Photomode Photographers Q&A #35 - nanabu

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 379 comments

Kodje​

1, How about an introduction?

First of all, I must apologize for my English. It was a torture to write this Q&A, I love writing but this time I was always limited in my expression by my poor English. Hope I won't have done too many mistakes and, most of all, I hope it remain comprehensible.

So let's go on.

My first name is Jérémy. I’m 36, I live in Paris, I’m married to the most beautiful and bright lady of the world and I have two lovely daughters (12 and almost 2, yeah I’ve taken my time between the two ;) ). I work in an urban planning agency where I study everyday mobility (how, why, when… people move each day) in order to have some clues to improve our transport system (not easy every day ;) ). I'm also a part-time teacher at an university. I know GTplanet since a long time because I’m an old fan of the GT games but I used to go only on the news page and I’ve really discovered the forum and its awesome community only recently with the photomode section. I sometimes regret to haven't come before because I really like sharing things with people here. No doubt it's one of the best international communities around the web.

2, How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?

I’ve started only recently in fact. I think I even never noticed there is such a mode in GT4… In GT5, I was thinking it was a useless gadget. I’ve got the game since the first day it has been released but I’ve taken my first photo in the middle of 2011. During a year I took only a very few pics and gradually I really got into it. Sharing my work and watching at other people gallery had help. And now I drive rarely and most of the time when I launch GT5, it’s in order to take some photos. This is certainly now one of the part of the game I prefer and one of the main reason to buy GT6 as soon as possible...

3, What was the first picture you took in GT5?

Obviously it was a F40 set... According to the time data the very first shot (except the ones I took for the trophy) is this one :

Not very beautiful and a little bit too dark but I still like it :)

4, And your first edit?

I'm not sure of which of the photos of my gallery is my first edit but this one is certainly the first one I wasn't totally disappointed by the result :

5, How would you describe your photography style?

The hardest question... I have really no idea how I could describe my style, not even if I have one. Ok it seems that, according to many of the visitor of my gallery, I have a thing : the “kodje glow effect” but it's not a purpose it's just that my edit work always leads me to this kind of rendering because it looks good for me.

6, In your opinion, what makes a great photo?

A lot of things could make a photo looks great. I will quote someone from here ;) : “A picture should make you love it before you have a chance to study it”. Never thought about it in these terms before I read this Q&A but it's the simple truth (not only for photo in fact). And there are a lot of things in a photo which could give you the desire to take time to watch it with attention. Even if the photo is not “perfect”, even if it has a lot of flaw.

It's hard to describe. There is obviously a “technical” part : composition, toning, light etc... there is also the way the photo speaks both to your mind and your soul, the feelings it gives you and the story it tells you. And finally there is something which is more than the sum of these aspects, which come from how they answer to each other and how you react to this conversation.

But I'm not sure I would give exactly the same answer about “real” photos and the ones we make with GT5. I think there is one more parameter in our case. Because we are working on “fake” (not realife) pics, we are also sometimes (not always and not only but sometimes) fascinated by the way a photo looks real.

7, What is your favourite car to shoot?

I really enjoy shooting many cars in this game, but I think there are three of them I could put on my top list : the Lamborghini Miura, the Ferrari F40 and the Lexus LFA. They are almost perfect in term of in-game modelisation and they are some of the most beautiful cars of the world imo. The curves of the Miura, the athletic elegance of the F40, and the energetic look of the LFA always spot on when you take photos of them.

8, What is your favourite location to shoot

Once more it is hard to give only one name. if I had to choose it would be probably Eiger. This track has a great light and a very nice landscape, the weather conditions can change radically its appearance, and you can find a lot of good and various spots to get good photos on it. And at last it is a short track so you can try a lot of things quickly on every part of it. But I also like very much the Nürb (especially the Nordschleife part), the SSRX (perfect light) and some of the city tracks (especially Tokyo and Madrid) .

In the photomode travel mode I like very much the Kyoto ones (Gion and the Shoren-In) and the Ahrweiler Square (and its off limits part especially).

9, What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?

The picture I will take tomorrow... I'm never totally satisfied of my work, especially when I look to the stuff of the others photographers but if I have to choose it would be probably this one :

I worked a long time on this one. It's a panorama with merged pics, it's a tonemapped HDR, I've added the graffiti and a license plate, used a lot of layers and try many different settings... And I was pretty satisfied by the result :)

10, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?

Yes, almost all my photos are edited. Most of the time, I use the same process for all my work.

First of all I take time to choose and tune the car I will shoot (paint, rims, .)… I think it’s an important part of the photo process. And so is the choice of track and weather conditions.

