PlayStation VR GT Sport Bundle Drops to $199

For PSVR new owners... The headset comes with a default software setting for the distance of the gap between your eyes, obviously not everyone has the same size gap between their eyes.
In the PS4 system/device/PSVR settings you can adjust the distance of the gap to set it up for your eyes. Software helps you work this out usig the camera if you dont have a ruler and mirror to enter the value yourself.

I wonder if nay sayers who tried it at a demo booth, have much narrower or wider set eyes than the default setting. If it's more than a few millimeters out, the numbers/text on the dash might be blurry because the two images aren't being aligned to your eyes perfectly.

Also important is proper placement of the headset and CLEAN LENSES. Can't stress these two enough. It's funny how when you first start using the headset it can take a bit to adjust it to get the most of the image sharp but after repeated use you can almost put it on properly with your eyes closed. And again, clean lenses are super important as minor smudging can have a big affect on the overall image quality. Then there is having the camera setup properly and playing in an environment that doesn't interfere with the light tracking. Also very important is using headphones, I thought this was a no brainer but I've read about people not using them. One by one all these things add to the immersion and experience.

info on the 2nd Gen PSVR headsets
The 1st Gen Headset Doesn't support HDR, or HDR pass through to your HDR TV.
( I added an A-B HDMI switch. A send the Video to the VR, B sends it to my TV, this way, I don't have to Swap cables when I want to use HDR )

The New, 2nd Generation VR Head sets support HDR in the VR headset, plus a few other updates.
HDR Pass through is also supported, No more Cable swaps or switch boxes.
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...d-playstation-vr-hdr-support-improved-cabling

What!? That's not true.

The 2nd generation PlayStation VR set does not support HDR. The only difference is that its processing unit allows for HDR passthrough, which is completely different.

A simple HDMI splitter/switch will do the trick and you're much better with a version 1 set and those $200 in your pocket.

Are you guys sure that is the only difference? I planned on getting 2 for Christmas presents and they don't have a PS4 pro or uhd tv's so HDR is not an issue. I wouldn't want to spend 200$ for otherwise inferior tech though.

Are you guys sure that is the only difference? I planned on getting 2 for Christmas presents and they don't have a PS4 pro or uhd tv's so HDR is not an issue. I wouldn't want to spend 200$ for otherwise inferior tech though.

Haven't you heard, the PSVR is already inferior tech! :P

To my knowledge there is no difference between image quality or tracking from version 1 to version 2. Key differences are the HDR passthrough, thinner cabling without the breakout box, built-in earbuds, and the power button and volume controls have been added to the headset itself vs being part of the wiring. A google or YouTube search will yield more in-depth specifics.

Also, as already mentioned in this thread by someone else and as I've already mentioned in other threads, Dirt Rally VR is a must have for any racing fans who already have or are considering the PSVR. Absolutely brilliant on the PSVR in my opinion.

To my knowledge there is no difference between image quality or tracking from version 1 to version 2. Key differences are the HDR passthrough, thinner cabling without the breakout box, built-in earbuds, and the power button and volume controls have been added to the headset itself vs being part of the wiring. A google or YouTube search will yield more in-depth specifics.

Also, as already mentioned in this thread by someone else and as I've already mentioned in other threads, Dirt Rally VR is a must have for any racing fans who already have or are considering the PSVR. Absolutely brilliant on the PSVR in my opinion.

Thanks. Yeah, I have Rally and a Rift for PC. This would be Christmas gifts for peasants on PS4 where PSVR is their only option. :D

Also important is proper placement of the headset and CLEAN LENSES. Can't stress these two enough. It's funny how when you first start using the headset it can take a bit to adjust it to get the most of the image sharp but after repeated use you can almost put it on properly with your eyes closed. And again, clean lenses are super important as minor smudging can have a big affect on the overall image quality. Then there is having the camera setup properly and playing in an environment that doesn't interfere with the light tracking. Also very important is using headphones, I thought this was a no brainer but I've read about people not using them. One by one all these things add to the immersion and experience.

Interesting - how does it work for spectacle wearers. Wearing a karting helmet for instance can fog up glasses. Any experience from spectacle wearers with PSVR....

Interesting - how does it work for spectacle wearers. Wearing a karting helmet for instance can fog up glasses. Any experience from spectacle wearers with PSVR....

