Playing GT1 on PS2

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 1' started by deep dish star, May 1, 2006.

1. a6m5

a6m5 Premium

You guys whine about the PS1 graphics, try going back to NES games. Those games looked so much better in my memory. :D As for GT1(or 2, I can't remember), I have a bleemcast disc, which was a swap disc you use with SEGA Dreamcast. It made the graphics much, much better.

This is a very cool information. I had no idea.

2. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

I still think you're getting mixed up with GT2, where the resale price was a strict function of the car model. (So two different instances of the same used car, bought at different prices, still had the same sale value). IIRC.

In GT1 changing the name wouldn't change that other location, which is what affected your sale price.

Maybe I'll find time to experiment. But I'd rather ride my motorsickle.

3. HYBRIDLVR

HYBRIDLVR

My Badd! I thought we were talking about GT2, That's a pretty long Hijack, Thanks for spoiling it :) It could of went on forever...

4. TMM

TMM

The more posts the better...

5. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

FWIW, I did the experiment.

Loaded an old garage with a legitimate B-license gold prize. You are actually able to sell it if you change the base price location to "1", ie. 1 "penny" (or "yen"), i.e. 1/100 of a Cr. I.e. the game detects the zero price before deciding to refuse the purchase; even though the price offered for the Cr0.01 base value is still "Cr0", you are still able to sell it.

Conversely, changing the base price for an arbitrary other car (used the trusty MA70 Supra in slot 1) prevents selling it.

Purchasing can be accomplished by changing to non-zero the location in the in-memory car database which governs the base price of the B-license Concept Car; then you can purchase it from the dealer. Or you can insert it into the used car lots for an arbitrary value, etc.

I never did find the "new car lots" in GT1 (only the "special model" lots). But new car prices seemed to be governed by the base price in the car information data base, in any case. (As were the special models; replacing a special model name (five letter code) with a used car name would not allow you to buy it, since the base price is zero, although you could arrange to purchase prizes that way (except the B-license prize)).

6. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Try going back to Pole Position on the atari 2600 :D

7. poolio

poolio

i was looking at my copy of pole position the other day while i was tidying up thinking 'shall i?..........'

in the end i didn't but i might have a blast tonight now you mentioned it :tup:

8. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Wouldn't it be worth it, Poolio? I would love to go back to Pole Position and Activision's Enduro just for the perspective, but unfortunately i have no idea where my Atari is (packed in a box somewhere..possibly in another state!) and i doubt i have any games.

9. TMM

TMM

Besides the mouse would be dead by now...

10. poolio

poolio

not been on it yet. hope im not disappointed when i do. you know how you sometimes have happy memories of old games then you play them and think 'man, that sucks'

surely that wont happen with dear old pole position.

i got my atari set up in the bedroom much to the annoyance of my fiancee :sly: :tup:

11. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

We got a plug-in TV game at Xmas with Pole Position ("Prepare to qualify..."), Ms. PacMan and other games I can't remember.

Pole Position turned out to be the most playable. The joystick isn't quite "right" for Ms. PacMan. But the read it like a steering wheel for Pole Position, (i.e. you twist the knob rather than leaning the stick), and with extra track knowledge from GT4 I found the game relatively do-able (although I still couldn't find the exact right speed to match the AI for the tight corner).

12. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

Double Post.

13. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

OH..i have NO DOUBT that those games suck!!! But they stil have a place in my heart.... <3

..okay everybody say....awwwwwwww

14. rsmithdrift

rsmithdrift

Thread jack of the year guys. haha.

I actually forgot what the topic was about half way down page 2.

Anyways......How come whenever I play a PS1 game in my PS2 the smoke is black at the end?? And alot more grainy. I've tried the video settings on the ps2 and it doesn't help. Anyone found a cure for that yet??

15. poolio

poolio

you mean tyre smoke?

16. TMM

TMM

I never noticed that problem running GT on the PS2. The tree's got a horizontal line running from the top for the width of said tree but that was the only problem I ever found, and that was minor.

17. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Hey don't be talkin about illegal substances on here now! :O

Naw, i don't know. I've noticed the smooth texture switch changes the quality of the smoke, though. And speaking of quality smoke...uh, brb... :D

18. rsmithdrift

rsmithdrift

LMAO ROTFL :lol: :lol:

My god.......yes, tire smoke......for some reason when your behind a car or in the outside veiw the last few inches of the smoke turn black. It's very odd :odd:

You say you've never seen this........HMMMMMMMMM........I've noticed it on 4 different PS2's........

19. TMM

TMM

Nope never noticed, however I haven't been looking for it or paying attention to the smoke. I might have to check it out sometime.

20. rsmithdrift

rsmithdrift

I changed the PS2 to fast/smooth and GAWD it looks so much cleaner.......but the smoke still turns black at the edges.

I'm kinda starting to like it though.......it's actually a nice little touch.

21. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

I think you've been sPéndînG toO MUhc timë play1ng w1†h those L$Ð settings, buddy

Noaw i'm just joking. I know hwat you're saying, though...i just wouldn't descrivbe it the same..perhaps your TV set is different than mine. PROBABLY your TV set is different than mine...most probably. I mean, let's face it...there's like all kinds of smoke. :) And kind smoke is tha best

22. Rogue Ssv

Rogue Ssv (Banned)

Awwwwwwwwwww!!

23. TMM

TMM

Checked the smoke in GT last night, still white, even the smoke from the ghost car was white, no black edge's.

24. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Okay. Very good, TMM. U can b the ofishal smoke chekeR. AnE1 else need there smoke checkeD? I do. last nite wen i was playin' GT i saw smoke signals on the horeyezon as i raced. if U look out the tunnel in Grand vaLLey, i culd swere sum tribe wuz making smoke. 4:20 y'all! :D Making smok e iz 1 of my favrite aktivitees

..wait, what are we talking about? drrr

Pupik likes this.
  25. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

Hey! We seem to have finished all the chips! Anyone else want to order out for pizza?

26. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Just still waiting for TMM to finish uh..“checking the smoke!” :O

27. superfast

superfast

for the most part, the experience has been just like the ps1 experience, besides running slightly smoother

28. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Hey where in Maryland are you? I'm in Columbia

29. Dropout.

Dropout.

i play gt1 on my ps2 from time to time and it works fine; my gto twinturbo tuned up works like a charm on... ehh... the series with high speed ring, then the test course, then high speed ring backwards... that one. :crazy:

now that's nostalgia! :D

30. TMM

TMM

Consider your smoke checked!!!!