Sony's PlayStation is 25 Years Old Today

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by GTPNewsWire, Dec 3, 2019.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

AlexDB9, Nexus, MMX and 2 others like this.
  2. Famine

Famine Administrator

I have others in the attic (and my wife is using the PS3 SuperSlim for Netflix), those were just the consoles I could quickly lay my hands on...

3. XJ40

XJ40

I still remember getting one for Christmas and playing F1 '95 first. Spa in the Sauber, ah the memories...

4. Nuschel01

Nuschel01

I wonder if they‘ll release a special XMB (or whatever it‘s called now) design again, I still got the 15th on my PS3 and the 20th on the PS4 :lol:

Also I really hope for other content celebrating it to arrive :dopey:

Interstellar9 likes this.
  5. Canucks_9419

Canucks_9419

Will always remember running the Laguna Seca Corkscrew License test in GT2 a few hundred times at the age of 8 or 9. A close second memory will always be playing the first Jak & Daxter on Boxing day one Christmas. Great times

Jordan, Castrol96 and theschledy like this.
  6. BadFlounder

BadFlounder

GT3 on PS2 was my first love. That game was the first racing game that truly hooked me. Still my favorite GT of all time and the PS2 was brilliant.

7. theschledy

theschledy

I've been meaning to dig up my PS2. So many classics come to mind:

GT3
    GT4
    Madden 04
    GTA 3
    Final Fantasy 10
    Onimusha (all of them)
    Need for Speed Underground (1&2)

I can only imagine how many 100s of hours were spent on the above games.

8. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

I think it was F1 '97 for me. The one that got pulled from sale for contractual reasons. I was going to get a PS1 along with that game as they were giving one free game of your choice away with the system. I waited until it was available again, which was lucky, Sony had introduced the value pack with an extra pad and memory card included. I still had to buy a scart lead though, my Sega Saturn had come with one, and I also picked up the first analogue pad that had been released by then.

XJ40 likes this.
  9. PSN:And-War

PSN:And-War

Any freebies for Playstations birthday?

theschledy likes this.
  10. theschledy

theschledy

Hopefully. They still have the black Friday sale on the website. Fingers crossed that gets updated later

PSN:And-War likes this.
  11. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

I can still remember being blown away by Wipeout on launch day. It was the first thing I bought with my Student Loan money for that year!

imported_rik19 and AlexDB9 like this.
  12. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

Me too. I remember being disappointed that the F1 game that I got with the console looked like a crappy knock-off (with a made-up car on the front) only to be delighted to find that it was actually an officially licensed product, with all the real teams, drivers, tracks and - above all else - Murray Walker commentary. I don't think my thumbs have ever forgotten this terrible great day.

Gran Turismo, WipEout, Crash Bandicoot and FF7 were all to follow... and the Playstation has been a cut above the rest ever since.

klondike and XJ40 like this.
  13. Zipperface

Zipperface

Happy Birthday Playstation :)
    I can remember buying printmagazines with newest demo disk!
    25years.... oh dear.
    Life is sooo short.

Cytoria, Billybops and VXR like this.
  14. Chikane

Chikane

Still have my ps2, ps3, ps4 and can wait for the ps5.

I don't have a ps1 but the ps2 is the ps1 so is cool.

:)

15. EngieDiesel

EngieDiesel

Nostalgia.mp4

First console I ever bought with my own money. Twisted Metal 2 and GT were pretty much my entire life for that summer. It's funny how despite the graphics looking so horribly primitive now, they still have nostalgic charm to them.

AlexDB9, dlshearon and PSN:And-War like this.
  16. Bloodytears

Bloodytears

Damn, Playstation one was a great start for me. When I had console in 1999, it has never been sold officially in my county, it was already chipped, and only games you could find here are cheap CD-R discs with printed on cheap printer covers. This console with it's great line up made my tastes to everything, music, art, overall vision, and course love of cars, which were rare here too in those times. Thanks to Need For Speed 4 I found my all time loved Porsche to drive and still in this legacy just dreaming if not have, just to ride one once. Plus Playstation helped me to learn English and now here to have great fellas:). If not Playstation, I couldn't imagine myself in this world, imo, for me it's just much more than gaming device, it's a great window to see and greatest way to know the entire world.

I have Playstation 1, PSone, Playstation 3, Playstation 3 Slim, Playstation 4 slim and Vita currently. Pretty sad to loose Playstation 2 on the way to its day. I wish to Sony very best, hope they continue to bring entertainment, joy and exploration on the same level till end of times. They are the best, this no doubt.

AlexDB9 and klondike like this.
  17. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Whoo, time flies. Remember getting the PlayStation around 1997 (I think?) and while I can't remember what was the first game of all the ones I played on it, I do fondly remember "PlayStation Underground" for its magazines and many Demo discs (Which I still have). This is the one I remember the most:

[​IMG]

Pure and simple: THIS right here is what introduced me to Gran Turismo AND Tekken, both having been part of my gaming library since then.

