Played Forza demo, was not impressed

Discussion in 'Forza Motorsport 1' started by evolutionmb, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Symtex

Symtex

Have you ever play the GTR demo ? I think it's more sim that any other game i ever experience so far. I understand also that you like the GT series has being on the GT fansite but you have to realise there is other product on the market that are more "SIM" than GT4. If you drive in forza like you drive in GT4, you are bound to fail miserably.

By comparing Forza to NFSU:2, you have lost any credibility of your post. Now i do like the GT4 series as much as anyone on this site but I do not swear only by it.

2. Pak

Pak

HAHA nice one :lol::tup:

3. Jedi2016

Jedi2016

Actually, GT3 did not max out the PS2. GT1 and GT2 maxxed out the PS1, which is why they look virtually identical in terms of graphics quality. And they maxxed it out for a reason. They had a small device (which I don't know the name of) that they hooked up the dev-kit, and it told them exactly how much of the system they were using. In the case of GT1 and GT2, this number was right around 100% of the PS1's capabilities.

When PD made GT3, they didn't have this device, Sony hadn't made one for the PS2 yet. Toward the very end of the production cycle, they did finally get one, but it was too late to effectively use it, as the game was only a month or so from release. But it told them that GT3 was only pushing PS2 to about 25%.

Think about it.. if GT3 had truly maxxed out the capabilities of the PS2, why is it that GT4 is such a big step up? If GT3 was pushing 100%, what's GT4 pushing? 130%? 150%? Needless to say, that's quite impossible.

Are you basing your assumption of GT4's graphics from the videos you've seen here on GTP, or have you actually played one of the demos? The videos are a poor example, due to the lower resolution and compression for online. I've seen hi-res direct-feed video on TV, on a few of the OPM discs, as well as playing one of the demos (the "least" of the demos, the Toyota one). And that Toyota demo, six months old, is far and away above GT3 in the graphics department. GT3 doesn't have anything half as pretty as that Prius putzing it's way around Fuji Speedway.

4. spawn9999999

spawn9999999

The MC2, even though not a great wheel, should give me more control than a controller. IT DIDN'T. Hey buddy, I know that the wheels lock up under hard braking. Did I say I was braking hard? NO! I said I was braking lightly!! And I definetly have enough skill to play the demo!!!!!

5. Symtex

Symtex

Thanks for your respond. That information about the PS2 maxout has been taken from a video when GT4 was annouce "Gold" status by Kaz himself. If was saying they optimized the way they work and that is how they were able to get a better result.

I have the GT4 Japanese demo. I though Nurburgring was very well done even though I didn't get the chance to complete it (time limit). I have post over 10 picture of me playing the demo to proof that I have the demo.

As far as graphic improvement, I agree, the game has been improved. I also notice that if you stop the car and start looking around, the environement is very well done. nice vibrant color. In motion, the games needs desperatly some anisotropic and Anti-Aliasing. There is still the PS2 / Jaggies look while driving . I have to say at GT4 defence, that it seems in replay mode, the image is cleaner and does produce some clearner shot

Maybe i have been spoiled with my xbox and used to play in 480p but I though even though the Forza demo used bland washed out color, the image was very clean in motion. When I took some screenshot of Forza in motion , they came out much cleaner then anything I have grab on Ps2.

My setup at home is a Hitachi 51'' HDTV and I'm hookup with S-video Monster cable. I have also a 1000w 6.1 Onkyo Surround Sound System.

6. Sven

Sven

Well...
    ...shows what he knows. GT2 had over 500 cars with performance damage, on the PS1! Also, it depends on what you mean by force feedback. Sure you could make it vibrate, or spring-load it to make it go to center, but we're talking true, realistic force feedback here. Even if they do figure out how to do true force feedback, I don't see them matchin the DFP any time soon.

7. Symtex

Symtex

The xbox needs a real FF wheel like the Logitech Driver pro. Alot of people, including me, as also mention that the demo lack feedback with the car while driving. Many reports over the internet have mention this issue to be much better in recent build.

