PlayStation 4 General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Sier_Pinski
  • 9,445 comments
[Well I am getting a PS4 for Christmas, the main reason I am buying it currently is because the Wii U has no third party support so I would be losing out in a lot of racing games. Then of course, LittleBigPlanet 3 and Uncharted 4 on the exclusives front are big deals for me. That being said, there's no 'killer app' on the PS4 yet in my opinion.
LOL :D
I'm trying to figure out if a PS4 can be worthy purchase in 2015, but I'm still cautious because I'm not seeing games that make me scream, is thare anything good for you?

[Well I am getting a PS4 for Christmas, the main reason I am buying it currently is because the Wii U has no third party support so I would be losing out in a lot of racing games. Then of course, LittleBigPlanet 3 and Uncharted 4 on the exclusives front are big deals for me. That being said, there's no 'killer app' on the PS4 yet in my opinion.
This year I was planning to buy either a new console or a new pc for new sim racing games, but I found a good deal for a Citroen C4 and I bought the ral car instead. Therefore my videogames budget had some cuts and at this point I think I'll wait the release of pCars. Thanks for your time and happy holidays. :)

LOL :D
I'm trying to figure out if a PS4 can be worthy purchase in 2015, but I'm still cautious because I'm not seeing games that make me scream, is thare anything good for you?
If you are seeing nothing that excites you, then I would say don't do it. I mean I love what I have on the PS4 and am excited for what is coming...but the whole suggestion list thing is so subjective that you might well end up hating some of the proposed games.

EDIT: Ahh, just seen this bit:
I think I'll wait the release of pCars

Makes sense.

For me the PS4 is a huge letdown ok its better specced than a PS3 but it cant do half what the PS3 does cant load photos cant load mps music all the games ive got need internet access and cant play them if not signed into psn cant use my DFGT cant watch pr control movies with playstation remote cant sync blue tooth headsets (no offline ability) You have to buy all new perithial equipment.

Total waste of money

For me the PS4 is a huge letdown ok its better specced than a PS3 but it cant do half what the PS3 does cant load photos cant load mps music all the games ive got need internet access and cant play them if not signed into psn cant use my DFGT cant watch pr control movies with playstation remote cant sync blue tooth headsets (no offline ability) You have to buy all new perithial equipment.

Total waste of money

It's because it's a lot cheaper than the PS3 was at launch. The PS3 was designed to be a media center machine which played everything and stored everything and had a price tag to match.

In a post recession world Sony went back to basics with a barebone gaming system and Xbox has kinda gone to opposite way with a more media orientated system which, after heavy price cut's, actually gives you more functionality for your money on paper.

I would have preferred a more expensive PS4 with more functionality, at least that of the PS3.

It's because it's a lot cheaper than the PS3 was at launch. The PS3 was designed to be a media center machine which played everything and stored everything and had a price tag to match.

In a post recession world Sony went back to basics with a barebone gaming system and Xbox has kinda gone to opposite way with a more media orientated system which, after heavy price cut's, actually gives you more functionality for your money on paper.

I would have preferred a more expensive PS4 with more functionality, at least that of the PS3.

It was sold to me as a media console to replace the PS3 its appalling really having paid 3 times more for the PS4 than I did for my PS3. And I cannot play any games on the PS4 as they all need you to be signed into PSN. Its an absolute bloody disgrace no gaming offline no perithery hardware works its bloody useless.

Why can i sign in to psn on ps3 but not ps4 oh and internet does work as can get online easy enough just cannot sign in to psn for games to run.

It was sold to me as a media console to replace the PS3 its appalling really having paid 3 times more for the PS4 than I did for my PS3. And I cannot play any games on the PS4 as they all need you to be signed into PSN. Its an absolute bloody disgrace no gaming offline no perithery hardware works its bloody useless.

Why can i sign in to psn on ps3 but not ps4 oh and internet does work as can get online easy enough just cannot sign in to psn for games to run.
It depends on the game in question. I know Destiny cannot be played offline but I believe that GTA V can be.

