Penso's Garage - NEW Toyota 86 GT Seasonal Tune - 1:34.261

Tsukuba Circuit_1.jpg

Hallelujah!! I don't know if it's new car modelling on PD's part or the new physics or something else, but the Silvia is now a car to be reckoned with at 450PP. In GT5 it was smooth and felt quick but was always off the pace. Understeer on entry, oversteer on exit and you could never get comfortable with it. It's much more precise in GT6, while maintaining most of the stability it's known for and some of the exit, power on oversteer, but that just makes it a little more exciting!!! It really excels on the larger more flowing circuits like Mount Panorama and the Full Nurb but it worked well on a half dozen tracks I tested it on. A must have for every 450PP racer.

upload_2014-2-1_20-53-0.png

upload_2014-2-1_20-56-15.png

Ronda_1.jpg

Only 200 of these were built by Nissan for homologation into the World Rallying Championship. 230+HP stock and less than 1000 kgs made for a formidable street car in the 80's and PD has seen fit to give it a little more grip than it did in GT5, making it a great performer in GT6. It doesn't quite have the surefootedness of more modern cars nor should it. It's light and powerful so you have to be wary of excessive wheelspin at certain times but the upside is you'll never be bored driving this car!!! And it's very fast on the top end, tying the Dino at Bathurst with a top speed of 259 km/h. Engine sound is very good too, and it's worth buying it just to hear it start up in your garage. One of the best startup sounds in the game.

upload_2014-2-1_21-41-40.png

upload_2014-2-1_21-43-20.png

Hey Johny, I've built up a 240RS and had quick offline run on Trial Mountain and the Nordschleife. As you say, it's a totally different beast from GT5 - even various tuned ones I tried were a pain in the rear.

This is great though: certainly fast and has superb traction, the back-end only really breaks away if you poke the throttle too much/too early and even then the slide tends to be easy enough to catch. The revs have to be kept high - no lazy torque here so you need to work the gears a bit; just keep above 6k and it's all good.

I did find a bit of understeer in the faster corners as it is not so forgiving if you miss your entry line. However this is not at all catastrophic and it will dig in enough to pull back if you let off the gas, or you can attempt to bring the back-end round with a stab of the throttle if you're travelling not too fast. Get it right, though, and you can carry plenty of speed through any type of corner.

I'll certainly be using this a whole lot more as it's fast and fun, though I expect it might catch me out online with the reduced grip :banghead:.

While I'm here I feel I should heap some more praise on the Dino :lol:. I ended up spending two hours just driving on various courses. The Dino is such a good drive, it totally rewards confidence and felt better and better the more I used it. Very addictive.

It is as at home in the Alps as a flat racetrack or the tight city streets. I didn't bother adjusting the final drive, though it probably would help acceleration on the slower/shorter tracks, but it meant I could use first out of the London corners without detriment.

Great work Johnny :bowdown:.

I look forward to seeing some more not-so-obvious cars 👍.

...feedback...
Thanks for the feedback, I need all I can get:lol: You've hit the 240RS on the head. You've got to be fairly precise with the steering and entry speed to get everything out of it. I had to strike a balance with it because if you made the front end too sharp you'd lose the back end more often and it was punishing with so much power and so little weight, there was a big delay getting back on the throttle if the back end got too out of shape.

I'm putting the finishing touches on an RS200 that you should love and it's extremely fast:cheers:. PD has done a bang up job with the older cars and you can really feel the difference between them and the stuff from the last 10 years or so. Newer is easier to drive and tune, older is just as fast (unlike GT5 IME) but more on the edge and less forgiving making them more fun to drive but still competitive.

PD has done a bang up job with the older cars and you can really feel the difference between them and the stuff from the last 10 years or so. Newer is easier to drive and tune, older is just as fast (unlike GT5 IME) but more on the edge and less forgiving making them more fun to drive but still competitive.

