Playing GT1 on PS2

I haven't noticed it in GT, but GT2 seems to have weird looking black-and-white smoke when using the PS2. I think it's because I have "smoothing" on.

I played one race of GT this year, didn't pay any attention to the tire smoke.

Pupik
I haven't noticed it in GT, but GT2 seems to have weird looking black-and-white smoke when using the PS2. I think it's because I have "smoothing" on.

I played one race of GT this year, didn't pay any attention to the tire smoke.

Maybe you can get TMM to check your smoke for you :crazy:

Hi everyone,

I have been busy for more than a year with GT4 but I suddenly got nostalgic and wanted to experience GT1 again.

So I inserted my old memory card and beautiful GT1 cd-rom into my PS2 (It would be a hassle to setup the PS1 when the PS2 was already there) and ran with my trusty orange NSX Type-S on the fabulous "Normal series"...
I was expecting a good game experience but the graphics are horrible and worse, much worse, the game is very jerky, not fluid at all!
I hadn't tried a PS1 game on the PS2 before but I was expecting a lot more than this...

Has anyone tried GT1 on the PS2? How would you describe your experience?

I guess I will have to hook the PS1 again...

There are MANY reasons why PS1 games don't look good on PS2s, here are the main ones:

-DO NOT use the "smooth" option for PS1 games, it'll only reveal bad PS1 graphics.

-Play your PS1 games on small TVs, don't you ever dare try playing PS1 games on HD TVs, the smaller the tv, the better.

-Don't turn the brightness of your tv up too much, as it'll only make "bad graphics" more apparent.

-I've also found out that PS1 games look better on PS1s.

:grumpy: 👍

There are MANY reasons why PS1 games don't look good on PS2s, here are the main ones:

-DO NOT use the "smooth" option for PS1 games, it'll only reveal bad PS1 graphics.

-Play your PS1 games on small TVs, don't you ever dare try playing PS1 games on HD TVs, the smaller the tv, the better.

-Don't turn the brightness of your tv up too much, as it'll only make "bad graphics" more apparent.

-I've also found out that PS1 games look better on PS1s.

:grumpy: 👍

I think the author of this thread (deep dish) is a bit spoiled to say the least. PS1 graphix look horrible compared to PS2 games, and someday PS2 games will look horrible compared to whatever else comes next...and so on.

I totally love my GT1 and 2 on my PS2, I play it on a 20' cheapy color TV with no problems, I understand that GT1 and 2 graphics suck based on todays standards, Who cared when GT1 and GT2 was introduced? I certainly didn't, I couldn't wait to win another race and another car, Sure the game gets better with time, Far as phisics, The game has progressed just fine and is still the top all out tuneing race series out! >>>IMO<<<

(((((My 0.2cts)))))

I totally love my GT1 and 2 on my PS2, I play it on a 20' cheapy color TV with no problems, I understand that GT1 and 2 graphics suck based on todays standards, Who cared when GT1 and GT2 was introduced? I certainly didn't, I couldn't wait to win another race and another car, Sure the game gets better with time, Far as phisics, The game has progressed just fine and is still the top all out tuneing race series out! >>>IMO<<<

(((((My 0.2cts)))))

Your enthusiasm is shared. As we speak, I'm doing the Euro Regionals (GT2) in my pimped AMG E55 Benz. No weight reductions, gold rims from Yokohama. I just kicked some TVR A$$ at Apricot Hill!! :dopey:

Last edited:
The stranges thing about Gran Turismo is, I don't need to have a new car, A used one is fine! For some reason this game has got me feeling I have all the cars I need, LoL!!!_--))

Now I'm doing the Seattle Enduro in the same AMG. Up against the mighty Shelby Series 1, my heavy car is flopping around a lot but I gave it full power (504 hp @ 6,800 rpm) so I'm able to keep up with it!

I realize this is way off topic..but I'm convinced this thread has no topic! It's called "Lol" fer crissakes

Last edited:
Now i'm doing the Seattle Enduro in the same AMG. Up against the mighty Shelby Series 1, my heavy car is flopping around alot but i gave it full power (504 hp @ 6,800 rpm) so i'm able to keep up with it!

I realize this is way off topic..but i'm convinced this thread has no topic! I'ts called "Lol" fer crissakes

no parnelli, that's the other thread

I recently picked up GT for 4 bucks in the used games bin. I have been able to play and do license tests. But, I can't save. We have an old Playstation and an off brand Memory card. The PS2 doesn't seem to recognize the card when fired up without a disk for management purposes. The game works with my madcatz wheel but it's way too sensitive. I see the "digital" light is lit in the wheel. It's easier to play with the DS2. Is it possible to change the driving view to a cockpit view in this game?

