Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
upload_2013-12-14_17-50-11.png

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little garage. :cheers:

My objective here is simple - tune cars I like to drive and share them with anyone that is interested. I am not beholden to any artificial limitations like not using ballast or any one tuning method or style. After driving quite a number of cars in GT6 I've found some effective tools for making cars fun to drive and fast.

In GT5 I entered several F.I.T.T. Tuning Contests with some success and highly recommend you keep an eye on the F.I.T.T Events Calender as a way of improving your tuning skills by observing GTP's best tuners in action, and to take it a step further, volunteer to be a test driver. There is no better way to improve your driving skills than by running 100+ laps in various cars at a single track!

All my tunes will be done on a G27 with a GTEYE brake mod. GTEYE is also an official GTPlanet Site Sponsor and if you have a G27 I highly recommend you invest in this upgrade. It's a far better feel than the stock spring and the service level at GTEYE is excellent. Mine arrived from halfway around the world in less than a week!

Room Settings - Tire wear on ~ Grip Reduction Real ~ ABS 1 only

Tracks
Short and flat like Tsukuba and Stowe
Elevation and camber change like Bathurst and the Full Nurb
All around tracks like Brands Hatch and Suzuka

Top Speed Testing
Bathurst or Nurb

Tunes will likely fall into the following categories most of the time:

400PP Comfort Softs
450PP Sports Hards
500PP Sports Mediums
550PP Sports Softs
600PP Race Hards
Seasonal and special events as required
Race series specific tunes as required

The basics of tuning in GT are well known but GT6 comes with it's own quirks, like camber not working (as of v1.04). My tunes will reflect these quirks and a version number will be included with every tune. If the tune is updated after a major change in physics, that will be noted. @MotorCityHami has written what I think is the definitive guide on LSD Tuning and that's what I follow so all credit to him in that department. I am using a little stronger "initial" settins on my LSD this time around to get a bit more liveliness in the rear end, and you can adjust this to suit your own needs as necessary.

In Post 2, you will find links to all my tunes:gtplanet:

In Post 3, you will find lap time charts of all my best laps turned in testing:rolleyes:
Use these for comparison purposes to compare different cars on the same tracks. You'll also find tranmission tuning methods and some other useful information.

In Post 4, you'll find more links to other excellent garages, race series or events I participate in or recommend along with anything else I might think is useful...or funny:lol:

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy GT6 and I can help you at some point with a likeable tune:cheers:

Last edited:
The Google Docs link below contains all my recorded laptimes, online, with tire wear on. Each car is run on multiple tracks, at race pace, not quite on the limit. These are for comparison purposes only, to evaluate the performance potential of each car tuned based on my skill level. Your laptimes may be faster or slower.

Google Docs Laptime Spreadsheet

Tranny Method #1 - Up to and Including Silvia (S15)

1 - Set Top Speed to Minimum or stated value in tune.
2 - Set Final Gear Ratio.
3 - Set individual gears.

Tranny Method #2 - After Silvia (S15) aka the "tranny flip"
1. Move final gear all the way to the right.
2. Top speed all the way to left or to indicated value in tunesheet
3. Adjust gear ratios.
4. Adjust FGR to value stated in tune.

You'll find most of my transmissions will be set up to be long enough for Bathurst and the full Nurb. Most will be set up for first gear launch as well. For shorter tracks you may benefit by having a larger FGR and lower top speed. Adding about 10% (+0.250 to a 2.500 FGR etc.) will make it more suitable for most of the mid-sized tracks in the game. Unfortunately as of v1.02 we can't copy and paste settings so you'll have to manually re-enter full tunes to take advantage of multiple tuning sheets.

My Interpretation of the Power Graph
Yes, I do find it bizarre that I have to "interpret" the power graph but it is what it is. I approximate the first and last sections as 1.5 times the size of the 5 inner sections, assume the left end is zero and then approximate the right end, in this case as 6,600. 6,600/8 = 825. First section is rounded down then to 825 x 1.5 or 1235. Then add 825 for each of the next 5 sections and 1235 for the final section.

Last edited:
Clubs, Leagues, Series
ORCA General Discussion - My favourite club to hang out in.
VCRC Vintage & Low Power Racing - One of the best organized clubs on GTP and suited to those looking for a more leisurely atmosphere.
TUNE-FREE RACING CUP: BMW GT Spec Challenge - ORCA's first go at organized racing in GT6

Praiano GT6 Tunes - GTP's Most Prolific Tuner:gtpflag:
Motor City Tunes GT6 - Real life racing knowledge brought to life in GT6
Clueless Tunes - Excellent all around garage with a full stable of tuners and many DS3 based tunes. GTP's most fun garage:lol:
Real Replica Tunes - Replicating real life tuning settings in GT6
Team-Shmo GT6 Tunes - Shmo tunes for track racing and drifting
RIDOX Replica Garage - No ABS replica tunes from a DS3 user.

