PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Seriously mate... I mean... So much "elite gamer" non sense in your post. It's painful.

I just think after all this time this must be what they want.
:(
It’s a fun game if you play according to the rules.
At this point after this much time you either like things cutthroat or you play a different game.
I MUCH PREFER proper racing.
However right now the rules say divebomb is ok, I like online racing and will race according to the rules.
I’d love it if the rules reflected real Motorsport, but they don’t seem to right now. :(

At this point after this much time you either like things cutthroat or you play a different game.
However right now the rules say divebomb is ok, I like online racing and will race according to the rules.
I’d love it if the rules reflected real Motorsport, but they don’t seem to right now. :(

Absolutely. BUT this is not a game design decision, it s a FAILURE from PD to deliver a proper and fair penalty system. There is no way around that.

They have been working on this for years now and it is still a terrible terrible mess.

I think the only decision they made on the matter is to give up trying.

Which is a shame cause GT7 will need a proper penalty system too... the most crucial role for GTS should have been to set the basis of GT7's system.

We should be reassured that GT7 online races will be better than everything else... but it's the contrary: PD just proved they have no idea how to fix this.

And look: I agree it s a very complicated matter... but PD should have had a working prototype before even making the decision to switch to an online racing game in the first place... If anything ,

GTS showed PD could not deliver...Again and again.

I really think Kaz is the problem.

You are making excuses for a game that Polyphony seriously 🤬 up and can not fix for some ridiculous reason. Remind me how much fun it is when someone decides to use your rear bumper as a brake for the next corner and you head into the kitty litter while you watch the perp sail thru the next sector with no penalty while you get slowed at the next penalty zone for your infraction. It happens.

You are making excuses

I don't think he's making excuses (and said in the reply you quoted that he prefers proper racing rules), he's giving advice on how to make the best out of a dire situation and to play by the 'rules' the penalty system has created. Whether those (absurd) rules are intentional or not, who can know.

Anyhow, no changes today in light of the FIA season start so I assume we're stuck with the current system for now, sadly.

Last edited:
Also they refer to it is a matchmaking system not a penalty system.
Nowhere does it say the system will provide clean racing either that I’ve found.
‘Fair racing’ yes.
Racing can get ‘hard’ in real life. It definitely is now in game also.

Last edited:
Also they refer to it is a matchmaking system not a penalty system.
Nowhere does it say the system will provide clean racing either that I’ve found.
‘Fair racing’ yes.
Racing can get ‘hard’ in real life. It definitely is now in game also.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/14/gran-turismo-sport-eight-things-you-need-to-know/

Always Race an Equal — Advanced Matchmaking

There’s nothing worse than taking to the track and finding yourself pulling up alongside the next racing superstar in your first race.

The matchmaking system in GT Sport has been tuned to ensure that racers of similar abilities are pitted against each other. So, when you start off fresh, you’ll be placed against drivers of similar ability. As you build up time on the track, you’ll be rematched accordingly.

For those that are curious, the matchmaking is based on three key metrics:
  • Driver Level — Your driver level increases with XP gained in races.
  • Sportsmanship Rating (“Sport Mode”) — Just like in real world driving, we want to reward those that drive, and race, clean. So stick to the track, and limit the number of collisions to secure a positive sportsmanship rating.
  • Driver Rating (“Sport Mode”) — Starting on E, you can build towards achieving the coveted “S” rating — but watch out, a bad sportsmanship rating will limit your ability to progress.

Let's see, matchmaking fails to pit racers of similar abilities against each other. DR.A(+) to DR.D in the same room happens all the time. DR resets make one DR.B racer completely different from another DR.B racer.

Sprotmanship Rating, fails to reward those that drive, and race, clean. It however rewards those that race dirty, push people off the track and/or dive bomb.

2020/04/25 today, 954 days later, total failure.

Sprotmanship Rating, fails to reward those that drive, and race, clean. It however rewards those that race dirty, push people off the track and/or dive bomb.

2020/04/25 today, 954 days later, total failure.

Hmm point taken.
That’s exactly what it’s doing right now.
On daily A I completely BLASTED a guy on the hairpin, yes I was pissed off!
Lol

HE GOT 2 SECONDS LOL.
I ADMIT, I did the exact move a couple times to some ‘friends’
SAME RESULT EVERY TIME!

