Podium DD1 Auction details!

Germany
Germany
Hi everyone,

I’d like to update you on the upcoming auctions for the Podium Wheel Base DD1. We’re starting in Australia on Monday 20th August; other regions will roll out soon.

The auction for Fanatec Australia starts at 8pm AEST. Each unit starts at 1 AUD with no reserve. This is for Australian customers only, but all regions can view the auctions in real-time.

Instructions:

- For those based in Australia wishing to participate, please create a Fanatec account in advance and log in.
- Once active, you’ll see an ‘Enter Auction Page’ button on the DD1 product page, which launches a secure bidding area hosted on Amazon’s servers, which has been thoroughly tested for stability. (Anyone can click this link to watch the bids in real-time.)
- Click to bid as many times as you wish. Each click will bid by a fixed increment of 10 AUD.
- After every new bid is placed, a 90-second timer will reset.
- If there are no new bids after the timer reaches zero, the auction ends, and the winner receives an email with details on how to complete the pre-order.
- The next auction begins immediately, starting at 1 AUD.

Please note:

- Every auction is automatically capped so it will not exceed the region RRP.
- We will ensure that at least 100 units are sold worldwide below the region RRP.
- You will be able to see the previous winning bid values.

Standard pre-orders for both the DD1 and DD2 wheel bases are already available in all regions, but we hope that new auction system demonstrates that we are genuinely giving our customers an opportunity to score a great pre-order price for this cutting-edge sim hardware.

Links to product pages:
https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/wheel...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet
https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/wheel...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet
https://www.fanatec.com/ja-en/wheel...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet
https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/wheel...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

That sounds very diplomatic. So in easy words, you guys got no plan! :) To me, personally it doesn't matter anymore, have already ordered.

That sounds very diplomatic. So in easy words, you guys got no plan! :) To me, personally it doesn't matter anymore, have already ordered.

I dont get the whole auction idea for a product launch? I dont see the benefit of it. Fanatec really needs to hire a better productmanager and planner. Just pick a date. It should not be that hard.

I dont get the whole auction idea for a product launch? I dont see the benefit of it. Fanatec really needs to hire a better productmanager and planner. Just pick a date. It should not be that hard.
The auction system is simply there as a possibility of securing a lower priced pre-order. It is not mandatory, and those not interested can place standard pre-orders for either wheel base. In terms of implementing an auction system, it is actually non trivial due to the way our webshop backend works. It has to synchronise correctly with the Fanatec site (and user accounts), while also running on separate servers to handle the extra load.

Little critic to the website, the side loads very very slow if you try to login. Sometimes it needs some attempts.
Without logging in it works normal. No delay in loading ect.
Maybe its just here, but if not, this is one thing that should work stable to let run the auction system work properly.
Good luck & thanks.

Little critic to the website, the side loads very very slow if you try to login. Sometimes it needs some attempts.
Without logging in it works normal. No delay in loading ect.
Maybe its just here, but if not, this is one thing that should work stable to let run the auction system work properly.
Good luck & thanks.
I've just checked this myself, and I am getting that too. It was working fine for me earlier, so it could just be a temporary issue. I've alerted the relevant people to check this. Thanks for the tip!

The auction system is simply there as a possibility of securing a lower priced pre-order. It is not mandatory, and those not interested can place standard pre-orders for either wheel base. In terms of implementing an auction system, it is actually non trivial due to the way our webshop backend works. It has to synchronise correctly with the Fanatec site (and user accounts), while also running on separate servers to handle the extra load.

Ok, so the goal is to generate some hype via a possibility of securing a lower priced pre-order. Deciding to implement a complicated auction system to achieve this goal seems like madness to me. What does this problematic, frustrating, time consuming, resource intensive system provide that running a simple lottery where the prizes are 1 off discount codes?

Even before the AU auction was attempted it was obvious that the demand for the DD1's was so high that if the auction system had of worked with out issues, every single DD1 offered was going to hit the "slightly discounted" cap. So the same outcome could have been delivered, without the customer frustration and development effort, by having customers enter into a lottery for the chance to win 10% discounts.....

