Pikes Peak Hill Climb May be Exclusively Licensed to the Gran Turismo Series

theres quite a lot wrong in the picture. First of all the Peugeot is misaligned - the back of the car is too low which doesnt match the angle of the road. All that fake shadow around the Peugeot is there to hide the mismatch.

secondly there is a lot of smugde going on on the road between the cars - and i say on the road rather than on the tarmac here as the celica is not on tarmac, its on gravel.. :odd::lol:

Its Rod Millen's Celica from 1994 - the record holder for the gravel version of Pike's Peak.

So - Photo stitching all over the picture. Made for marketing purposes purely.

Last edited:
It's not ideal for consumers, but It's business, and I get it. Exclusivity is one of the only ways companies have to separate themselves from the ever growing pack. If every racing game has the same cars and the same tracks, then there's a much minimized incentive for consumers to target a specific brand when shopping for their games.

Let's face it. Even though it's their own fault, GT is always late to the party, and I think they're starting to realize that people now have many options for their racing titles. I don't like it. But it's another feather in their cap if only they can boast to having a much wanted track like Pike's Peak.

If GTS let's me do this in Ken Block's 1400hp Hoonicorn, I may actually start to get interested in GT again

Unfortunately, I think Forza has the license with Hoonigan. So while you can probably drive like an idiot up the Hillclimb course, it won't be in the Hoonicorn.

There are plenty of other great cars to choose from in GT Sport, although sadly the Escudo is missing.

Last edited:
I don't believe Pikes Peak will be in GT Sport.

They are currently the second highest named sponsor. They last year they were called "title sponsor", along with the Broadmoor,
this year, they were demoted a half tick, called "platinum sponsor". But they are still right at the top with the Broadmoor Hotel.
They have been a major sponsor for many years, now, and their name, and the Broadmoor are obligatorily spoken every single time
the race name is mentioned by broadcasters. "The Broadmoor Pikes Peak International Hill Climb sponsored by Gran Turismo".
Every time.
At the local tech day and practice day events, the fanfest events, ... GT have never had a booth, or presence at all, nor do most of the fans know what a "gran turismo" even is.
That's because beyond the PPIHC title, no journalists or broadcasters ever mention that it's a cool video game.
They never mention what Gran Turismo even is.

This year, again nothing .... zero.
And the event was at the height of excitement for us Gran Turismo drivers, with lots of GTS info coming out, and a lot of us playing the beta.
We were all going nuts about GTS, and the race week happened with zero mention of the game here at the race.
Simultaneously, PD was releasing tons of groovy info about their new game, but zero mention or glimpse of their gem, Pikes Peak.

Do you think a major sponsor would let a key marketing opportunity, the race itself, go by without a peep either at the race or in their own GTS promotion?
Some amazing secret, holding back Pikes Peak that they don't want to reveal yet?
They were doing everything they could to increase excitement and awareness of the new game, at that very moment in time.
They're going to keep a Pikes Peak course in secret during all this?
With their release date only a few months away, so it can be an 'extra surprise prize'?
No. I don't believe it.

Here is what happened.
fact: Polyphony bought in as a major sponsor many years ago, and they literally do have a long running relationship with the race.
fact: PD were here scanning the road about 3 years ago.
fact: Codemasters knocked the ball out of the park with their rendition of PPIHC.
conjecture: Kaz saw PP in DiRT Rally, Kaz drove it. Then Kaz put his version in a dark vault to circumvent embarrassment.

GT has always been so-so on dirt courses, never serious.
DiRT Rally version is amazingly faithful to the real thing, and SLRE's version is passable.
I don't think Kaz has a comparable version, and nothing in their past games would suggest they are capable of it.

Maybe someday, but I don't expect to see it in GTS.
Buy a copy of DiRT Rally, and enjoy the real deal on this mountain, right now! :)

tajima%20eyes%20for%20web%2072dpi%201280x800%20credited-XL.jpg

monster-san%20for%20web%2072dpi%201280x800%20credited-XL.jpg

True, but it still has the characteristics of a rally stage, just like Monte Carlo: A-to-B rather than circuit, tight road, lots of hairpins, no safety barriers.

If GTS wants to establish itself as the go-to online racing game, it needs to focus on one area of racing. Project Cars 2 has tons of different race car classifications, and while I'm sure each classification has some fans out there who enjoy playing them, the majority of the players only care about GT1, GT3, and GT4. You can never find a Ginetta 40J or Road F race online, even though those cars are fun to drive.

Why is it bad to have more variety? Per se, it's not, but if you consider the amount of effort it takes PD to make tracks and cars, and the likelihood of some niche racing types not being very popular, it becomes a business decision.

The main reason I said PD should leave it to CM or SMS, though, is because those studios have much better rally driving simulations. If you want to play an amazing Pikes Peak hill climb, get Codemasters' Dirt Rally.

Gran Turismo 2 had Pikes Peak hill climb, and my favorite car was Suzuki Escudo, and now with tarmac, its a welcome from me to Gran Turismo Sport, so nostalgical.

Gran Turismo 2 had Pikes Peak hill climb, and my favorite car was Suzuki Escudo, and now with tarmac, its a welcome from me to Gran Turismo Sport, so nostalgical.
Well, not really, it didn't.
It had a fantasy course named Pikes Peak Hill Climb, which hardly resembled the real course.

Last edited:
It had a fantasy course named Pikes Peak Hill Climb, which in no way resembled the course.
Except for the section between George's Corner, just after mile marker 13, and Devil's Playground, just after mile marker 16, which is laid out exactly the same as GT2's Pikes Peak course map.

... exactly ...
OK, I edited my post to, "hardly resembles".

They did attempt to lay out a few sections, probably from tracing a topo map, and looking at film, and stitched them together into a short fantasy point to point, that was a huge disappointment to anyone who has been there. It's really really bad.

They did attempt to lay out a few sections, probably from tracing a topo map, and looking at film, and stitched them together into a short fantasy point to point
It's a contiguous 2.6 mile stretch based on a single section of the real course.
that was a huge disappointment to anyone who has been there. It's really really bad.
That may well be the case - I mean, Laguna Seca wasn't exactly a laser-scanned, shining example of perfection either - but it's not a fictional layout either.

No chance of them adding it to GTS now, keep waiting for GT7.

If they still don't include it then dang, talk about a wasted license.
Yeah I highly doubt it will show up in GTS haha I was just having a jab, at this point it's way more likely to be in GT7

It may be exclusively licensed to PD but I'll take a fan-made mod for BeamNG over a never arriving PD-polished version any day.

Latest Posts

Back