AlexDB9, PSN:And-War and MMX like this.
  18. Slapped

Slapped Premium

God I feel old now as I was 26 when I handed over my Barclaycard for a PS1 complete with Ridge Race and Battle Arena Toshinden.

Came to a total £420 - bloody expensive at the time, which means consoles and games have got a lot cheaper when inflation is taken into account.

Lasted me nearly 9 years before I bought into the PS2, and then I got it only because of GT4.

Skipped the PS3, and then finally early last year I bought a PS4 because of GTS

Yep, the Playstation has been a fun reoccurring part of my life.

19. MMX

MMX Premium

I probably still have my copy as well, along with a few others. Always looked forward to new demo discs.

Still have all my PS1, 2, 3, and 4 games I ever bought, along with the consoles, except the first one unfortunately.

Cytoria and PSN:And-War like this.
  20. IfAndOr

IfAndOr Premium

I'm not sure what they'll look like but I'm sure your ceiling will have collapsed from all the weight of the various PlayStation paraphernalia in the attic by then. :)

Famine likes this.
  21. GTPVenomZombie

GTPVenomZombie

Best memory I have is getting a PSOne for Christmas, and i also got Gran Turismo 1.

I was about 3/4 years old at this point and was already car mad. Use to collect Match box & Hot Wheels toy cars.

So I launched GT1 up, when into the arcade mode, chosen High Speed Ring then I choose the purple R33 Skyline. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing! From such a young age, I could already tell Gran Turismo wasn’t your ordinary racing game. It was something special, and still is.

Nuschel01, Nexus and PSN:And-War like this.
  22. tunaphis

tunaphis

Both divorces the Playstations came with me.
    My mom in crowded game shop, "Your spending $1000 on a toy! ". (PS3)

imported_rik19 likes this.
  23. GTvsForza

GTvsForza Premium

I turn 26 next month and have been a diehard Playstation player. My parents gave me and my brother a PS1 when we were little. Then, we had the PS2 for a very long time (oh, the countless hours...). My dad then got a PS3 for mainly himself, but he let me play GT5 and 6. And finally, I bought my own PS4 for GT Sport and Crash N. Sane Trilogy. Might as well toss in my PSP Go and Vita :)

24. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard

I can't believe I was 30 when the first Playstation was released and my playstation love affair began, I've owned PS1, PS2, (which were both given away to friends in need when I upgraded) and I still have my PS3, PS4, PS4 pro and PSVR. I can't see me changing to any other platform than Playstation unless Sony really drops the ball.

25. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

I had a few games of Formula 1 97 last night and it was curiously realistic. I won in Brazil as Verstappen, I crashed a Ferrari into my teammate, Magnussen was meh, and seeing both Williams do well reminded me of the tennis.

LeGeNd-1, VXR, Wiegert and 2 others like this.
  26. daan

daan Moderator

You're right there, Murray.

35mm, mika haka, SnakeOfBacon and 2 others like this.
  27. AlexDB9

AlexDB9

I missed on PS1 as I was a N64 child, but I did get to play GT2, Syphon Filter, Tekken 3, ISS Pro Evolution and WipEout on it. And I did play Metal Gear Solid on an emulator years later.

Then the PS2 was a revelation as I saw my friend's one and got to play MGS2 with unreal graphics for the time, and PES the first one, oh the sweet memories. We spent many nights playing those two games.

Then I got my own PS2 mainly for the aforementioned PES, the first one, I still have the disk:
    a80fcd7b-1d24-4b05-92a0-9146d0da0c1c.jpg

Then I got involved with my first Gran Turismo, the 4th and being amazed at its vastness and attention to detail. And an ongoing love for Nürburgring Nordschleife.

Other masterpieces followed like God of War 1 and 2, the GTAs, preferably Vice City for the atmosphere and soundtrack. PES 5 and the thoughtfulness needed to score a goal. MGS 2 and 3, Tekken 5, the Call of Duties, Okami, Splinter Cell... and dozens others that I rented.

I missed on the PS3 era as I was busy with college and my newfound love of electric guitar, but some 3 years ago I got me a PS4 mainly for these two titles, that I got with a bundle with the console:
    d1573835-87c5-46e1-aa53-232897d0fbb6.jpg

But my library has since expanded to over 80 games making PS4 both my most played console and an ongoing love affair with its masterpieces.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 2:59 PM
  28. imported_rik19

imported_rik19

Makes me laugh when I see people moan about current console prices or ps5`s suggested price....

Ps1 was expensive back in 94/95..
    This is uk pounds aswell £429.00 back then...

My car i bought only 2 years ago cost less than this...
    playstation price.jpg

29. GTV0819

GTV0819

I still believe the PS1 was a state-of-the-art console back then in the 90s. :cool:

30. 05XR8

05XR8

VXR likes this.