PlayStation 2 Turns 20 Years Old Today

PS2 gave us some of the best games of all time. Burnout Revenge, GT4 and GTA San Andreas are my biggest standouts.

PS2 was also where I ended up starting in GT as well as learning driving on a wheel for the first time. My old Williams F1 wheel was :drool:.

How fast has time flown? Hard to believe the PlayStation 2 is 20. Good grief! I still remember 2001 or so when I got a PlayStation 2 for Christmas along with "Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec" and a very rumble-happy PS2 controller. Even a lot of the older PS2 games still look good even today. I built up a fairly good PS2 library between myself and my brother. Some of the most underrated racing games I've ever played are all PS2 exclusives- "Enthusia Professional Racing," "Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2," and "Suzuki TT Superbikes: Real Road Racing Championship." I also enjoyed just about every Grand Theft Auto released in the PS2/Gamecube/XBOX era. Afterwards, I just couldn't get myself to enjoy or love the series GTA4 and after.

Anyhow... happy birthday and thanks for the memories, PlayStation 2!

Until today I have my Slim SCPH-77001 since 2007, I just needed to change the console reader, and it works today, but one day I want to purchase the first FAT version to add to my collection. Oh good times when I started playing Gran Turismo 4 which was one of the first games I played.

Bought mine for and with GT3 and because I had some extra cash I grabbed a second game. I had never heared of it before, but the cover looked cool.

It was GTA 3.

The rest is ****ing histoy.

Probably the most unreliable hardware with the best library. I think GT3 will be forever my "next gen" moment. I will never forget the first time I saw GT3 in a shop. I hope Poly will find again that magic.

Im no longer a sony guy but when i was it was PS2 all day. I had probably at least 100 games at one point as a teenager. Those were fun times and i would own one again one day.

That was my first Playstation that make me enter in the console world.
It was very advanced for the time and i still remember myself to enjoy the graphics and the quality of PS2!!!!
Good memories

Wow, 155 million units, that's impressive. It was an excellent console, but at the same time the early 2000's until 2010 was the best gaming era IMO. Nowadays games have become too complex graphics and gameplay wise that they aren't as fun as they used to be. Sometimes simplicity has an irresistible charm in it. I don't care about micron accuracy laser scanned vehicles and tracks, as long as the game is fun. Sadly most developers out there care about graphics and treat gameplay as something secondary.

Still owned one, 17 years old fat console.

The inside got come up short on the 16th year. But it's fixable and now running as for now.

Proud owner of all PS line! (sadly PSOne already been sold like 10 years ago).

Bought mine for and with GT3 and because I had some extra cash I grabbed a second game. I had never heared of it before, but the cover looked cool.

It was GTA 3.

The rest is ****ing histoy.
Pretty much the same with me. Even if neither game really pushed the system to its limits it was still amazing to see just how much of a jump forward everything looked from the previous generation.

Though what really makes me remember it fondly is that the PS2 was the first console that I would take travelling with me, as I had a big bulky laptop case made for big bulky mid-'90s laptops, and the old fat PS2 fit quite comfortably into it with room for both controllers and about six game cases. Eventually I even got ahold of an LCD travel screen that attached to the top of it, and even though the screen's display quality was fairly terrible I still had a portable console some 15 years before the Switch made the idea mainstream. Okay sure, so it needed to be plugged into a wall outlet and sit on a table, but still!

I remember it as the single greatest console ever. Tekken Tag Tournent, Timesplitters, Gt3, SSX3, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Gt4 and so on and on.

I do remember in The Netherlands it was a lot more expensive then in the US. But it was definetively worth it.

I installed PCSX2 and golded all the licenses in GT4. So damn impressive and fun game for its time. I might be doing GT3 and GT2 next :)

PS: I just tested Enthusia (never played it before) and I'm absolutely blown by the physics. Lift off oversteer, drifts, the weight: It feels like Assetto Corsa light

I remember it well..

If the playstation 5 is around this price, what a bargain it will be..

full

Little late, but HBD PS2!!

Still have my original FAT PS2 that I sat in line for at Walmart on release day, also have a slim.
Sooo many great games, two of my favs (and not inclusive, have A LOT of favs on PS2)

World of Outlaws Sprint Cars

hqdefault.jpg

Nascar: Dirt to Daytona

91fF9UJszmL._SY445_.jpg

Still play both these gems every once in awhile. 👍

By far the best console ever in my opinion.

GT3 &4
MGS 2&3
NFS Underground 1 & 2
GTA 3, Vice city and SA
PES 4,5,6
Tony hawk games
The getaway.

I am sure theres many more I have forgotten too,the graphical jump from ps1 to ps2 we will never see again, not to mention the beginning of true open world games.

Still have my ps2 in the loft somewhere...

I think a lot of us have forgotten some of the very old PS2 games. I knew I wanted "Ridge Racer V" and "Le Mans 24 Hours" in the past (not regretting getting any game). How many of you remember old titles like... Oni? Fantavisision? There's been a LOT of gaming with the PlayStation 2. Even games that didn't rely on multiplayer to be good was a great time in the PS2/Gamecube/XBOX/Dreamcast generation. I'm only going to get rid of my PS2 if and when it no longer works. Otherwise, I'll want to maybe add to my PS2 collection if I could. Actually, I was thinking of maybe getting games like "Total Immersion Racing" and "R: Racing Evolution." Not too many non-racing or non-sports games come to mind for me that I want to play or play again.

Back