Photographer's Block?

• Thread starter craw4dm
  • 12 comments
United States
The Hawkeye State
craw4dm
You guys ever sit down to take some "scape" photos and everything you try to do just doesn't sit well with you? Like you it doesn't grab you, or you can't decide what the picture is missing, and/or everything just seems off?

I sat down at around 8PM last night and messed around with different cars, liveries, scapes, etc and couldn't get anything to agree with me. I didn't set the controller down either... just kept on plugging away, only to come up disappointed in myself.

This *has* to happen to other people, right?

(sorry if this has been already brought up)

I have the same issue sometimes too, and I'm sure many others do. I find that when I relax into it and have some ideas the results are much, much better. Maybe just give it a break for a few days and come back to it when you're feeling less stressed about it, the results will be better :)

You guys ever sit down to take some "scape" photos and everything you try to do just doesn't sit well with you? Like you it doesn't grab you, or you can't decide what the picture is missing, and/or everything just seems off?

I sat down at around 8PM last night and messed around with different cars, liveries, scapes, etc and couldn't get anything to agree with me. I didn't set the controller down either... just kept on plugging away, only to come up disappointed in myself.

This *has* to happen to other people, right?

(sorry if this has been already brought up)

Nothing wrong with that. I'm a professional photographer by trade and it's fairly common to not take any shots if nothing stands out. Or perhaps take the shot, review later on a PC monitor, then delete.

Good to see somebody has a filter and a sense of what makes a good shot and doesn't just upload everything for the sake of it 👍

None of the scapes photos agrees with me either, It's easier to get great photos by taking race photos, where you can photograph in any angel. And depending on what weather setting you choose you can get different lighting etc.

That's why I didn't enter last week's photo competition (#08)- I spent two hours messing around with shots and couldn't come up with a single one that I found compelling enough to submit. Very few of the scapes shots were even what I would consider usable and that made it hard to do anything "unique" without going absolutely bonkers with filters.

I don't know if I would consider it a "block" like you'd experience with writer's block though- I decided to finally do a Project Cars photo comp instead (Physics Lesson) and came up with several pictures that I was really happy with, despite the inferior photo mode fighting me the whole way. It was just the topic/limitations of scapes.

Last week's comp was tough/challenging, but I submitted one out of like three I thought worthy.

Thanks for the replies... and the inspiration found here by you all. Last night I was trying a few new techniques, and they lead to other ideas/liveries/scapes/compositions. I guess I should just call it a night when my "block" happens again. :D

Yup I think everyone goes through that... hard not to get burnt out... But, as with others, I usually try something else in game or simply turn it off and come back to it. I'll occasionally grab a copy of my favorite car mag (CAR) and troll through looking for shots that I could replicate... or sometimes... I actually go and drive the cars ;)... sometimes...:D

Sometimes it's the car, it just doesn't work in the scene for me. Change to another car and the angles work perfectly in the 3d created light map.

I hate how limiting the scape scenes are. Sometimes I just want to move the camera up/down left/right a little bit and I can't so I usually don't like the outcome. Race photos is more fun but then there are other limitations to deal with ugh!

I hate how limiting the scape scenes are. Sometimes I just want to move the camera up/down left/right a little bit and I can't so I usually don't like the outcome. Race photos is more fun but then there are other limitations to deal with ugh!
Speaking of limitations taking race photos, what gets my goose is not being able to reduce the shutter speed below 60 during race shots. It seems the only way to blur shots to my liking is to enter scape mode, there I can reduce the shutter speed to 1/1 if I wanted... (depends on the colour of the car and which scape scene is used)... and yes, I to wish you had more freedom of camera movement in that mode as well.:banghead:

I have accepted that we can't move the camera around in scapes, although I still wish we had some photo travel locations to play with.

What I really can't get around is how restricted car placement and focal length are. Being able to place cars just out of frame would have allowed for a much greater variety of shots. Many scapes also limit you to a very small piece of asphalt close to the camera which is frustrating to deal with sometimes.

And I understand that they can only let you zoom in so far on some shots before the background image starts to pixelate but if I'm intending to put the background outside the depth of field, it's not a problem.

Back