Yes, they are much better and the right cars can be as fast the usual suspects. I've actually made a driveable 450pp Spitfire which I didn't find possible in GT5: it's still a handful but good fun, if not competitive.

I had a rare wheel session with the old DFP last night, and took the 240RS for some runs. I got 8:01.8 at the Nord (offline, warm tyres) which is my fastest 450pp/SH time so far in GT6 and is a good time for me (I'm no RingMeister :lol:). Made 162 MPH at the Dottingher Hohe bridge and the high speed braking at the end of the straight was very stable (this is often a lap killer for me).

As I'm one for using the underdog and the unlikely, I then tried the Tour of Japan in IB - I put SS on to match the AI and won Motegi (just). I had to up the power to 300 BHP for Tokyo as the LFA would leave me standing on the straights. Even when I got past him before the narrow section into the underpass he was all over me like a cheap suit, and then I had to block on the straight to the line :dopey:. The understeer did show at Tokyo, even with SS, but then I was sometimes pushing a bit hard to try and get the better of the Lexus. Took about 5 attempts as the AI were keen to PITT me at every opportunity :ouch:.

Suzuka was pretty sweet in the 300BHP/SS config and I would have won, except I ran off in the esses on the final lap to let the LFA and GTR through and I finished second behind the Lexus. It got too late to make another attempt.

Very enjoyable car, and the setup worked well on the SS against the much more powerful AI but is obviously more fun on SH (as designed).

I loved this car in GT5 but it wasn't quite up to speed. In GT6 it's absolutely awesome, extremely quick, into the mid 7:40's at the 'Ring!!! This car wants to turn and it's extremely sensitive sometimes to brake release oversteer, which if you time it correctly of course, can be used to your advantage. It'll take a little practice to get the feel of it but when you do you'll find that you can make this car dance all around just about every circuit in the game. Modulate the throttle lightly when the tail begins to move around just like in any other MR. Smaller and more precise steering inputs are rewarded. It's definitely easier to take this car to the limit with left foot braking. 4wd makes it very quick off the line for those online races where you want to beat the crowd to the first corner.

Parts List
Suspension - Custom Suspension
Transmission - Custom Transmission
Drivetrain - All drivetrain upgrades
Power - Exhaust Manifold, Catalytic Converter Sports, Intake Tuning
Body - Chassis Reinforcement

Note: Transmission set using tranny method #2

upload_2014-2-5_23-17-46.png

Last edited:

I expected it to be a bit tricky so went to Trial Mountain as I do a lot of testing here and is one of my most consistent tracks. I didn't adjust the FD, but the RS200 is still fast, carrying good speed through the corner, and with the 4wd comes the grip and superb exits.

I actually found the RS stable and mostly friendly, with corner entry being the maker or breaker. This is somewhat of a precise art: a balancing act between a slight 4WD understeer (eg the final left-right onto the S/F straight) and Midship oversteer under braking. The braking instability was the only real problem for me and is summed up by the entry into the first tunnel.

I normally brake late from the outside and trail brake to the inside at the tunnel mouth and then get back on the gas. With the mid-engine RS, I lost the back end several times here before hitting the brakes earlier and lighter, keeping some gas helps stabilise of course. I haven't spent much time with mid-engine cars, so I suppose it's a technique that takes some honing.

Need to check my time - but it was competitive even with suboptimal gearing and some twitchy corners.

A bit of a mixed bag for me this one. I did enjoy the drive, and I could see it's potential with the right driver, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time to practice enough to get the best out of it. And I don't think I should go near the Nordschleife in it :lol:.

I expected it to be a bit tricky so went to Trial Mountain as I do a lot of testing here and is one of my most consistent tracks. I didn't adjust the FD, but the RS200 is still fast, carrying good speed through the corner, and with the 4wd comes the grip and superb exits.

I actually found the RS stable and mostly friendly, with corner entry being the maker or breaker. This is somewhat of a precise art: a balancing act between a slight 4WD understeer (eg the final left-right onto the S/F straight) and Midship oversteer under braking. The braking instability was the only real problem for me and is summed up by the entry into the first tunnel.

