Points system to be replaced?

• Thread starter Danny
  • 356 comments
610x.jpg

:confused:

And BE doesn't decide the scoring system. Exactly.

The FIA didn't find it hard to blame the FOM over the decision ;)

Lets just say that Bernie has a large influence on what the FIA does. And reading Max and Co's comments, it seems he decieved the FIA into thinking the teams had agreed (but this is according to the FIA, so a pinch of salt should be taken).

I think what really happened is, seeing as Flavio was all for the idea, that Bernie asked Flav, he said "sounds good" and Bernie then got it into his head that because Flavio is obviously the sole voice for FOTA, all the teams felt the same way.
That or Bernie lied intentionally or just showed his age and/or his insanity.

Either way, some revenge will be in order for FOTA, and I can see the diffusers being the next battle, as Max will attempt to split FOTA over it, failing that, he's already done a good job with the budget rules for 2010....
Inevitable FIA/FOM vs. FOTA war anyone?

Logic and reason have returned to the pitlane!
That very idea is ludicrous. Formula 1 has not been about logic or reason since I started watching in 1992 :lol:.

I'm glad the rule was overturned. It was a weird idea, almost as asinine as NASCAR's "Chase". Can we just get to racing, already?

SUPER NUMBBER
I'm ROFLing at this guy on ESPN:
Ah yes, the Matt Kenseth argument again (won the NASCAR Nextel Cup championship in '03, winning 1 race out of 36). With stupid rules like these, the message is this: if you don't have a chance to win the race, don't even bother showing up. If you ain't first, you're last :rolleyes:.

"The whole idea is nothing to do with winning the world championship, the idea was to make sure people raced in every race to win, not to be second or third and collect points."

So the championship is some kind of sideshow?

I'm getting tired of this geezer.

Topographically, they all are, aren't they? Except Suzuka, which is a mobius strip.

With the new aero-regs, that's not going to happen any time soon, sadly. :lol:

I think in this case it's Mosley who's to blame. He didn't like the veto from FOTA.

In fact, a war has started because of that. FIA (Max) and FOM (Bernie) vs. the teams.

And they (FIA and FOM) will probably win, it's easy to divide the teams when you have so much power that you can use and when you can consider how fragile is the teams unity, because the teams, although they share common interests, have also a battle between themselves for the championship.

It was always going to happen....the FIA only delayed the introduction of the rule after the teams vetoed it, and the teams only got away with that because it was too close to the season for rule changes without their permission (and Bernie hadn't actually asked them all).
So it isn't being "revived".

But I agree its still a rediculous idea.

It wouldn't be so bad if all the drivers had to use the same chassis and engine. Then the best drivers would run at the front and win the races anyway.

F1 isn't like that though. So it's totally unfair on a driver who has not quite the best car but makes up for it with consistency.

Last edited:
As much as people bang on about it being the ultimate of motorsports and it being a test of the best drivers...really F1 is all about the test of the engineers and team management just as much as drivers and its what makes it stand out from other sports in that its a team game with a lot of personality to it. This is why its rediculous to suddenly shift all of the focus on to the drivers and specifically only the ones that win when the interesting parts of F1 usually happen in the midfield.

"F1 is the peak of open wheel racing. Open wheel racing is about coming to a race with a good car, setting it up to be better, and driving it to be the best. If we have a win based system, drivers who slip up in any of these are okay, as long as they do fine at every other weekend."

Isn't that stupid? I mean, consistency should be rewarded. I say stick with points!

There is still plenty of hope they'll cancel the system.

That, and the fact that we can enjoy one of the best on-track seasons in quite a while - though I doubt we'll see a finish as close as in past years, we'll have some magnificent racing at the moment.

There is still plenty of hope they'll cancel the system.

That, and the fact that we can enjoy one of the best on-track seasons in quite a while - though I doubt we'll see a finish as close as in past years, we'll have some magnificent racing at the moment.
You know, I'm willing to bet that even if Button won every race this year and Barrichello finished second on every occasion - almost like back in the early 1990s when the Williams drivers were so dominant that you basically watched to see who wuld come third - people will still applaud 2009 as one of the best seasons in the sport's sixty-year history simply because Brawn were something of a come-from behind underdog and it's not the Usual Suspects who are winning anything.

That's great news. F1 will live longer as long as bernie doesn't turn it into ****.

Back