Played Forza demo, was not impressed

McLaren F1GTR
AND being that is remodelled, that can also put different lap times.

more importantly, it is more accurately modelled. You can't take the same lines or use the same techniques as in GT3. You'll go nowhere fast.

Then again, your slower times could just be due to the wonky controls.

edit: not your lap times mclaren, I meant the other guy.

Well, we could just wait until GT4 comes out, which has also been remodeled more accurately than GT2/3.

And Kinigitt is right. PS2 can't do Dolby Digital in-game. It can do it in movies and cutscenes, but it lacks the ability to do real-time encoding of DD 5.1. I also recall no release saying that it would support progressive scan.. if they said it, it was no doubt a looooong time ago. KY himself was asked this at TGS, I believe, and he said in no uncertain terms that GT4 would not support progressive, because of the graphical sacrifices they would have needed to make. And I'd rather have 60i than 30p.

I thought it was ok. 👍

It won't hold up to GT4 what so ever, but I enjoyed the demo, cars felt powerful, handling was pretty good, and the cars sounded roar(pun). My main gripe was frame rate problems. What it needs is an UBER polish.

code_kev
I thought it was ok. 👍

It won't hold up to GT4 what so ever, but I enjoyed the demo, cars felt powerful, handling was pretty good, and the cars sounded roar(pun). My main gripe was frame rate problems. What it needs is an UBER polish.

That uber polish come's with time, thing with GT is they have had 4 attempts with there game and have 'unlimited' stock and resources to fall back on where the Forza team this is there first attempt.

evolutionmb
2) Physics/Gameplay = Forza so far has no duel analog sticks for gas/brake. Players have to use the trigger buttons to go-stop and that hurts my hands after a couple of laps, so the advantage goes to GT3 as far as utilizing the basic controller set-up. Forza also lacks in the department of car Physics with the Xbox controller. This is my biggest pet-peve in a racing game. The initial turn-in for Forza is WAY too strong, as your car will slowdown significantly from just a small analog adjustment. I had to countersteer often to have my car go in a straight line after I made a directional change, which slows you down significantly for lap times. Sega GT has the exact same problem, as well as any F-1 racing games on Xbox. GT3 controlls let you feather the analog sticks for precise movements, and feel superior in all respects IMO.

Really i think you went into the demo wanting to hate it. None of your points are vaild.

For a start I could not care less about the graphics so I skipped all you wrote about that. As far as using the triggers are concerned, I think most informed gamers are in agreement that triggers are better than analogue sticks. I know I used a dual analogue setup for years then turned to tirggers with the DC and xbox and I really dont want to go back. They offer great response (IMO they give more percise control than the Dual Shock) and and dispite your remarks are quite confortable to use.

As for your not being able to keep the car in a straight line, it simply means you need a little more practice. You are used to another driving model and need time to adjust. But ofcourse this game not having a GT logo you wont give it that time.

I do think GT4 is going to have a more realistic driving model and for me that means GT4 will be the better game. However I am looking forward to Forza more simply because I will be able to do some real racing with it on Live. And while I have a huge grin on my face racing white nuckled against real opponents do you think I will care if the graphics have that xbox look or that in a few months time GT4 will be out with a better driving model? No I won't. I'll be having too much fun.

In actuality ^^^^^^ I didn't go into the demo to hate it, so you got the Wrong impression about me. I buy most racing games for both systems, or atleast give them a try at my local EBGames. As far as being a "Misinformed" gamer, I probably have been playing games longer than you have been alive, so that was an incorrect assumption, and you know what they say about assuming :)
Graphics are a huge part of racing games, as they convey a greater sense of realism and speed, so I really don't understand that statement you made. Car physics are extremely important if you are trying to create a simulation, and I felt that the demo did not do a very good job of conveying that sensation to me, to each his own. PLay Gran Prix Legends if you want a real sense of car physics, and you will know what I mean.

You also have to remember where our "dislike" is aimed. I don't think any of us are saying that Forza won't be a good racing game on it's own. Our criticism is aimed at the people that think that Forza is a "GT Killer" and will be far and above Gran Turismo. Judging from this demo, I don't think that's going to be the case.

Hahahahahahaha!!! Forza sucks!!! :D

Oh wait... i haven't played it so i can't judge it yet. Carry on. ;)

Symtex
I agree but GT4 use the same graphics engine has GT3. Physics is something else. The Forza demo was bland and wash out color. no one can denies that. Will the final build look the same : i doubt but we will have to wait and see.

Actually GT4 uses an entirely new rendering engine, far more advanced than GT3.

I haven't played the Forza demo but I trust kinigitt & code_kev's review. Forza is leaving an impression though cause GT is changing because of it. If there was no competition PD would not go as far as they are going. Both games will be good when they come out cause they are trying to out-do each other...good for us 👍

nasanu
Really i think you went into the demo wanting to hate it. None of your points are vaild.

For a start I could not care less about the graphics so I skipped all you wrote about that. As far as using the triggers are concerned, I think most informed gamers are in agreement that triggers are better than analogue sticks. I know I used a dual analogue setup for years then turned to tirggers with the DC and xbox and I really dont want to go back. They offer great response (IMO they give more percise control than the Dual Shock) and and dispite your remarks are quite confortable to use.

I also find controlling acceleration and braking with the triggers uncomfortable. He's not making that up. It hurts my knuckles after a while.

Still can't wait to pick up the Forza demo. Will do so as soon as I see it in a store that I'm at.