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind, but I've just got to comment on your pencil in the picture. It reminds me of a comic strip that I did in High School for the school newspaper. I won multiple awards for it, and even entered it in some contests outside of school, for which I also won a few awards. It was called "The Adventures of Pencil Pete & Pen Patti" If I can find it, I'll send you the strip that won the most awards. Just thought it funny when I seen that pencil there. Anyways, good to see you starting up your garage. Good luck with it as I'm sure it will help a lot of people. I was actually thinking of starting a garage of my own, just waiting to see if PD is going to mess with the physics like they did in GT5.

This is an updated version of my original Clio tune. Tuning the Ford Focus along with some suggestions from @Tempo87 and @miata13B helped iron out some of the original issues with the tune. One particular issue was the front tires heating up excessively after a couple of laps. Throwing ballast on the front as opposed to the back really helped with this situation without sacrificing any turn in. It's a little faster than the Focus ST now and if you like the sound of a high revving Euro 4 banger Hot Hatch, you'll love this car. Enjoy:cheers:

View attachment 88312
upload_2013-12-19_18-47-57.png

upload_2013-12-19_18-47-3.png

Last edited:
View attachment 88045

This is the completely reworked version of the Focus as of 12/18/13 and it is a corner carving beast. Much more aggressive throughout the corner now and tremendous fun for an FF and 2.4 seconds faster at Bathurst than the original version of this tune!!

upload_2013-12-19_18-53-14.png

upload_2013-12-19_18-51-53.png

Last edited:
Yet another solid performer among the GT6 FF's is the Peugeot RCZ. Reminiscent of the Audi TT series it's meant to compete with the TT and VW Scirocco in the world car market. I figured it would plow like a tractor with 62:38 weight distribution but stock handling is actually quite good and can be driven with some pace. A few tweaks here and there make it on pace with the 2013 Focus and only slightly behind the Clio. Enjoy!!

Peugeot RCZ.jpg

This is the completely revised version as of 12/15/2013

upload_2013-12-19_18-56-51.png

upload_2013-12-19_18-58-2.png

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind, but I've just got to comment on your pencil in the picture. It reminds me of a comic strip that I did in High School for the school newspaper. I won multiple awards for it, and even entered it in some contests outside of school, for which I also won a few awards. It was called "The Adventures of Pencil Pete & Pen Patti" If I can find it, I'll send you the strip that won the most awards. Just thought it funny when I seen that pencil there. Anyways, good to see you starting up your garage. Good luck with it as I'm sure it will help a lot of people. I was actually thinking of starting a garage of my own, just waiting to see if PD is going to mess with the physics like they did in GT5.
Don't mind at all, you are my official first visitor:bowdown:
Pencil Pete and Pen Patti sounds hilarious:lol: Be happy to take a look at it.

I thought about holding off because of physics tweaks as well, but I'm tuning for myself already anyway and thought I might as well share it with anyone that's interested. I say jump in with both feet if you think you'll enjoy it. It's a bit of work but mostly pressing buttons so not too strenous for an old guy like me:sly:

@Johnnypenso great to see your garage open.:gtpflag:

Thanks for the link to our place down the street.👍👍

Now we just need to get a FITT event scheduled so you can start working on kicking all our backsides again.:lol:

Congrats Johnny. Really nice to share your knowledges with everybody. Yours cars are fantastics, i know because i've tested some and also because sometime i was just seeing the rear of yours cars.
You're a fast driver and build very fast machines.
Good luck to your garage.

Wow, JP's Garage :D Awesome !!! :gtplanet: I am thinking opening my own tuning thread - but not really sure, I have made 2 replica already, but as you know I don't use ABS and preferred comfort tire for replicas, it might be pointless as these cars I tuned often are not well suited for the usual drivers :( So I'm thinking if I may contribute my work to your garage, it would be great !! Of course, you can decide if the tune I made worthy to be listed -sometimes my tune are hard to tame :lol:

Have to say I'm struggling a little to get cars to do what I want to do. I make adjustments to get the cars to rotate and turn better for example, but it always seems to negatively affect something else. I can get cars to be fast but they don't always "feel" right if that makes sense. It's possible this not feeling "right" could be due to the physics and I'm trying to tune it out or in as the case may be as best I can. This may take longer than I expected to figure out!!:lol:

Wow, JP's Garage :D Awesome !!! :gtplanet: I am thinking opening my own tuning thread - but not really sure, I have made 2 replica already, but as you know I don't use ABS and preferred comfort tire for replicas, it might be pointless as these cars I tuned often are not well suited for the usual drivers :( So I'm thinking if I may contribute my work to your garage, it would be great !! Of course, you can decide if the tune I made worthy to be listed -sometimes my tune are hard to tame :lol:

I'd suggest maybe opening your own thread would be a good idea. Your tunes are so specific to your skill level, driving style, tire choice and controller use, I suspect they are undrivable for the majority of DS3 users to begin with and they aren't well suited to wheel users I can tell you from personal experience. :lol: With their own spotlight in their own thread you may get some more people to see what you are doing and give it a shot.👍👍

Last edited:
@Johnnypenso I think I know what you mean. Try tuning out under steer and giving a car quicker turn in and you start losing stability. Make adjustments to enhance stability and something else crops up.
Think its more important to balance the entire tune now than ever.
Instead of seeing big changes from adjusting one or two settings you now get smaller changes, but all the different adjustments have to work together for best performance.