After the absolutely buggy and frustrating AU auction, to not be able to admit that the whole plan was flawed from the start and not worth the effort seems like someone up high in the Fanatec company can't admit that the auction idea was too complicated of a solution for a very simple goal.

Ok, so the goal is to generate some hype via a possibility of securing a lower priced pre-order. Deciding to implement a complicated auction system to achieve this goal seems like madness to me. What does this problematic, frustrating, time consuming, resource intensive system provide that running a simple lottery where the prizes are 1 off discount codes?

Even before the AU auction was attempted it was obvious that the demand for the DD1's was so high that if the auction system had of worked with out issues, every single DD1 offered was going to hit the "slightly discounted" cap. So the same outcome could have been delivered, without the customer frustration and development effort, by having customers enter into a lottery for the chance to win 10% discounts.....

After the absolutely buggy and frustrating AU auction, to not be able to admit that the whole plan was flawed from the start and not worth the effort seems like someone up high in the Fanatec company can't admit that the auction idea was too complicated of a solution for a very simple goal.

I also pointed out the same grievance. A lottery with a large prize and smaller prizes like discounts, is much less complicated to set up and much less confusing for the customers.

аукцион.png

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to confirm that we’re giving our Fanatec Australia customers a second opportunity to participate in an auction for the Podium Wheel Base DD1 on Tuesday 30th October, starting 21:00 AEDT. Other regions will follow, and we’ll make separate updates about that.

As before, each unit starts at 1 AUD with no reserve. This is for Australian customers only, but all regions can view the auctions in real-time.

Instructions:

- For those based in Australia wishing to participate, please create a Fanatec account in advance and log in.
- Once active, you’ll see an ‘Enter Auction Page’ button on the DD1 product page, which launches a secure bidding area hosted on Amazon’s servers, which has been thoroughly tested for stability. (Anyone can click this link to watch the bids in real-time.)
- Click to bid as many times as they wish. Each click automatically increases the price by a fixed increment of 10 AUD.
- After every new bid is placed, a 60-second timer will reset.
- If there are no new bids after the timer reaches zero, the auction ends, and the winner receives an email with details on how to complete the pre-order.
- The next auction begins immediately, starting at 1 AUD.

Please note:

- Every auction is automatically capped so it will not exceed the region RRP.
- There is an unlimited amount of auctions if the Auction ends at 1500 AUD or higher (which is still below the regular price of 1599,90 AUD).
- We will stop the auction event in Australia after 10 Auctions reached an end price below 1500 AUD.

Standard pre-orders for both the DD1 and DD2 wheel bases are already available in all regions, but we hope that the new auction system demonstrates that we are genuinely giving our customers an opportunity to score a great pre-order price for this cutting-edge sim hardware.

Links to product pages:
https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/wheel...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet
https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/wheel...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet
https://www.fanatec.com/ja-en/wheel...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet
https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/wheel...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

Last edited:
The auction idea is great fun, I'm waiting to see what Fanatec has planned for Black Friday this year. No word yet!

Hi everyone,

I’m pleased to confirm that auctions for US and EU customers will commence next week! The auction for the Podium Wheel Base DD1 for Fanatec US customers begins Tuesday 13th November, from 18:00 PST (21:00 EST). This will be followed by the auction for Fanatec Europe, which begins Thursday 15th November, from 19:00 CET (18:00 GMT).

As before, each unit starts at $1 (1€ for Fanatec Europe) with no reserve.

These are the only auction sessions we have planned for these two regions.

Instructions:

- For those based in the relevant region wishing to participate, please create a Fanatec account in advance and log in.
- Click to bid as many times as you wish. Each click automatically increases the price by a fixed increment of $10 (10€).
- The next auction begins immediately, starting at $1 (1€).

Please note:

- There is an unlimited amount of auctions if the auction ends at $970 (970€) or higher (which is still below the regular price of $999.95 (999.95€).
- We will stop the auction sessions after 30 units (for US) and 45 units (for Europe) reach an end price below $970 (970€).
- Any bids above the regular pre-order price are automatically invalid.
- PLEASE BID CAREFULLY. You will be prevented from bidding on another unit if you win an auction, even if this value is above the MSRP.

