Playing GT1 on PS2

Hi everyone,

I have been busy for more than a year with GT4 but I suddenly got nostalgic and wanted to experience GT1 again.

So I inserted my old memory card and beautiful GT1 cd-rom into my PS2 (It would be a hassle to setup the PS1 when the PS2 was already there) and ran with my trusty orange NSX Type-S on the fabulous "Normal series"...
I was expecting a good game experience but the graphics are horrible and worse, much worse, the game is very jerky, not fluid at all!
I hadn't tried a PS1 game on the PS2 before but I was expecting a lot more than this...

Has anyone tried GT1 on the PS2? How would you describe your experience?

I guess I will have to hook the PS1 again...

Yeah, I also noticed that the graphics seem bad, but then again it might be the same on the ps1. I think it might be that I'm used to GT4 graphics, but there could be alternate explanations. I'm not one who would know.

Hey I've been going from GT3 back to GT2 quite a lot, grainy graphix are not as much of a shock for me. I can see where you're coming from, though.

Last edited:
MINICOOPER120
Yeah, I also noticed that the graphics seem bad, but then again it might be the same on the ps1. I think it might be that I'm used to GT4 graphics, but there could be alternate explanations. I'm not one who would know.
The graphics seem worse than what I remember but it is the lack of fluidity that ruins it for me.
I'll try with the PS1 and then I will give some feedback.

Today, when I inserted my red PS1 memory card (The one with 30 blocks instead of the usual 15), and played GT1 on my PS2, It looked like I haven't played it in months, so, when I started to play, I raced the Lightweight Car Cup and the FF Cup with my recently purchased Mitsubishi FTO GR tuned to the max, and won those races but, i'm still used to playing GT3 & GT4.

i must say tho, when GT1 and GT2 came out, they were state of the art graphics...and we shouldnt take that for granted. i still pop em in now and again just to play a little.

i miss those days...wait no i dont! bring on GT5!!!

I hooked up my old PS1 today and the game looks much more fluid.
Now I can enjoy it as I used to. :)

No one else noticed a difference between the PS1 and PS2?

I must admit I've noticed occasional slowing of the framerate sometimes when I've raced GT2 on my PS2. This never happened with my PS1 console. It's too minor a problem for me to have 2 consoles sitting around, I mean it doesn't affect my gameplay at all...its just something that happens occasionally.

Last edited:
Did you know that you can uprate the graphics and game load speed with the PS2? Turn the PS2 on but don't load the game, in the options under CD driver you change the settings and then load the game. It makes the graphics look better than the PS and I have never noticed any frame rate slowness whilst playing GT or GT2.

These are not detailled instructions, just from my memory so if you can't find the options let me know and I'll post them later.

TMM
Did you know that you can uprate the graphics and game load speed with the PS2? Turn the PS2 on but don't load the game, in the options under CD driver you change the settings and then load the game. It makes the graphics look better than the PS and I have never noticed any frame rate slowness whilst playing GT or GT2.

These are not detailled instructions, just from my memory so if you can't find the options let me know and I'll post them later.

You got it close enough. I forgot about these controls...maybe I'll switch today and see if I know of any difference.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Yeah, you got it close enough. I forgot about these controls...maybe i'll switch today and see if i know of any difference.

Have you tried it? It certainly makes a difference on my PS2 so it should be the same for everybody else. When I paused a race in GT2 I noticed how well detailled the background was compared to running the on the PS.

I'm racing GT3 now...switched from standard/standard to fast/smooth. Can't say I notice any difference. I remember a year ago I tried the smooth rendering with GT2 and it made smoke look less grainy. It also made the race decals on the cars look a bit different. Not better, just different. I seem to remember they were a little more blurry and less blocky which I liked.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I'm racing GT3 now...switched from standard/standard to fast/smooth. Can't say i notice any difference. I remember a year ago i tried the smooth rendering with gT2 and it made smoke look less grainy. It also made the race decals on the cars look a bit differerent. Not better, just different. I seem to remember they were a little more blurry and less blocky which i liked.