Then I often take multi-exposure shots. Most of the time, I take five shots from -2 to +2 EV (with the x2 résolution it’s sometimes a little bit boring to be euphemistic, but most of the time I edit the previous set during this time…). Sometimes I take more and sometimes less (according to the weather conditions in fact). Only exception : if I want to make a panorama with merged pics I don’t change the exposure in game, I do it later on the merged pic using Photoshop.

To merge pictures I still use Zoner PhotoStudio (current version is the 15). I think I will try photomerge in Photoshop one day.

I begin the edit process with photomatix, a HDR soft. Most of the time I do tonemapping but sometimes I prefer fusion. It depends on the rendering. About HDR and Photomatix you should have a look here.

I also prefer realistic appearance than “over-natural” ones when I do HDR.

Then I go to photoshop with my HDR pic and I use the classical tools like many others : filters, curves, contrast/light, balance etc… and for the light effects I use Knoll Light Factory. I also use some filters provided in the Red Giant plug-in.

I’ve discovered all these tools only recently and I think I use them very basically but that's great to know I have so much to learn.

11, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?

I think all the things I could want to add have been already mentioned by others members. For my part, the most important are : totally free camera ; slower shutter speed ; more tracks with weather control ; new phototravel locations ; possibility of interior shots. And obviously some new premium models...

Not sure if it has been already mentioned but I would like to have also a better GTAuto. More rims, a more easy to use interface to paint the car (and especially the possibility to see the result on the car before applying the paint) and some new features to personalize the car.

12, Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?

Read (and read again after a while) all the tutos available on the forum, I've learned a lot with them. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131913#Tutorials

Take your time to watch the work of other people here, everybody has some “special move” you can learn, everybody can be an inspiration.

13, Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?

I started sharing my work on an other forum but most of its members are also here. The first name which came to my mind is someone who has left the forum : Maxime (Max351). He has incredible editing skills and most of all he often share his tips with his “edit videos”. I learned a lot with his help and it's thanks to him if I've progressed. The second person I want to thanks is Hervé (HaerBev). I really love his work, he does realistic photos like only few can do and he always takes time to give you in depth comments. There are also Mathieu (Krysalis) and Yamalen who have incredible style and inspire me a lot.

When I came on GTPlanet and started sharing my work here I've discovered an other world full of talented people, the list is long and I hope I won't forget anyone : Lee, GPR, jBhIpS, Taiga, Nato, Nbdesign, ShaolinMasta, Smfan, Lilmann, MadMoss, Flamedogg, Miklad, BramTurismo, Nicknamealguem, Moglet, Primus Ortus, Gtuned, BkS, GT-R, zambuca, bmxmitch, justin, mazda787, ceiling_fan, driftingziggy, CCShaft7, Beeblebrox, zzz_pt, Fyshokid, hgrf93, SergeyShatokhin, Ariesps, TopGearHamster, el fayce, NissanFanatics, Anthaliscious, MoMo, RaY29rus, at1503, Mat123, Horde, StrayShadow, Terronium, DarkR, Kalax3, TVR&Ferrari_Fan, eddyac, RomanBidnyy, MrEverest, Nasadus, xMARKITOx, ShadowPeter, Giulietta73... And of course the one before me on this Q&A : Gtracer98.

I'm not playing the longest list game, I really thank you all for sharing your work and commenting mine, this list has no end because there are a lot of great and nice photographers here. That's why this community is so special.

I also just want to give a special thanks to Lee : first I really love his work and then I've learn a lot with his tutos about editing and photography in general.

14, Outside of GTPlanet, Do you have a special photo, piece of art or anything else you've created that you would like to share to showcase your other interests and talents?

The funny thing is I didn't do photography before I discover the GT5 Photomode. Of course, I used to take photos of my family, especially my kids. But since I do GT5 photo I've changed my approach and tried to do something different. For the moment I still use my phone or a little compact camera but I seriously think to buy a real camera to continue to learn photography. That's fun to think that a game can lead you to this kind of things... I've already try some edit work on real photos, just a few ones. You can see them in my flickr gallery. Here a sample of this work :

15, Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session?

For once, without any hesitation : HaerBev. I know his work pretty well but I can't wait to have his answers in this Q&A and I think it will be a very interesting interview for all people here (no I don't put you under pressure my friend ;)

Thanks Jérémy 👍

Last edited:
Great read Jérémy and your English is fine. I've always loved your shots and it's great having an insight into your work and thank you for listing me as an inspiration, i appreciate it.👍

Last edited:
Yeah that was a great read Jérémy. Very interesting answers and your english is more than fine. 👍 :)

Your job sounds quite interesting and it's great GT5 has got you interested in doing more photography in real life. Your sample shots are quite nice. 👍

Much like you I often feel like what I do is never good enough and hope to do better every time I do something new. So that was interesting to read.

