Playseat, GTR Simulator, Other?

• Thread starter Dan76
  • 21 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
United States
SouthEast
DanZ-XLR8
GT Acadamy has me lookin' to step it up and get a G27 (have about had it w/ the DS3).

1.The question is what is the best bang for the buck (w/ out totally breaking the bank) for a rig?

2. Does anyone have a GTR Simulator? ...is it any good? (Think I like the over the top bar instead of Playseats between the legs)

3. Either one, Playseat or GTR: are the seats decent that come on these (lower dollar models)?

4. Last one lol. Not sure the Mrs. Will let me spring for any of the above (will find out tomorrow) so, what are some good options?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I realize this may not have been the proper place to post, I did not see the forum you suggested, sorry.

Thanks for the link, very nice lookin rig. Unfortunately they won't have the "Ozone" available till July 1st in the US.

GT Acadamy has me lookin' to step it up and get a G27 (have about had it w/ the DS3).

1.The question is what is the best bang for the buck (w/ out totally breaking the bank) for a rig?

2. Does anyone have a GTR Simulator? ...is it any good? (Think I like the over the top bar instead of Playseats between the legs)

3. Either one, Playseat or GTR: are the seats decent that come on these (lower dollar models)?

4. Last one lol. Not sure the Mrs. Will let me spring for any of the above (will find out tomorrow) so, what are some good options?

Thanks in advance for any info.
I got the gtr simulator and I love it. Only problem was it took 2 months to get here. I was mad pissed. Just got it weds this week. Customer service suck but it is a solid setup. I would buy it again. Plus the g27 mounts perfect with additional hardware.

Build your own! :D There's a build up on the InsideSimRacing YouTube channel from a year or two ago. I did mine for GTA2012 for about $50 in lumber and hardware and ~$150 for the seat from Summit Racing. You could go less on the seat if you have a junkyard nearby or another source.

Surprisingly sturdy and very customizable to your needs. Best place to start in my opinion, assuming you know how to use and have access to a saw and a drill.

EDIT: The build video I referred to:

If you can build your own rig, then I highly recomend it! Much more personal and satisfying to race with your own rig.

If you don`t have the space, or time to build you`re own rig, then I would recomend a Playseat Revolution. I have one myself, and I`m really happy with it. The only thing I don`t like about it, is that I have the seat in "leather" (It`s actually vinyl...) It isn`t the best cover. So if you have decided for a Playseat, I wouldn`t recomend the "Leather". I would say that alcantara is a MUCH better option.

Thanks for the input all! That is pretty much the way I'm going to go...I thought this morning, why put most of my allowance (lol) in the rig when I can fab my own, Probably a plywood / PVC combo...put the cash in the wheel! so, I ordered a T500 today. hope it lives up to the hyp. But hey at least lookin at some of the great lookin' rigs on the market helped give me some pull w/ the wife to raise my allowance. 👍

Thanks for posting the vid. I gotta do some research so I can start on it before the wheel gets here...I need to find a spec sheet for the wheel if possible. I will probably make it adaptable to add a seat later for now it will be adjustable to the car .. Uh I mean couch I'm using now and my sons gaming chair. Couch= F1 style. 👍 (Till later when I have more allowance) :lol:

Thanks again all!! :gtpflag:

Edit: The vid pretty much answers all mounting questions...so no specs needed really. Just build to suit.

Last edited:
Definitely I recommend you to build your own rig. I built mine with pine wood and it's quite solid

DSC_0015.jpg

Solid and smooth lookin', nice work! I like what you did w/ the pedals 👍

Solid is the key factor, I was going to use some PVC to give it a roll bar look. But, realize it's just not going to cut it for stability. Thanks for the pic!

...weather has held me up. I hope to get started on it tomorrow. The wheel is supposed to be here Friday, so I should have enough time, minus paint...which will have to wait.

See the Cockpits... Are they worth it? Thread. to get started.

Post your gt5 set up and man cave thread is another good resource.

There is also this stickied thread:

Wheel Stands, Racing Rigs Cockpits, Pedals, Wheels. Master List

All are in the hardware section, and where this thread should be.

I have the GTR seat as well (GTA model), very pleased with it for the price! :)

Thanks again everybody for the input. Got the wheel Friday. Quick built a stand tweaked it Saturday and am very pleased w/ the results. My cost for the stand is awesome cause I had everything but Metric bolts to mount the wheel. Hard to beat a buck 40 for a cool stand...where I can prop my feet up, grab the wheel and go. I have just enough leg clearance under the wheel/base that I don't hit my knees. With a 2x4 extended under the couch, wrapped in a towel, wedges it in place so it doesn't rock back and forth at all 👍

Progress has been decent getting use to The new wheel. The funny but good thing too kinda, is the areas I was struggling w/ the DS3, Is smoother and I'm hitting my marks better with the wheel (not perfect but better). The biggest struggle (w/ the wheel) so far with the Leaf at Brands Hatch is Druids...need lots of practice.

Thought I'd share some pics :gtpflag:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Thought I would update the progress of the home grown sim rig. Got booted out of the LR, hence off the couch. So, I played it well. ;) "The stand was built for the couch." Wife said, "go buy a love seat." I thought, ok I'll go price a love seat so I'll know my allowance for a race seat. Next day, off to Summit for a Sparco Race seat. :cheers:

Pretty much left the rig as it was and just added rails to mount the seat on. Will finalize the rear hight when set on the right angle...right now it's fully adjustable. :gtpflag:

image.jpg

Nice work. Can't beat a home grown rig!

Here's mine:

image.jpg

image.jpg

The pedals usually sit all the way to the back of the tilted panel, and the towel is to stop the ball of my braking foot bruising :gtpflag:

Didn't cost me a penny. The seat came from a car I parted out for the engine, and the wood was laying around.

Thanks!! Yeah no doubt, fab to preference, low to no cost for the materials, the way to go! 👍

Nice rig, great idea for the monitor, awesome seat for no cost! 👍 I was actually going to hit some junk yards to try and find a seat but they were all closed before I got around to it...to antsy to wait till the following Monday :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back