Philly's car thread | Time for new tires - Post #128

  • Thread starter Thread starter Philly
  • 138 comments
  • 13,029 views
Did you check your fuses?

If you're lucky you have your problem easily fixed...

I'm in Michigan now so unfortunately I have no access to the car for the time being. and hopefully they'll have it fixed before I get back for spring break in two weeks.

You'll be back. They always come back...

The door electronic problems were fairly common in the MKIV cars, but as you pointed out, it could have been due to the poor work done by that body shop. Too bad really, because it shouldn't be destroying your outlook on VWs in general.

After seeing the new Polo, I'm nearly left asking "Whats a Fiesta?"

Don't get me wrong, I love the car. It would just be a very poor financial move to own a car with a questionable reliability record whose warranty is about to end at the same time I'm trying to get on my feet out of college.

I am quite certain that I will end up behind the wheel of a VW again someday though. I still adore the cars. And after seeing the Polo, I may have to work harder to convince myself against getting an extra loan to pay for that car, which may or may not be fairly unreliable. I think most of the bitterness in my post was from my parent's suggestion that I take the car in while I'm home so I miss the chance to drive it and the prospect of having to deal with the body shop again.
 
you got any pics of your VW?
 
Not at the moment. I'm hoping to give it a good polish and wax or something when I'm home for spring break in two weeks so I'll try and post something up then.
 
So this summer I have the opportunity to get a new car for myself. Good idea? Bad idea?

As it stands, I "own" the majority of the GTI at the moment. And the agreement is that I pretty much have the car whenever I'm home, but it stays in Seattle. And then when I graduate from college, the money I have in the GTI will be put toward a "new" car for me.

I'm considering taking that money out now and putting it toward a car. I really want to, but it's a big financial decision and I have no clue how stupid it would be.

Here are my thoughts on the issue:

  • I really want a manual car. +
  • I really enjoy driving, and not having a car with me in Michigan really sucks, so I'd like to have something to take out there. +
  • I'd like a car that I can modify and work on myself +
  • It's a lot of money being thrown around -
  • I'd be paying for maintenance, but I don't have much money to work with after the purchase. -

Thoughts? I have a few cars in mind already, but I don't think I'd get too far into research until I decide whether or not to actually go through with this.
 
What kind of cars do you have in mind at the moment? It's handy to know what kind of things you like - no use suggesting a nice little sports sedan if you're more of a coupe man, for example.
 
And your price range would also help. Are you gonna have a place where you could possibly maintain a car yourself, that's where you could save some big bucks, I know I have.
 
My price range would be $10k, so at the moment I'm looking at M3s, IS300s and old Civic Sis. So I'm game for pretty much anything that isn't a truck/SUV, is sporty and gets decent mileage.

Although, I want to decide if I'm actually going to go through with this before I start looking, because it would be pretty disappointing to get all worked up and get too far into research before I decide that I'm not going to get something after all.

And as for repairs, I would try to do a lot of them myself, but if I need to take it in somewhere, there are many different dealers and some shops around the Holland area, so that wouldn't be an issue. And I'll be living in an apartment, but I think I could probably manage to do repairs in a parking space, or maybe drive it to family's house for a driveway or something.
 
Ok if you get a car, you, me and Brad need to do pictures or something. I'll even drive to that side of the state some weekend since Grand Rapids isn't that far of a drive.

It's probably not a bad idea to get a car of your own, ya people are going to tell you that you should save your money and they are probably right. However I have continued to live my life by one philosophy..."do what you will today because you could wake up dead tomorrow." Basically if you are going to get a car anyways and you have the money to do so now I would get one.

One thing you should probably be aware of though is insurance on something like an M3, assuming this is going in your name the insurance on an M3 will be high. If you are going to put it in your parents name then sure you should be able to swing something like that. Also keep in mind something like an M3 will need winter tires in Michigan, and you know how much snow the left side of the state gets. I don't think you are going to want to keep an extra set of tires in your dorm room or haul them from Washington to Michigan.

With that in mind I'd look for something that is comfortable to drive, slightly sporty, and makes it through the winter. An Audi A4 or A6 should be in your price range if you wanted a saloon. If you wanted something to fit your age bracket a bit more there are plenty of Acura RSX's out there for 10K. And since I recommend Volvo's to anyone who's buying a car for Michigan I might as well throw the S40 and S60 out there as well.