Standard pre-orders for both the DD1 and DD2 wheel bases are already available in all regions; the auction system is a genuine opportunity for our customers to score a great pre-order price for this cutting-edge sim hardware.

Links to product pages:

Last edited:
Creating a Fanatec account. :D

Account created but haven't received an email yet to unlock my account.

Still no email yet. :odd:

The European auction is with or without VAT, taxes?

More than one hour has passed and still no verification email. Is this a sign that I have to get another DD brand instead of a Fanatec DD wheel? Maybe a FeelVR?

Last edited:
Creating a Fanatec account. :D

Account created but haven't received an email yet to unlock my account.

Still no email yet. :odd:

The European auction is with or without VAT, taxes?

More than one hour has passed and still no verification email. Is this a sign that I have to get another DD brand instead of a Fanatec DD wheel? Maybe a FeelVR?
Have you checked your spam folder? The European auction bid values include VAT.

Hi everyone,

I’m pleased to confirm that auctions for US and EU customers will commence next week! The auction for the Podium Wheel Base DD1 for Fanatec US customers begins Tuesday 13th November, from 18:00 PST (21:00 EST). This will be followed by the auction for Fanatec Europe, which begins Thursday 15th November, from 19:00 CET (18:00 GMT).

As before, each unit starts at $1 (1€ for Fanatec Europe) with no reserve.

These are the only auction sessions we have planned for these two regions.

Instructions:

- For those based in the relevant region wishing to participate, please create a Fanatec account in advance and log in.
- Click to bid as many times as you wish. Each click automatically increases the price by a fixed increment of $10 (10€).
- The next auction begins immediately, starting at $1 (1€).

Please note:

- There is an unlimited amount of auctions if the auction ends at $970 (970€) or higher (which is still below the regular price of $999.95 (999.95€).
- We will stop the auction sessions after 30 units (for US) and 45 units (for Europe) reach an end price below $970 (970€).
- Any bids above the regular pre-order price are automatically invalid.
- PLEASE BID CAREFULLY. You will be prevented from bidding on another unit if you win an auction, even if this value is above the MSRP.

Standard pre-orders for both the DD1 and DD2 wheel bases are already available in all regions; the auction system is a genuine opportunity for our customers to score a great pre-order price for this cutting-edge sim hardware.

Links to product pages:

Thanks for this new info.

Are you able to say when we may see the PS4 compatible podium wheel hit auction? Or even a rough estimate, so I can make sure I have money set aside?

Thanks for this new info.

Are you able to say when we may see the PS4 compatible podium wheel hit auction? Or even a rough estimate, so I can make sure I have money set aside?
There are no plans to put the Podium Racing Wheel on auction. This product will become available for standard pre-order just like the DD1 and DD2... soon. :)

There are no plans to put the Podium Racing Wheel on auction. This product will become available for standard pre-order just like the DD1 and DD2... soon. :)

Ah, ok, didn't realise that wasn't going to auction.

Final questions...how soon is "soon" :lol:

But seriously, is there any indication on the estimated cost of the Podium Racing Wheel? It's going to be a lot of money and it'd be great if you're able to indicate a rough price so I can start getting ready for last minute saving.

£1,250?
£1,500?

Just a rough guestimate would be so helpful.

Ah, ok, didn't realise that wasn't going to auction.

Final questions...how soon is "soon" :lol:

But seriously, is there any indication on the estimated cost of the Podium Racing Wheel? It's going to be a lot of money and it'd be great if you're able to indicate a rough price so I can start getting ready for last minute saving.

£1,250?
£1,500?

Just a rough guestimate would be so helpful.
I'm sorry BrakeCheck101, I can't answer these questions. But I think you can come to your own reasonable price estimate based on the information we've provided about the product so far.

@DomB_Fanatec how much is the transport cost for a DD1 base to North East Belgium approximately?
Based on weight/size it should be somewhere around €30. If Hasselt is ok ;)

Weight Based Shipping and Handling with VAT
UPS Standard shipment "No Saturday Delivery – Delivery Monday to Friday!" (Weight: 18.72kg) 30.16€
UPS Express Saver shipment "No Saturday Delivery – Delivery Monday to Friday!" (Weight: 18.72kg) 53.78€

Back