[POLL] Best car for the Nostalgic 1979 races

• Thread starter Lukanyon
  • 34 comments

Which car should I buy for the Nostalgic 1979 races?

• 330 P4

Votes: 68 70.8%
  • Jaguar XJ13

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Mk. IV

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Cobra Daytona

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • 250 GTO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alfa TZ2

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Aston Martin DB3S

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Brazil
São Paulo
Corredor_Y
I'm gonna grind. :guilty:
I don't like to grind but I'm gonna grind. :guilty::(
I've noticed that you can use the TZ2 for these races but I don't think it's going to be competitive.
So I ask the wealthy people of GTPlanet: what's the best car I can buy for these races?
Thanks in advance :gtpflag:

I'm gonna grind. :guilty:
I don't like to grind but I'm gonna grind. :guilty::(
I've noticed that you can use the TZ2 for these races but I don't think it's going to be competitive.
So I ask the wealthy people of GTPlanet: what's the best car I can buy for these races?
Thanks in advance :gtpflag:

330, XJ13 and Mk.IV are fast enough to win these races stock. 330 P4 in particular is so light, that weight reduction gives you barely 20 additional kilos to reduce, which is insignificant, so you can save on Mileage Points and spend them on Power upgrades

Cobra Daytona and 250 GTO are too slow stock, but can be competitive with power/weight upgrades

Haven't tried TZ2 yet, so can't say anything on that one, but from its stats it looks like it is even slower than Daytona, so will defo need upgrades

As for upgrades, btw: these cars require A LOT of Mileage Points to upgrade them:
~5k for Stage 2
~7k for Stage 3
~9k for Stage 4
~12.5k for Stage 5
So save up as much as you can

Good luck

How about a comparison between the 330P4 and the Ford MkIV? I've got the 330 and would like to try the Ford on my alternate account, but I don't want to blow all my credits on a car I don't really like. I've heard the Ford is fast in a straight line, how does it corner?

The event isn’t even a challenge when you have the 330P4 at your disposal. Now, the Cobra on the other hand. That’s like this event’s hard mode. While the TZ2 is impossible to win stock.

The Cobra is a challenge here, so I usually roll with it (the sound is awesome) - but the XJ13 is a beautiful car and can easily win, so if I just want to get in a quick win, it's the XJ13. Don't have the 330 anymore, and don't miss it, wish I could have donated it to someone else who might appreciate it.

The Ferrari is best, but it can be done with the Jaguar, I did, as it’s the only one I have :)

Do you have the 3 fastest cars? I do, I think the Ford Mark is the best, it drives and brakes much better than the 330 but so does the Jag. The only people really qualified to answer are those that own most or all of these cars. I have $18 million credits right now a d only need the Daytona and Alfa

I have them all and they are all good, but it is so hard to decide which is the best one, so I say between the Jaguar XJ13 & the Ferrari 330 P4 '67 but it is to close too call.

I have them all as well, all upgraded. Clearly the 330 is the beast of the bunch for me , the Ford and Jag are slightly behind , it's the weight difference.
350km/h no draft, 375km/h drafting , if speed is your thing, :lol:

Last edited:
I have them all as well, all upgraded. Clearly the 330 is the beast of the bunch for me , the Ford and Jag are slightly behind , it's the weight difference.
350km/h no draft, 372km/h drafting , if speed is your thing, :lol:

Without doing any real setup tuning I've had the Jag up to 229mph in a draft (368km/h), runs at about 219mph on it's own (352km/h). This is of course, fully upgraded. Still haven't broken the 7:00 minute barrier at La Sarthe. First lap is nearly always a 3:35, second lap is about 3:30... the penalty if going for a clean race bonus and having traffic in the wrong places.

I won the XJ13 and also have the 250GTO and Cobra.

The XJ13 is an easy win stock, but both the 250GTO and Cobra can win with a power upgrade (to about 450-460bhp) and as long as the AI 330 doesn't start right at the front.

My favourite is the Cobra.