Now that was a great read. Thanks for taking the time to do this Jérémy and Lee - much appreciated! 👍

That is a really fascinating read, and the tools you use to create those amazing photos are exceptional.
Its also good to know how you edit the pictures in GT5 as well.

A great insight into your work.👍

1st I would like to thank all of the interviewees for allowing us to get to know them better.. I also want to thank Lee for keeping this thread up .. I love to get those little insights on others editing styles and software. I also noticed a few naming me as one of the inspirational members.. I doubt any of you are nearly as inspired by me as I am by you but thanks for the ego boost.. And lastly I am curious how you are able to see your see your first post.. I can only track mine so far back

I really liked your interview Jeremy - wonderful favorite pic as well. That would be choice - great realism. Excellent work.

Great read Jérémy and your English is fine. I've always loved your shots and it's great having an insight into your work and thank you for listing me as an inspiration, i appreciate it.👍
I'm honored you like my work (and this is not just words :cheers:)
Interesting read, Jérémy! Your english is not bad at all. :cheers!
Merci Nicolas. I still prefer write in french anyway but glad you think my english isn't terrible :cheers:
Very interesting read Jeremy 👍 And very nice real world photos.
Thx a lot mate and very glad you like my attempts on real photos :cheers:
Great read Jérémy:tup:
Thx :cheers:
GPR
Yeah that was a great read Jérémy. Very interesting answers and your english is more than fine. 👍 :)

Your job sounds quite interesting and it's great GT5 has got you interested in doing more photography in real life. Your sample shots are quite nice. 👍

Much like you I often feel like what I do is never good enough and hope to do better every time I do something new. So that was interesting to read.
Thanks a lot George :cheers:
Was sure your was like me : always not satisfied by your work. When I look at your pics I see that you've worked a lot on all the little details 👍
Great reading as always! And thanks for mentioning me as an inspiration (my first mention, I feel special!) 👍
Thx a lot mate :) And you're welcome, sure you are special, you have your style (and i often enjoy it).
Great interview, kodje! :)
Thx :cheers:
Now that was a great read. Thanks for taking the time to do this Jérémy and Lee - much appreciated! 👍
Thanks ! Was a pleasure to write this even if it was difficult to do it in english ;)
Great read! Also, it's wonderful that you put me on that list! :)
Thx ! And you're welcome :cheers:
Great read Jérémy. 👍

And nice choice for the next interview, THE KING OF PANORAMAS!!! :embarrassed:
;) Yes I agree (of course). The king of realistic panorama I would say :)
That is a really fascinating read, and the tools you use to create those amazing photos are exceptional.
Its also good to know how you edit the pictures in GT5 as well.

A great insight into your work.👍
Thx a lot mate. If it could be of any help I would be proud :)
1st I would like to thank all of the interviewees for allowing us to get to know them better.. I also want to thank Lee for keeping this thread up .. I love to get those little insights on others editing styles and software. I also noticed a few naming me as one of the inspirational members.. I doubt any of you are nearly as inspired by me as I am by you but thanks for the ego boost.. And lastly I am curious how you are able to see your see your first post.. I can only track mine so far back
Thx ! :cheers:
I really liked your interview Jeremy - wonderful favorite pic as well. That would be choice - great realism. Excellent work.
Thx mate, very glad you like my choice of fav' pic :cheers:

HaerBev​

Hello everybody. First I must ask all your apologies for my English which sometimes can be really bad, but I'll try to do my best.

My name is Hervé, two celtic words were used to create Haer and Bev, the English translation is, strong and ardent. French but not proud of it, yes the tax country and its corrupted politicians.

I'm 41, may be the oldest man into photomode(?). I'm Divorced and working for a champagne producer, even if I can drink for free, I don't like that, been drunk only once and found it wasn't my thing. This is more like a money job as I'm more focused on serious matters like geopolitics, astrophysics, history, painting, mythology, occultism, medieval culture and still buying real books.

Music is a big part of my life, gigs and music collection into the metal world. Loving Stargate, Warehouse 13, Eureka, and The Outer Limits and many more TV shows. Enough said, let's move on to the following question before it gets boring!

I bought the game when it came out but, didn't play it a lot as I was thinking it wasn't finished, a few updates later, I launched the game and found the photomode, November 2011 became the main use in the game, a few days later I found a French forum where I was able to share the hideous classic newbie pictures, and saw Max351's fantasic work, it amazed me so much that I found enough will to strongly dive into the photomode.

