Pikes Peak Hill Climb May be Exclusively Licensed to the Gran Turismo Series

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Premium

At the end of the day Kaz is still a competitor in an increasingly competitive marketplace. If PP does indeed end up a GT exclusive it's a feather in his cap and, IMO, a good business move for PD. It's a good move for many fans of the franchise as well. Who it might suck for is fans of the Dirt series or others that might have included this layout in their games. But for PD and Kaz, it's a good move overall.

2. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

I am just completely lost on why. What exactly prompted this? What on earth has happened that would make a deal like this make ANY sense?

At the time (before it was confirmed) all I saw was yet another eurogamer article making a claim involving GT Sport and from what I read, there was nothing they put that suggested it was true.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  3. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

"May"

4. Tassie_tiger

Tassie_tiger

Roger that.

Fair enough. :tup:

SZRT Ice likes this.
  5. letdown427

letdown427

I imagine this has already been done to death, but there goes any chance of Pikes Peak ever appearing in a video game until the exclusive licence is up.

6. 05XR8

05XR8

I dont think I'll miss PP in any other game. I get to race Oulton Park and Donington and California's HWY 1 in PCars. VIR and Lime Rock in Forza.

It'll probably be 20 years when PD decide to relive the course. No biggie.

7. Spagetti69

Spagetti69 Premium

It will be downhill rolling starts anyway........
    PD gonna PD.

8. Rautz

Rautz

Calling it now:

Demo announcement during E3 revealing same day download.

Demo will only have the PP hill climb event and a couple of PP cars to use.

Can only try demo during the event and fastest times during the real life event will update on the demo in real-time.

..... in 2026

Johnnypenso likes this.
  9. deththrasher

deththrasher

It was awesome in Dirt Rally and now won't be in Dirt 4

bollocks

10. Stephen220378

Stephen220378

Just why?

GT is not a rally game or even a point-to-point racing game so why tie up a licence like Pikes Peak when other games will do it better? Exclusive licences suck, end of. It's screwing the consumers.

You would think that PD of all people would realise this with the fact EA had Porsche locked down for years despite the fact they didn't have a realistic racing game to use the cars in.

But the worst thing is that this nonsense exclusivity deal won't make a rapidly declining franchise like GT any better, it has far bigger problems, most of which, knowing Kaz and PD, won't ever be addressed.

Sick Cylinder, bremics and Devil240Z like this.
  11. Devil240Z

Devil240Z

I think I finally don't care about pikes peak anymore. Its not a fun course to drive.

12. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Pikes isn't a rally course

13. queleuleu

queleuleu

Must be the best version of Pikes Peak because "exclusivity' and given how Poly manages licences (Super GT, WRC, Top Gear, Senna...) I have a bad feeling. A dirt version is mandatory!

14. Silver Arrows

Silver Arrows Premium

Exactly. With the removal of Porsche's exclusivity deal with EA, we're going to see more posturing with regards to licensing. Tracks are a natural extension of this.

15. Michelin Man

Michelin Man

This. Amidst the deal, I'd love a full dirt version, would definitely sweeten the deal. Though I admit, an exclusivity deal is not the best way around it, especially after Porsche ending theirs. And from a DIRT series perspective, it's quite frustrating.

However, being the optimist that I am, I will say that I hope PD make the most of exclusivity and at least model The Peak to the best of it's ability (and a full dirt version would certainly help that :D). But hey-ho, we all know PD very well, expect the unexpected, or nothing at all :lol:.

Either way, I'm happy that it means that we'll at least get Pikes Peak in a future GT title, though sooner rather that later would be great PD. And if it's included in GTSport, then great, but it'll certainly be a little odd, what with the eSport's side of things, but also with evidence of the current rally track; Fisherman's Rank, will certainly be different.

But hey-ho, the more rally tracks the merrier for GTSport I guess.

16. Eager Snake

Eager Snake

I was actually reading that and laughing about it :D

GTPVenomZombie likes this.
  17. sems4arsenal

sems4arsenal Premium

They surely can't mess that up, I mean it's a track :lol: .

18. Stephen220378

Stephen220378

Didn't say it was, however, it's still more suited to games dedicated to point to point racing.

Again I'll stress though that this GT/Pikes Peak exclusivity deal is completely pointless and is of zero benefit to anyone.

Spagetti69 and Imari like this.
  19. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Says who? GT has had point to point in the past, so it being in the game is fine. As for the exclusivity most of us agree with that, it's the arguments beyond, which become questionable

20. Eager Snake

Eager Snake

You just never know... :(

21. synon

synon

It's a hillclimb event, so I don't see why it's less suited in GT than in a rally game. Pikes Peak is the most requested course in the GTP forum, so generally a fair number would like it in the game, and it's the event that's been licensed, not the course.

22. doblocruiser

doblocruiser

Came across this image on the Pikes Peak FB site

[​IMG]

Is that RL or does it come very close to GTS graphics? I am in doubt. The Celica seems generated and I also have a doubt concerning shadows next to the Peug being RL.

edit: Helmet is also different from Loeb's:
    [​IMG]

23. RX-7_FD3S

RX-7_FD3S

Not sure why you're saying the helmet is different, he got his head turned on the first pics and on the second you can see the yellow highlight on the side and the black on top.

24. doblocruiser

doblocruiser

I see as well his head is turned in the image but even with that it doesn't correspond completely with the picture below (white lines around the yellow for example). It was more that I was searching for an indication that it could be a computer generated pic rather than a RL picture.

25. Tassie_tiger

Tassie_tiger

Yeh, I'm not convinced either.
    Saying that, I tried to find something like a car parade of famous cars from the last few years but failed.

It's an image for this year's event.
    My guess is it's probably a photoshopped promo.image.

Interesting nonetheless.

usmaan likes this.
  26. prousonhairy

prousonhairy

If you blow up the picture, the scenery down in the valley makes me think it's a real picture. You can see what looks like houses and gravel roads. The cars may be CG though, but the scenery definitely looks real.

usmaan likes this.
  27. doblocruiser

doblocruiser

Scape possibillity or not? Hmmm

usmaan likes this.
  28. Tassie_tiger

Tassie_tiger

Possibility I guess.

My googling skills leave a lot to be desired. :sly:
    But I couldn't find anything suggesting Rod Millens GT4 has been on the track since its been paved.
    And of course that would also mean since 2013 considering Sebs car is there.

So in that sense I find it an interesting image. :tup:

doblocruiser likes this.
  29. doblocruiser

doblocruiser

I found another picture, so the 208 seems real

[​IMG]

The FB pic is fabricated! Above picture is closest I could find on the web.

Notice the difference between shadows and camera on the car compared to fb image. Also the tarmac around the celica differs. Helmet differs in both pics as well as the dirt on the car. Shadow on the right of the car don't match. Angle of the car is different.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  30. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Looks Photoshoped to me. The cars don't appear to be sat correctly to the angle of the road. Loeb also has his visor up, so pretty sure it's a shot of him with the car stationary.

usmaan likes this.