I do think they want it this way though,
They cannot possibly be this incompetent.
It has to be a design decision.

If you accept my premise, that getting to apex first precludes you from receiving penalties, and you look at that FIA bit posted above the ‘code’ then that concept sort of does make sense, from a certain point of view.

I just know the team that can put together a game of such quality can’t possibly foist a system on us that they don’t believe will produce some result they are trying to achieve. There has to be somewhere a developer with an intent, somehow, maybe influenced by FIA who thought this seemed like a good idea.

Personally I’ve said ever since they changed from shared fault for contact that it was a bad move!

Years later, here we are, things are to a point where others are agreeing that they ought to make it shared fault, which is how it was at games release!

Again I’d like to thank all the whiners who cried about it being too strict!
I liked it!
AS A PLAYER I AM WHATEVER THE SYSTEM MAKES ME.

Hmm point taken.
That’s exactly what it’s doing right now.
On daily A I completely BLASTED a guy on the hairpin, yes I was pissed off!
Lol

HE GOT 2 SECONDS LOL.
I ADMIT, I did the exact move a couple times to some ‘friends’
SAME RESULT EVERY TIME!

I do think they want it this way though,
They cannot possibly be this incompetent.
It has to be a design decision.

If you accept my premise, that getting to apex first precludes you from receiving penalties, and you look at that FIA bit posted above the ‘code’ then that concept sort of does make sense, from a certain point of view.

I just know the team that can put together a game of such quality can’t possibly foist a system on us that they don’t believe will produce some result they are trying to achieve. There has to be somewhere a developer with an intent, somehow, maybe influenced by FIA who thought this seemed like a good idea.

Personally I’ve said ever since they changed from shared fault for contact that it was a bad move!

Years later, here we are, things are to a point where others are agreeing that they ought to make it shared fault, which is how it was at games release!

Again I’d like to thank all the whiners who cried about it being too strict!
I liked it!
AS A PLAYER I AM WHATEVER THE SYSTEM MAKES ME.

The server doesn't know where the apex is. All it sees is one car (the outside car) goes faster than the other car (the inside car), simple physics, higher orbit, faster speed, slower turn rate. What FIA wants is to penalize advantages, whether it be shortcuts or getting a speed boost from another car. The inside car closest to the apex, transfers momentum to the outside car (now failing to make the turn) thus the outside car gained speed while the inside car lost some (and can now make the turn), outside car gets a penalty.

So yep, they implemented exactly what FIA wants, although I fail to see why the car that gets pushed off now gets a penalty for forcing another car off the road.

It's been a lost cause ever since PD moved the penalty decisions to the server (about July 2018) without giving the server any knowledge of where on track contacts happen. I don't know what they're doing, stalling until ps5 comes out? The penalty system requires some real effort to fix yet all we get is these simple tweaks, including simply swapping aggressor and victim in the case of forcing a car off.

It's been a lost cause ever since PD moved the penalty decisions to the server (about July 2018) without giving the server any knowledge of where on track contacts happen. I don't know what they're doing, stalling until ps5 comes out? The penalty system requires some real effort to fix yet all we get is these simple tweaks, including simply swapping aggressor and victim in the case of forcing a car off.

Surely they still have an obligation to ensure that users who have invested in the game and pay a subscription to play online are able to play a 'fit for purpose' game. If they are concentrating on the next version of GTS / PS5 and neglecting current users, then poor show in my opinion. As said before, when you have completed all the driving school / challenges / Arcade etc, then online is the natural progression, once sufficient experience has been gained. The online 'Sport' must therefore be entirely satisfactory and award the good and clean drivers. As such, they need to nail the penalty system in the existing version, as there is no point in bringing out another with the same failings. You can have all the fancy graphics and cars you like, but if the system is broken (and it's worse now than ever) then it's a complete waste of time and money.

Agreed. A horrible implementation and a total waste of time. It’s now deleted from my system and I am back with iRacing.
ACC comes out in June for the PS4 as well, so recommend taking a look at that.

If you continue to support GTS/PD I really do pity you.

