready know the rules just doesn’t make sense to me.

@Dmac
It’s not justification it’s simply racing under GTS rules...Fact
Edit also read my post again, I was not referring to me. That’s a straw man.

Edit 2. I’m done trying to hope in idealistic fashion that the system will become what I desire in my own mind.
I will play according to the rules and penalties in the game. When they change, I will change my racing accordingly.
PD has had plenty of time to set things up the way they feel is best.
The only logical idea is to accept their rules and play.
It’s not a glitch. It’s not a cheat. The rules are the rules PD has put into place.
I will abide by those and continue to enjoy GT Sport!

Last edited:
^^^^Its why I say this is WHAT IS WANTED by PD.
I’m going to adjust to the rules and be just fine...NEVER LET ANYONE INSIDE...OK...
Just racing as if you don’t slready know the rules just doesn’t make sense to me.

@Dmac
It’s not justification it’s simply racing under GTS rules...Fact
Edit also read my post again, I was not referring to me. That’s a straw man.
Well it’s not racing under any “rules” really, it’s gaming to utilise an acknowledgedly flawed penalty system to preserve an arithmetic ranking gained under previous flawed systems.
Racing is when you are able to cleanly pass another car, or equally holding a faster car behind you.

@Haitauer
Look: this is dive bombing. Period. No "elite-racer-analyst-IknowbettercozImgudandurnot" BS please.
Just makes you look arrogant when I am sure you are a very cool man IRL.

He's not completely wrong though. On that first turn, you should have known that the traditional racing line wasn't going to work. You were being chased by a full pack and leaving the inside unprotected. 9 times out of 10, someone will always barge pass to the apex there.

When racing ahead of a pack you really only have two relatively safe choices on that turn...
1) Drive wide in the middle of the track to block the inside line and pray you don't get rear-ended into the litter. This has a horrible exit speed though so you may get overtaken if the car behind you takes the outside line.
2) Take a late apex outside line. This will dodge the dive bomber and allow you to retake the position. If they take the inside line cleanly though, they can hold the pass and take your position (usually they don't).

Either way, YOU were the one ramming people on the exit of turn 1. You practically had two cars to your right and you just kept banging into them for some reason. If you are side by side with a car on an outside exit line you must give them room and stay on the outer edge of the track. Likewise, they should give you half a car width at the edge of the track and not drive you off. You totally ignored that and tried to turn back in on a full track and were subsequently penalized for it.

Well it’s not racing under any “rules” really, it’s gaming to utilise an acknowledgedly flawed penalty system to preserve an arithmetic ranking gained under previous flawed systems.
Racing is when you are able to cleanly pass another car, or equally holding a faster car behind you.

Bull. They set it up on purpose! They value inside, ok so do I.
Many real life series do like nose behind pillar no corner rights nose ahead corner rights...
Gts allows passing under less tight parameters that’s all.
Fine.
GTS will penalize me if I touch a car inside in a corner fine.
It’s not complicated. It’s not a glitch. These are their rules. It’s virtual racing not F1. No ones getting hurt no multimillion dollar cars are getting destroyed.
This isn’t War and Peace it’s a dadgum racing game.
Cover inside, don’t be ‘that guy’ crying about someone stole my inside.
They’ve had years to develop the system. I have to believe this is what they want, therefore that’s what we should all do. If you don’t like it find a trackday lobby
Close off inside brake early run a tight line, it’s not like you are harming anyone for crying out loud!
It’s sport mode not paint rainbows in the sky mode.

