Photos From History Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,140 comments
I was scouting GTP out of boredom looking for a nice new thread. Took me an hour but i think i hit the jackpot đź‘Ť
Will contribute when i find pics that are worth it. Love history and a view onto it.

"Back in the day"

history5.jpg
8594d1164577323-muscle-cars-stories-back-day-69-ss396.jpg

MCACN_2009_Escalante_Challenger__1_detail.jpg
Picture1315.jpg
backin68.jpg

Tubbing cars for tires had just become a thing. Que pro-street and pro-mod drag classes.

4cd2e6a8a42c63d8dc5383cd1b1e871d.jpg

TransAm_4-640.jpg
1969-trans-am-series-vintage-02.jpg
Nova.jpg

Yeah. Historic photos and photos relevant to history are one thing, but those photos are neither.

Given I study "Cinema", I will post some pictures I've seen so far:

"View from the Window at Le Gras", oldest surviving camera photograph.

View_from_the_Window_at_Le_Gras%2C_Joseph_Nic%C3%A9phore_Ni%C3%A9pce.jpg

"Boulevard du Temple", 1838, generally accepted as the first photograph to include people: a man shining his customer's shoes.

Boulevard_du_Temple_by_Daguerre.jpg

Lunch atop a Skyscraper

article-2206050-0059AA091000044C-332_964x756.jpg

Boulevard du Temple was a busy street, but because the exposure time was several minutes, only the bootshiner and his customer appear in the image.

@Liquid since I want to add an item that has a song written about it, could I add the song too, or just picture only and link the song?

This is another Great Lakes Freighter, the Edmund Fitzgerald. It was built in 1958, and at 729 feet long, it was the largest freighter on the lakes for a long time. It sank on November 10, 1975, and to date, is the largest vessel to sink in the Great Lakes. This lead to Gordon Lightfoot's smash hit "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" which was released on his 1976 album Summertime Dream.

EDIT: The song can be found here. This video also includes some news footage and color footage of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
TheEdmundFitzgerald.jpg

Last edited:
@Liquid since I want to add an item that has a song written about it, could I add the song too, or just picture only and link the song?

I'm not a moderator, but I'd say just have a link to it. Keep it simple.

Andre The Giant

With legendary New York wrestler Bruno Sammartino

AndreBruno.jpg

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

One of two known photographs of FDR in his wheelchair.

Rooseveltinwheelchair.jpg

The Troubles

IRA man on patrol in Belfast

IRA+Patrol.jpg

Thank you, Gorbachev!

RIAN_archive_428452_Germany_becomes_one_country.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-784-0249-04A%2C_Nordafrika%2C_Rommel_im_Befehlsfahrzeug_%22Greif%22.2.jpg

Erwin Rommel in North Africa.

There's hundreds of photos from the german Propagandakompanie on wikimedia.
They're not all very exciting, some just depicting day to day life during WWII. The picture of Rommel is just a notable example I found during a quick search for this thread.

EDIT:
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-218-0506-31%2C_Russland-S%C3%BCd%2C_bei_Stalingrad%2C_Hinweisschild.jpg

This one is quite interesting.

The Victorian Cousins - Doppelgaengers

Tsar Nicholas II of Russia & King George V of the United Kingdom

Both grandchildren of Queen Victoria making them direct, first cousins.

Tsar_Nicholas_II_%26_King_George_V.JPG

Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany

Another grandchild of Queen Victoria was Kasier Wilhelm II of Germany. He, Nicholas and George were all first cousins of one another and were all heads of three of Europe's four most powerful monarchies during World War One.

The interesting thing about that is that if the United Kingdom did not use Agnatic succession at the time of Queen Victoria's death, meaning that if the throne passed to the eldest child instead of the eldest male child, the British throne would have passed to Queen Victoria's eldest child Victoria instead of her eldest son Edward. Victoria, the daughter, died a few weeks after her mother and the British throne would have passed onto Kasier Wilhelm.

Isn't history strange?

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-2004-0096,_Kaiser_Wilhelm_II..jpg

The interesting thing about that is that if the United Kingdom did not use Agnatic succession at the time of Queen Victoria's death, meaning that if the throne passed to the eldest child instead of the eldest male child, the British throne would have passed to Queen Victoria's eldest child Victoria instead of her eldest son Edward. Victoria, the daughter, died a few weeks after her mother and the British throne would have passed onto Kasier Wilhelm.

So Britain would be incorporated into Germany and we would be fighting against the French in WW1? Wow.

So Britain would be incorporated into Germany and we would be fighting against the French in WW1? Wow.

Not exactly. It would have been a personal union meaning that he would have been concurrently the monarch of two separate sovereign states; distinctly King of the United Kingdom and Emperor of Germany.

What actually would have happened when World War One actually happened though is anybody's guess.

Not exactly. It would have been a personal union meaning that he would have been concurrently the monarch of two separate sovereign states; distinctly King of the United Kingdom and Emperor of Germany.

What actually would have happened when World War One actually happened though is anybody's guess.
And I didn't know this despite being half way through a politics and international relations degree. :dunce:

Although we don't really bother with royalty as they are largely irrelevant in this day and age except for formalities.

And I didn't know this despite being half way through a politics and international relations degree. :dunce:

Anachronistic? Perhaps. Irrelevant? Definitely not. Depends if you want to focus on monarchies or not. Given that it is such a large part of our history and still fundamentally part of our governance, I find it very interesting despite being a republican. Personal unions still exist now; Queen Elizabeth is Queen of the United Kingdom but also Queen of Canada, Queen of Australia et al without those being united under English or British rule.

