PlayStation DMZ Connection Tutorial

• Thread starter FlyingFox
  • 45 comments
From what you have told me previously I have no idea how or why you can use your PS3 online when its at NAT 3. Try following the tutorial and let me know how you get on.

You can play online with NAT3, but you might experience problems with chat, invites etc etc....

Good write-up, Fox 👍. However, I think it won't work for a few people since a lot of modems don't have a DMZ tab (or it's either just disguised as something else or doesn't have an option for a DMZ at all - two of my friends have the same type of router/modem and after trawling through their settings, I couldn't find the DMZ anywhere).

Good write-up, Fox 👍. However, I think it won't work for a few people since a lot of modems don't have a DMZ tab (or it's either just disguised as something else or doesn't have an option for a DMZ at all - two of my friends have the same type of router/modem and after trawling through their settings, I couldn't find the DMZ anywhere).

Thats a shame Daniel. I thought most if not all modems had a DMZ!

THey can however use the second half of the tutorial and manually set up their PS3's, that will help.

Unfortunately the issue with putting the PS3 into DMZ leaves it with a direct ip to the internet, this means it is much easier and a lot more likely to be hacked.

Unfortunately the issue with putting the PS3 into DMZ leaves it with a direct ip to the internet, this means it is much easier and a lot more likely to be hacked.

5 questions:

Are PS3 open to hack if we are connecting to PSN ?

Is DMZ better than just forwarding ports 80-65500 in both TCP UDP ?

Considering PS3 manual gives us port numbers to forward and gives us info if it should be TCP or UDP - is it better to forward these ports the way manual says or just open all the ports for both protocols ?

Does DMZ work as if the PS3 was connected directly to modem ?

Shouldn't we use our ISP DNS ? can I have different DNS for different hardware ?

Till yesterday I had no problems at all with connecting/lag/download speed - but yesterday my internet stopped working for a moment and now I can't for example connect with one of my PSN friends in Uncharted for example...or I can't connect to uncharted lobby :/

Last edited:
5 questions:

Are PS3 open to hack if we are connecting to PSN ?

Is DMZ better than just forwarding ports 80-65500 in both TCP UDP ?

Considering PS3 manual gives us port numbers to forward and gives us info if it should be TCP or UDP - is it better to forward these ports the way manual says or just open all the ports for both protocols ?

Does DMZ work as if the PS3 was connected directly to modem ?

Shouldn't we use our ISP DNS ? can I have different DNS for different hardware ?

Till yesterday I had no problems at all with connecting/lag/download speed - but yesterday my internet stopped working for a moment and now I can't for example connect with one of my PSN friends in Uncharted for example...or I can't connect to uncharted lobby :/

1) DMZ places the device outside of the router, anyone can access the device this way if they know what they are doing. Also PSN is basically a ip address you log into like logging into gmail so it provides no protection.

2) The best way would be to open the following ports instead of DMZ or all ports.

https://support.us.playstation.com/.../~/firewall-port-numbers-to-play-games-online

3)Concerning the DNS usually if you don't notice any issues accessing webpages with your computer then your ISP's DNS is ok. OpenDNS.com does offer theirs and adds some tools like the ability to filter webpages using thier DNS.

Last edited:
Two more question:

Is DMZ the same as connecting hardware (PS3) directly to modem in terms of connectivity an security ?

In terms of connectivity is it better to use SONY recommended ports or just set 80-65555 to both TCP/UPD ?

Two more question:

Is DMZ the same as connecting hardware (PS3) directly to modem in terms of connectivity an security ?

In terms of connectivity is it better to use SONY recommended ports or just set 80-65555 to both TCP/UPD ?

Is your modem also a modem/router combo? A modem connects to the ISP and the router connects devices to the modem(ie lets more than one device connect to the router), most ISPs provide combo units. Connecting to a combo unit would be like connecting to it wirelessly just better since you have less signal degradation.

Opening just the SONY ports would be best since it is more secure, but opening all would be ok. The main point it that the router will still protect you from hackers by dropping their looks for easy attacks(they use whats known as Ping of Death POD's).

It really does not matter about putting your PS3 in the DMZ as it cannot be hacked (I have checked with Sony).

Putting it in the DMZ negates opening ports in your router which it more time consuming and if you get it wrong it does not work.

PlayStation DMZ Tutorial

Are you having problems with your PS3? Lagging, Disconnecting, well look no further as I hope to help some of you with your problems as we get into the guts of your router/modem and your PS3 and make your gaming experience smoother and more enjoyable.

Router/Modem
Firstly we need to look at your router/modem and help your connection closer to home.

Ideally you need to wire your PS3 rather than use it wireless as this will undoubtedly improve your connection as you don't have walls, floors and other radio interference as many products use the same frequency as your PS3 (2.4 GHz).
If you're unable to wire your PS3, don't worry, these settings will certainly help to minimise any problems you may have.

Now do you know your default IP address of your router/modem? Most of the popular ones will have the following IP:

You can find out buy going into your PS3's settings/Network Settings/ Test Connection
In here you will find the first three numbers of your routers IP; EG: 192.168.0.x. The last number indicated by the x is your PS3's IP: EG: 192.168.0.7.

So from this you will be able to determine your router/modem's default IP address (which from the example above is 192.168.0.1). Make a note of this IP and then put the IP address into your address bar in your browser. Most routers will be pass worded so make sure you know this before going into your router.

Once inside your router you need to look for a tab named DMZ (DeMilitarised Zone). This function lets any device in your network bypass any settings laid down by your router e.g. Firewall and blocked ports.
Once you have found the DMZ tab click on it and you will be presented with the first 3 numbers of your routers IP and an empty box. e.g. 192.168.0.[ ]

The empty box is left blank for you to put in the number of the device you want in the DMZ, your PS3. Remember the example IP I gave you before 192.168.0.7. The 7 would be the number you place in the empty box, once that is done click OK. Your PS3 is now in the DMZ.

But that is only half of the story. Now you need to get your PS3 into the DMZ laid down by PlayStation's server.

I'm going to go through this set up as if you had a wired connection.

OK in your PS3 go to Settings / Network Settings / Internet Connection Settings and do the following:

Under select a setting method click CUSTOM - WIRED CONNECTION then click on MANUAL SETTINGS

Skip Speed and Duplex

IP Address Settings Click MANUAL and enter the following

IP Address: 192.168.x.x (this is your routers IP address given to your PS3)
Subnet Mask: 225.225.225.0
Default Router: 192.168.x.x (this is your routers default IP Address)
Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS 208.67.220.220
MTU: Automatic
Proxy Server: Do Not Use
UPnP: Enable

There, that is your PS3 set up. The only difference between wired and wireless is that you also have to go through the wireless set up protocols of what your network is called and the secure password, if you have one.

I hope this helps you get a more stable connection for your PS3. Happy Gaming.
It works for Portugal?

Latest Posts

Back