Need for Speed Rivals cannot be played offline. If the said PS isnt a media centre (Sony) then why does it come loaded with Netflix, Amazontv Utube ect ect ect I will tell you why, Its not ready for release yet It should have had all ps3 capabilities at launch not add then as we go on Very much like GT5 and GT6 released to soon.

Well Sony I hope your reading this because im now moving towards PC gaming, Stuff you sony.

Last edited:

There's nothing stopping you from playing offline on the PS4. That games now-a-days seem to always have a day one patch is up to the devs, and has nothing to do with either Sony or MS.

There's nothing stopping you from playing offline on the PS4. That games now-a-days seem to always have a day one patch is up to the devs, and has nothing to do with either Sony or MS.
Game wont load till its signed into psn worked fine before all this **** going on now. The games I have need to be signed in psn. Cannot be played offline, a lot of game are going that way now.

Game wont load till its signed into psn worked fine before all this **** going on now.

What game is it? Some games require constant internet connection in order to function. Destiny and many Ubisoft games are examples of this. Has nothing to do with the PS4.

I've been playing Driveclub a bunch today and yesterday, where the servers were offline.

What game is it? Some games require constant internet connection in order to function. Destiny and many Ubisoft games are examples of this. Has nothing to do with the PS4.

As stated a few posts back Need for speed Rivals is online only As for Driveclub the only offline playing ive already completed so have purchased new DLC packs expanding game but cannot access as needs to be signed into psn for verification or something like that, Its bloody disgusting you pays your money and cannot acces what you have paid for. Like ive said Stuff sony now im going pc in the future.

As stated a few posts back Need for speed Rivals is online only As for Driveclub the only offline playing ive already completed so have purchased new DLC packs expanding game but cannot access as needs to be signed into psn for verification or something like that, Its bloody disgusting you pays your money and cannot acces what you have paid for. Like ive said Stuff sony now im going pc in the future.
Sony has been attacked over Christmas, hence why you cannot get online with them - not their fault but the idiots pretending to make a point.

Okay, some games require an online presence, as has been said: pretty much all of mine on the PS4 though, don't.

Well obviously you need to authenticate the DLC stuff when buying it for the first time. I bought the season pass for Driveclub yesterday morning, and I could use it fine today. After the one time authentication of the DLC, you can use it regardless of whether you are online or not. There are, however, a few cars in the original game that require you to obtain certain club levels, which means you'll need to be online to get them.

For the record. I completely agree with you that no game that has single player should require any kind of constant, or even a one-time only, internet connection. It's pointless, and doesn't do consumers any good. But it goes without saying that DLC will need a one-time authentification check.

So far, I find my PS4 a decent console. I bought it to fill in the gaps that my other consoles can't fill, so sport games and racing games. The games I've played so far have been pretty good but having went to GAME today nothing took my fancy at all. I got: LBP3, NHL15, PES2015, Driveclub and GTAV. None have blew my mind(graphically or otherwise aside from DC's weather) but it's still early in the console's life-cycle. Not being able to play online has been a bummer but it hasnt hindered my experience TOO much aside from realizing how much, hilariously so, modern gaming relies on patches as just about every game I've played has had a glitch of some sort.

So far, I find my PS4 a decent console. I bought it to fill in the gaps that my other consoles can't fill, so sport games and racing games. The games I've played so far have been pretty good but having went to GAME today nothing took my fancy at all. I got: LBP3, NHL15, PES2015, Driveclub and GTAV. None have blew my mind(graphically or otherwise aside from DC's weather) but it's still early in the console's life-cycle. Not being able to play online has been a bummer but it hasnt hindered my experience TOO much aside from realizing how much, hilariously so, modern gaming relies on patches as just about every game I've played has had a glitch of some sort.

You got PES over fifa, c'mon B :lol: .also I do agree how annoying it is that almost every time I try to play a game I get a gigantic patch to download first. But to be honest I'm pretty happy with my PS4 purchase so far, gone digital on a few games for the first time and been playing some brilliant PSN titles.

2015 though is going to kick my wallet in the nuts.

