PlayStation DMZ Connection Tutorial

• Thread starter FlyingFox
  • 45 comments
United Kingdom
St Helens. MSY
FlyingFox_85
PlayStation DMZ Tutorial

Are you having problems with your PS3? Lagging, Disconnecting, well look no further as I hope to help some of you with your problems as we get into the guts of your router/modem and your PS3 and make your gaming experience smoother and more enjoyable.

Router/Modem
Firstly we need to look at your router/modem and help your connection closer to home.

Ideally you need to wire your PS3 rather than use it wireless as this will undoubtedly improve your connection as you don't have walls, floors and other radio interference as many products use the same frequency as your PS3 (2.4 GHz).
If you're unable to wire your PS3, don't worry, these settings will certainly help to minimise any problems you may have.

Now do you know your default IP address of your router/modem? Most of the popular ones will have the following IP:

You can find out buy going into your PS3's settings/Network Settings/ Test Connection
In here you will find the first three numbers of your routers IP; EG: 192.168.0.x. The last number indicated by the x is your PS3's IP: EG: 192.168.0.7.

So from this you will be able to determine your router/modem's default IP address (which from the example above is 192.168.0.1). Make a note of this IP and then put the IP address into your address bar in your browser. Most routers will be pass worded so make sure you know this before going into your router.

Once inside your router you need to look for a tab named DMZ (DeMilitarised Zone). This function lets any device in your network bypass any settings laid down by your router e.g. Firewall and blocked ports.
Once you have found the DMZ tab click on it and you will be presented with the first 3 numbers of your routers IP and an empty box. e.g. 192.168.0.[ ]

The empty box is left blank for you to put in the number of the device you want in the DMZ, your PS3. Remember the example IP I gave you before 192.168.0.7. The 7 would be the number you place in the empty box, once that is done click OK. Your PS3 is now in the DMZ.

But that is only half of the story. Now you need to get your PS3 into the DMZ laid down by PlayStation's server.

I'm going to go through this set up as if you had a wired connection.

OK in your PS3 go to Settings / Network Settings / Internet Connection Settings and do the following:

Under select a setting method click CUSTOM - WIRED CONNECTION then click on MANUAL SETTINGS

Skip Speed and Duplex

IP Address Settings Click MANUAL and enter the following

IP Address: 192.168.x.x (this is your routers IP address given to your PS3)
Subnet Mask: 225.225.225.0
Default Router: 192.168.x.x (this is your routers default IP Address)
Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS 208.67.220.220
MTU: Automatic
Proxy Server: Do Not Use
UPnP: Enable

There, that is your PS3 set up. The only difference between wired and wireless is that you also have to go through the wireless set up protocols of what your network is called and the secure password, if you have one.

I hope this helps you get a more stable connection for your PS3. Happy Gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
This better boost my download speed :P :cheers:

Someone ring Sam AKA Gokartman / GTP NASCAR Lag Missile and send him here...

Gonna try it tomorrow, since I'll be alone all day. The last part you used a wired connection for it... but how we should use it for the wireless part? Just put custom > wireless and follow the same steps?

Some of the DNS ip settings vary. I remember putting my ps3 into dmz and my dns was like 209.81.14.61 and 209.81.14.62 or something of that nature.

If you're having trouble with the dns part and have a windows pc, you can click start (or the windows icon in the bottom left) then click Run then type CMD in the dialog box. A black Dos Prompt should appear. Type in "ipconfig /all" without the quotations. A wall of text should flow generously. Once it's done, scroll up page by page until you find DNS Servers on the left hand column with an IP address to the right of it with one directly under it. The top one is your primary dns and the bottom is the secondary. So if you're having troubles, try this step to see if it clears it up.

You should put your PS3's IP to some other number than its dynamic number if you have other devices connect to the router. My router IP is 192.168.11.1 and it gives IPs to your devices - 1st=192.168.11.2, 2nd=192.168.11.3, and so on. I set my PS3's IP to 192.168.11.15 and now it's not collision to other devices. That [...].15 address is in router's DMZ address.
Those DNS addresses are your connection provider's servers IPs.

You can just use your Modem/Router IP address for your DNS Server.

In the case of my setup, my router is 192.168.0.1

My PS3 static IP is

IP: 192.168.0.40
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS Server 1: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server 2: 0.0.0.0

Router has DMZ set to 192.168.0.40

Works for either wired or wireless.

Wired is always better, wireless is terrible. To avoid Wireless, I use Powerline Networking where my PS3 is hardwired to my router via the powerlines built into my house.

Here is an example -> http://www.netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/
but many different companies do it. I have Netcomm myself, have been using them for 2 years now with no issues. It's really the best way to have a solid connection if your PS3 isn't handy to your router.

Great, I'm having the most simple problem, which is connecting to the residential gateway login. -.-

Was actually using Google's DNS addresses on PS3...

Which is actually a good idea, since they're almost never down and very fast.

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

You should put your PS3's IP to some other number than its dynamic number if you have other devices connect to the router.
This is VERY important, because you WILL have issues if the router decides to assign the address you setup in the PS3 to some other device in your house, so make sure the static IP address is outside of the range your router assigns via DHCP. Or better yet, have the router assign the static address via DHCP, so you can still have the PS3 on 'automatic' settings (might not be possible with every router).

Which is actually a good idea, since they're almost never down and very fast.

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

This is VERY important, because you WILL have issues if the router decides to assign the address you setup in the PS3 to some other device in your house, so make sure the static IP address is outside of the range your router assigns via DHCP. Or better yet, have the router assign the static address via DHCP, so you can still have the PS3 on 'automatic' settings (might not be possible with every router).

Yes if for what ever reason your router has a dynamic IP just check your PS3's IP once a week to make sure it matches with the DMZ IP within your router.

208.67.222.222. This IP address is registered in United States, and affiliated with San Francisco, California. IP Country code is US. ISP of this address is "OpenDNS, LLC", organization is "OpenDNS, LLC". It's host address is resolver1.opendns.com

I have my UPnP off for a reason. If I leave my UPnP on. I don't see 2-5 people and I get disconnect. Also I get this 768 error too. If the UPnP is off I don't get those errors.

UPnP on: NAT 2

UPnP off: NAT 3

I am wireless too. You know why?

I'll certainly give this a shot next time I play my PS3. Not really an option at the moment since I broke my 5th metacarpal in my right hand and currently have a Ulna Gutter cast on.

Putting my PS3 in the DMZ was the difference between playing and not playing after I moved house. Before I set it up, it would take about 5 minutes to get from the XMB to the GT Life screen, then I couldn't get in and friend's lounges - it would either time out the connection, or I would get an 'incompatible with host' message.
After I set up the DMZ, back to (almost) lag free gaming 👍

I'll certainly give this a shot next time I play my PS3. Not really an option at the moment since I broke my 5th metacarpal in my right hand and currently have a Ulna Gutter cast on.

Good to see you again Matty, hope your hand gets better.

Find out who the manufacturer is and see if you could mail them for the default password

It's Motorola... I could ask my mother about it, but then I don't know if she would allow it (I don't see why she wouldn't agree, but knowing her..)

I have my UPnP off for a reason. If I leave my UPnP on. I don't see 2-5 people and I get disconnect. Also I get this 768 error too. If the UPnP is off I don't get those errors.

UPnP on: NAT 2

UPnP off: NAT 3

I am wireless too. You know why?

Fox you know why??? Please help if you can. Please reply.

From what you have told me previously I have no idea how or why you can use your PS3 online when its at NAT 3. Try following the tutorial and let me know how you get on.

Back