PMC Discussion Thread: 3.0 Interest Check

Well I'm quite happy to provide a prize to all the winners, as I have plenty of spare change, unless you're offering.. :sly:

Would be no problem. Do you have any special cars in mind or should I just pick up random ones? ;)

Would be no problem. Do you have any special cars in mind or should I just pick up random ones? ;)

I was just going to offer any premium under 1000000 Cr. for the winner to pick, as I have 12000000 Cr. and there are 11 categories.. Although maybe specific prizes would be preferable..

I was just going to offer any premium under 1000000 Cr. for the winner to pick, as I have 12000000 Cr. and there are 11 categories.. Although maybe specific prizes would be preferable..

I thought about buying cars and then releasing a list from which the winners could pick. 💡

I thought about buying cars and then releasing a list from which the winners could pick. 💡

Maybe, although that may involve ranking the awards, to decide who picks first, which I don't really want to do :indiff:

Maybe, although that may involve ranking the awards, to decide who picks first, which I don't really want to do :indiff:

That's true. I think that the method proposed in my last post would only work if all cars were the same - and that is not good. :indiff:

So, any other ideas?

If you feel like giving out prizes yourself, then go ahead; there are enough other ways/options for me to show my support for/reward photographers (e.g. competitions, the upcoming tournament). ;)

Last edited:
Thread now open here :)

If anyone would like to help with the distribution of prize cars to speed the process up, then I would be grateful. I think I have decided that winners can have any premium up to the value of 1000000 Cr. (tuning parts included) though, so as long as you have some money lying around, it shouldn't be too difficult to help :)

Sorry for bumping this again, but are we supposed to have another 3.0 competition any time soon? I presume there are a few revisions in the rules in store, but I think it worked out fairly well... :P

Just asking, thought it'd be fun to have a panorama week for example.

Last edited:
Sorry for bumping this again, but are we supposed to have another 3.0 competition any time soon? I presume there a few revisions in the rules in store, but I think it worked out fairly well... :P

Just asking, thought it'd be fun to have a panorama week for example.

In the wake of the "lens flare in 2.0 comp" discussion... Anyone interested in continuing the 3.0?

Excuse the unholiest of all the unholy actions - the double-post-bump. :P

We do have enough comps at the moment but 3.0 was trialed as an option in the Photoshop comp. That would still work as it doesn't add another comp but is kind of like PMC and 2.0 where every forth week is H2H. So in Photoshop comp every forth could be 3.0. But that is up to Revolution as he is host for that comp.

I am a supporter of 3.0 in the Photoshop Competition, as I said in it's trials, making it like the Graphic/Manipulation categories chosen by the winner of the judge choice. Well implemented, can give more variety to the competition. There are some things that can be done besides HDR/Panoramas (little planets comes to mind, along other things), that don't belong to neither category.

As a standalone, I don't think it would take of, since, as it was seen in the 3.0 trials, the majority of entries where 2.0ish and while you can do some things 'only' under 3.0, it's not that much to justify a new competition.

FWIW - as the accidental originator of the 'Lens Flare' discussion, I must say I don't think we need a 3.0 comp. There are enough already. Just my opinion. :)

And apologies about that lens flare - honest mistake! I get carried away every now and then. :dopey:

As you may have seen in the poll thread for Week 60 of the Secret Santa Competition, Nicknamealguem has raised the issue of number plate modifications in the 2.0 Edit rules competitions. He has pointed out that some have been going beyond the rules and cutting and pasting number plates from other real life images.
It seems there is some confusion over the rules pertaining to this area so it would be good now to make the current rules clear.
The main intention of modifications to number plates was to allow us to clean up those horrible versions on the standards and let us personalize them/put a signature there instead.

I think the confusion is here;-

What you may not do to a photo:
  • Alter the geometry of the car. No stickers, or body modifications not available in game.
  • Add shapes or objects from outside of GT5, signatures excepted.
  • Remove items from shot (scenery, other cars).

When it comes to number plates these three don't do's appear void as you are technically modifying the car, adding an object or removing an item from the image.
Therefore many have thought that they can add the object from another image.

