Pocher - Aventador 1:8 build.

• Thread starter AMG.
  • 112 comments
@AMG.

Do you use acrilic or glaze paint?

I built 1/24 kits (mainly Tamiya). The level of detail is the same, only in a very smaller scale...

Vallejo air, Zero paints & Alclad for airbrush, Tamiya acrylics with brush, and sometimes Humbrol enamels. I still have those enamels from 20-30 yrs ago.

Glaze paint?

@a6m5 - This car straight OOB assembly is pretty straightforward and unfortunately I've seen some forums where exactly that happens. I could do the same and throw it together within a week, but where's the fun in that? :D

@a6m5 - This car straight OOB assembly is pretty straightforward and unfortunately I've seen some forums where exactly that happens. I could do the same and throw it together within a week, but where's the fun in that? :D
Oh, I'm totally enjoying this. Your approach here is what's making this thread extra interesting. :D:tup:

So interesting to watch it all come together. I think I spent the last 20 minutes just studying the pictures on the last page. :D

Aventador-0045.jpg

2mm tubing. Insert soldering wire in ends. Cut in to longer tubing and insert shorter piece to get a Y split.
Use superglue to make permanent joint.

Raid fridge for margarine. Remove foil top from tub. Clean, smoothen and cut thin strips. Wave magic wand over strips to convert to heat resistant foil.

Apply super glue to start and then unglue fingers. :mad: Wrap around black tubing till end, glue more heat shield and unglue fingers:banghead:. Repeat process several times until tired. Create post on GTP to keep sanity.:cool:

DONT think of how many more times you need to do this. :grumpy:

Last edited:
You sir, are mad.
No way I'd have the patience to put THAT much detail into a model kit, regardless of size lol
Excellent work so far 👍

As long as it doesn't end up the way my dad's model ship did, it's been under construction for about 30 years now :D

Awesome thread, I'm going to follow this 👍

Adding wiring and oil pipes etc (mods) WIP.
Aventador-0031.jpg

Dashboard etc added to interior
Aventador-0034.jpg

Increased thickness of the seatbelt clamp thingy (mod)
Aventador-0035.jpg

Heat shielding (mod)
Aventador-0036.jpg

Interior - awaiting metal decal for steering wheel - have been waiting for >1 month :(
Aventador-0038.jpg

Wiring
Aventador-0039.jpg

Carbon fibre struts (carbon = mod) and bare metal foil endings. In the background yellow suspension rubber stop. (mod)
Would you believe it if I told you they're actually fake food pellets for catching fish. They make perfect rubber stops.
Aventador-0041.jpg

My "garage"
Aventador-0042.jpg

Paintbooth with compressor underneath
Aventador-0043.jpg

Various screws and bolts etc.
Aventador-0044.jpg

I'm awaiting a DVD with reference photos etc so I can add more plumbing to the engine and other sections of the car. Scouring the web for ultra thin rubber hoses 0.5mm - 3mm, braided hoses, braided sleeving but either the diameters are too big or they charge you over the top prices for 50cm tubing.
Such a shame that Pocher doesn't add this stuff BUT it does add more fun to come up with ideas how to improve the "Bburago-like" quality of this model.
You sir have what I wish I had...awesome that organization is great as well. This is so cool.

I await the "challenge accepted" meme. :lol:

I recall seeing the Testarossa before, but I didn't realize @AMG. actually had to put them together. :eek: F40's ABSOLUTELY gorgeous! Also loving that Porsche shot. Not sure of the scale of the smaller one(1/18? 1/24?), but the way the big brother dwarfs the smaller one is incredible. 👍

This reaches so many levels of awesome. Incredible.

All that detail work. Seriously sub zero cool

Not sure of the scale of the smaller one(1/18? 1/24?), but the way the big brother dwarfs the smaller one is incredible. 👍

Yeah most of my scale models cars oars over in the Scalemodel thread and the blue Porsche is 1:18.

@TB - nah too scared to put a drill to the fuel cap, it's solid metal,but the Lambo has an opening fuel tank. I wonder who spotted the car key on the Testarossa (the white one has one too), VROOM VROOM :D

These models weigh in excess of 5kgs.

Yeah most of my scale models cars oars over in the Scalemodel thread and the blue Porsche is 1:18.

@TB - nah too scared to put a drill to the fuel cap, it's solid metal,but the Lambo has an opening fuel tank. I wonder who spotted the car key on the Testarossa (the white one has one too), VROOM VROOM :D

These models weigh in excess of 5kgs.