Use the browser when the you don't have game booted up. When a memcard appears on the screen it would ask you format the card.

I recently picked up GT for 4 bucks in the used games bin. I have been able to play and do license tests. But, I can't save. We have an old Playstation and an off brand Memory card. The PS2 doesn't seem to recognize the card when fired up without a disk for management purposes. The game works with my madcatz wheel but it's way too sensitive. I see the "digital" light is lit in the wheel. It's easier to play with the DS2. Is it possible to change the driving view to a cockpit view in this game?

Either its the browser thing red70Mach1 pointed out or you need a new (preferably Sony) memory card. I personally haven't tried a wheel yet but I keep hearing the DS2 is better until you get to GT3 & 4.

In GT1, you're limited to the same camera views as in GT2...there is no true cockpit view...just behind the car or no car (what I like to call bumper view.

Last edited:
the game is very jerky, not fluid at all!

I'm willing to bet you have an LCD TV.

Not one of my LCDs would display GT1 OR 2 properly, on any Playstation I had (and I have 5 PS2s and 2 PS1s). Having eliminated the game and the Playstation as causes, I hooked it up to my standard CRT TV and, lo and behold, jerkiness gone.

Okay, the graphics are still pants, but you can't expect miracles...

oooh-oooh! How do I get Bumper View? I missed it in the options menu.

I believe you just push R1 or L1 while you're actually racing. This should scroll between 3 different views...well it depends how you have your dual-shock controller set up.

1. you're following the car closely as you race

2. you're still following but your view is further back

3. you can't see the car you're racing...just whatever is in front of you (bumper view).

Last edited:
I hooked up my old PS1 today and the game looks much more fluid.
Now I can enjoy it as I used to. :)

No one else noticed a difference between the PS1 and PS2?

Until I found this I thought I was the only one. I just recently threw in my GT and GT2 games and my god, I really don't remember it being so bad and choppy. I remember the textures being better and the racing being more fluid. But I was wondering if it was the PS2 or my TV. I don't have a PS1 anymore, and now I've got a 42" HD Plasma, so I really didn't know what was wrong. I first changed my cables from the component HD cables to the old school RCA cables and it got better but it's still horrible. Looks like I'm going to have to go out and get a new PS1. Anyone got a working used one for sale cheap?

What the hell is that?

It's an emulator for playing PlayStation games on your computer; graphics are much better, if you have a computer made in past 5 years, almost PS2-like. A standard PSX or PSOne's graphical abilities are of the same quality as a PC's graphics card manufactured in 1996.

Too much work for me...I haven't tried using an emulator in almost 4 years, though.

Also, you can't use a wheel or your analog controller when you use an emulator, right? I'll take my crappy graphics, it's better than having to use keyboard buttons "sick" oops :ill:

it's the same with all PSOne/Playstation games nowadays, and it will be the same with PS2 games when we have PS3's, we're so used to the excellent graphics of GT4 than when we see GT1, we just think 'oh god thats awful', but if you actually spend a bit of time playing GT1, then you get used to it again. We must remember as well that this is a 9 year old game, so we cant judge it against anything other than games from the same era

I had the same problem GT-Scorpion--}, but I cleaned both the laser and the light refracting lens under it. GT1 now works like a charm! If you need help with cleaning it (if you want to, that is) PM me. 👍

I feel dumb I just played GT 1 on my PS2 and I just realized that you can use your PS1 memory cards on a PS2. Which considering my large collection of cars I was happy.

I know random but I was excited.

I'm not suprised that the graphics were bad, because they are programed into the disk, not the playstation it self. But what does intrest me is why the game was so jerky. I have played it on my PS2 and it performs pretty well. When it lags it does it for a few seconds only on mine, and then does'nt dot it for ages!

I'm not suprised that the graphics were bad, because they are programed into the disk, not the playstation it self. But what does intrest me is why the game was so jerky. I have played it on my PS2 and it performs pretty well. When it lags it does it for a few seconds only on mine, and then does'nt dot it for ages!

I'm not sure but I've noticed something similar: when I played GT2 on the PS1 it ran smoothly. When I switched up to a PS2 slim, I started to notice small lags in the framerate (especially in replays). They weren't large enough to be annoying, but they're definitely there.

Last edited:
Back