You got PES over fifa, c'mon B :lol: .
PES2015 is this year's footy champion, just check out the reviews (yes i also bought it :-P)

As for this always online, can someone be clear about this is it just to download necessary updates at first, or do some games just not play at all when you aren't signed into PSN? Bloody hell you pay for a game and as soon as PSN is down it's rendered useless? If thats true it's another negative point apart from the lesser functionality.

PES2015 serves as an example actually, you can download the kits and emblems on your pc and then upload them to the game via a USB stick, apparently you can't do that with the PS4 neither. And no personal music, picture or movie library neither is that correct?

As for this always online, can someone be clear about this is it just to download necessary updates at first, or do some games just not play at all when you aren't signed into PSN? Bloody hell you pay for a game and as soon as PSN is down it's rendered useless? If thats true it's another negative point apart from the lesser functionality.

PES2015 serves as an example actually, you can download the kits and emblems on your pc and then upload them to the game via a USB stick, apparently you can't do that with the PS4 neither. And no personal music, picture or movie library neither is that correct?

Some publishers require their games to constantly be online as a DRM meassure (although some will give you a BS excuse, like EA did with SimCity). Most games today have a day-one update, but I've yet to hear of any that outright required the update for the game to function (aside from game breaking bugs). But if you're online, you'll have to download and install the updates before playing.

This is in no way a console exclusive thing (it started on PC before it came about on consoles). Most, if not all current Ubisoft games on the PC require constant internet connection for their precious UPlay. Welcome to gaming 2014. It sucks. But all the people that buy games requiring constant internet connection are just as much to blaim as the devs and publishers.

For the record. It goes without saying that games that don't actually have single player content is excused for having an online requirement ;)

PES2015 is this year's footy champion, just check out the reviews (yes i also bought it :-P)

Some of that isn't true. You can use personal music on your USB if you have update 2.0 or later. There is an app that appears in your home menu that would allow you to play said music if the device is detected by the PS4. As far as playing it in games, that is up to the developer and/or publisher to include that ability into the game.

I recently purchased a PS4. It seems as if though the analog sticks have been coated in a more durable material. It's not as rubber like on all the display models I've seen that have worn out analog sticks.
Anyone else notice this?

I recently purchased a PS4. It seems as if though the analog sticks have been coated in a more durable material. It's not as rubber like on all the display models I've seen that have worn out analog sticks.
Anyone else notice this?

I love the feel on mine, grippy enough (no slip-offs so far) and seem durable.

Could somebody help me?

My PS4 won't activate as my primary PS4, it says I activated another system. But I haven't. Ever.
I did send mine in for service, is it saying I have to somehow deactivate that PS4?

I should mention I know nothing about computer game consoles.

Could somebody help me?

My PS4 won't activate as my primary PS4, it says I activated another system. But I haven't. Ever.
I did send mine in for service, is it saying I have to somehow deactivate that PS4?

I should mention I know nothing about computer game consoles.

From Sony Website....

Deactivating a system

You can deactivate your account from your PS4 or at http://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/.

1. PS4: Select [PSN] > [Activate as Your Primary PS4] > [Deactivate] on an activated PS4™ system.
  2. Sony Entertainment Website: Go to http://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/
  • Select [Deactivate All] under [Account] > [Media and Devices] for the type of content for which you want to deactivate all activated systems.

From Sony Website....

Deactivating a system

You can deactivate your account from your PS4 or at http://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/.

1. PS4: Select [PSN] > [Activate as Your Primary PS4] > [Deactivate] on an activated PS4™ system.
  2. Sony Entertainment Website: Go to http://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/
  • Select [Deactivate All] under [Account] > [Media and Devices] for the type of content for which you want to deactivate all activated systems.
The problem is, there isn't an activated system, I haven't touched any except mine.

The problem is, there isn't an activated system, I haven't touched any except mine.
I take it that your previous one, the one you sent for servicing was never activated to the point of becoming your primary? I say this as for certain repairs you'll get another machine in return.

I take it that your previous one, the one you sent for servicing was never activated to the point of becoming your primary? I say this as for certain repairs you'll get another machine in return.
I activated my PS4 that was sent in for service, but apart from that, none others have been activated.

Back