Pirelli 18 inch F1 wheels Poll

• Thread starter Sonzilla
  • 36 comments

Would you want to see 18" wheels in F1?

• Total voters
Do note, the overall tire diameter has increased slightly, and the tires are just as wide as before.

There are negatives, but there are also positives. The larger diameter should help with keeping tire temperatures in check... as would the removal of some sidewall flex created heat.

Bigger (cooler and more reliable) brakes are also now possible.

Reduced cost in tires. (as long as you don't bend enough wheels to balance out that saving... I'm looking at you, Maldonado...)

Minimal weight penalty for diameter increase (would have been weight savings if they kept the diameter the same).

I don't know about the 18" wheels (although I voted yes), but at least some increase would be nice so they can pretend to have some road car relevance (either the 15" IndyCar uses, or maybe a 16 or 17). It would be a little silly to go from one extreme to the other (typical FIA that would be though) without actually consulting the teams' engineers to figure out a happy medium that would get the optimal benefit of weight, brake size, tire temperature, performance. I definitely wouldn't want this to be yet another way they can slow the cars down by taking away grip and making them heavier.

Bigger sidewalls=better looking wheels.

I'm kinda with that - don't see why if they're going to start messing with the wheel size, why does the tire size have to stay the same apart from smaller sidewalls. I still think wider and taller tires in the rear would be a nice change :) Not like in the 70s since that might disrupt the aero, but right now they barely look bigger than the fronts...

I said nay. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I hope the FIA doesn't see this as a good idea...

Someone on sky sports comments section said this and I 100% agree with him:

"These hapless bureaucrats are only deepening the F1 identity crisis. Banning FRIC while floating low-profile tyres makes it clear that the FIA doesn't have a coherent vision for F1. The suspension will have to provide considerably more travel and damping in order to deal with stiff low-profile tyres and heavier wheels. These tyres require the sophisticated suspension systems which the FIA is imminently banning. F1 is the pinnacle of motor sport. It's expensive. It needs factory teams with deep pockets, not scrappy privateers perennially demanding cost-cutting policies. The factory teams will embrace Le Mans rather than F1 if they are not allowed to innovate and differentiate their brands in F1."

Last edited:
Back