8. Symtex

Symtex

You are actually right. Xbox does not support natively a real FF input.

9. kinigitt

kinigitt

okay, here's the forza demo in a nutshell:

It's promising. That's about it.

the raw elements are certainly there, but they are not balanced or polished enough to make a good game. They need a better test team or something, because despite an impressive physics engine, the game is just a pain in the ass to control without assists.

Also, the graphics are technically better, but only on paper. When a person looks at both games, anyone with any taste will tell you that the GT series looks much better, and for good reason. Still, the graphics are good, but "good" isn't enough if you want to compete with GT4. One thing I can state in it's favour is the graphics are much cleaner, meaning AA, sharp textures, no blurriness or shimmering. But then again, the framerate is only half of GT's.

Now, the demo is ancient (e3 2004), hardly has any features implemented, and needs a crapload of tweaking to get the "feel" right. But no one can deny the impressive capabilities of the physics engine or A.I., or the accuracy of the track mapping. This game's laguna is far more realistic than GT3's.

As far as engine sounds, this one also takes the cake, as well as tire sounds (GT3's were absolutely horrible). There is no wind noise, and some sound effects sound plain odd. Overall, this game is much better sounding than the GT series, no doubt due to the xbox sound hardware and support of dolby digital. I could really hear cars behind me snorting through the gears from the left side to the right as they tried to pass me.

The scale is heavily tipped in GT4's favour, judging solely by this demo.

10. Symtex

Symtex

I agree an 100% with you. It's a very fair representation of the demo. I think that any racing fan who own both console should get both product.

11. kinigitt

kinigitt

ermmm... GT2 did not have an in-car camera view, and the damage was really inconsequential.

12. Symtex

Symtex

Montrealer know better !!!! (i'm from montreal too ) :tup:

13. Jedi2016

Jedi2016

If you're using S-video, how are you able to use progressive? You need component cables to export a progressive signal, S-video uses an interlaced signal just like the standard composite RCA cable. If it's attempting to export a progressive signal, you'll probably only recieve every other frame, so it'll only run at 30fps instead of the proper 60. Or, it'll wind up looking no different from an interlaced signal.

I'll also throw into the mix that a progressive signal taxes the system much more than an interlaced one. In order to export sixty full frames per second, they have to make sacrifices in performance and/or graphics in order to do it. This is precisely why GT4 doesn't support progressive, because the game wouldn't look near as good as it does now.

14. kinigitt

kinigitt

that's probably why the framerate in Forza in 30fps as opposed to GT's 60.

The xbox natively supports progressive scan, so it doesn't tax the system all that much. It's a decent tradeoff for people with good tv's. Playing GT3 on my 42 inch makes the game less pretty because it magnifies the jaggies and blurry textures.

Still, I wish they didn't have to do that to the framerate.

15. SaintKamus

SaintKamus

forza hard to control with out assissts? come on, i tought it was the oposite, all i ever left on was ABS (can't really get a feel for the brakes with out a pressure system like brakes from real cars, so you gotta have it on!). i tought it was very easy to control, maybe too easy, need to try it out with a wheel...

16. kinigitt

kinigitt

compared to GT3 with a pad, absolutely.

I was talking about all assists off. I hadn't thought of turning the abs back on, but the biggest problem lies with the brakes locking up too easily and sending the weight of the car off balance, meaning you have to drive like a grandma just to get through some turns without hitting the sand. It's a lack of control that is totally counterproductive to fun and fast lap times.

17. T5-R

T5-R

Well I've played the Forza demo & I wasn't impressed either. However dispite its flaws its suprising no one has mentioned one of the coolest things about Forza which GT3/4 don't have, paint damage. Of course this doesn't make it a great game, but its cool none the less & the damage is ok.

Otherwise PGR2 & Sega GT look better & RSC2 poops on both of those graphically.

