PMC Discussion Thread: 3.0 Interest Check

Hey guys, does anyone happen to have the full size of andrea week 52 winner entry?

Ah, so that was the one which was missing for the HoF. I do sadly not have the full size, I know it was heavily cropped in the "full" full size. I think it was around 900x600, I think you'd have to ask andrea if you already haven't.

And that Photomode Awards things sounds great, I think I might've been able to attempt hosting as a last resort, but I don't think I'm the most suitable.

It's eerie you mentioned this, Ferrari_458, as I was thinking about something along these lines the past few months! TVR&FF did something like it many years ago with GT4, and it's a very fun thing for the community. My only suggestions:

• If you were hosting, you may find the non-Premium inbox to be a bit... lacking, in size :P
  • I think writing in nominations for the beginning is great, but I think the next round could maybe be served better if it was done using the in-forum poll options. That way all of the community could vote (it requires less effort than PM'ing in choices), and also, everyone nominated would also see their names up there :). Perhaps, to accommodate multiple choices, the poll could be similar to the Photomode Tournaments that Luis hosts - ask him or I for an explanation on how to set those up in these situations, as it's a bit tricky given the board software, if that's the path you choose 👍

Er... that's actually pretty much it ;). I think it's an awesome idea :cheers:

That is an excellent idea! I could help. I think a non-Premium inbox would simply self destruct with the amount of PMs you'd get. :lol:

Hmm, yes, thinking about it, I don't think my inbox could cope with it at all, so maybe that part could be handed over to someone else, or a special e-mail account could be set up or something..
And about your second point SlipZtrEm, I was originally going for the PM your votes method, plainly because at real awards ceremonies, there is no way to gauge who has won until the winner is announced, and it would add a little suspense to the proceedings, whereas with a poll, you can tell right from the start who is the likely winner, which maybe ruins the tension a bit. I understand that, logistically, it may be a bit more difficult to run, but I feel it would possibly benefit the competition overall :)

Another thing is people would maybe just vote for their friends.

SVX
Another thing is people would maybe just vote for their friends.

To choose who gets to choose the theme for the 1st competition and be the judge?
or
To choose who would run the competition?

To choose who gets to choose the theme for the 1st competition and be the judge?
or
To choose who would run the competition?

My idea is not for a normal weekly cometition, it is for a one off awards ceremony from time to time, so SVX is saying that in the nominating and voting, people may just choose their friends. Although surely that could also be said for the weekly competitions in some cases, and also, part of being in the community is having friends :sly:

My idea is not for a normal weekly cometition, it is for a one off awards ceremony from time to time, so SVX is saying that in the nominating and voting, people may just choose their friends. Although surely that could also be said for the weekly competitions in some cases, and also, part of being in the community is having friends :sly:

I think 3.0 should just be like any of the other competitions.

If you do a one-off award competition, you might want to just make it a grouping of 3.0 winners.
Maybe don't do a split competition every 4th week instead, do a winner's poll every 5th (or any other amount) week that would include the winners from the previous week's competitons, all running against each other with no required theme.
The regularly scheduled weekly competition and poll would run that week also.

Just an idea.

I love 3.0 and I pretty much do primarily 3.0 level editing, so I would be okay with it running every week.

I think 3.0 should just be like any of the other competitions.

If you do a one-off award competition, you might want to just make it a grouping of 3.0 winners.
Maybe don't do a split competition every 4th week instead, do a winner's poll every 5th (or any other amount) week that would include the winners from the previous week's competitons, all running against each other with no required theme.
The regularly scheduled weekly competition and poll would run that week also.

Just an idea.

I love 3.0 and I pretty much do primarily 3.0 level editing, so I would be okay with it running every week.

Oh no, this isn't discussing 3.0 anymore, if you read the last post on the last page, you'll see that I introduced a new idea :lol: I love the idea of 3.0 by the way, although maybe not every week...

Oh no, this isn't discussing 3.0 anymore, if you read the last post on the last page, you'll see that I introduced a new idea :lol: I love the idea of 3.0 by the way, although maybe not every week...

oh, okay.

So when do the 3.0 competitions start up?

Well, as of right now they aren't :P

We had a trial week a couple weeks ago and there's a bit of discussion taking place in that thread - I believe it's still sticky'd at the top of the Photomode Competitions forum.

So, let's organize this!
I think we should find categories first. Maybe 10 to 15 ?
The ideas of Ferrari are great but we need others.