My very first picture was, how can I say? Ugly, yes this is the word, x1 size and unedited:

24hdunrburgring.jpg

4, And your first edit?

This is the first time I tried to very lightly improve a picture, April 2012, the beginner style.

7097474359_6b62531e64_c.jpg

I think the fitting word is, panoramic. In July 2012 I started to merge pictures, it became my exclusive format, allowing me to fully express my feelings. A wider or higher resolution helps me to add more scenery and landscape, speed motion, mood and more. Some people are saying my work is realistic. I love to think into the panoramic way, I'm more productive following this path.

An efficient lighting, this is the most important thing, a dynamic camera angle helps a lot. Adding license plates, a beautiful sky, a magnificent depth of field, a carefully selected bokeh, a soft editing, a small border and a unique signature. Everything able to shake my mouse when browsing GTP. A picture telling a story, a delightful mood.

Quite hard to answer, The Miura is my favourite car, the MP4 is great too, both are shaped with sweet curves, if the Ferrari 412I can be found in GT6 this will be my ultimate fav, yes I know this is strange.

The Nordscleife and SSRX mainly, adjusting time and weather are really useful in order to make a pleasant picture. AM 6h40 or PM 18h40 and 25% or 50% cloudy sky are so nice.

I can't choose only one, here's a Monza panorama made with six x2 size pictures that I like a lot.

8500257134_1926b18c81_c.jpg

10, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?

Yes but I'm not into the heavy editing kind, using photomerge in order to create panoramas, a free photoshop plugin named Virtual Photographer, Gimp and the usual contrast, light, toning, colors, curves etc etc, Sharpner pro is also used softly. VP filters are always lowered between 80 and 60 % and I can apply six to ten on a picture. Altostorm panorama corrector is my magical trick, so helpful.

11, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?

Adding a tripod, long exposure, bracketing, deported flash and presets. removing filters as I find they're useless, a faster loading X2 size pics could be more than great.

There's so many high skilled photographers, the only thing I can dare to say is, you should try the panorama world and the wider action field.

I don't really find inspiration into photomode members skills, only Max351 and Revoxeli were the panorama inspirators.

On the contemplative side, there's Lee, yes he's the master, (the one who made me create an account on GTP) GPR, jBhIpS, Taiga, Nato, Nbdesign, ShaolinMasta, Smfan, MadMoss, Primus Ortus, GT-R, mazda787, driftingziggy, CCShaft7, hgrf93, Ariesps, TopGearHamster, el fayce, Anthaliscious, TopGearHamster, MoMo, RaY29rus, Horde, StrayShadow, Terronium, Kalax, RomanBidnyy, MrEverest, Giulietta73, Polarfox, Gtracer98, Krysalis, Yamalen.

Those I'm currently forgetting, I hope you won't blame me. The last but not the least is my friend Jérémy.

You guys are shaking my mouse with all your excellent work.

14, Outside of GTPlanet, Do you have a special photo, piece of art or anything else you've created that you would like to share to showcase your other interests and talents?

Interests and talents? Unfortunely not!

I want to nominate driftingziggy, I've always enjoyed his efficient work. Go go Zach, here's your turn mate.

All my best.
Hervé

Thanks Hervé 👍

First, that was a good read. You have really improved since you started!

Second, I'm a master of nothing. I'm an insignificant dollop of **** on the shoe of life but i really appreciate your kind words.

I'm glad people enjoy my pictures as much as i love the pictures you guys create!

👍

Awesome reads both Jérémy and Hervé. 👍

I can tell you Hervé that you're not quite the oldest photomoder here, I may lay claim to that but I suspect there will be people older than myself doing this too. ;)

Nice interviews Jeremy and Hervé.. And me as next member ..Holy 🤬 .. Really? Well I am glad to oblige but I can't promise I'll have anything nearly as interesting to say as some of the previous interviewees.

That was a very interesting read Hervé. It's amazing to me the diversity of age on here, quite surprising to see. I thought I was one of the oldest, turns out I was very wrong.

I agree with Lee, you definitely have improved over time. And I can see what you mean about pano's and how extra space in the format can allow for more expression.

I humbled I'm on your list of photomoders and that line about (the one who made me create an account on GTP) are you reffereing to me? :dunce:

That was an excellent read, Hervé. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the community! Didn't expect to be mentioned, but that just makes it so much sweeter! :D

Can't wait to read your interview, Ziggy. ;)

Great read Hervé! I think you'll find more 40+ members as the replies come rolling in!! Me for one!👍
Looking forward to Ziggy's interview!!