It's OK, we don't need the pity. Grown ups can make their own decisions. For some the penalties are race ruining, for others not.
I can deal with the occasional dirty race, and I have to,but I still prefer GTS.
To each his own.
I really don’t care if you “need” my pity. You have it all the same.

I find it sad that you and others continue to endure the catastrophic failure that is GTS online racing.
The penalty system implementation is objectively broken.

But by all means, enjoy your free will.

I really don’t care if you “need” my pity. You have it all the same.

I find it sad that you and others continue to endure the catastrophic failure that is GTS online racing.
The penalty system implementation is objectively broken.

But by all means, enjoy your free will.
As I said, to each his own. I for one find it sad that you dislike it so much that you uninstall it.
I have had a great deal of "luck" by adapting my driving to racing, instead of driving the qualifying line in races and to up my awareness in game. It hasn't removed the dirty driving but it has certainly reduced my recieving of it.

As I said, to each his own. I for one find it sad that you dislike it so much that you uninstall it.
I have had a great deal of "luck" by adapting my driving to racing, instead of driving the qualifying line in races and to up my awareness in game. It hasn't removed the dirty driving but it has certainly reduced my recieving of it.
Read the posts earlier or the new one in the FIA thread. This has nothing to do with driving a quali line. Quite the opposite.
And no one should have to adapt their race craft to a broken penalty system.

Read the posts earlier or the new one in the FIA thread. This has nothing to do with driving a quali line. Quite the opposite.
And no one should have to adapt their race craft to a broken penalty system.
I agree with the broken penalty system. And I also agree that no one should have to adapt to it. But it's either that or not play. And it's up to each one to choose what they find appropriate action

I agree with the broken penalty system. And I also agree that no one should have to adapt to it. But it's either that or not play. And it's up to each one to choose what they find appropriate action
Of course. I never attempted to you what you should do.
I just stated that I pity those who chose to spend a substantial amount of free time on a game that is broken and likely never will get fixed.

A FIA race is a 1.5-2 hour Investment. To have that time repeatedly become wasted time due to the penalty system is just not a wise choice. Granted, if you are lucky and manage to avoid such incidents, then fine. But I don’t think that’s how it’s working out long term.

Luck only goes so far.

People get influenced by the broken system and racing is suffering, badly.
I don’t want to ruin my race craft by adapting. So I go elsewhere.
And before I do I state my case here since there is a tiny chance others may see that GTS is a waste of time.

And here I am, not even that good at putting my car in the right place, and I haven't had a bs penalty in months.

At a certain point it's luck of the draw. Perhaps racing 10, 20 times or more every day gives you a much higher chance at a bad draw.

To be honest when I read this thread the examples - almost always posted without evidence - seem usually either vague to the point I believe they're exaggerated, open to interpretation as to where blame lies, or freakish outliers.

Sure this is racing, one mistake can ruin 14 laps of racing, no one wants that to happen and not see the guilty party penalised, sure. However I don't think it's cool to outright bash PD and call their game broken and presume they don't care just because of one problem that not even every user is experiencing.

The rules of football exist, but a lot of times players can get away with fouls when referees aren't looking or human error can be made when judging them. Does that make football an inherently flawed sport that FIFA just doesn't care to get right? No. It's a few bad eggs.

My advice is just to care less. Gain some perspective. Let your ratings tank. Stop looking at K prime if you have to (sorry Milouse).

I honestly feel if you drive aware and relaxed, and stay out the way of clearly aggy drivers (let them spear themselves off rather than forcing passes on people who clearly hate being passed) you too can be like me and experience next to no injustice from the penalty system. Not every god damn position matters - it IS a game for all it's attempts to disguise itself as a sport.

I'm not a great driver with a nuanced understanding of positioning for every corner or situation by a LOOONG stretch. I even raced in NA region the other day in the Tokyo race and experienced Brazilian ping pong. I was blocked, squeezed and outright rammed. None of that gave me a penalty, the only one I got was a wall penalty for my own overdoing it.

At a certain point I just don't buy that the game is "out to get you".

Oh, my, that's a lot of pitchforks...

Sorry, Max. I am going to use you as an example, but please don't take it personally. But this is just hilarious.

And here I am, not even that good at putting my car in the right place, and I haven't had a bs penalty in months.