Without doing any real setup tuning I've had the Jag up to 229mph in a draft (368km/h), runs at about 219mph on it's own (352km/h). This is of course, fully upgraded. Still haven't broken the 7:00 minute barrier at La Sarthe. First lap is nearly always a 3:35, second lap is about 3:30... the penalty if going for a clean race bonus and having traffic in the wrong places.
I've run a 6.47.5 so far but still lots of room for improvement. You are going fast enough for sure to be well under 7 minutes. I really like doing the quick 10 second change the racing field option . chasing down a faster leader gets your times down in a hurry. :)

I've run a 6.47.5 so far but still lots of room for improvement. You are going fast enough for sure to be well under 7 minutes. I really like doing the quick 10 second change the racing field option . chasing down a faster leader gets your times down in a hurry. :)

Not sure I'll get 6:47 out of the Jag unless there's a bad ass tune I'm missing out on! I'm relatively cautious through traffic and with track limits, for the sake of the bonus - think my fastest lap is about a 3:28ish.

It's finally here, guys!!!

PS_Messages_20180930_150130.jpg

Thank you all for the help deciding the best one! :gtpflag:

Love the Cobra. I haven't even tuned it. Just stock and run the races. Sounds so good and running with the other Daytonas, passing the 250 GTOs, is awesome. 15MIL well spent!

Last edited:
Since I just bought the Ford, I can say it's pretty nice. It has a bit of understeer, and just four gears, but can win the races all the same as the Ferrari.

Overall, I think between the two, the Ferrari might be more of a better overall tool for the job.

330 by default, since it was a gift. I couldn't help but put a NART inspired blue and white livery on it, though! It doesn't hurt that the car is a joy to drive...

I won the XJ13 and also have the 250GTO and Cobra.

The XJ13 is an easy win stock, but both the 250GTO and Cobra can win with a power upgrade (to about 450-460bhp) and as long as the AI 330 doesn't start right at the front.

My favourite is the Cobra.

58 wins... no social life ? ;):lol:

It's finally here, guys!!!

View attachment 769720

Thank you all for the help deciding the best one! :gtpflag:

Happy driving! I still have none of the expensive cars yet lol.

I've now got 16 million (only taken nearly 2 months!!) and "soon" will be able to buy a Nostalgia car. The poll here has the Ferrari as top pick, yet back in the days of GT5 it was the Jaguar

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/poll-the-gt5-20-million-dollar-club.366419/

As it will be a long, long time before I can afford 2 (and there are plenty of Gr. 1 cars I have my eye on too!) I am in a bit of a bind which one to buy.... any advice welcome!!

I've now got 16 million (only taken nearly 2 months!!) and "soon" will be able to buy a Nostalgia car. The poll here has the Ferrari as top pick, yet back in the days of GT5 it was the Jaguar

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/poll-the-gt5-20-million-dollar-club.366419/

As it will be a long, long time before I can afford 2 (and there are plenty of Gr. 1 cars I have my eye on too!) I am in a bit of a bind which one to buy.... any advice welcome!!
We ran a nostalgic car series in Jan, the 330 is hands down the front runner. Also the only one I don't have :ouch:

We ran a nostalgic car series in Jan, the 330 is hands down the front runner. Also the only one I don't have :ouch:
Thanks for the reply and the heads up.
Only issue for me is I haven't liked driving any of the Ferraris I have so far. The LaFerrari is, to me, weird. Really don't like it at all. Hopefully the 330 will be better. Did the Jag do OK in the series??

Ford was the worst of the 3 as it was a handful and just didn't corner as well as the others. Jag was mid ground and handled pretty well stock. The Ferrari is just so light and nimble compared to the others and that's what makes it stand out.

Ford was the worst of the 3 as it was a handful and just didn't corner as well as the others. Jag was mid ground and handled pretty well stock. The Ferrari is just so light and nimble compared to the others and that's what makes it stand out.
Thanks, really helpful 👍

MMX
@seadog777 The Jag is a good car, and wins easily.

Thanks, I was hoping it would be good too.... I kinda' like Jags! :cheers:

Thanks for the reply and the heads up.
Only issue for me is I haven't liked driving any of the Ferraris I have so far. The LaFerrari is, to me, weird. Really don't like it at all. Hopefully the 330 will be better. Did the Jag do OK in the series??

I have all 6 or 7 of the very expensive cars. I bought the 330 first because everyone said it was the best and bought the Jag 2nd. I was pleasantly surprised with the Jag, I think it handles better than the 330, in fact I had to search for 330 tunes before I found one that made me finally start to like the car.

Back