However, that is not the case and any modifications must be made with the standard PhotoShop tools brushes/text tools etc... you cannot cut and paste from another image.

I believe complex number plates are possible if you 'build' them from scratch without using any other images in the construction.

Please feel free to comment and offer your opinion on the subject and thank you Luis for bring this to our attention. :)

What Nato has said above is my view on the matter too. I realize part of the blame lies with me - firstly, for not making this particular part of the rules clearer, and secondly, for never getting back to Luis the first time he brought it up (it seems the PM is lost in my inbox somewhere). Simply dropping a plate from another image onto your submission has always been a bit too far, editing-wise, for 2.0, and the license plate modification rule was more about, as Nato said, cleaning up low-res ugliness or using it as a different spot for a signature.

I think the rules will have to be re-written slightly to make this more clear, and to put down distinct limitations for the license plates. I realize this is a pain, and I apologize to those who this has affected, but from here on out, we should be clear of any confusion. As for the SSC Poll, I'll also agree that the Aston will stay in the poll. My ambiguousness on this portion of the rules won't affect the poll, or previous HOF entries.

Again, sorry folks - the floor is open to suggestions :)

trouble is, gentlemen, that fonts for the licence plates should be available somewhere online for use, right?

if banning licence plate alterations with picture of a licence plate on the pic itself, one could use that he used the font for licence plates as defence.

Again, I am really sorry to bring this up a bit late, should have brought a bit sooner and the way I saw license plates modification was how Nato described, to be used as a clean-up method.

It's easy to spot if the License plate is done using font/brush tool or cut and paste from another image. ;)

As I said, the past shouldn't be changed, it's more of a regard for the future.

Forgive me for the 5 month bump here.

The PSC has been gone for 3 months now and that is, of course with the due cause of gradual lack of interest.

With the PSC down, I would like to propose and hold an interest check on a 3.0 Unlimited Competition where there are no rules on editing, so long as the subject of the picture still remains relevant.
I have spoken to SlipZ about this and if there's enough interest, we might just see a 3.0 PMC on the way. :)

Here's a quick breakdown:

Rules

There will be no rules on editing.
The differences in 2.0 and 3.0 would be mainly:

Multiple photos, exposure will be allowed (e.g. HDR)
Foreign objects (Objects not originally in GT5 would be allowed, e.g. raindrops, lens flare) allowed.
Altering the car to make liveries, bodykits and whatnot would be allowed.
Removing items from photos would be allowed.
And basically anything that is restricted in 2.0 will be allowed.

Competition Format

Also, to make 3.0 a little more different ,and more interesting, there would be alternating 'week types', just like PSC had with graphics and manipulation.

There would be 2 types (Others can be implemented if there is interests): Open and Edit

Open themes would be just like any other, where the judge provides a theme, and the rest follows.

Edit themes would be a little different. The judge would provide 2 photos, while the judge's choice would provide a third photo for the participants to edit. So edit weeks will just be like RE:MIXes with 3 choices. (for those of you here long enough to know the REMIX bandwagon in March :dopey:)

3.0 is focused more on one's editing skill than his photography skills (though they still matter) and with edit weeks, allow those who doesn't take photos to participate in a PMC competition still. And for those who're lazy. :P
The time consumption as compared to PSC would be also much lesser, and hopefully that would allow for continued interest (if there's any to begin with) for its success.

TL;DR
Are you interested in a 3.0 Comp?

Also, to those who're interested, do drop in suggestions.

Sounds good to me. Great idea and format. The only thing i wouldn't like is having the photos provided for us.

If i were to spend hours editing a photo to a high standard i would rather it be my own shot. I just like being 100% responsible for my output especially when it comes to printing out an edit to hang on my wall. I just wouldn't be as proud of it if it was based on someone elses vision.

No one may agree with me though hehe!

Other than that though you've come up with a great competition model Taiga 👍

Just a silly idea: The PCM winner shot could be the base for a 3.0 competition (sometimes). :D

Quick question, does no rule cover photo stitching?

And I like the idea of having two alternating themes each week. 👍

I would do it.