At a certain point it's luck of the draw. Perhaps racing 10, 20 times or more every day gives you a much higher chance at a bad draw.

Well, not sure. I think I know the reason why you don't get BS penalties. We'll get to that soon.

To be honest when I read this thread the examples - almost always posted without evidence - seem usually either vague to the point I believe they're exaggerated, open to interpretation as to where blame lies, or freakish outliers.

So you are accusing others of twisting the truth? Myself included? If I say I get a penalty for being forced off the track, is that a blatant lie?

Sure this is racing, one mistake can ruin 14 laps of racing, no one wants that to happen and not see the guilty party penalised, sure. However I don't think it's cool to outright bash PD and call their game broken and presume they don't care just because of one problem that not even every user is experiencing.

The rules of football exist, but a lot of times players can get away with fouls when referees aren't looking or human error can be made when judging them. Does that make football an inherently flawed sport that FIFA just doesn't care to get right? No. It's a few bad eggs.
To use your analogy: How about if FIFA frequently assigned blame to the wronged party? "Oh, you got knocked down aggressively for no reason - Ok, here's a red card for you and the other team gets a penalty kick". Do you think transgressions would increase or decrease. Right. THAT's the problem with GTS and PD.

And now we get to your experience.
My advice is just to care less. Gain some perspective. Let your ratings tank. Stop looking at K prime if you have to (sorry Milouse).

I honestly feel if you drive aware and relaxed, and stay out the way of clearly aggy drivers (let them spear themselves off rather than forcing passes on people who clearly hate being passed) you too can be like me and experience next to no injustice from the penalty system. Not every god damn position matters - it IS a game for all it's attempts to disguise itself as a sport.
So, in short: Adjust to the environment. That's why you're not getting penalties: You don't race.

Don't attempt to pass aggressive drivers, and let aggressive drivers pass you? Don't you see what a huge failure that is? Racing is all about going for the gaps, but with the understanding that no one will act in a manner that may put your life at risk. In a game that risk/fear deterrent doesn't work, so we need rules. But if the rules do not punish aggressive behaviour that would have threatened lives in RL, then the simulation is not going to be able to replicate RL racing in any way.

And here is the proof:
I'm not a great driver with a nuanced understanding of positioning for every corner or situation by a LOOONG stretch. I even raced in NA region the other day in the Tokyo race and experienced Brazilian ping pong. I was blocked, squeezed and outright rammed. None of that gave me a penalty, the only one I got was a wall penalty for my own overdoing it.
The points you so clearly illustrate here are two:
1. You got to enjoy a chaotic race that would NEVER have played out like that in real life. Blocking, ramming, squeezing. Fun, right? No.
2. Yay, you didn't get a penalty? You're missing the point: Likely, NO other player got a penalty either for their blocking, ramming and squeezing. So they'll do exactly the same thing again, because it worked.

The game isn't out to get me. It's just broken and the "penalty system" designed to award clean racing is doing EXACTLY the opposite. It rewards unrealistic and aggressive behaviour that would end a racing career.

No pitchfork from me either (again, don't take this personally). I just cannot fathom how people cannot see how broken this is, and that PD either do not care, or are not competent enough to fix it.

I would go with "do not care" since clearly iRacing is doing much better by having a no-fault system (both parties get a penalty, so you can never get away with a bad move), and a real reporting system with reviews. If someone is driving badly enough, they get banned. Simple.

But anyway, I have now invested as much time on debating here as I did getting penalised and rammed in FIA yesterday. So unless someone blatantly attacks me or the logic above, I'll leave you to hopefully enjoy the broken mess that is GTS.

I will spend my time wiser in games that actually reward good race craft so I build skills that transfer well to RL track days.

Sorry, Max. I am going to use you as an example, but please don't take it personally. But this is just hilarious.

Well, not sure. I think I know the reason why you don't get BS penalties. We'll get to that soon.

So you are accusing others of twisting the truth? Myself included? If I say I get a penalty for being forced off the track, is that a blatant lie?

To use your analogy: How about if FIFA frequently assigned blame to the wronged party? "Oh, you got knocked down aggressively for no reason - Ok, here's a red card for you and the other team gets a penalty kick". Do you think transgressions would increase or decrease. Right. THAT's the problem with GTS and PD.

