PGA / LPGA / personal golf

• Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 978 comments
Finally got out on my home course yesterday, shot a pretty rubbish score (namely thanks to 2 poor holes, a 6 on the par 3 6th and a 10 on the par 4 9th.) Shot 54 for the 9, with a par on 7 and had a look at birdie on 8 but 3 putted for a 5. Irons felt fantastic, strongest part of my game by far, wedges were excellent and when I did pull out the big stick, it did everything I asked. Putting let me down big time, missed some very simple putts and left a lot of longer ones very short.
Course looked great as well.
20240318_105938.jpg
20240318_111745.jpg

First pic is looking at the 4th green on the way to the 1st tee, looking down the 4th fairway, second pic is the par 3 2nd from the tee box, 189 yards, water as you see it plus another water hazard just front right of the green.

@lilcat89 played the whole 9 hole round with the new TM Speed Soft, felt really good, seems to be managing what it claims, got good distance on the big shots and it felt really nice around the green, little clicky off the putter but not in a horrible way. Definitely worth checking out and might be the one I go for this season.

Last edited:
Finally got out on my home course yesterday, shot a pretty rubbish score (namely thanks to 2 poor holes, a 6 on the par 3 6th and a 10 on the par 4 9th.) Shot 54 for the 9, with a par on 7 and had a look at birdie on 8 but 3 putted for a 5. Irons felt fantastic, strongest part of my game by far, wedges were excellent and when I did pull out the big stick, it did everything I asked. Putting let me down big time, missed some very simple putts and left a lot of longer ones very short.
Course looked great as well.
View attachment 1338473View attachment 1338474

First pic is looking at the 4th green on the way to the 1st tee, looking down the 4th fairway, second pic is the par 3 2nd from the tee box, 189 yards, water as you see it plus another water hazard just front right of the green.
It looks quite nice out there. 50 yards and in is my weak point as well.
@lilcat89 played the whole 9 hole round with the new TM Speed Soft, felt really good, seems to be managing what it claims, got good distance on the big shots and it felt really nice around the green, little clicky off the putter but not in a horrible way. Definitely worth checking out and might be the one I go for this season.
Good to know! Ill have to give them a go next time I play.

New putter came in, went down to the club today and picked out s grip, so that's all done now. Went with a SuperStroke Zenergy Flatso 2.0 grip.
20240328_224232.jpg
20240328_224236.jpg
20240328_224242.jpg

Played 18 today, shot 103, played some silly holes and some needlessly bad shots but on the whole pretty happy. Made a birdie on the 7th which is my first birdie since I started playing again last May, so pretty happy with that. Hit a 210 yard hybrid off the tee, put a 7 iron to within 10 foot from 150 yard and sunk the putt.
Was good fun to be playing evening golf again.
20240401_160947.jpg
20240401_180444(0).jpg
Screenshot_20240401_185557_Golf Pad.jpg

I only loosely follow the LPGA, but Nelly Korda is ridiculous. She won her fourth straight tournament this past weekend.

Halfway through the Masters at Augusta National this week, Tiger Woods has set a new record for consecutive cuts made at the Masters, 24 in a row and will play the weekend.

Bryson DeChambeau shot a brilliant 65 on the first day to take the early lead, before a 1 over round 2 sits him at -6 for the tournament, tied for the lead with Max Homa and Scottie Scheffler.

The wind was pretty brutal on both days but particularly Friday, swirling, gusting winds causing all sorts of problems. Plenty of rounds in the 80s being posted and some top names dropping out. Viktor Hovland, Wyndham Clark, Justin Thomas, Jordan Spieth, Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia all missing the cut.

Should be a very entertaining weekend, especially with Bryson on form.

I'd like to see Max Homa hold on to win it especially since he's never won a major. I also wouldn't mind seeing Nicolai Højgaard make a charge either since he's never really found success in majors either.

I'd like to see Max Homa hold on to win it especially since he's never won a major. I also wouldn't mind seeing Nicolai Højgaard make a charge either since he's never really found success in majors either.
Started well so far Højgaard, Aberg as well.

Congrats to Scheffler, the true #1. The guy is just unbelievable.

Last edited:
Congrats to Scheffler, the rule true #1. The guy is just unbelievable.
He was outstanding yesterday. Well deserved for sure, class of the field and class of 2024. Delighted for Åberg, even if his double was a par he would have stoll been 2 back, he's a top class talent with a brilliantly repeatable swing. Nice that he just steps up and hits too, no faffing.

Disappointed that Bryson Faded, had a feeling he would as the course firmed up. Max Homa bottled it, Morikawa did Morokawa things.

Rory? Bleh, it's in his head now. Pains me to say it but I don't think he'll ever get the grand slam.

I think Augusta rewards the power fade off the tee. Draw players like Rory and Bryson have their distance neutralized by all the trouble right. Bryson managed it on day 1 but walking down that hill and all the way back up takes a toll. By the final day, he just had zero feel left in the rest of his game. Likewise, Tiger made the cut but he just physically fell apart. I can't imagine walking a major for 4 straight days and being fresh with my best stuff each time. Insane.

I only loosely follow the LPGA, but Nelly Korda is ridiculous. She won her fourth straight tournament this past weekend.
First women's major this weekend, the Chevron Championship at The Club at Carlton Woods, Nelly Korda could make it 5 in a row and match Nancy Lopez' record of 5 in a row in 1978, which also included a major (LPGA Championship) and Annika Sorenstam in 2005. The Chevron has a record $7.9m purse up for grabs and Lilia Vu is the defending champion. But Kordas form is exceptional and will undoubtedly be the one to watch, Jin Young Ko a distant 2nd in the odds for victory.

Elsewhere, rumours started hitting hard about Rory McIlroy making an $850m switch to LIV golf, his manager and now Rory himself have shut this down, but there's no smoke without fire and other golfers have shut rumours down before jumping ship.

This weekend is also the next signature event of the PGA TOUR schedule, the RBC Heritage at Harbour Town Golf Links. A stacked field ready to take on the tight course, minus Viktor Hovland who, like Rory did last year, has withdrawn after a poor Masters showing. Matt Fitzpatrick defends here, Rory makes his 3rd appearance at Harbour Town, 2020 and 2014 his last entries, it's a course that very much doesn't suit his style. Expect Si Woo Kim, Tommy Fleetwood, Ludvig Aberg to be strong. Scottie Scheffler is in the field as he awaits his first born, his mind may be elsewhere, but he cannot be ruled out given his form.

LIV is dying and the PGAT pays better with the elevated events now. No reason for Rory to jump. Especially if Rory's and Tiger's gameshow/stadium golf thing finally goes live.

LIV is dying and the PGAT pays better with the elevated events now. No reason for Rory to jump. Especially if Rory's and Tiger's gameshow/stadium golf thing finally goes live.
I wouldn't say LIV is dying. I'd say pro golf is dying as a whole in terms of viewing figures declining generally. The Masters proved that pro golf is better when the best players are all in the same field. If we get to that point via a deal between all the tours then that'll be for the betterment of everything as it stands.

Scottie Scheffler is leading the RBC Hertiage at Harbour Town after 3 rounds, looking formidable as he bids to do something not done since 1985, win the week after winning the Masters.

Well, the TaylorMade strategy of going after young golfers and just giving them everything for free is really working out for them now. Seems like everyone on top is team TM now.

Back