But this is all for another thread I can bore you with. Back to the pictures!

Anachronistic? Perhaps. Irrelevant? Definitely not. Depends if you want to focus on monarchies or not. Given that it is such a large part of our history and still fundamentally part of our governance, I find it very interesting despite being a republican. Personal unions still exist now; Queen Elizabeth is Queen of the United Kingdom but also Queen of Canada, Queen of Australia et al without those being united under English or British rule.

But this is all for another thread I can bore you with. Back to the pictures!
No I meant as in they don't have real power (discarding the Whitlam crisis.) so we just focus on parliament. I am not doing history.

As for photos.
historical-photos-rare-pt2-sas-soldiers-1943.jpg

SAS in North Africa 1943.

Testing football helmets -1912
tumblr_msazthDcOT1qbb7qno1_1280.jpg

Cleaning Window High Rise in NYC -1957
tumblr_mhkkh00gTK1qdjto7o1_1280.jpg

Porters transport a car on long poles across a stream in Nepal -January 1950

tumblr_mor3aag9iI1s7f3fyo1_1280.jpg

German soldiers lighting a cigarette with a flamethrower
tumblr_mium612A821r3tosbo1_1280.jpg

North American B-25’s fly past an erupting Mount Vesuvius during the invasion of Italy -1944
tumblr_m1bfjiE2zV1qe99klo1_1280.jpg

Two giant horns with ear tubes, evidently designed to listen for approaching aircraft - 1921

tumblr_miub9a1lhv1qbb7qno1_1280.jpg

And this was a portable version.
tumblr_miubd1Elcr1qbb7qno1_1280.jpg

1923 FA Cup Final

The first at the newly opened Wembley Stadium, the official attendance is 126,047 but there was a gross underestimation of how many people wanted to see this game at the brand new 'Empire Stadium' as it was officially known. Well over 250,000 people descended on the stadium and attempted to cram their way into the bulging arena.

It is popularly known as the White Horse Final due to the famous image of a police horse (actually grey) used to control the hot crowd. There were over 900 recorded injuries from the event.

Incidentally, Bolton Wanderers beat West Ham United 2-0.

tumblr_m69eleQEyj1qd3ucoo1_1280.jpg

White_Horse_Final1923.jpg

article-2048402-039FA7C40000044D-774_468x349.jpg

PA-402718-650x515.jpg

Even King George was in attendance, surveying the madness from the Royal Box.

PA-1147337-650x512.jpg

They still pertain to the thread title however đź‘Ť

Sort of . . but not really. Look at the pics Shem posted of auto stuff - and you may get the idea. Got to be significantly historical, not outrageously hysterical. Do try again, Slash - don't give up! đź‘Ť

I am beginning to be really entranced by this thread - though clicking the 'likes' button is getting tiresome! :lol:
Great history notes, too - we can learn so much.

Here's one from me - so famous it's almost cliche:

originalNYTimesSqKiss_zps3f0c0e36.jpg

And some recent notes about it, for those who may want to know more:

http://nypost.com/2012/06/17/the-true-story-behind-the-iconic-v-j-day-sailor-and-nurse-smooch/

History in the making:

Troll%20A%2019950609071036.jpg

The tallest man made object that has ever been moved, the Troll A platform.
472 meters and 656 000 metric tonnes (1548 ft and 1 446 372 000 lb).

For scale:
huge-troll-a-oil-rig.jpg

Discovery did a documentary about that platform. Build in a fjord and then towed out to sea. Must have been an awesome sight to see that thing passing by.

Mi-10 "flying crane" carrying a Caterpillar dozer above Amsterdam (Soviet newspaper)
PEXu8672Df4.jpg

I found some info on that. It was a demonstration flight on March 14th 1966.
Here it is taking off from Schiphol Airport:

ANP01_12912356_X.JPG

Last edited:
Call the health and safety department!

One of the things that scares about that photo is not that they are that high up in the air. Rather, the fact that all it takes is a little push from one team worker to send you to your inminent death.

A little football now:

amadeocarrizo.jpg

"The first goalkeeper widely recognised to wear gloves was Amadeo Carrizo when he played for River Plate in the late 1940s and 1950s. The Argentinian was a pioneer helping to create many techniques and strategies for goalkeepers", says The Telegraph.

390479_heroa.jpg

He received a homage this year, where River Plate goalkeepers from lower divisions wore an attire like the one he used in his playing days.

maradonabelgium-433x500.jpg

Maradona against 6 Belgian players... or not. This iconic photograph, actually, was taken following a free kick from Argentina. The Belgian players seen here were part of the wall defending the free kick. However, Argentina player Ardiles passed the ball to Maradona, and the wall broke away.

Some historic photos of Skateboarding, while these photos may not be as historic as some others posted here, I feel they fit the thread title subject and I want to post them. :P

Stacy Peralta.
Quoted from Wikipedia

"At the age of nineteen, Peralta became the highest-ranked professional skateboarder. Soon after, he joined with manufacturer George Powell to form the Powel-Peralta skate gear company. With the financial backing of Powell-Peralta, Peralta formed the seminal Bones Brigade, a skate team composed of some the best skaters at the time, many of whom revolutionized modern skateboarding. He also began directing and producing the first skating demo videos for skaters such as Tony Hawk."

tumblr_mfi3tl3kmF1qk2fawo1_1280.jpg

preus_stacy_peralta_bowl.jpg

Stacy-Peralta-1974-zdj.-Craig-R.-Stecyk-III-dzi%C4%99ki-uprzejmo%C5%9Bci-MOCA-LA.jpg

xBEHW.jpg

Back