Not sure about PSVR because I have a Rift but they can't be that different. I have to put a fan in front of me otherwise even without glasses it will fog up. Not a big deal in the whole scheme of things though.

Or maybe you have unrealistic expectations? Anyway, tell me, what other games did you try on the PSVR?
I had no expectations. I want it to work and work well as I think it's a natural evolution for gaming. If I can get my hands on an Oculus Rift or Vive system I'll try that as I think I have a pc capable of pushing the necessary frame rates. I tried PSVR on one game only, GT Sport, and the graphical fidelity was horrendous IMO. I don't have much interest in anything but racing games so if it doesn't work well for me with the top dog there's no point in trying out anything else.

I had no expectations. I want it to work and work well as I think it's a natural evolution for gaming. If I can get my hands on an Oculus Rift or Vive system I'll try that as I think I have a pc capable of pushing the necessary frame rates. I tried PSVR on one game only, GT Sport, and the graphical fidelity was horrendous IMO. I don't have much interest in anything but racing games so if it doesn't work well for me with the top dog there's no point in trying out anything else.

IMO GT Sport does look like butt in VR and the immersion factor isn't really there for me so I can see where you are coming from, that said you are experiencing poor implementation of a game rather than poor tech and judging a system based on one game seems rather silly. It's probably a game I will never purchase unless certain improvements are made or I can find it for dirt cheap, I'm glad I chose to rent it from redbox to give it a go rather than sinking $60. DIRT Rally is top dog by a long shot when it comes to the few racing games for the system, if there is a driving game you should try that's the one. The PSVR's resolution is enough to provide pretty good visuals and in many games the SDE is barely noticeable if not non existent. We're only one year into the system and developers will continue to improve on the graphics. Despite it's limitations the PSVR is one of the biggest improvements in gaming that I have experienced, obviously the graphics will always be behind what we get on a standard screen but the immersion more than makes up for it.

GT Sport is way down on the list of games I would use when introducing someone to the PSVR, it's quite a shame imo.

Last edited:
Have you tried spitting on your glasses and rubbing it in with a cloth before putting on the helmet / VR headset? Seriously, divers use this trick on the inside of their goggles.

Works for me but YMMV.

Have you tried spitting on your glasses and rubbing it in with a cloth before putting on the helmet / VR headset? Seriously, divers use this trick on the inside of their goggles.

Works for me but YMMV.

Seriously? You have tried this and it works or you are just going to laugh at me later when I say I tried it? :confused:

Actually it isn’t that inferior when compared to the others. Oculus and Vive have a higher resolution with more pixels sure. But they have fewer “full” pixels. So they have lower sub pixel resolution which impacts the quality of edges and increases nasty screen door effect. On top of this, they have worse lenses causing god rays as well as lower frame rate (120 vs 90 hrz). I know of no respected reviewers talking about the screen in psvr being lower quality than the other two.

So at this price I went ahead and picked one up for myself as well. I am much more impressed than I expected to be. Obviously it is not going to track as well as a Rift with 2 dedicated sensors and it doesn't have controllers like the Oculus Touch, but the overall quality and graphical fidelity is not inferior in any way. Plus you don't need a 800 dollar video card just to run it. It is lightyears more comfortable to wear. For 200 bucks it is a no brainer imo if you have any interest at all in VR.

I posted it in the other PSVR thread but the GT Sport bundle is now $180 at Wal-Mart, not sure for how long though. It's too bad the price of the Moves is now $100 for a pair but it's possible they can still be found used for a reasonable price.

I tried gt sport last night finally on my psvr and I loved it. Sure the graphics arent as great as a flat screen 4k tv but the immersion you get outweighs this imho. I mean....it's not in 1080p or anything but it is decent and in 3d...so It really feels like you're sitting in these cars....I do have a custom rig with tx wheel and t3pa pro pedals so that helps with the immersion. I immediately was driving better because i was aware of my speed and able to look around the corners....it's just a crazy experience and I really hope we get more content options for this technology. It's not backwards tech by any means....on your flat screen, can you look through the turn through the passenger window? You can in vr and it's in 3d and it is how you should be racing in real life...not just looking straight ahead. Not to mention the other games that are available.....the makers of London Heist are coming out with a full game soon (forgot what it's called) but it should be epic. Vr will get better as time goes by too...so there is no reason to just scoff at it. That seems rather ignorant to me...embrace it and be glad that we live in a time where we have the technology to experience these things. Anyone else remember when Super Mario bros came out and Nintendo....people didn't complain that Mario looked too blocky...no we enjoyed it for what it was because it was something new.