Last edited:
Wonderful comments Hervé - I would have chosen that pano as well, as it is a great photo, but you have many others that are just as good. One of the things I really like about your style of photography and editing is the realism. Your use of subdued tones and contrast is very compelling. Keep up the great work and thanks for the excellent read. 👍

vitruvian.jpg

driftinziggy​

My name is Zachary .. I am 36 years old and married for 11yrs and I have two daughters Eldest is 5yrs old and a 1yr old
I have worked in the food industry for the past 16 yrs from everything from busboy to Line Cook to Head Chef to Management. I was born and raised in Louisiana and moved to California around 2001.I lived there for about 11 yrs where I met my wife, had my first child, went to Culinary school, went to a performance driving school(Bob Bondurant's School in Arizona), and fell in love with drifting and touge. I am the quintessential JDM car guy through and through having owned at least 16 Japanese tuner cars.. from a couple of S13s, a Z32TT, AE86, multiple Hondas/Acuras, even a Subaru wagon and I did once have a Mustang GT convertible that was pretty fun and numerous random cars and trucks in between.

I dabbled quite a bit on GT4 and instantly took to it in GT5..GTP merely gave me a place to express this love with like minded people

This was the oldest one I could find on Flickr.. and I vaguely remember being so upset with the jaggies

6801892469_0a8daff004.jpg

4, And your first edit?
*Shaking my head..

6799847905_5588e64bf6.jpg

... *facepalms self.. I thought How do they produce such amazing work and I made this crap(Others made a first edit looking better than some of my current edits)

Evolving.. always.. I usually try for realism. I am often driving around and I spot some car that I just need to recreate.. But sometimes I get a little creative (find my Ghost car image)

The others have said it well.. Lighting, composition, a good story.. most of the things that I rarely achieve!
Editing can make a good photo great but it has to have some of the aforementioned qualities.

I love the LFA and the Ferrari 430/Scuderia.. The Ford GT is pretty photogenic.. I love the Classic Muscle cars but the wheels are a huge fail..You know what.. I like 'em all.. even the Prius TC looks awesome

Monza, The Ring, Madrid, and Tokyo R246.. The first two for the lighting and scenery...the latter two for the realistic city feel.

This one holds a special place in my heart.. It won a PMC competition(my first of two)..

8068779007_b2f2e4900e.jpg

I like it because I felt like I really caught the light well and even though it is a static shot it showed off the car as well as I had hoped for in an unedited shot

I don't always edit my shots.. I will pick a few out that seem like they could really benefit.
I use basic picmonkey tools like lowering/adding saturation and I seem to use Lomo and cinerama all the time..

-Interior views in both photo travel and photo mode
-Frame by frame replays or at the very least a fast forward or rewind and weather time adjust in photo travel
-More locations both urban and rural

Keep on shooting and critiquing yourself..ask for feedback. Like bmxmitch said "if you go on the first pages of my gallery, you'll see how crappy they were back then. If you stick to it and still have fun with it, they will improve...100%."

My fingers were dreading this part..
ShaolinMasta, Miklad, Moglet, Dark R, bmxmitch, BlindArchAngel, Dolp, mazda787, Smfan, MadMoss, Primus Ortus, GT-R, ,Kodje, CCShaft7, hgrf93, Ariesps, leeislee, GPR, jBhIpS, Taiga, Nato777, Hawk, Nbdesign, BramTurismo, TopGearHamster, Anthaliscious, zzz-pt, TopGearHamster, MoMo, RaY29rus, Horde, StrayShadow, Terronium, Kalax, RomanBidnyy, MrEverest, Giulietta73, Polarfox, Gtracer98, Hervé (still can't believe you nominated me!) and sooooo many others.Even some new faces around here are putting up some outstanding work and some of the GTP members are inspirational in other ways ch1potle, nealcropper, Montesende, GranKustoms, playinthru, Ramanujan, JK83 and so many others for being so generous.. I love this forum and its members (sorry if I didn't name you but my fingers hurt).

Haha ... No .. I have a Culinary degree.. An expired SCCA license..a great radio voice .. And am a talented martial artist.. But nothing to show

hawk2201 ..if he is willing and able

Thanks Zachary 👍

-Interior views in both photo travel and photo mode
-Frame by frame replays or at the very least a fast forward or rewind and weather time adjust in photo travel
-More locations both urban and rural
Yep, another great member interview...and i agree with these points too! 👍

Great interview DZ! I especially liked reading about your background. LA to CA, what a move. Sounds like you had a good experience in driving school. 👍

Back