I saw that key in the ignition and the door, just thought it was a bit too obvious to point out. Also I get you'd have difficulty to a great degree trying to cleanly slot out the cap, then rig up a system where it actually opens and still looks like quality work.

Aventador-0046.jpg

Small update - scratch built the oil separator (black piece) and added oil lines.
The spring comes from a ballpoint pen.

The oil lines in post 30 are coming along nicely too.

Aventador-0046.jpg

Small update - scratch built the oil separator (black piece) and added oil lines.
The spring comes from a ballpoint pen.

The oil lines in post 30 are coming along nicely too.
Looks great mate , but if you do a before and after shot. As I don't think a lot of us has intimate knowledge of the lambos engine and small fittings, great build btw .

Will keep in mind - remove oil lines and that black piece and you're left with the original oil tank and an empty bracket which holds the oil separator.

In the build itself perhaps 80-100, looking for parts, cleaning the airbrush, tiding up the desk etc and working on learning how to solder SMDs etc probably another 200 or so, but tough to answer as I haven't really kept track.

I have used the shield from small audio cables as braided hose... something to think about. not the full-size RCA interconnects, but things like the mic cables inside a laptop, something that size.

So here's a WIP result of this oil lines and electric wiring I added to the model.
I applied some blue so you can see what I mean.
On the exhaust braided heat shielding applied
Aventador-0047.jpg

Red and black electric wires added to the AC unit (bottom middle of pic). Also added 2 Coolant lines but they're hidden somewhere in there.
Scratch built a fuel filter and attached 'wiring' to it but again not seen in the pics.

Applied the correct (black) Ohlins decals to springs. Pocher provides white ones. And if you look carefully at the springs you can see red bump stops in there. The springs were repainted - I wasn't happy the first time around.
Aventador-0049.jpg

Painted the axles black and applied BMF to simulate clamps
Aventador-0050.jpg

Several lines still to be attached and scratch built an oil cooler that will sit in the side of the frame. (not pictured here yet)
Just behind the braided section on the exhaust you may spot 2 oxygen sensors (they're tiny) These too are mods.
Aventador-0051.jpg

Aventador-0052.jpg

Routing of oil lines. One goes to the bottom of the oil tank, the others will make their way to the oil cooler in due time.
Between the white oil filter which now also has a decal and the oil tank you'll see that sections of the oil lines have heat shielding applied. Either it's braided nylon sleeve or shrink tubing to achieve the effect.
Aventador-0053.jpg

Aventador-0054.jpg

The spring wire around the oil line is also a scratch build.
The only wiring provided in the kit are the spark plug wires and that thick 'braided' tube you see lying on top of the Valve covers.
Aventador-0055.jpg

Absolutely incredible attention to detail.

It just makes me wonder what is harder, building this or building the real thing!

Thanks to those taking the time to follow this thread and for the 'likes'.

As mentioned earlier I wasn't happy with the CF applied to the X bracket. The CF sections weren't long enough and the decal was old. It fell apart even looking at it. Must have been an old one they sold me - buggers.
Thankfully this decal is better. Also experimenting with burnt heat shield on the muffler.

Comments - thoughts on the muffler?

Aventador-0056.jpg

Moved to the front of the car to create the battery pack etc. Modified the end of the corrugated rubber piece and added black and red wiring to the battery, Used shrink tubing for the connection.
Nearly shorted out the battery when I accidentally touched the red and black ends together. Quite a fright.

Aventador-0057.jpg

Breather box installed.
Warning the 4 lugs that go from top of the engine in to the bottom of the breather box have a distinct pattern. Double, no quadruple check you're putting this piece together (when building the breather box)
Added 4 red labels (tiny) to the wiring on the breather box.
The V12 logo should be back - me being me I opted for white.

Aventador-0059.jpg

Connected some of the lines and on the right hand side you can see the oil radiator (the silver box in the frame with the blueish photoshop tint). 2 lines attached to the left and 2 to the right side.
In the orange circle - modified the part by cutting it off and turning it 90degrees. Typical of Pocher to get it wrong as so many other thing in this kit.
Red circle - scratch build of fuel filter - has 4 hoses attached to it.
Green circle - scratch build of oil separator - mentioned in earlier post.

Aventador-0060.jpg

Below a focus stacked pic.
Aventador-0061.jpg

Below quick and dirty set up of how I took the above pics.
Aventador-0066.jpg

The muffler artistic liberties were inspired on what reference exactly?

If I had to pin point anything I'd say I wish it had more of an actual stainless steel look, but the wrap on it looks realistic. The color doesn't too much though.

Back