Well I've just been driving all the new cars in VR, got to say the samba is a thing of beauty, felt like I was really in one. Driving bathurst I could see over the barriers and there is so much to see, I'm going to be touring all the other tracks in it. Yes its slow, but in 2nd gear struggling up the hill, it was nice to look out the roof window and see the helicopter which I heard.
Its a shame the sunroof isn't open.
I'm disappointed that the stingray is convertible but the roof is up? I need a torch to see the interior in that, maybe a different day setting would have helped.
I'm also disappointed with the F40 sound, driveclub VR makes a much more enjoyable noise.
It's a shame they haven't added any laps in this update. Here is hoping for a future VR update.

I'm also hoping for more options with vr. I know I must be in the minority but it pains me to go back to flat to level up so I can drive more tracks and cars in vr.

Please don't get me wrong. This game in 4k looks amazing and is awesome but after vr it's like looking through a window (wait...windows are actually 3d) so I guess looking at a moving painting vs being in the car and in that world.

I love the physicality, presence and feeling the hills in the pit of my stomach on tracks I never realized had hills. (the tracks I did know had banks and hills are crazy now. Like, real life feeling crazy. The g forces and momentum I feel are awesome!) I feel so much more connected to the car. I wish my old dfgt worked with this. :( The scale of the world/cars in general is lost on me when I go back to 2d whether it's on my 4k tv or a 110' projector.

It's still an awesome experience on a flat screen but imho the immersion and feeling of actually being there and feeling the visceral goodness can't be overstated.

This is all just my opinion but I had to get it out there after seeing all the hyperbolic negativity towards vr in general. Please don't flame me. lol.

Its crazy good, If satan himself had told me 10 years ago that I could be having these graphics and be actually in the game I would have resold my soul.

Yeh graphics have moved on a lot in 10 years, but real 3D depth like you could reach out and touch it is on a level above awesome.

When I played Dirt Rally VR I would be waving back at the crowd lol
I got that feeling again today while driving the samba, that slow speed lets you appreciate what is going on around and beyond the barriers, I nearly crashed looking at the peoples camping setups.

Old wheels might work with some gubbings that I saw mentioned on gt planet, a little box you plug your wheel into to make the PS4 recognise it...

I need to give the game another go. I've only played it with a controller while sitting on the edge of my bed and I think that took a lot away from the experience for me. I also only had 2 or 3 cars unlocked and only the first couple tracks and just put in a few laps which is admittedly not enough time to judge the game. If I remember correctly the lighting also bothered me as it was often hard to get a good view of the interior (too dark) and everything felt kind of washed out or lacking contrast.

I will be heading home for the holidays and I'm hoping my brother has the game and the wheel and seat is still at my dad's so I can try it again.

I'm also hoping for more options with vr. I know I must be in the minority but it pains me to go back to flat to level up so I can drive more tracks and cars in vr.

Please don't get me wrong. This game in 4k looks amazing and is awesome but after vr it's like looking through a window (wait...windows are actually 3d) so I guess looking at a moving painting vs being in the car and in that world.

I love the physicality, presence and feeling the hills in the pit of my stomach on tracks I never realized had hills. (the tracks I did know had banks and hills are crazy now. Like, real life feeling crazy. The g forces and momentum I feel are awesome!) I feel so much more connected to the car. I wish my old dfgt worked with this. :( The scale of the world/cars in general is lost on me when I go back to 2d whether it's on my 4k tv or a 110' projector.

It's still an awesome experience on a flat screen but imho the immersion and feeling of actually being there and feeling the visceral goodness can't be overstated.

This is all just my opinion but I had to get it out there after seeing all the hyperbolic negativity towards vr in general. Please don't flame me. lol.

I totally agree. For a first entry VR Ver.1 (also new to me to VR last year)The sense of immersion wins the day for me even a year on each time I put it on. I only use it every other week or so as it does not agree with me like I want it to :ill: but when I do get round to it, it wows me each time.

For example in GT Sport seeing how big the hills are in Brands Hatch, riding up and down them in the Mazda Roadster and looking up at the sky and massive buildings which you don't notice on a TV. The cars next to you are full size, the massive jumps in the Fishermans Ranch where your stomach/body thinks it is jumping is amazing to me still.