Bull. They set it up on purpose! They value inside, ok so do I.
Many real life series do like nose behind pillar no corner rights nose ahead corner rights...
Gts allows passing under less tight parameters that’s all.
Fine.
GTS will penalize me if I touch a car inside in a corner fine.
It’s not complicated. It’s not a glitch. These are their rules. It’s virtual racing not F1. No ones getting hurt no multimillion dollar cars are getting destroyed.
This isn’t War and Peace it’s a dadgum racing game.
Cover inside, don’t be ‘that guy’ crying about someone stole my inside.
They’ve had years to develop the system. I have to believe this is what they want, therefore that’s what we should all do. If you don’t like it find a trackday lobby
Close off inside brake early run a tight line, it’s not like you are harming anyone for crying out loud!
It’s sport mode not paint rainbows in the sky mode.
I’m not criticising you personally, just highlighting the fundamental flaw in the game.
The “ultimate driving simulator” has become just another high-score video game. That’s why I don’t play anymore

I’m not criticising you personally, just highlighting the fundamental flaw in the game.
The “ultimate driving simulator” has become just another high-score video game. That’s why I don’t play anymore

Good for you!

I suspect I hit a nerve.

Nope, good move by you.
If you don’t like the rules and can’t play by them simply don’t play!
I like games and sports and play by the rules.

After this many updates I think we need to realize this ‘dive’ is mo is by design. They setup the algorithms not the players.
I say good move play another game if it’s rules suit you better, there’s so many...
Online racing in gts has loose rules re overtaking.

Nope, good move by you.
If you don’t like the rules and can’t play by them simply don’t play!
I like games and sports and play by the rules.

After this many updates I think we need to realize this ‘dive’ is mo is by design. They setup the algorithms not the players.
I say good move play another game if it’s rules suit you better, there’s so many...
Online racing in gts has loose rules re overtaking.
Once again, I would differentiate between the rules of racing and the algorithms of a game.

He's not completely wrong though. On that first turn, you should have known that the traditional racing line wasn't going to work. You were being chased by a full pack and leaving the inside unprotected. 9 times out of 10, someone will always barge pass to the apex there.

When racing ahead of a pack you really only have two relatively safe choices on that turn...
1) Drive wide in the middle of the track to block the inside line and pray you don't get rear-ended into the litter. This has a horrible exit speed though so you may get overtaken if the car behind you takes the outside line.
2) Take a late apex outside line. This will dodge the dive bomber and allow you to retake the position. If they take the inside line cleanly though, they can hold the pass and take your position (usually they don't).

Either way, YOU were the one ramming people on the exit of turn 1. You practically had two cars to your right and you just kept banging into them for some reason. If you are side by side with a car on an outside exit line you must give them room and stay on the outer edge of the track. Likewise, they should give you half a car width at the edge of the track and not drive you off. You totally ignored that and tried to turn back in on a full track and were subsequently penalized for it.

1) This is not my video. just a video a found on YT when trying to see what's new on 1.57 regarding the penalty system .

2) You are not supposed to be "defending" your position when the guy behind you is so far. You should focus on your trajectory because, normally, there is no way he attacks you.
In this particular case, he is not even on the radar and arrives WAY overspeed. He obvioulsy was comming to dive bomb. If he had not hit the car, he would have gone straight out of the track.... I can't even believe you are arguing this.

The next seconds don't need any technical explanation: I think the guy was pissed and rammed into the dive bomber on purpose (or maybe he was testing the penalty system)...

Anyway. If this is not dive bombing, then I don't know what is. Come on man...

Kinda looks like if there’s contact between cars in a corner the car nearest the apex always comes out smelling like a rose.
Hug apex at all costs or yield completely.
Edit as long as steering input is not towards opponent on outside.

Question can you still sideswipe a guy on a straight and get nothing?

Last edited:
Posted this in the daily races discussion, but maybe it’s a better fit here:

Having been away for quite some time I thought I would test out GTS again.
However, I don’t understand two things which seem to have changed:

1. I finished two races well above my “car number”, and got the congrats/handshake screen with happy music, yet Kudosprime shows my DR going down?

2. is the penalty system worse now than a year ago? It’s a complete ramfest seemingly without any punishments..?

Thanks!

So, no returning to dailies until the next update. Good to know.

The ultimate insult to the fanbase is this style of penalty system in the final update when the entire team moves to GT on PS5.

