Playstation 3 System Update Thread

A friend of mine messaged me earlier this morning warning me about this, which I appreciate very much. However, I can't seem to connect to Online at the moment, does this have anything to do with fixing what the update caused?

Edit, nevermind, I've just seen a post in the PS3 Discussion thread. PSN is down.

Eks
Looks like I got lucky this time, glad I waited enough for them to pull it back, but sucks for those affected. Does this mean they won't be able to use their PS3s since they can't download the fix update because it's stuck at the boot-up screen?

Edit - Nevermind, forgot about the Safe Mode thing.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago...

No mention of SSDs, so mine stays off for now...yikes.

Jerome

Damn I don't use my PS3 much anymore, but I use it as my blu-ray player. I do have a 500GB HD installed. I would have been pissed off it my PS3 got bricked by a bad update.

WTF are they thinking? I don't understand how a bad firmware update could get through the beta testing phase for such a simple-to-find problem.

Weird my PS Plus froze on me last night. I woke up wondering why my PS3 was on. Couldn't connect a controller, couldn't hold down the button to switch off. Had to hard shutdown at the back. Never done that in the last 8 months, why suddenly after the update bearing in mind I already have 4.45.

Eks
I'm not really understanding what you guys mean by "bricked." What does that mean?

^This. It renders the device un-usable unless a fix is found. Very common in phones, I don't think a "brick" situation for the PS3 has happened before aside from a YLOD.

Bricking was very common with people hacking their PSPs and messing up. Bricking is very uncommon via official means because obviously it's pretty bad.

I have installed the Brick update, I have a 750GB aftermarket drive. As of now, my system is still working but I unplugged it because of the PSN+ 24 hr sync. I was wondering, is it possible to maybe install an old update for the PS3 through recovery or will the PS3 reject it cause its an older version? Thanks in advance guys.

richiem2282
I have installed the Brick update, I have a 750GB aftermarket drive. As of now, my system is still working but I unplugged it because of the PSN+ 24 hr sync. I was wondering, is it possible to maybe install an old update for the PS3 through recovery or will the PS3 reject it cause its an older version? Thanks in advance guys.

If you do downgrade your PS3, you will not be able to get online anymore. Just in case you didn't know.

If your PS3 worked after the update, it should be fine

If you do downgrade your PS3, you will not be able to get online anymore. Just in case you didn't know.

Thanks mate, I actually didn't know that about the online feature, good to know. Still a bit nervous though to try it til the new update comes out, if it bricks can it be fixed without wiping drives etc? I have around 600 GB on the new drive and we all know how much of a pain it is to have to wipe and start over.

Thanks again 👍

Mine isn't! Mines constantly freezing!

40GB Fatty with a 250GB HDD in it.

^This. It renders the device un-usable unless a fix is found. Very common in phones, I don't think a "brick" situation for the PS3 has happened before aside from a YLOD.

Version 2.40 bricked consoles too.Ironically it too was a trophy update.

No surprise, yet another PS3 update that wasn't tested. There have been about 3 majorly messed up ones which have bricked systems including this one and many more minor ones which have had had caused other issues.

I have updated before and have been left without an XMB, it scared the life out of me but luckily a reboot solved the issue. An update also fried my laser only after a few months or real use and even though Sony keep denying it has happened to so many people.

I always wait a few weeks till after a firmware release to update my system because there nearly always is the obligatory X.X1 update which comes days later to fix all the stuff it messed up.

And the biggest joke of all is that these updates mostly do NOTHING! They don't bring anything new, often remove functionality instead and serve no purpose other than to annoy people. Frankly I'm glad the PS3 is coming out soon because hopefully it will mean PS3 updates get less and less.

Download links for all PS3 region FW 4.46 :

ps3-system-update-4-46-live-now-download-links-here/

If your PS3 was broken by updating to 4.45 last week, the following information (from PlayStation) should hopefully see you right.

Step 1: Manually Download System Software

You will need a USB Mass Storage device such as a USB flash drive with at least 168 MB of free space. If your PS3 is either CECHA00/CECHB00 series model, you can also use Memory Stick™, SD Memory Card, and CompactFlash®.
Create a folder named “PS3” on the storage media or USB device.
Within the PS3 folder, create a folder named “UPDATE”.
Using your computer, click the following hyperlink to begin downloading system software 4.46
Download the update data from the webpage and save it in the “UPDATE” folder.
File name: Save as file name “PS3UPDAT.PUP”

Note: If the data is not saved in the correct way, the PS3 will not recognize the update data. The folder name must be in all uppercase letters.

Step 2: Activate Safe Mode

With the PS3 off (power light should be red), touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the 1st beep indicating that the PS3 is powering on.
Continue to hold the power button, and after approximately 5 seconds you will hear a 2nd beep.
Continue to hold the power button and after 5 more seconds you’ll hear a 3rd beep, and system will power off (Power light goes red).
Release power button.
Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the 1st beep, again for PS3 power on.
Continue to hold and after approximately 5 seconds you will hear the 2nd beep for video reset.
Continue to hold and after 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release power button.
If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on screen saying, “Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button”.
Connect a controller to the PS3 with a USB cable.

If you were not able to get into Safe Mode, your system may need service.

Step 3: Manually Update PS3 Software

Connect the storage media to PS3 system.
Select [6 - System Update] and Press X.
Please note: Data and settings may be deleted if you choose any of the first (5) options. Please make sure to only choose option [6 - System Update].
Press Start and Select at the same time.
The PS3 system will restart and recognizes the update file in the storage media.
Press right on the d-pad to scroll through the update description and user agreement.
Press X to confirm the update.
The system will now install the new system software and restart automatically upon completion.

Good luck!

Quoted from Thesixthaxis.com

For affected PS3 owners who don't have their console issues resolved by the latest patch, Sony has posted up an official support page.

PS3 4.45 - 4.46 Update Support Page - SCEA

Wow, do trophy notifications annoy people so much that they had to release an update for it? I like being notified of when I earn a trophy...

Wow, do trophy notifications annoy people so much that they had to release an update for it? I like being notified of when I earn a trophy...

Some people probably get annoyed as for some games the notifications probably cover some important HUD info:tup:

Back