Although to be cheeky you could get the V70R :D.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...s=&max_price=10000&cardist=119&standard=false
 
Seeing how this is the range I'd pretty much operate in as-is, and seeing as how we'd probably prefer the same "adult" oriented vehicles, I guess these are the thoughts that came into my mind most-easily:

2003 Honda Accord Coupe
2003.honda.accord.4909-E.jpg


Give or take, you can nab one for right around $10K these days. Although it isn't my favorite generation of the car in terms of looks, the drive is brilliant, and I don't think you will find a car that would be "unreliable" by comparison to your VW. Although I haven't driven the coupe, I have driven the sedan, and it was bliss. Honda hit the nail on the head with this one.

2006 Ford Fusion SE
2006.ford.fusion.20085311-E.jpg


Again, you're shopping right at the $10K mark here. Knowing that these cars are rated top-notch for quality and reliability, not to mention great fuel economy (30+ MPG is easy to do on the S and SE models)... Why not? No, its not as "glorious" as the Honda, but in terms of what you can get for a fair price, its just about as good as it gets (IMO).

2003 Ford Focus SVT
2003.ford.focus.3839-E.jpg


I know that you know about it. Also, consider this one...

2005 Ford Focus ST ZX4
2005.ford.focus.30616-E.jpg


A) Cheap, B) Mazda 3s mechanical bits and pieces plus a great chassis setup, C) Did I mention its cheap?

=-=-=-=-=-=

Just some quick thoughts off the top of my head. I don't think this would be a "What Should I Get?" thread without the obligatory mentions of the Mazda 3 and Subaru Forrester as well.
 
You mentioned modify. What kind of modifications would you be interested in doing, just off the top of your head? We won't need details because that may just get you worked up into thinking of all the stuff you could do.

Are you looking for subtle mods (little things like tint, wheels) or more sophisticated (actually playing with the engine)?
 
Ok if you get a car, you, me and Brad need to do pictures or something. I'll even drive to that side of the state some weekend since Grand Rapids isn't that far of a drive.

I'm game fo sho.

It's probably not a bad idea to get a car of your own, ya people are going to tell you that you should save your money and they are probably right. However I have continued to live my life by one philosophy..."do what you will today because you could wake up dead tomorrow." Basically if you are going to get a car anyways and you have the money to do so now I would get one.

Yeah, that's pretty much the way I was thinking. It basically came down to "I'm getting a car eventually, why not now?"

One thing you should probably be aware of though is insurance on something like an M3, assuming this is going in your name the insurance on an M3 will be high. If you are going to put it in your parents name then sure you should be able to swing something like that. Also keep in mind something like an M3 will need winter tires in Michigan, and you know how much snow the left side of the state gets. I don't think you are going to want to keep an extra set of tires in your dorm room or haul them from Washington to Michigan.

That's a good point. I haven't worked out the insurance details yet. If that does become an issue, I suppose I could probably stick with a hatch like the Si or something. As for tires, if I need them, I'd probably buy some out there and just keep them at family's house and install them there.

Finding little hurdles like these are actually pretty helpful. Anybody have anything else like this so I could really see what I'd be getting into?

With that in mind I'd look for something that is comfortable to drive, slightly sporty, and makes it through the winter. An Audi A4 or A6 should be in your price range if you wanted a saloon. If you wanted something to fit your age bracket a bit more there are plenty of Acura RSX's out there for 10K. And since I recommend Volvo's to anyone who's buying a car for Michigan I might as well throw the S40 and S60 out there as well.

Although to be cheeky you could get the V70R :D.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...s=&max_price=10000&cardist=119&standard=false

After the adventures I've had with the GTI, I think I'm going to have to keep VAG products off the list this time around. Don't get me wrong, I do love the things, but I'm just going to have to come back to VW when I have a job that'll allow me to keep up with the maintenance. I think I'd be looking more for overall sportiness than driving comfort and things though. Heck, I might even put summer enjoyment before winter drivability...

Seeing how this is the range I'd pretty much operate in as-is, and seeing as how we'd probably prefer the same "adult" oriented vehicles, I guess these are the thoughts that came into my mind most-easily:

2003 Honda Accord Coupe

2006 Ford Fusion SE

I think the kid in me still wants a sports car though. I have heard all kinds of good things about the Fusion, so maybe that'll make it onto the list.

2003 Ford Focus SVT

I know that you know about it. Also, consider this one...

2005 Ford Focus ST ZX4

A) Cheap, B) Mazda 3s mechanical bits and pieces plus a great chassis setup, C) Did I mention its cheap?

