[POLL] Bernie Ecclestone Trial

• Thread starter Jaywalker
  • 64 comments

What do you think will happen to Bernie Ecclestone?

• He'll be found innocent

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Guilty - Big fine

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Guilty - Suspended sentence

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Guilty - Jail time

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a millionare, rich people don't get in trouble with money, he will be innocent.

OJ Simpson wasn't charged with fraud.

Personally, I believe the worst that will happen to Bernie is that he'll get a massive multi-million euro fine, but at his age it's unlikely he'll serve any jail time.

I'm more interested in why you think any of us are in any position to offer an informed opinion when none of us are in any position to review any evidence offered by either side, much less all of it.

Meh. It was a casual question about what people THINK, not what they KNOW.

Your very conservative OP didn't exactly help. I didn't know this was even going on until I saw this thread, and actually opening it didn't educate me any more on the matter either.

Kind of hard to form an opinion about something without having any knowledge of the subject first, don't you think? And as an ongoing criminal trial, details of evidence will not be released to the public. So all this is going to amount to is a discussion of Ecclestone's perceived innocence or guilt based upon his previous, unrelated actions.

To both pm & Peter: I would have thought that anyone on this particular forum would be interested in F1 & therefore aware of Bernies troubles? :)

Last edited:
You think correctly. The problem is that you are asking people to make a judgement about something based on something we cannot possibly know about. We have no access to any of the evidence being presented by either side of the case; all we have is what is presented by the media, which is oftentimes a biased or second-hand source.

No judgements requested, just guesses. Kinda like: Who do you think will win between the equally matched teams A & B in the footies game tomorrow?

Last edited:
If by "kind of like", you mean "not at all", then yes; I wholeheartedly agree with you.

See, when it comes to comparing football teams, you can draw on a wealth of information - their nominated starting line-up, past performances, any injury concerns, and so on and so forth.

But here, you are asking people to pass an opinion on the potential outcome of Ecclestone's trial. And to do that, we need access to the evidence - which we don't have.

prisonermonkey do you not understand the concept of a discussion? If unknowns were never discussed and debated then the human race wouldn't have got anywhere. If you don't want to be a part of it then don't be, rather than trolling the thread with your elitist views on what other people should be discussing.

We already know quite a lot about the trial from the last one and from Gribkowsky's. I've already made my mind up on whether he's guilty or not but I haven't a clue what will happen in the case. This time his lawyers have to do the talking for him so it'll be harder for him to hide behind the 'frail old confused man' image like he did in the UK trial. I'd be shocked if he got a not guilty verdict, but even more shocked if a guilty verdict brings anything more than a fine/suspended sentence. Hopefully this will be CVC's excuse to finally kick him out of the sport

If by "kind of like", you mean "not at all", then yes; I wholeheartedly agree with you.

See, when it comes to comparing football teams, you can draw on a wealth of information - their nominated starting line-up, past performances, any injury concerns, and so on and so forth.

But here, you are asking people to pass an opinion on the potential outcome of Ecclestone's trial. And to do that, we need access to the evidence - which we don't have.

Oh gawd. Whatever... :rolleyes:

Hopefully this will be CVC's excuse to finally kick him out of the sport
And this exemplifies everything that is wrong with a discussion about a criminal case without any evidence: you decided his guilt well in advance of the actual trial, and for reasons that are wholly unrelated to said trial.

Your very conservative OP didn't exactly help. I didn't know this was even going on until I saw this thread, and actually opening it didn't educate me any more on the matter either.

Fixed the OP for you, mate. ;)

And this exemplifies everything that is wrong with a discussion about a criminal case without any evidence: you decided his guilt well in advance of the actual trial, and for reasons that are wholly unrelated to said trial.

I didn't actually list the reasons why I've made my mind up so you can't say they are unrelated. The part you quoted is unrelated to the trial, I'd be saying he should go whether he's on trial or not. Above all it doesn't matter, it's a discussion (it's what forums are for) and it will have no effect on the case itself. If we were members of the jury then fair enough.

Anyway this is a pointless debate, the thread is about Ecclestone's trial, not the merits of discussing ongoing criminal proceedings.

this is a pointless debate, the thread is about Ecclestone's trial, not the merits of discussing ongoing criminal proceedings.
As Ecclestone's trial is an ongoing criminal proceeding, surely you recognise that the ability to discuss it without being able to refer to evidence is an issue that needs to be considered.

As Ecclestone's trial is an ongoing criminal proceeding, surely you recognise that the ability to discuss it without being able to refer to evidence is an issue that needs to be considered.
Ok then. Let's stop discussing or thinking about everything with no evidence:rolleyes:.

Why are you so against this? This is just a guess of what will happen, is that really so bad?

Why are you so against this?
Because everyone will assume Bernie is guilty because he is unpopular, but, should circumstances play out in such a way that he remains in control of Formula 1, those people will demand to know why, referring back to their faulty assumption that he was guilty. They will look stupid, but they will then go on the offensive. Because it's well-known that interest forums can see justice served where the criminal courts fail, even when the courts have done nothing wrong.

We have already seen this ignorance in action, with someone expressing hope that CVC would take the trial as an excuse to remove Ecclestone from his position, even though the sale of the sport to CVC was the most unpopular move made by Bernie, and nothing would change under new management. Which really goes to show that empty vessels make the most sound. If you can't educate yourself on a subject, don't try to pass an expert opinion. And since the courts don't disclose any evidence, we cannot educate ourselves on the subject. So all we're going to end up with is a group of people who clearly have no idea what they are talking about going on the offensive because they were wrong.

If people are going to go on the offensive without evidence, that's their problem for being a moron:lol:. I do see what your saying, but I still think that taking a guess won't hurt;).

What is your point? Your baseless speculation is as good as mine.

I never offered an opinion. I merely asked what people think the outcome of the trial will be.

Because everyone will assume Bernie is guilty because he is unpopular,...

That's quite sad, since he's actually a very polite, accommodating guy & he made F1 what it is today.

Last edited:
That's quite sad, since he's actually a very polite, accommodating guy & he made F1 what it is today.
I agree. The sport never would have grown the way it did were it not for him. But too many people like to characterise him as money-grubbing dictator who colluded with others to wrest control of the sport from its rightful owners, the teams (which would never work; we have seen countless instances of teams going back on their word and/or principles the moment it suited them). He has made some unpopular decisions in the past, and I think it is unfortunate that some people will go out of their way to make sure history remembers him as a tyrant who did more harm than good simply because he sought new markets rather than religiously observing the "heritage" of out-dated European venues.

DK
OJ Simpson wasn't charged with fraud.
That's not the point. He said people with money don't get in trouble, which is false.

He said, "rich people don't get in trouble with money". I thought he was referring to the lack of prosecutions for white-collar crime among the rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back