Posted this in the daily races discussion, but maybe it’s a better fit here:

Having been away for quite some time I thought I would test out GTS again.
However, I don’t understand two things which seem to have changed:

1. I finished two races well above my “car number”, and got the congrats/handshake screen with happy music, yet Kudosprime shows my DR going down?

2. is the penalty system worse now than a year ago? It’s a complete ramfest seemingly without any punishments..?

Thanks!

Car number doesn't mean much, your DR compared to that of those in the room determine where you need to finish to gain DR.

The penalty system is worse yep, and in constant yoyo. PD can't get blame assignment to work at all but still insists on punishing one car, usually the wrong one. Most of the time neither get punished hence the current wreck fest style racing. Last week had severe punishments for certain contacts, this week seems very lenient again.

All this yoyo stuff and punishing the victim has led to clean drivers ending up in low SR while elbows out and dive bomb racers are up in SR.S. DR has been scrambled from all the DR resets and resulting bad matchmaking.

Then there's an influx of new players due to the current crisis, no school so kids always playing. Result, worst race craft on track since GTS started and any new comers to GTS get trained to drive dirty to survive.

A guy from Brasil just forced me off on the right side at the small straight after T1 Fuji. He just applied pressure on me until I was in the grass, when I promptly got a 2 sec for forcing another car off the track.
Yeah, this sounds like the colliding with another car penalties I have gotten at Tokyo this week for getting rammed into the wall by a suicidal pass. I think it is turning into attack mode.

1) This is not my video. just a video a found on YT when trying to see what's new on 1.57 regarding the penalty system .

2) You are not supposed to be "defending" your position when the guy behind you is so far. You should focus on your trajectory because, normally, there is no way he attacks you.
In this particular case, he is not even on the radar and arrives WAY overspeed. He obvioulsy was comming to dive bomb. If he had not hit the car, he would have gone straight out of the track.... I can't even believe you are arguing this.

The next seconds don't need any technical explanation: I think the guy was pissed and rammed into the dive bomber on purpose (or maybe he was testing the penalty system)...

Anyway. If this is not dive bombing, then I don't know what is. Come on man...

Sorry for attributing you to the behavior of the clip. Disregard any blame I made.

You've completely missed my point. You mistook my mention of the lead driver's culpability as a complete defense of the dive bomber. At no point in my comment did I ever excuse the dive bomber so I don't understand where you derived that idea. The lead driver could have avoided the collision and used that opportunity to exploit the other driver's error. Instead, the lead driver was oblivious and his race was ruined for it.

Once again, I would differentiate between the rules of racing and the algorithms of a game.

I agree. One is real world and one is virtual.
I think the algorithm is looking at contact and apex proximity.
Which if you think about FIA makes some sense. The inside car is closest to apex hence no pens.

Well after reading posts and watching videos people posted, the system seems almost no different than from before the patch. Perhaps optimistic but maybe there's changes set to go live later in the week to coincide with FIA or next week's daily races. It's unlike PD to go back on their word in respect to promised changes/updates.

As we know, adjustments to the penalty system can be made server-side so no need for an update patch.

Well after reading posts and watching videos people posted, the system seems almost no different than from before the patch. Perhaps optimistic but maybe there's changes set to go live later in the week to coincide with FIA or next week's daily races. It's unlike PD to go back on their word in respect to promised changes/updates.

As we know, adjustments to the penalty system can be made server-side so no need for an update patch.

I’ve been on race A. I haven’t had any issues. Seems fine, just cover people off and if you don’t make sure you don’t hit them.

Still ****?

No. It's worse now. :lol:

Perhaps optimistic but maybe there's changes set to go live later in the week to coincide with FIA or next week's daily races.

There are definitely things in the game now that aren't active yet (like the live tyre wear and fuel consumption during daily race C quali) so there's still hope I guess. The penalty system seems the same or at least very similar to 1.56 so maybe they haven't switched to it yet. If they have then the changes are definitely not for the better.

Last edited:
Back