• Best Edited Photo
  • Best Unedited Photo
  • Best Set of Photos (Min 5)
  • Best Photographer
  • Best New Photographer (Gallery Started in last 3 months)
  • Special Recognition Award
  • Critics Choice (Voted for by maybe anyone who has won a competition before)
  • Best Editer

I have some others :
  • Best Photoshopper (based on Photoshop manipulations, not image enhancement)
  • Best Gallery
  • Most influent Photographer
  • Best Photographer (voted by the PMC hosts aka SlipZ, Rev, Luis and Nato)

Other ideas are welcome so add your own !

So, let's organize this!
I think we should find categories first. Maybe 10 to 15 ?
The ideas of Ferrari are great but we need others.

I have some others :
  • Best Photoshopper (based on Photoshop manipulations, not image enhancement)
  • Best Gallery
  • Most influent Photographer
  • Best Photographer (voted by the PMC hosts aka SlipZ, Rev, Luis and Nato)

Other ideas are welcome so add your own !

Great ideas Fido, I completely overlooked "Best Gallery", that seems obvious now :dunce: As you say, we do need more categories to be viable. I was also thinking that with Luis announcing the next Photomode Tournament, that we either try to tie the timings in with that, or completely miss it, and maybe hold it in April time..

Well, since the tourney starts monday (apparently), I believe it will be a little short to synchronize the two.

But I don't think it's an issue.
Also I forgot, we should start thinking about the selection process, who will be nominated in the different categories and why.

Yeah, maybe setting up the nomination stage at maybe the end of February, and leaving it open for 2 weeks until halfway through March, then announcing 5-7 nominations in each category at about that time based on this as soon as possible, and leave the voting open for 2 weeks again, to end at the start of April?? Winners to be released possibly over the course of one awards week then, or possibly on one fun-filled night :sly:

I decided to draft a few rules tonight. Do these seem alright or do they need adding to?

• You must only nominate one person/photo in each category.
  • You must not nominate yourself.
  • Nominations should be PM’ed to me (Ferrari_458) and NOT posted in this thread or discussed elsewhere.
  • You do not have to nominate in every category.
  • It would be helpful if nominations could have links provided with them, although this is not vital.
  • Once you have nominated, you may not change your nominations, so think carefully before committing.
  • Only photos first shown publically before *ENTER START DATE HERE* are eligible for nominations.
  • Do not try to sway other members to nominate you.
  • The 5 most nominated people/photos will make it through to the voting stage.
  • Nominations will close at *ENTER END DATE/TIME HERE*. The final nominations will then be released.
  • You are eligible to nominate and vote in the Critic’s Choice category if you have won two or more times in any of the 5 recognised competitions (PMC, 2.0, CCCL, Secret Santa, Photoshop) One win in two different competitions is fine.
  • The Special Recognition Award does not need nominations or a vote this time, as it is fairly obvious who this needs to go to.. ;)
And since I've bought myself a premium membership to celebrate 500 posts, my inbox shouldn't explode anymore :lol:

Also any more categories are appreciated :). Here are the ones that Fido and I have come up with so far:
  • Best Photographer
  • Best Photo (Edited)
  • Best Photo (Unedited)
  • Best Galley
  • Best New Photographer (Gallery started since 1/11/11)
  • Best Set of Photos (Minimum of 5 in the set)
  • Best Photo Editor (Within 2.0/3.0 rules)
  • Best Photoshopper
  • Most Influential Photographer
  • Critic’s Choice (Voted for by multiple competition winners)
  • Special Recognition Award

This sounds all really good to me - nice work Ferrari_458 and Fido. 👍

Thanks everyone for the support, I'm looking to get a thread up before I got to Germany for a week on Thursday, but I've just realised that we need banners to make it pretty... I don't think I'm really up to making any, so if anyone would be available to make some, that would be amazing :)

Thanks everyone for the support, I'm looking to get a thread up before I got to Germany for a week on Thursday, but I've just realised that we need banners to make it pretty... I don't think I'm really up to making any, so if anyone would be available to make some, that would be amazing :)

PM me any and all things you need and I'll try to make them up.

On top of that, I would provide prizes - each winner would get a (tradable) car from the New Car Dealer. 👍

On top of that, I would provide prizes - each winner would get a (tradable) car from the New Car Dealer. 👍

Well I'm quite happy to provide a prize to all the winners, as I have plenty of spare change, unless you're offering.. :sly:

Back