I'd suggest maybe opening your own thread would be a good idea. Your tunes are so specific to your skill level, driving style, tire choice and controller use, I suspect they are undrivable for the majority of DS3 users to begin with and they aren't well suited to wheel users I can tell you from personal experience. :lol: With their own spotlight in their own thread you may get some more people to see what you are doing and give it a shot.👍👍

I'll open a thread for my replicas :) The suspension and LSD are based on real life car with some tweaking, so I think it would be drivable on a wheel at very least :) Thanks JP for being honest about my tune ;)

Awesome setup here, can't wait to try the RCZ.
I notice its at 266hp, which is what they roll out of the factory with (on Turbo models)... is the one in game non-turbo?

Have one of these near my work, didn't realise they are only 1600!

Awesome setup here, can't wait to try the RCZ.
I notice its at 266hp, which is what they roll out of the factory with (on Turbo models)... is the one in game non-turbo?
Have one of these near my work, didn't realise they are only 1600!

The game one is non-turbo but it comes with some rear downforce which really sucks because you're trying to get these cars to rotate, and in kicks some downforce to stop it from turning:mad: I didn't even realize it was there until I went to re-tune it. I did the best I could with it at this early stage of the game, it's very stable but I can't get it to rotate the way I want with ABS on. I am reworking the Focus as well and it's much more aggressive and fun to drive...and fast!!

Yet another solid performer among the GT6 FF's is the Peugeot RCZ. Reminiscent of the Audi TT series it's meant to compete with the TT and VW Scirocco in the world car market. I figured it would plow like a tractor with 62:38 weight distribution but stock handling is actually quite good and can be driven with some pace. A few tweaks here and there make it on pace with the 2013 Focus and only slightly behind the Clio. Enjoy!!

View attachment 89463
This is the completely revised version as of 12/15/2013

View attachment 89442

Hi there... thanks for the tune! I am having trouble getting to your numbers and hope you can help..

Weight: I have WR2, Carbon hood and 200 kg ballast per your sheet and my total is 1,369kg vs your 1,229. However, I do get your same weight distribution.
Transmission: Slapped the 6 gear and final gear is 4.533 vs your 3.900, and the rest of the ratios are off as well
Power: Installed Computer, Racing exhaust, Isometric Manifold and intake tuning @ 96%. I get to your HP but my torque is 228 vs your 220

I did an oil change, which could make some difference in power if you didn't but I can't explain transmission and weight differences. Could you confirm your stats please?
Thanks!! I am really looking forward to testing your tune..

Hi there... thanks for the tune! I am having trouble getting to your numbers and hope you can help..

Weight: I have WR2, Carbon hood and 200 kg ballast per your sheet and my total is 1,369kg vs your 1,229. However, I do get your same weight distribution.
Transmission: Slapped the 6 gear and final gear is 4.533 vs your 3.900, and the rest of the ratios are off as well
Power: Installed Computer, Racing exhaust, Isometric Manifold and intake tuning @ 96%. I get to your HP but my torque is 228 vs your 220

I did an oil change, which could make some difference in power if you didn't but I can't explain transmission and weight differences. Could you confirm your stats please?
I'll check it when I get home later. Sorry for the confusion, it must have gotten mixed up with the many revisions I did and maybe I ended up posting the wrong sheet.:irked:

The oil change will make a difference though. I don't oil change any car unless I need the HP and this car didn't need it.

This page will be helpful for the 450pp Racing Club i raced in yesterday. Ill test a few of them tonight if possible. :D

Think I have it all sorted out now. The Weight Reduction is WR3 now. Transmission is custom and the ratios are correct for the custom.

EDIT: Please note, the Ford Focus has been completely reworked and is now very aggressive thoughout the corners. A must have for any FF fan!!

Last edited:
Fastest 450PP car to date by more than a full second at Bathurst. Both agile and quick in a straight line it'll be tough to beat online. It's still an MR and so you have to be careful to get entry speeds right, brake mostly in a straightline at first etc. but when you get into a rythmn with this car it's something special. Well done PD:tup:👍

Syracuse - Night_1.jpg

Revised Suspension And LSD Settings 12/28/2013
upload_2013-12-31_21-1-0.png
upload_2013-12-28_20-59-50.png

Last edited:
Fastest 450PP car to date by more than a full second at Bathurst. Both agile and quick in a straight line it'll be tough to beat online. It's still an MR and so you have to be careful to get entry speeds right, brake mostly in a straightline at first etc. but when you get into a rythmn with this car it's something special. Well done PD:tup:👍

View attachment 90294

View attachment 90293
View attachment 90295
Which side is which? I thought Front would be on the left and Rear would be on the right like the game.

Back