=-=-=-=-=-=

Just some quick thoughts off the top of my head. I don't think this would be a "What Should I Get?" thread without the obligatory mentions of the Mazda 3 and Subaru Forrester as well.

Being 6'5", the SVT is a bit small for me. And the Focus, well, I'd probably want something a little quicker and probably a bit mroe flashy. Although, the Mazda 3 is another car I'll probably be looking into.

Reventón;3384925
You mentioned modify. What kind of modifications would you be interested in doing, just off the top of your head? We won't need details because that may just get you worked up into thinking of all the stuff you could do.

Are you looking for subtle mods (little things like tint, wheels) or more sophisticated (actually playing with the engine)?

I probably wouldn't do anything too risky or expensive. I can't see myself doing all that much more than an intake, maybe a couple exhaust bits or something else not too expensive. It'll be nice to get around the "that'll void the warranty" nonsense that I'm wrapped up in with the GTI now.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! 👍
 
Well, in lieu of the Ford Fusion, there is always its more exciting cousin:

2005.mazda.mazda6.32370-E.jpg
 
Mazda 6s are great. I wish we'd got the V6 in the UK. With a manual box.
 
I drove a stripped-out model a few years ago with a slushbox, and while that was clearly a no-no, I still came away impressed. The ride is definitely a bit more stiff than the Fusion, the responses overall a bit more tight by comparison. If you can find a 6i Sport, yeah, that's the ticket.
 
Mazda 6s are great. I wish we'd got the V6 in the UK. With a manual box.

How did you not? The freakin US got the V6 with the manual. How did Mazda get that backwards?

Speaking of which, thats my suggestion. Easily under 10k.

Or 3rd gen Legacy GT?


Also, when you're back in Washington we should find some cool roads and do a little driving. Same roads by myself gets boring after a while.
 
Allow me to make some suggestions...

E36 M3
0dd66a0c.jpg


Or, if you'd like a bit more room and not quite as much speed...

E39 540i with a 6 Speed... just read up about nikasil issues...
m52.jpg

(Yes, that is an M5, but you get the idea)

For something more typical of my suggestions...

Pre 2007 WRX
crashfx.jpg


If you are going to go the route of Honda, ignore the EP3 Si... it is rubbish, instead -

DC5 RSX Type-S
2928426_2_full.jpg
 
I probably wouldn't do anything too risky or expensive. I can't see myself doing all that much more than an intake, maybe a couple exhaust bits or something else not too expensive. It'll be nice to get around the "that'll void the warranty" nonsense that I'm wrapped up in with the GTI now.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! 👍
If you're looking into intakes & exhausts, then you may need to do some research on the aftermarket communities behind the cars you're looking at. Your current car has a pretty big community behind it. A car like the Ford Fusion or Mazda 6 (not Speed 6) however, don't.
 
Fusion, no, Mazda6, it's available if you have a credit card and some patience.
 
Reventón;3385811
If you're looking into intakes & exhausts, then you may need to do some research on the aftermarket communities behind the cars you're looking at. Your current car has a pretty big community behind it. A car like the Ford Fusion or Mazda 6 (not Speed 6) however, don't.

Kind of like a TL versus a Civic?

There is still quite a bit of market for the Mazda 6 in the way of parts. Not as many, as say for the GTi or an Si, but enough. The Fusion not as much, but why get a Fusion, really?

Honestly, if you want an easily tunable sedan, track down a Legacy GT with the 2.5T in it.
 
I drove a stripped-out model a few years ago with a slushbox, and while that was clearly a no-no, I still came away impressed. The ride is definitely a bit more stiff than the Fusion, the responses overall a bit more tight by comparison. If you can find a 6i Sport, yeah, that's the ticket.

I'm pretty used to the GTI, so I'd want something pretty taught and responsive. I'll take a look at the 6's and 3's probably though.

Speaking of which, thats my suggestion. Easily under 10k.

Or 3rd gen Legacy GT?


Also, when you're back in Washington we should find some cool roads and do a little driving. Same roads by myself gets boring after a while.

I do like those Subarus. So many choices though. I'll have to figure this thing out soon so I can get out there test driving and crossing things off the list.

Driving around with people would be fun. I ran that Dash Point road a few times that was in the driving roads thread a few times. Great road.

Allow me to make some suggestions...

E36 M3

Or, if you'd like a bit more room and not quite as much speed...

E39 540i with a 6 Speed... just read up about nikasil issues...

For something more typical of my suggestions...