I normally brake late from the outside and trail brake to the inside at the tunnel mouth and then get back on the gas. With the mid-engine RS, I lost the back end several times here before hitting the brakes earlier and lighter, keeping some gas helps stabilise of course. I haven't spent much time with mid-engine cars, so I suppose it's a technique that takes some honing.

Need to check my time - but it was competitive even with suboptimal gearing and some twitchy corners.

A bit of a mixed bag for me this one. I did enjoy the drive, and I could see it's potential with the right driver, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time to practice enough to get the best out of it. And I don't think I should go near the Nordschleife in it :lol:.
Did you try turning down the BB? Maybe something like 5/2 or 4/1. No racing brakes? Maybe some more Decel LSD? It can be tricky trail braking on some corners but it's one of the advantages of the G27 with the GTEYE brake mod, it's easy to apply low brake pressure and compensate for a little squirreliness under braking.

Did you try turning down the BB? Maybe something like 5/2 or 4/1. No racing brakes? Maybe some more Decel LSD? It can be tricky trail braking on some corners but it's one of the advantages of the G27 with the GTEYE brake mod, it's easy to apply low brake pressure and compensate for a little squirreliness under braking.

I didn't make any changes, I was just driving 'as-is' - with DFP and Sponge Ball brake mod :lol:.

I have subsequently had a run or two at the Nordschelfe using DS3 and it was pretty good: I found that brake/brake-off oversteer saved me from running wide a few times. I was on for a 8:00 - 8:01 but got caught out at the high speed braking at the end of Dottinger - I didn't go off but found myself parked sideways across the track :dopey:. This was still an 8:03.5xx lap so obviously I didn't find it too bad.

I'll try a couple of adjustments as the RS200 did grow on me at the 'Ring: I liked the way it just 'falls' into the corners when you get it right (a good mid-engine trait I think) and the grip is just fantastic. 👍

View attachment 94092

Took me a while to finish this one and I'm still not satisfied with it. I'm sure the issues I'm having with it are due to it's chunkiness and near half century old suspension. It's not the fastest 450PP car by a long shot, but fun to drive nonetheless. Prone to understeer on hard entry but smooth as silk if you get the entry speed just right and effortless to drive when you do. Best suited to larger tracks like Bathurst and the Nurb. Should give the American Muscle fans a thrill and will win a race or two online if you can catch the right room.

Note: As with all my tunes but especially on cars like this, make sure and follow the "best shift" suggestion. Power dies off pretty rapidly after 6000 rpm and if you run this car up to the redline you'll easily lose a half to full second and even more on the Nurb.

Parts List
Suspension - Custom Suspension, Racing Brakes
Power - Sports Exhaust
Body - WR3
Note: Transmission set using tranny method #1

upload_2014-2-13_23-40-28.png

Last edited:
View attachment 112077

A superb handling car!! Nice lazy drifts around corners and smooth 4wd response to bring it back in line. Easy to drive and easy to be smooth and consistent with. In spite of it's age it comes with a superb 6 speed transmission too! Can't miss!

Parts List
Power - Engine Tuning 1, Sports ECU, Racing Exhaust, Catalytic Converter Sports
Body - WR3
Note: Transmission set using tranny method #1

upload_2014-2-13_23-27-7.png

Can't wait to try it out! :cool::cheers:

Edit: Gave the Gallant a try unfortunately it didn't put a smile on my face like your RS200 did. It's probably my driving style and not the car though for me it felt like the car had like 50 gallons of water in the back sloshing around. A lot of the time it would come through as a sensation of understeer, but sometimes it would result in snap oversteer. I'm thinking that with a lot of seat time in this car you can really chuck it around and get the weight transfer to work to your advantage (trail braking probably helps as well) but for me unfortunately I was unable to get a good feel for that and as a result the car felt kinda slow. Any driving tips for me to get more out of this car?

