Pirelli 18 inch F1 wheels Poll

• Thread starter Sonzilla
  • 36 comments

Would you want to see 18" wheels in F1?

• Total voters
Fugly :ill: :yuck:

248033.jpg

Bernie's Club:DUB Edition

This is why putting spaces in your sentances is important, people.

As for the wheels - they don't look as bad as I thought they would. After not very long we'd be used to the new look and not notice them. I'd say that's true for almost all F1 aesthetic changes; the only exception being the penis noses that still irk.

Having said that and voted Yay, I'm not really that fussed either way.

Roo
After not very long we'd be used to the new look and not notice them. I'd say that's true for almost all F1 aesthetic changes; the only exception being the penis noses that still irk.

This. It seems that every time there is a rule change in F1 people moan a bucket full about how the looks of the cars have been ruined, and then six months down the line people have forgotten about it.

The most notable example was 2009, when the introduction of wider front and narrower rear wings appeared to cause abject horror, but when I look back now, the 2008 cars they replaced look squashed and - thanks to all the fussy little winglets - a bit of a mess. Yes, some of the noses on this year's cars look somewhat poorly resolved, but I think the Mercedes and even the Red Bull are a marked improvement on their previous cars.

I like the look of the new wheels, and I understand the reasoning behind the desired switch, so it's a yay from me.

The Lotus looks like a hotwheels now. XD

I heard somewhere that one of the reasons for these new wheels is because Michelin will comeback only if they can use a more road relevant wheel and tire combo. I doubt they really want to comeback though.

Personally, they aren't bad, but they should maybe use one of the spoke arrangements that LMP1 cars use. Or at least have a few different choices of styles. That or instead of 18, they should use 17's lol.

I think pretending Formula 1 tires have any relevance at all to road tires is as laughable as pretending that an M5 V10 or a Lexus LFA V10 has any relation at all to an F1 V10. I see this as a cynical marketing move to drum up more interest in the sport.

-

That said... Yay. 13" wheels in this day and age are ridiculous, and freeing up space for better brake packaging, especially given the high profile brake failures we've had this season due to the heat and regenerative braking, can only be good. Allowing an increase in brake size also means the FIA can clamp down more on brake ducts to ensure they have very limited aerodynamic effect.

So let me get this straight, The outer diameter of the tire is the same but the rim is bigger shrinking the side wall compaired to the normal wheel right?

While i like the look "some what" and the cars handling would improve slightly from the drivers perspective i'd have to agree with catamount39 maybe dropping it to a 17" would be better.

An impossible ask....the sidewall of a F1 tyre is one the most complex structures of the tyre world. Massive G-forces on all directions. Also the sidewall contributes to 50% of the overall vertical soak....ie; suspension.

Bigger wheels....What, trying to make a real "Hotwheels" car? Really?

While it certainly is a massive departure from the standard wheel size we've been used to, Its not really that bad to me. I could be wrong because I'm just basing it off that picture, but that looks to be around the same size as the LMP wheels.

While it certainly is a massive departure from the standard wheel size we've been used to, Its not really that bad to me. I could be wrong because I'm just basing it off that picture, but that looks to be around the same size as the LMP wheels.
LMP1,LMP2,and GTE all use 18".

I think they look alright.
I also think the Lotus looks pretty good with the black and gold livery on gold wheels, wether other teams will look as good...I guess we'll find out in the future.

Back