Apart from that as I said before you have brilliant other genres like You tube 360, 3D or VR, Littlstar VR Videos, Music videos. Horror games are like real and scary and I don't play them late at night any more on my own after a beer :lol:...like RE7 Kitchen, Rush of Blood:P

Batman and London Heist are my Faves and a load of free demos and a massive 3D cinema mode to watch blu ray 3D in you have to at least try all the options if you get a chance.

Wipeout PSVR is coming soon too! & I would love Doom in VR as i really enjoyed the original but not sure I could take it in VR.

@Johnnypenso I think maybe they didn't spend 2-3 mins setting up your eye calibration or the lenses were dirty or smudged. Maybe it wasn't sitting right on your head or something, as once you do get a sharp focus even with glasses on it is pretty much nearly 1080p sharp on most games.
GT Sport is not quiet there but it is better than what you are saying from what I played. So I feel something was not right with your demo. I hope you get a chance to try another game in the future but I also understand it is not for everyone but anyone who has tried it seems to really be impressed.👍

I need to give the game another go. I've only played it with a controller while sitting on the edge of my bed and I think that took a lot away from the experience for me. I also only had 2 or 3 cars unlocked and only the first couple tracks and just put in a few laps which is admittedly not enough time to judge the game. If I remember correctly the lighting also bothered me as it was often hard to get a good view of the interior (too dark) and everything felt kind of washed out or lacking contrast.

I will be heading home for the holidays and I'm hoping my brother has the game and the wheel and seat is still at my dad's so I can try it again.
Yes, just using a controller with a racing game in vr really sells it short. Ive heard also its easier to get sick that way too. Try it with a wheel....it's so much better.

Yes, just using a controller with a racing game in vr really sells it short. Ive heard also its easier to get sick that way too. Try it with a wheel....it's so much better.

Or motion controller settings on ds4 and gt sport is excellent (-2 sensivity though) it works really well if you haven't tried it. You forget there is no wheel there in VR :)

What's unfair about it? PSVR is first and foremost a visual medium. Relative to other visual medium this is by far the most backwards piece of tech I can think of. It's like going back two generations of screen fidelity and watching it through a screen door just for the advantage of being able to move your head around. Some people are obviously ok with that trade off, for me it was atrocious.

It is considerably more than "being able to move your head around"

The level of immersion is something that no TV could ever hope to match no matter the resolution. Playing Skyrim where you are actualy in a castle being attacked by a dragon instead of just watching that on a TV screen.....there is nothing else like it imo. "Flat" games are so boring after you have spent a few hours in VR. I have a rather nice 65' Sony 4K HDR set and I'll take PSVR over that any day :)

The level of immersion is something that no TV could ever hope to match no matter the resolution. Playing Skyrim where you are actualy in a castle being attacked by a dragon instead of just watching that on a TV screen.....there is nothing else like it imo. "Flat" games are so boring after you have spent a few hours in VR. I have a rather nice 65' Sony 4K HDR set and I'll take PSVR over that any day :)

So true. I have a brand new Samsung 65 inch 4k tv and I only play Pcars 2 in VR. Don't even consider playing on the big screen. I don't want to veer to far of topic but is Skyrim VR all that? It's on my short list but I hate to buy it for a third time to be honest.

So true. I have a brand new Samsung 65 inch 4k tv and I only play Pcars 2 in VR. Don't even consider playing on the big screen. I don't want to veer to far of topic but is Skyrim VR all that? It's on my short list but I hate to buy it for a third time to be honest.

It really is for me :) to be fair this is the first time I've played it so there is a wow factor just on how good the game is anyway. ;)
But I easily spend hours at a time in there. It adds so much to the game to actually be right there in the world :)

When it's as crisp and clear with the same graphical fidelity as the flatscreen I'll be all over it. Immersion is lost for me when I take two steps back in the visual department. Maybe it's much better in other games vs. GTS.

this 100%. while I haven't tried GT Sport in VR, VR in general is amazing! the problem is there's not enough test kiosks in stores for people to try it.

PSVR is pretty much starting to dominate the VR market, and with that comes software support. It's at over 2m now, and likely over 3m by the turn of the year.

I'm in the market for the V2 version but GT Sport and driving games aren't really what appeals. I have my eye on Firewall: Zero Hour.

Back