I don't think it has any effect on PS2 games as they were designed to run on the system anyway.

deep dish star
Hi everyone,

I have been busy for more than a year with GT4 but I suddenly got nostalgic and wanted to experience GT1 again.

So I inserted my old memory card and beautiful GT1 cd-rom into my PS2 (It would be a hassle to setup the PS1 when the PS2 was already there)
Your PS1 memory card worked on your PS2?

HYBRIDLVR
Your PS1 memory card worked on your PS2?

They work fine on the PS2.............for PS1 games.

You have to use PS1 memory cards for PS1 games played on the PS2 (god I hope that makes sense).

On the GT and GT2 front I tried them back to back on the PS and PS2 last year as part of a comparison thread I wrote about the whole GTseries, I must admit I did not see any difference at all between using the two systems.

I have also tried the load and graphics options and would agree that they have a minor difference, however IIRC on one of them (can't remember if it was GT or GT2) the graphics option allowed you to see the frame box around trees.

OT - those two option have been known to cause problems with certain games, MGS did not work with the graphic option, it played havoc with the crates in the first level, making a number of them invisiable.

Regards

Scaff

Thanks! I didn't know that the card would work on the PS2, That's great!!! I've always waited for my brother to finish with the PS1 so I could race my GT 1 and 2, We have 3 PS2's just sitting around in the mean time, "DUH HUH?"
Thanks again!

HYBRIDLVR
Thanks! I didn't know that the card would work on the PS2, That's great!!! I've always waited for my brother to finish with the PS1 so I could race my GT 1 and 2, We have 3 PS2's just sitting around in the mean time, "DUH HUH?"
Thanks again!

No problem - just slap 'em in and off you go.

Scaff

Actually, I eject the disc in my PS2, then I change the texture settings to Smooth. One of the few things I notice is the texture lines around some of the bitmaps and sprites. It is hard to model trees in the game, and you'll usually note the edges of the tree sprites. The car textures look slightly better and look smoother.

It's old school with a twist. But I think you should try it out. I'd tell you tell you how to do it, but I forgot.

its funny how i used to play with those crap graphics

but i still cant stop myself from playing GT1 and also i loved how you could racing modify your car....that was kick ass

I sometimes pop in GT2 to bring back some memories, and sometimes I can't even tell what cars I'm racing even if they're 10 feet in front of me! I never remember the graphics like that before. Can anyone try to compare the graphics on the PS1 and PS2?

Actually you could buy the (B-license) Copperhead via Memory-Card Trade, for zero credits.

But then you couldn't sell it. :D (Because of the Cr0 value). So if you filled a garage with 100 Copperheads, you'd be in real trouble! :D

Game Shark codes could make it available for purchase in any of a number of ways.

I think all of them would involve giving it a non-zero value, but I don't recall for sure.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's the zero price which prevents sale.

In the GT1 garage, in a section separate from the car entries, there was actually a record of the base (purchase) price of each car, and I believe setting to non-zero the entry corresponding to a B-license Concept Car would allow you to sell it.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2000-11-01.html

I'm reasonably certain I arranged to "purchase" (e.g. by inserting in used car lots) B-license Concept Cars which then ended up with a non-zero base price, and was able to sell them.

Every other prize car came with Cr20,000 (2,000,000 "yen") filled in for that value. I think the deal which allowed the B-license Concept Car to show up in the Dodge dealership, unavailable for purchase, caused it to have this zero value when you won it.

Yes, I think when I arranged to win alternate prizes from events, if those prizes were used cars, (i.e. cars normally available only as used cars) they had a zero base price and could not be sold either.

You are correct, The "0" Price want let you sale it! When you change the name of any of the "Priceless cars" to that of another, You can do as if they were the car you changed the name to.

Back