• Thread starter Liquid
  • 129 comments
Balls cross, West Sussex
Booby dingle, Herefordshire
Buttock point, isle of bute
Cockup bottom, near bassenthwaite, Cumbria
Elephant and castle, London
Lumps of garryhorn, Dumfries and Galloway

sounds a little like order shot. Which linked with the huge army base there makes it rather funny.

Ha, maybe that's why I didn't get it then. To me, it's a short A sound so I say it a bit like Oll-der-shot.

I knew this one would pop up at some point. I grew up relatively near it. My history teacher insisted on pronouncing it phonetically and tried to tell his class full of pupils that we were pronouncing it wrong. He wasn't even from the area. :banghead:

I always liked Auchtermuchty. Especially when someone who isn't Scottish tries to pronounce it. Maybe it's too late to nominate it for the GTP accent challenge, but I'd like to hear some attempts at it.

Edit:

Medicine Hat in Alberta. Seriously? Who came up with that name?
Probably the same guy who came up with Saint-Louis Du Ha! Ha!, Placenta, Prince Rupert and Flin Flon.

Recently found a couple of small villages called New Invention. Both of which aren't very far from here.

Add to that Cockshutt-cum-Petton and Uckington.

Ha, maybe that's why I didn't get it then. To me, it's a short A sound so I say it a bit like Oll-der-shot.

Which is also how I say it. Didn't get it either until he pointed it out, otherwise it doesn't sound unusual at all.

Last edited:
No one gets the Aldershot thing. I lived near there and went there regularly for 8 years as well. :indiff:

A Norwegian Research base in Antarctica
1287666826226.png

Also, I bought a cat on Crotch Crescent in Oxford.

There's a place in Newfoundland called Happy Valley. Which, from what I've heard, is quite ironic.

There's a place in Newfoundland called Happy Valley. Which, from what I've heard, is quite ironic.

Yeah, that's in Labrador. I think its now officially Happy Valley Goose Bay, which sounds worse.

Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts.

All Spartas!
Sparta, Elgin, Ontario
Sparta, Randolph, Illinois
Sparta, Dearborn, Indiana
Sparta, Hancock, Georgia
Sparta, Gallatin/Owen, Kentucky
Sparta, Kent, Michigan
Sparta, Chickasaw, Mississippi
Sparta, Christian, Missouri
Sparta, Sussex, New Jersey
Sparta, Livingston, New York
Sparta, Alleghany, North Carolina
Sparta, Morrow, Ohio
Sparta, White, Tennessee
Sparta, Monroe, Wisconsin

Don't forget Happy Valley (Hong Kong), and Cwm Maethlon (Happy Valley) in Wales.

Last edited:
There's a place where I used to run a business here in Chongqing called Foreigner Town, I don't know the Chinese characters for it though.

I found it amusing as I was the only foreigner there for a few years.

Tom
Blimey, you're really close to me! Nothing weird around here sadly, just plain old boring Thanet!

No, sorry I'm not Kentish. However I have been past this sign before as I do have family in Kent.

I don't know if everyone will find it funny:

Mosport was the old name of CTMP (Canadian Tire [TM] Motorsports Park) in the city of Bowmanville.

Don't know if it's been said yet, but the first thing I thought of was Dead Horse, Alaska.

Unalaska, Alaska. Naming any city as that but remaining in the same state just causes humor and confusion.

Went on Google maps, to my local area, and found "Catchacoma Lake."

Also found:

Skeleton Lake
Wahwashkesh Lake
Lac Des Milles Lacs (Lake of the Thousands of Lakes)
Molson Lake (Molson Canadian?)
Hairy Lake
Opaskaykowesa Lake
Musketasonan Lake

^A mix of ridiculous settlers' names, and aboriginal (First Nations') names.

70 Mile House
100 Mile House
150 Mile House

They are so-called because of their distance from Lillooet BC, on the old Cariboo Gold Rush trail. They used to be service houses, but are now towns with hundreds of inhabitants, :lol:

Truth or Consequences,New mexico. Spaceport America is Approximately 30 miles southeast.

Back