Place Names?

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 129 comments
The complete name of Los Angeles is technically El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula.

So far longer than saying 'LA'.

"The City of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels of Porciuncula"

No, it's just as much of a mouthful translated into English.

Oh yes, there's a small wooded lane in my town called Hurlbutts Drive. It's between the leisure centre and Pizza Hut.

I would get a print screen, but I am on a very cheap netbook at the moment. Google Map 'Hurlbutts Drive' and you can see the mundane horror for yourself...

Another funny one from Japan.

Satsuma. Got a long history as well that area.

There was once a bingo province as well but not any more.

Last edited:
I remembered that there are at least two villages called Carmel in North Wales.

It both amuses and infuriates me because it instantly draws me to the United States pronunciation of caramel.

Dude what. I thought that was the name of the Pejeranch, but there is actually a place named like that. Amazing.

I remembered that there are at least two villages called Carmel in North Wales.

I can count 4 in North Wales, and a caravan park in mid Powys.

Imagine that someone named a town "The ****" and you pretty much get the idea. That literally.

You make it sound like it's named so because of the reaction people have when they enter said town. :lol:

Noticed some British suffices were brought up in the 'Americanisms' thread.

With -wick and -wich, the W is sometimes silent.

Berwick (Berrick), Alnwick (Annick), Warwick (Warrick)
Norwich (Norritsh), Dulwich (Dullitsh), Horwich (Horritsh)

However, Ipswich, West Bromwich, Sandwich, Northwich and Nantwich do pronounce the W. Strange.

Noticed some British suffices were brought up in the 'Americanisms' thread.

With -wick and -wich, the W is sometimes silent.

Berwick (Berrick), Alnwick (Annick), Warwick (Warrick)
Norwich (Norritsh), Dulwich (Dullitsh), Horwich (Horritsh)

However, Ipswich, West Bromwich, Sandwich, Northwich and Nantwich do pronounce the W. Strange.

Now I understand why everytime Norwich City plays they pronnounce "Norritsh" :dunce:

Thongsbridge is where I used to go to army cadets, and the name of our detatchment. Nobody used to mention the fact it has 'thongs' in it though, instead the other detatchments called us Mongsbridge. There's also a place called Upperthong.

Surely the only w in that which is pronounced is the one in west?

West Brommitch, surely.

Actually, now that you mention it, it does sound more like that.

I was always under the illusion that the second W was just faintly in there. I know I've heard it said like that before.

Now I understand why everytime Norwich City plays they pronnounce "Norritsh" :dunce:
You wait until you hear how we pronounce Norritch's county, Norfolk.

It's not "Nor fowk", that's for sure.

Not sure if we danes knew the "nisenglish" translations (those that watched The Julekalender will know) of our place names when we named them.. I live close to Harbour Mountain, though none of those are around, on Als (nothing there), and the only ways to "escape" both involve passing Guderup, meaning God something. I'm not even sure what rup translates to, in this context it certainly isn't Louie. Option one is to go through or around Helved, which I'm not sure if it has a 3rd e, Hell as already said, OR we can cross Verdens Ende, the end of the world! As you can see, we're held prisoners :lol:

Also found something on 4 major danish cities:
Esbjerg becomes Ace Mountain, which sounds like the final level in an arcade racer.
Ålborg becomes Eel Castle
Århus is Year House
And now the best:
Copenhagen in danish is københavn. Split that in three words and translate these individually and you'll get Buyaharbour

Long live epic place names :lol:

Well, on the pronunciation thing.. Towcester, Bicester, Leicester and Gloucester seem to trip up foreigners quite a lot! (Toaster, Bister, Lester and Gloster)

Not sure if we danes knew the "nisenglish" translations (those that watched The Julekalender will know) of our place names when we named them.. I live close to Harbour Mountain, though none of those are around, on Als (nothing there), and the only ways to "escape" both involve passing Guderup, meaning God something. I'm not even sure what rup translates to, in this context it certainly isn't Louie. Option one is to go through or around Helved, which I'm not sure if it has a 3rd e, Hell as already said, OR we can cross Verdens Ende, the end of the world! As you can see, we're held prisoners :lol:

Also found something on 4 major danish cities:
Esbjerg becomes Ace Mountain, which sounds like the final level in an arcade racer.
Ålborg becomes Eel Castle
Århus is Year House
And now the best:
Copenhagen in danish is københavn. Split that in three words and translate these individually and you'll get Buyaharbour

Long live epic place names :lol:
I believe Western Jutland got the oddest city names, inside Denmark. Well, I believe we can agree on Jutland :lol:.
Well, on the pronunciation thing.. Towcester, Bicester, Leicester and Gloucester seem to trip up foreigners quite a lot! (Toaster, Bister, Lester and Gloster)
Do you really pronounce Towcester as [toaster] :lol:? I would honestly have said [Tow-chester], if I didn't know :P.

I was born and raised in Paradise, CA, located near Whiskey Flatts (of which about .1% is actually flat), Inskip, LoveLock and Chico.

Oh, can't forget about a friend that lives in Surprise, AZ. My cousin lives in Sandy Valley, NV... it's just really dusty.

I do believe there is a Lovelock, NV, but I'm just down the road from Lovelock, CA. The only thing still left there is a restaurant/bar that was partially burned by an arson fire a couple years ago.

Not forgetting that old U.S favourite, Wer-chester-shire sauce.

How could I forget Warchester!.. for the foreigners that's Worcester, pronounced Wuster... or Wooster.

Infact, if you're visiting England and you need to get to somewhere that ends with 'cester, you're maybe better off pointing, than asking.

I was watching the show about this guy who goes in search for large fishes, River Monsters I think it's called, and he just went to a place called Moron. :lol:

That's such an uninspired name for a city, since in English it just means "river". Hell, the river it's situated next to is simply called "wide river".

Wait until "river" becomes a term used by members here.

That's such an uninspired name for a city, since in English it just means "river". Hell, the river it's situated next to is simply called "wide river".

Wait until "river" becomes a term used by members here.

Thanks for being a killjoy you river.
(Sorry, I just had to)

Back