Poll - Critique of PD's Stewardship in FIA Events

• Thread starter dabz343
  • 15 comments

What is your assessment of PD's stewardship in FIA events and what improvements do you recommend?

• Keep it exactly as is

• Only minor tweaks

• Some glaring issues beyond nip-n-tuck

• Systemic problems requiring an overhaul

• I don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.

dabz343

(Banned)
United States
United States
dabz343
LET'S GIVE PD SOME HONEST FEEDBACK FROM THEIR FANS

For Reference--Stewardship of GTS Event and FIA F1 Event

I voted minor tweaks as the drivers are under pressure with just 6 laps. With the first incident, I think the Mercedes was anticipating the Lexus to leave some room as the Mercedes didn't slow, but left adequate room. Also, for a tournament driver, the half-spin was more than controllable with that nudge which all made it a bit melodramatic. I've seen drivers in front getting nudged in 50/50 incidents before and backing off, making the incident look worse.

I do find it a little surprising how much footage PD must be able to collect and how little of this they release. Every driver has a full replay and all the associated features that come with these. There are so many incidents that happen each round, and they have the resources to make an further videos. There could be a series of post race videos - that could highlight a variety of perspectives from each round?

Add a few pre and post race interviews, some statistics and other information - and then PD could have quite an interesting series of programmes. Which would almost certainly pay for itself with YouTube views.

IMO, the problem isn't with the stewarding. It's the format of the races and collision physics. With longer races, drivers won't be so desperate to overtake every corner. Collision physics need to be improved so cars don't just bounce off each other like rubber balls. Mechanical damage should be added and be as punishing as real life. Then we'll see proper true to life racing and people will think twice before doing stupid moves. These drivers are the best in the world, they can take longer races and realistic damage. As it stands, it's basically FIA World RX on tarmac. I'm not surprised it turns out the way it is, and no amount of time penalty is going to help because the punishment is less severe than the impact on the crashed driver.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised it turns out the way it is, and no amount of penalty is going to help either.

Physical damage is a form of penalty so I don't understand how you think damage would change things yet technical penalties would not. Your point just doesn't make logical sense. The only difference between physical damage and a technical penalty is the severity of the consequence, so by saying that mechanical damage would change things, you're saying that bigger consequences are needed from the penalties.

Physical damage is a form of penalty so I don't understand how you think damage would change things yet technical penalties would not. Your point just doesn't make logical sense. The only difference between physical damage and a technical penalty is the severity of the consequence, so by saying that mechanical damage would change things, you're saying that bigger consequences are needed from the penalties.

Amended my original post for further clarity. Basically as you said, the time penalties are not severe enough. The guy who gets punted loses out a lot more in the majority of cases, so it's not an effective deterrent. Sure the person having time penalty is also losing out, but that's not going to help the crashed guy recover his race (not unless they slow the crasher and wait till the whole pack passes, but I can't see that happening). What mechanical damage does is put a real and tangible consequence of stupid driving in the back of their minds, and will be much more effective deterrent to bad driving than a time penalty that may only be 0.5 secs if you hit the car in an exact way. I hope that makes it clear 👍

I feel the stewarding got the calls right, especially the important calls. The settings for the races is what is causing most of the issues, and would like to see full damage implemented, which should calm some of the more out there moves. I would like to see full damage return to FIA events in general with the way the penalty system is currently.

I couldn't possibly have a more negative opinion of the World Tour stewards after the news broke that Deafsun was threatened with a live event ban for doing nothing whilst other drivers were let off the hook for incidents that actually changed the outcome of the event. Throw in more penalties that the viewers never saw the reasoning behind (Chevrolet/Portilla) and a commentary botch on the final decision that was otherwise handled correctly and you've got a major farce that needs to be improved on before New York.

Being a steward is a very difficult job to get right, I certainly wouldn’t want that responsibility, so respect to those who do take it on.

I partially agree with legend’s post above, about the contact physics being way too bouncy. For me, this is creating at least 2 major negative outcomes:

1. Every minor contact feels, to the “victim”, like an intentional punt, due to the x100 severity over reality, thanks to what the code decides happens upon any contact. This creates unnecessary human drama (!) and potentially unnecessary retaliation.

2. Every minor contact, to an fia steward, looks x100 worse than it would in reality, for the same reason, overly bouncy contact physics.

This contact physics coding should allow for more realistic rubbing door handle to door handle side by side through a corner and, if there is contact directly from the front of 1 car to another, the victim should not be sent directly to Narnia.

You are 100% correct.

In a world where there are no REAL dangers at stake (like DEATH, or losing your drive within the team, losing your FIA license, etc) damage is nothing more than added visual fidelity. That pendulum swings both ways. For instance, that first turn incident at Monza (which, btw, I don't think it was deserving of a penalty). Would have/should have ended the race for most of the cars in that carnage.

I don't think there would be many people who would take retirement for themselves over a penalty for some culprit, which allows them to continue racing.

Damage is a two way street. So what would be the saving grace for those damaged severely by someone? Would they be reset on track? If so, then we go back to square one where damage is pointless beyond the visuals.

I'm all for damage because I think the game would be more immersive with bits of car flying around!! But I have no belief that it would solve any issues. Remember that most "damage" would come from the ensuing calamity. The person setting it in motion would likely come away with nothing more than a few scratches.

I wonder how many people watch racing beyond F1, where slight damage is catastrophic. Yesterday's GT race at Misano was a great example of how much contact (and track limit infractions) actually happen. I don't recall any penalties being handed out.

Last edited:
There is a good/detailed article on PD's stewardship of the recent FIA GTS Live Event from GTP. Looks like the some drivers are justifiably not happy with current operations.

Come on PD, listen to your fans.

i heared from Tidgney after his "this need to change" video, which some of PD saw, that they find it funny to release a video? (Tidge pls confirm if you want)

I think that is very arrogant from them...
There have been events where they asked the starplayers / Live Event Contendors, what can be improve. I'm pretty sure they told them what could be improved. But they didn't... in some cases they even did the oppsite (in terms of tyrewear, fuel con., etc.)

A huge part of the GTS Community is in the mind state of "they don't listen anyway" already... to tell someone the video is "funny" would have bummed me, at least...

i heared from Tidgney after his "this need to change" video, which some of PD saw, that they find it funny to release a video? (Tidge pls confirm if you want)

I think that is very arrogant from them...
[...]

A huge part of the GTS Community is in the mind state of "they don't listen anyway" already... to tell someone the video is "funny" would have bummed me, at least...
FWIW, note that the Japanese adjective 面白い (pronounced "omoshiroi") can mean either "funny" or "interesting". It's possible something was lost in translation there.

Back