As for GT3 using 25%, I dunno how many times I've said this before but 'hah' yeah right. Was this device Sonys 'emotion engine' per chance :lol: GT4 doesn't look much better than GT3 fact, GT4s handling isn't vastly different from GT3s either. GT4 does not use 75% more 'power' its simply more optimised & that doesn't mean 75% more optimised ;)

18. kinigitt

kinigitt

it just means they've gotten more efficient at coding for a system. They're more familiar with the boundaries and quirks of the platform, therefore they can get better results. There is no magical % that determines how much ressources a game uses.

19. T5-R

T5-R

Erm thats pretty much what I meant, I was referring to Jedis post (#33) mainly (although many people <cough> cobra <cough> have said the same in the past).

20. kinigitt

kinigitt

yeah I didn't mean to quote you.

21. Jedi2016

Jedi2016

Are you sure we're talking about the same game here? I've got one of the demos downstairs, and the only real similarity I've seen is the menu music and race start/finish music.

22. T5-R

T5-R

GT3 is still a pretty nice looking game, GT4 is simply a bit more polished with more effort put into the tracks & lighting. There isn't much real difference atleast in my opinon. Theres even less of a difference if you compare it to GTC.

Also I'm getting pretty sick of the old menu music :lol:

23. cobragt

cobragt

Maybe detail wise, gt4 hasn't changed much from gt3 but in lighting and color, gt4 is a nice leap from gt3. Gt4 simply looks Soo much more realistic than gt3. btw, t5, your ava is just wrong :lol:

24. T5-R

T5-R

Wrong as in (I think) its the first non-Volvo related avatar I've had? ;)

25. McLaren

McLaren Premium

SOME of that is just your crap.

GT3 never had a REAL sand sound to it either. IN fact, when I play, there hardly is a sound. Just a car going over sand. Forza's sounds are superior to GT3.
    And its a tie? BS again. Forza's cars are perfectly matched. The Toyota GT-ONE sounds like it should in Forza unlike GT3 where it makes its "so called" racing noise. And in GT3, when the cars are still, they hardly make a sound exept when reving. At least in Forza, when they're still, the engine is sounding like it should.

1st part is also bull. That is YOUR Opinion. Some people are fine with that. That is a downfall for some people. FYI, some may not like GT3's set-up, so don't count that as a real downfall of the game.

Body Roll is better in GT3? Don't make me laugh. IT would seem, Forza would do this better. GT3 cars don't lean around a corner at high speeds, unlike Forza. At least the Impreza and Lancer start to roll to one side.

OH and your lap times. Uncomparible. Why?
    GT3 features the old set-up of Laguna Seca. How can you tell? B/c the big way to gain time over Forza is that hill and turn after it. The hill part is basically a straighline through the turns, and the turn afterwards you just let off the gas, or gas it.

Forza's featuring of the NEW Laguna Seca is different and harder. The hill part is not straight, so the S-turn acts more like a S-turn. Next turn is wider out, and requires braking of any car.

Think about some things.

26. Dev_Zero

Dev_Zero

You seem to be misinformed. Some time ago PD released info about the fact that GT4 would indeed support progressive scan and Dolby Digital/DTS. Some of the Forum goeroes can probably enlighten you more on this.

27. kinigitt

kinigitt

They can't support dolby digital within gameplay. Sorry bud. PS2 is incapable of supporting digital outside of cutscenes. They do, however support Dolby Pro Logic II, a decent alternative to true digital sound. The channel separation is nowhere near as good, but it can simulate surround sound.

They also dropped progressive scan, because they had to sacrifice too much for it.

Even without progressive scan, it's still a much better looking game.

28. spawn9999999

spawn9999999

Laguna Seca in GT3 is not different than in Forza. The ownership of the track changed, but the track was never remodelled. The last remodel was in 1994-1995. The lap times are definetly comparable.

29. McLaren

McLaren Premium

The S-Turn in GT3 is nowhere like one. IT is one, but you can easily go trough it on a straightline.

You can't do it the same way in Forza.

30. spawn9999999

spawn9999999

Ok, then they are modelled differently. But there was no remodel. The same track is in each game, just modelled differently.