POLL - Do you think DR reset at SR C is fair?

• Thread starter Haitauer
  • 69 comments

Do you think DR reset at SR C is fair?

• Yes - you deserve it you dirty old..

Votes: 51 72.9%
  • No! - people just have bad days and all is forgiven..

Votes: 19 27.1%

• Total voters
The DR reset system caused a problem in this daily race I drove:

We can see the brake lights don't light up on the car that causes the lap 1 carnage. Looking at the driver's history on K', I can only conclude that they frequently intentionally tank their SR to cause a DR reset so they can win lots of races. There's no way someone who has had a 52k DR is that incompetent.

It makes no sense at all to have a system where people are motivated to ruin races in this way. Given that anyone can, if they want, tank their SR to reset their DR, it would be better to simply allow people to manually reset their DR to achieve the same end result without races being ruined.

However, I think it still wouldn't be right to allow people to choose to keep beating weaker drivers. I've seen people suggest that DR should work like a ratchet, going up but never down, and I can certainly see the merits of that in preventing the above behaviour. However, I think it would cause new problems where it would motivate people to do whatever it takes to try to ratchet their DR up some more. Another approach would be to add a 3rd parameter on top of DR and SR. DR and SR would work like they do now, but the 3rd parameter would work like the ratchet and be used for matchmaking so you can lose DR but it would never cause you to get matched against weaker drivers.

I looked at the leaderboard for races won, here:

https://www.jasonguernsey.net/gts/leaderboards

I suspect this strategy of tanking SR to reset DR is common among the people on the leaderboard. The person in my race above is 195th. This is the person who has won more races in GTS than anyone else:

https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1100055

Ridiculous, they really need to put a stop to this rubbish.
My god, this guy seriously needs a hug and some friends to encourage him to try and be a better human being.

However, I think it still wouldn't be right to allow people to choose to keep beating weaker drivers. I've seen people suggest that DR should work like a ratchet, going up but never down, and I can certainly see the merits of that in preventing the above behaviour. However, I think it would cause new problems where it would motivate people to do whatever it takes to try to ratchet their DR up some more. Another approach would be to add a 3rd parameter on top of DR and SR. DR and SR would work like they do now, but the 3rd parameter would work like the ratchet and be used for matchmaking so you can lose DR but it would never cause you to get matched against weaker drivers.

As it works at the moment with the resets, the area of high DR with low SR is missing, unpopulated. I see no problem in having people in there - they'd keep their DR points and maybe just have their DR letter limited by SR. That type of racer needs a place to go so they don't keep bothering everybody else!

Of course it wouldn't be effective while it's possible to go from 0 SR to 100 SR and back again in an evening, so I still see that as the main problem.

The DR reset system caused a problem in this daily race I drove:

We can see the brake lights don't light up on the car that causes the lap 1 carnage. Looking at the driver's history on K', I can only conclude that they frequently intentionally tank their SR to cause a DR reset so they can win lots of races. There's no way someone who has had a 52k DR is that incompetent.

It makes no sense at all to have a system where people are motivated to ruin races in this way. Given that anyone can, if they want, tank their SR to reset their DR, it would be better to simply allow people to manually reset their DR to achieve the same end result without races being ruined.

That's the thing about competitive games, people fool themselves into believing they are great because they rack up a lot of wins but they gain them in an unscrupulous way, it's a joke, their wins essentially count for nothing. It's the equivalent of believing you are the greatest solitaire player because you win every hand while making illegal moves to do so. I dont know that a hug would even help people like that, a 5 year wouldn't be proud of winning with integrity like that.

I hate it too, it makes the poles and wins statistics a bit meaningless. But we can take solace in the fact that we have kudos to expose how truly garbage players like that are.

I hate it too, it makes the poles and wins statistics a bit meaningless. But we can take solace in the fact that we have kudos to expose how truly garbage players like that are.
The problem, though, is that even though I'm not impressed by their win statistics, some other people came off very badly in my race above. An A rated driver, who was taken out by the driver looking to tank their SR to reset their DR to get more wins, finished 8th, behind 4 B rated drivers. I assume that had a pretty bad effect on their DR. And seeing what happened, even though I benefited from it and gained 600 DR, has made me not want to race online any more, as it seems pointless if races are going to be decided by people deliberately ramming other people off the track, actively seeking a DR reset. PD needs to come up with a change ASAP that removes the incentive to do this. It's arguably higher priority than improving the penalty system as these people actively want to be penalised, so a perfect penalty system wouldn't change their behaviour at all.

I agree, but theirs always going to be some way to game the system no matter what PD does. To me, it seems fair to suspend players from sport mode for a week or so if they are constantly dropping their SR that low. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I do everything I can to keep my SR maxed out to avoid people like this, although sometimes **** happens. But I very rarely see idiots in SR S in my region or in emea.

Last edited:
I agree, but theirs always going to be some way to game the system no matter what PD does.
I have some ideas for how SR could be used to affect outcomes such that I'm currently unable to think of a way that people could game it. I'm not going to post my ideas here because of what has been said about how that would mean PD couldn't implement them. So I'll leave it at having explained the problem and will have to hope they are able to independently come up with the solution that I have.

It sucks to be honest.

I went away for a few weeks, and came back at DR 35,000ish

A A for both ratings & raced the C race this week a few times, and there's so many stupid penalties given out there for not just "corner cutting" but recovering onto the track and crossing the kerbs, or running two wheels over the track edge, its ridiculous.

Not to mention outbraking yourself, and then dealing with just the general dirtiness of drivers in the midpack.

Ended up at SR C after 3 races there & reset to 15K, wtf.

Latest Posts

Back