And now we get to your experience.

So, in short: Adjust to the environment. Don't attempt to pass aggressive drivers, and let aggressive drivers pass you? Don't you see what a huge failure that is? Racing is all about going for the gaps, but with the understanding that no one will act in a manner that may put your life at risk. In a game that risk/fear deterrent doesn't work, so we need rules. But if the rules do not punish aggressive behaviour that would have threatened lives in RL, then the simulation is not going to be able to replicate RL racing in any way.

And here is the proof:

The points you so clearly illustrate here are two:
1. You got to enjoy a chaotic race that would NEVER have played out like that in real life. Blocking, ramming, squeezing. Fun, right? No.
2. Yay, you didn't get a penalty? You're missing the point: Likely, NO other player got a penalty either for their blocking, ramming and squeezing. So they'll do exactly the same thing again, because it worked.

The game isn't out to get me. It's just broken and the "penalty system" designed to award clean racing is doing EXACTLY the opposite. It rewards unrealistic and aggressive behaviour that would end a racing career.

No pitchfork from me either (again, don't take this personally). I just cannot fathom how people cannot see how broken this is, and that PD either do not care, or are not competent enough to fix it.

I would go with "do not care" since clearly iRacing is doing much better by having a no-fault system (both parties get a penalty, so you can never get away with a bad move), and a real reporting system with reviews. If someone is driving badly enough, they get banned. Simple.

But anyway, I have now invested as much time on debating here as I did getting penalised and rammed in FIA yesterday. So unless someone blatantly attacks me or the logic above, I'll leave you to hopefully enjoy the broken mess that is GTS.

I will spend my time wiser in games that actually reward good race craft so I build skills that transfer well to RL track days.
I'm not going to drag you into an argument, just address a couple of points;

There were penalties in the Tokyo race I mentioned for the rammers. I went from the back to P6 mostly by driving straight through rammers serving their hefty penalties. It's Tokyo and I knew what to expect; it's not a track anyone sensible races at for SR purposes, I think that's widely known enough.

And no, I really don't see it as a failure to not force passes. I see it as a wiser move. I try to put myself in the shoes of the guys ahead, generally if they are in a three wide pack, bumping and scraping, clearly not happy with the drivers around one, me diving from way back to get involved isn't going to help either of us.

As for deterring things that would have been dangerous IRL, that's a double edged sword. Exactly simulating real life is cool, sure, but why not take advantage of the fact that there isn't actually a risk to life or limb here by being that much more lenient with contact and close racing.

In real life, injury is a risk but also racecars are very expensive and preserving them from damage is a serious factor in racing. We have no need to be that careful; we don't pay for repairs or replacements and a crash doesn't take our car out of action. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. In online racing of any kind you will see a huge amount more low percentage risky moves, the kind we praise people like Verstappen and Ricciardo for in real racing.

As you've mentioned, there are alternative games with different philosophies for clean racing. I'd suggest people who find the GTS penalty system so abhorrent just have different wishes, different things they want out of the game than me. That's fine, everyone is different, but just because the game doesn't meet your personal definition of a perfect system, doesn't mean it's inherently flawed or that PD just doesn't care.

It's that last sentiment that irks me. The idea that Kaz just doesn't care if people enjoy his game seems completely alien to me. We've had multiple updates and changes to the penalty system (not to mention physics, tire wear, slipstream) that all stem from player complaints. Certain times they haven't got it right. That doesn't equate to "**** 'em" in any language.

There are bad races, and there are bad games.

Game where I race all day and penalties occasionally ruin one - bad races.

ARK: Survival Evolved - bad game. If you want to experience a game where developers don't care, the base mechanics barely function, and the servers are poorly maintained, try that on for size.

I've been done over by ridiculous penalties but I basically agree with everything you've said.

Racing is not all about going for the gaps. Please stop using that Senna quote to justify anything.

Racing is about making safe passes, racing is about thinking ahead, racing is about reading your opponents and about using your knowledge to overcome weaknesses and exploit strengths.