Jedi2016
I agree.. there are too many differences. The assumption that it uses the same graphics engine is probably because they look so similar. GT3 looked quite amazing, still one of the best-looking games on the PS2. Just because GT4 uses a new graphics engine doesn't mean it's going to look drastically different. There are plenty of examples out there.. games from different developers using entirely different technologies and engines, yet the games end up looking very similar. Happens all the time.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think it was built on top of the GT3 engine, or to put it another way built on the GTC engine. GTC had a few extra graphical features, but also had simmilar slowdowns, just like GT4P. Also the first game that featured the Tskuba circuit wasn't the first E3 demo of GT4, nor was it GT4P, it was actually a demo made for the WV Lupo cup championship in japan. They used the title screen from GTC at the time, but the screenshots looked exactly like the ones in GT4P. This was a fair few months before any actual screens of GT4 appeared.
So it was either a major overhall from GT3/C, or they had the E3 engine ready waay before it was ever shown to the public.

Eh, both seem plausible.

Is the Forza demo even out yet in Europe????????????????////

Well, the core graphics engine has to be one of the first things completed, otherwise they don't know how to make the rest of the game fit into it. I imagine the core of it was finished long before any demo ever made it to public eyes.

:sly: <having played the Forza demo, the unique species known as jjboi stands in awe. Never before has the subject played such a kick-ass car game demo. Subject wishes for final version of game to improve upon demo's flaws and be really, really good. Subject now go stupid> :sly:

McLarenF1GTR
Each of these contains about 50 levels, And these are at LEAST 3 races per level. So be prepared to have some time and fun with this game.
Do I have the wrong Forza demo?!! It only lets me play 1 track with only a few cars. Thats all nothing else to do.
f2-DEMO1.jpg

cb-DEMO2.jpg

Aww if I had know that I would have saved my money. I am not impressed at all with the demo. I sure hope the real game is a heck of a lot better.

evolutionmb
I probably have been playing games longer than you have been alive, so that was an incorrect assumption, and you know what they say about assuming :)
Graphics are a huge part of racing games, as they convey a greater sense of realism and speed, so I really don't understand that statement you made. Car physics are extremely important if you are trying to create a simulation, and I felt that the demo did not do a very good job of conveying that sensation to me, to each his own. PLay Gran Prix Legends if you want a real sense of car physics, and you will know what I mean.

Who is assuming? You are quite arrogant. I doubt you have been playing games for 25 years, but even if you are over the hill 3D sim racers have not been out that long so you would have expereince over no one. Graphics are not about creating a sence of speed unless you are playing ourtrun. A sim racer should look slow with a narror view out of the screen because it looks very slow in real life if you can only see the road ahead and nothing else. Idiots can complain all they want that its too slow, they only prove the correctness of the label I have given them.

And yes like everyone else I own the dated GPL and live for speed if you want to mention that one too.. Throw in GTR and rFactor while you are at it. So what? I don't believe I said much at all about physics, but there you go assuming again.

CAMAROBOY69
Aww if I had know that I would have saved my money. I am not impressed at all with the demo. I sure hope the real game is a heck of a lot better.

Is the size of the demo your not impressed with or other things?

VIPERGTSR01
Is the size of the demo your not impressed with or other things?
Not just the size. The feel of the game when entering a corner is very uncomfortable and not fun at all. It doesnt feel real. Its like the cars are floating and when you enter a corner you really really have to be off the brakes to the point of not being realistic. It did help a little taking off the ABS and the other items but still. I personally thing TOca 2 had a lot better feel of realism than this one. But like I said in my review, this is only the demo and a sad one at that. It was like the car was on ice or a gravel road. Thats about the easiest way I can explain it.
I posted my review of the demo over my review of Forza Demo

nasanu
Who is assuming? You are quite arrogant. I doubt you have been playing games for 25 years, but even if you are over the hill 3D sim racers have not been out that long so you would have expereince over no one. Graphics are not about creating a sence of speed unless you are playing ourtrun. A sim racer should look slow with a narror view out of the screen because it looks very slow in real life if you can only see the road ahead and nothing else. Idiots can complain all they want that its too slow, they only prove the correctness of the label I have given them.

And yes like everyone else I own the dated GPL and live for speed if you want to mention that one too.. Throw in GTR and rFactor while you are at it. So what? I don't believe I said much at all about physics, but there you go assuming again.

:sly: that's tellin' it to 'em!!!!! :sly:

nasanu

LFS had terrible graphics, yet succeeded as a sim racer. Add that one to the pile.

Jedi2016
That's the wonderful thing about GT.. we don't have to defend it. The Toyota demo is six months old.. I think the BMW demo is right around that age, too. Yet they're both far superior to Forza in both graphics and gameplay.

Correct 👍 👍

Front
That uber polish come's with time, thing with GT is they have had 4 attempts with there game and have 'unlimited' stock and resources to fall back on where the Forza team this is there first attempt.

so wot if there have been more gt games? gt4 is still better, so are you saying we shoud buy forza because we feel sorry for it there only being one??

this argument is rubbish and is by no means an excuse for making a worse game than gt3/4, a game on a aging platform.
and..
Q. would gt be better on an xbox? A. no.

Well I was reading over a section comparing forza to GT3. All i've got to say is i've yet to see a wheel pop through the fender in forza, can't say that for GT3.
Second i've seen the dirt be kicked up in GT4, those randomly decided puffs of shape that magically cut through the car then fade at the same point. Even on the forza DEMO it was granular not "dust"

Back