What about putting cars into actual photographed scenes? Would that be something that would be able to be implimented into the 3.0 comp?

I like the idea, but I would much rather prefer if someone (with Revolution consent) took the PSC from where it left and re-introduce the 3.0 ideas into it. Maybe having something like graphics, manipulation and 3.0 so that the 3.0 would cover the things you can't do in graphics and manipulation (more about the photo itself (HDR, panorama, editing a provided image) and less about doing a poster/magazine like the graphics week or edit the body-kit of a car like the manipulation week). I think that way you would have a competition that would remain strong for many weeks. The 3.0 as a standalone, I don't think it would go up more than 10 weeks (more or less).

As I said in the tournament discussion thread:
Not quite. There were always an hype behind it and most would love to see a 3.0 competition around. The thing is, and as it been experienced through GT4, the maximum it reached was 20 weeks. So it's not a great option for a solo competition.

Also, there was a trial 3.0 week in the Photoshop competition that, as it's host Revolution said, it didn't have a great outcome, which I kind of disagree and still think that with some tweaks to it (mainly some rules) it would have been a great complement to the Photoshop Competition.

As for the tournament, I've been thinking if it would be good to integrate a possible 3.0/free for all side, besides the PMC/2.0, but I don't really know if that would be a good idea. One thing I am certain, next season will have something different than this one, regarding PMC/2.0 side choosing and this season will have a special round.

In conclusion, as I said before, I would rather have a re-invented PSC with some tweaks to it, than a brand new 3.0 competition.

Sounds good to me. Great idea and format. The only thing i wouldn't like is having the photos provided for us.

If i were to spend hours editing a photo to a high standard i would rather it be my own shot. I just like being 100% responsible for my output especially when it comes to printing out an edit to hang on my wall. I just wouldn't be as proud of it if it was based on someone elses vision.

No one may agree with me though hehe!

Other than that though you've come up with a great competition model Taiga 👍

I agree with this. Although I'm sure there would be be some nice shots to work with from others I think my compulsion to enter would depend greatly on what shots were on offer.

I think a re-working of the PSC to a 3.0 could work. And I'd likely enter when I can. But I can also see how it may still not have the longevity it deserves. You never know until you try though.

to be very honest ,.. how many of us can keep up with the skillz of shaolin masta - gtuned & jBhIpS ? maybe Nato and raphael ? but never the less i would start coming back to gt5 if there is an 3.0 competition like Taiga mentioned .

cheers

to be very honest ,.. how many of us can keep up with the skillz of shaolin masta - gtuned & jBhIpS ? maybe Nato and raphael ? but never the less i would start coming back to gt5 if there is an 3.0 competition like Taiga mentioned .

cheers

I think there are more than just 4/5 people cabable of doing great stuff beyond 2.0. ;)

leeislee, NBD, Kodje, and more. :)

I think there are more than just 4/5 people cabable of doing great stuff beyond 2.0. ;)

leeislee, NBD, Kodje, and more. :)
Yeah i agree, there are many people who can take part in the competitions. Even those without major editing experience can enter, after all, a great edit can be something completely different or something basically edited...After all, a great picture is a great picture! 👍

well sorry for beeing realistic, my chances vs g tuned are just veeeeeery small :D

but you both are right , everyone can enter ,. i didn´t said anything against that or did i ? ....

anyway, i would enter anyway just to see the awesome stuff some of you are producing .

Yeah i agree, there are many people who can take part in the competitions. Even those without major editing experience can enter, after all, a great edit can be something completely different or something basically edited...After all, a great picture is a great picture! 👍
I'd give it ago once i've widened my abilities past colour alterations and basic cleanup.

I've just bought lightroom 4 but I'm not allowed it until xmas:rolleyes:, just to check will this allow me to add 3.0 features like rain drop effects etc?

I guess it allows you to do anything you want :)

Till today I didn't put much effort in doing extensive edit work because there is no point. With a competition like this I would probably invest some time doing it. :) I think I just made 1 shot that would fit in a 3.0 comp... was my NSX in the rain. And that's pretty much all. lol

I know there is talent hidding around here and we don't have a clue! :D

Back