Last edited:
Can't wait to try it out! :cool::cheers:

Edit: Gave the Gallant a try unfortunately it didn't put a smile on my face like your RS200 did. It's probably my driving style and not the car though for me it felt like the car had like 50 gallons of water in the back sloshing around. A lot of the time it would come through as a sensation of understeer, but sometimes it would result in snap oversteer. I'm thinking that with a lot of seat time in this car you can really chuck it around and get the weight transfer to work to your advantage (trail braking probably helps as well) but for me unfortunately I was unable to get a good feel for that and as a result the car felt kinda slow. Any driving tips for me to get more out of this car?
Which track(s) did you try it on? As with a lot of these older cars, they don't quite do what the newer cars do. Not as stable, don't have the same feel and so I end up compromising a lot. The key to each of them I think is knowing what the car will do and using it to your advantage. If you know a little flick of the wheel will bring the back end around a little, you do that when you need to, especially on a corner where you might normally feel some understeer. I tend to run weight in the back of a lot of cars to get them to rotate but it sometimes results in that snap oversteer if you enter a corner a little too quickly or hit the brakes a little too late. A small amount of throttle in anticipation of this usually works wonders, especially on the 4wds like this car and the RS200. A little throttle on entry also helps to control the oversteer, so it's on demand when you need it, but controllable at the same time.

Maybe give it another chance at Brands Hatch or Bathurst and see how it feels. Both tracks are hard to tune for but I did have some great success there. Thanks for trying it out too:cheers:

Which track(s) did you try it on?

A small amount of throttle in anticipation of this usually works wonders, especially on the 4wds like this car and the RS200. A little throttle on entry also helps to control the oversteer, so it's on demand when you need it, but controllable at the same time.

Maybe give it another chance at Brands Hatch or Bathurst and see how it feels. Both tracks are hard to tune for but I did have some great success there. Thanks for trying it out too:cheers:

Honestly as bad as it is I usually make up my mind by the second checkpoint at the nurburgring. If I have to keep restarting to get a clean line through there I know that the given tune will just serve to frustrate me. If the car handles that part in spades then I take it to Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, Brands Hatch Indy course and Grand Valley as they are the tracks I am most familiar with.

Unfortunately I'm fairly fat-fingered and use a DS3 so minor little things like slight throttle on entry are very hard for me to pull off. Here's to getting a job so I can afford a wheel setup!

Seasonal Tune Only for Special Stage Route 5 - Not tested online
RX7 SSR5.jpg

The no SRF TT has returned and I've put some time into this one after skipping most of the TT's in the last couple of months. I love the car but wasn't so fond of the track, although it is growing on me. Thanks to @DolHaus for his suggestions on the LSD and @GTP_CargoRatt whose excellent tune was the jumping off point for this effort. So far I'm pretty happy with a 1:27.745, good for 15th place as of today.

Parts List

Transmission and Drivetrain - All Upgrades
Power - Sports ECU, Racing Exhaust, Catalytic Converter Sports
Body - Weight Reduction 3, Custom Rear Wing

upload_2014-4-16_21-36-3.png

Last edited:
Seasonal Tune Only for Brands Hatch GP - Not tested online
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit.jpg

Quite excited to see the latest 480PP GT' 12 Seasonal available without SRF. I've done a bit of racing online and it's one of my favourite cars for it incredible balance and ease to tune and drive. I took my online tune and just added some power and tweaked the suspension a bit and took it out for a spin and did a respectable 1:34.261 for 17th place a couple of days ago. I wasn't looking to get a top finish or anything, just something fun to drive so I didn't bother with a wing, although it would probably make the car faster after some adjustments. I might do that later.

Good luck!!

Parts List
Suspension - Custom Suspension + Racing Brakes
Power - Engine Tuning 3, Sports ECU, Racing Exhaust, Intake Tuning
Body - Weight Reduction 4, Carbon Hood

upload_2014-5-25_14-32-55.png

Last edited:
Back