Edit: I had a pretty bad race this morning where I got crowded, squeezed and even dive-bombed but once I look at the replay I can no longer say it's so clear-cut.
The guy tha squeezed me off was accidentally hit by another car, so his angle was shifted and that's why it happened.
Even the dive-bomb was questionable, it looks like a missed brake point, his braking goes from 0-100 in an instant and too late.
So I am not sure enough to point the finger at any of them.
If someone is repeatedly doing clearly nefarious things I will report but it's so hard to tell from inside the game

Last edited:
With this particular game's physics, most players should know what to expect. Add the latency thing, clean and dirty player, new players that have leveled up, quick players and not so quick players, stuff is going to happen.

I've been fortunate in my races this week. Mainly because I've done less racing. Actually paced myself with one to two races per day. Ran maybe two to three Race C all week.

Of course, the more a player races, the greater risk of penalties. Same for some one that doesn't play alot. We've all had that one bad race after coming back from a break.

I mainly take. Break from AC and PC2 because there is nearly TOO MUCH I want to do at one time. I want to race Procar in PC2. Next, GT3 in AC. Next, Vintage GT-B in PC2, etcetera etcetera.

GTS is a quick pick up game. Jump in Sport Mode and play. When I have a bad race or dubious penalties or both, I yell at the screen(maybe) and take out my frustration in GTA V.

I'll keep playing, because I just love cars and I'll watch my replays when I know frustration is about to surface.

ARK: Survival Evolved - bad game. If you want to experience a game where developers don't care, the base mechanics barely function, and the servers are poorly maintained, try that on for size.

Funny, I play both GTS and ARK, as well as have played a lot of NMS (but there the developer did care). I like failed games.

In the end: GTS fun to pick up and play, not fun if you take it serious.

FIA for me isn't worth spending time on, but when a good track is on in the dailies I'll put up with the BS to race whenever I want. The problem with other online games is too small of a user base to get a full room at any time of the day.

And yep, the more races you do, the more chance at BS penalties, but also more chance at getting some good races. If you only play a few you might get a few bad ones, GTS is crap, you might get spared, GTS is awesome.

Best times to race and increase your chances at a good race, now all the schools are closed, mornings 7am EST to 10am EST and evenings after 10pm EST. worst time 5pm EST to 9pm EST.

Yep,go jump in your car. It's a 5 speed,but when you go to hit 4th gear,it drops back to first. No problem,deal with it and adapt. As you pick up parts of your tranny off the road.

Anyone who says that the penalty system is fine in GTS is a fraud. Won't even bother speaking with them. Just like I would ignore people who say that the Earth is flat,...

Deniers are the problem as much as Kaz.

If you enjoy the game, fine. Does not mean it's not broken.

Yep,go jump in your car. It's a 5 speed,but when you go to hit 4th gear,it drops back to first. No problem,deal with it and adapt. As you pick up parts of your tranny off the road.
:eek:
If someone can go from 5th to 1st, they shouldn't be driving a stick!

I will say also, yesterday I ran in a 2 hour race that the host used custom settings for the car on, it was like a real race, very cool. That’s definitely an option also.
There looks to be LOADS of great leagues and good people who run lobbies right here on this site.
The participants all have the similar interest in proper racing.
So if you love this game, like me, and can keep your car on track and not hit others I’m sure there’s a group here that you can join if that’s the experience you’re after.

For me there’s just something about sport mode.
It has the possibility of inducing rage, but let’s be honest the MAJORITY of races rate from decent to good to absolutely incredible.
I like sprints, and when the dailies have a c race that’s easy to gain sr in then the a or b will be very cutthroat at times...
I like that, I like that the players are not guaranteed not to touch you.
In a way I think all the aspects we whine about in this thread combined with putting your rating on the line with each entry make sport mode special.
Tbh as far as bs penalties go, I think in recent memory I did take a one second one early this week, but nothing was lost that can’t be regained.
If you are sensitive enough that one incident or bad race will cause you to come unglued then that’s your own issue.
I know I’ve had a few times I was out to wreck everyone and took multiple pens and sr downs, but you know you just work on it and put perspective on things.
Over time you will prevail if you work on racecraft a bit.
Seems like some are just very sensitive flowers and mentally are unable to handle competitive online environments.
I respect that, but that ain’t me babe.

Last edited:
Back