Pre 2007 WRX

DC5 RSX Type-S

The M3 and WRX are already on the list. I hadn't thought of the Integra quite yet. Although that might be pushing "rice" a little too much for me. But if it's a good car, I guess there isn't that much wrong with that.

I hadn't thought of the 540. Any more thoughts on that?
 
The Fusion not as much, but why get a Fusion, really?

Same car as the Mazda 6i (essentially), cheaper to buy and insure, etc. Only problem is that it comes with a lesser suspension and so-so tires (something Ford addressed this time around). Its no slouch, but you can tell its been tuned for "American tastes." Steeda has a whole performance line for the Fusion, and I thought at one time that Roush was doing something as well. Nope, it isn't as easily customizable as the Mazda 6, but I like both cars for different reasons.

How about one of these?

2004.mitsubishi.lancer.28265-E.jpg

2004-2007 (?) Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

Mitsubishi did a bang-up job with the car, and the only complaint I ever remember reading about the car (other than the spartan interior) was the poor OEM tire selection. Nab one of these for $7-8K, throw a good set of all-season tires on there, you've got a pretty good all around car. Find the hyper-rare Ralliart Sportback (2004 only), you get plenty of space to throw junk in there.

...Since you'll be dealing with snow...

2002.subaru.impreza.9945-E.jpg

2003+ Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

I like them, maybe only for the two-tone paint. Modest upgrades can make it a winner, otherwise you can "cheat" and go for the WRX version. There is just something about the wagon that comes off a bit better than the sedan with this body style in this generation, I've yet to figure out why.
 
The Fusion has things the Mazda6 does not. They are...
  • More power from its V6 (221bhp 205tq) vs the 6 (212bhp 197tq)
  • An AWD V6 option (2007+)
  • A rather nice cheaper I4 manual option
  • Cheaper to insure
  • Paint the grille the body color or black and it looks better
  • More room, the Fusion (190.2") is stretched 4" versus the 6 (186.8")
 
I'm going to go out on a limb here but...

jrs1.jpg


Porsche 944S.

Isn't a truck/SUV - check
Sporty - check
Decent mileage - well, certainly no worse than many here, so check
Fixable at home - definitely more so than anything else here, check again

And for $10k you should be able to get an absolutely mint one.
 
Lancer... that model actually drove much better than its predecessors (though I don't think you got the Lancer till late in the game), with decent poise and balance... and with the 2.4, grunt should be "okay" (ours came with the 2.0... aneeeeeemic... and that's coming from Mazda's asthmatic 2.0 of the same time).

Not as good as the new Lancer, but probably a steal secondhand.

-

What the Mazda6 has over the Fusion:

1. It's pretty.
2. AWD Mazdaspeed model.
3. What else matters, really?

I'd get a four-cylinder 6, though... likely less troublesome than the V6 down the road, if you're buying secondhand, and tuning parts for the Mazda3 will likely swap over with little difficulty. The Mazdaspeed6 is a nice, strong car, but it really isn't much of a tuning proposition... with the complicated engine management and such, there are few companies willing to work with it... as far as I remember, I think COBB has dropped it... which is a shame, that's one of the few companies willing to do computer-tuning with Mazdas... it might even be easier to buy a FWD Mazda6 and custom-bolt a turbo-kit onto that.
 
So I have decided on getting something new this summer. I'll be creating a dedicated "what car" thread soon to continue the discussion in.
 
I'm going to go out on a limb here but...

jrs1.jpg


Porsche 944S.

Isn't a truck/SUV - check
Sporty - check
Decent mileage - well, certainly no worse than many here, so check
Fixable at home - definitely more so than anything else here, check again

And for $10k you should be able to get an absolutely mint one.
Fixing isn't the issue. It's the parts. I believe, if I recall my father's, that the belts needed to be changed quite a bit more often than most cars. Fast sucker though, and an awesome car.
 
I'm going to go out on a limb here but...

http://www.944central.com/photos/jrs1.jpg

Porsche 944S.

Isn't a truck/SUV - check
Sporty - check
Decent mileage - well, certainly no worse than many here, so check
Fixable at home - definitely more so than anything else here, check again

And for $10k you should be able to get an absolutely mint one.

Or he could get an M3, which is also easy to do work on, and quite a bit faster. About 2 seconds faster to 60 mph. The 944 Turbo is as fast as a US Spec E36 M3 in a straight line, and I'd probably say comparable handling wise. Not to mention the 10 year age difference.
 
The only problem I see with an M3 is the insurance on it, although nothing can be as bad as a WRX is for someone who's under 40 :lol:.
 
Back