Poll: Do you think PD should release 2 Gran Turismo games every console generations?

Do you think PD should release 2 Gran Turismo games per console generation again?

• Total voters
If they keep updating GT7 (not only content,but also physics,graphics etc.) even with payed dlc's, for me it's ok to have 1 game per gen
I agree, if PD keep updating GT7 adding new cars, tracks and events they can keep it interesting in theory. Mix smaller more regular DLC's with the occasional larger update and I think people would keep playing for years.

It may come down to money, if they think that releasing GT8 on the PS5 will be more profitable then that's what they may choose to do. But its not neccassary for a second game from a fans perspective if GT7 get's treated right post launch.

Last edited:
I had A 2 year buy in on IRacing Don’t remember the cost . Then It’s cost me about $700 to upgrade my PC to Get most of the content to work at 1080p with a Needed reboot at the wrong time, Then wait for a race.
Then PS4 Pro came out with GTS I paid about $450 and played at 4K. No reboots ever. Just racing with a few Server issues. Guess what I never look back to see what am I missing.

What you're missing is the point. It's not about you, I'm sure you greatly appreciate a cheap way to get an iRacing type experience that doesn't require any sort of computer aptitude. But why would Polyphony and Sony, who are primarily in the business of making money, want to change their game that sells millions of copies to appeal more to an audience that is at best a few hundred thousand? That doesn't seem like any sort of good business sense.

I agree, if PD keep updating GT7 adding new cars, tracks and events they can keep it interesting in theory. Mix smaller more regular DLC's with the occasional larger update and I think people would keep playing for years.

It may come down to money, if they think that releasing GT8 on the PS5 will be more profitable then that's what they may choose to do. But its not neccassary for a second game from a fans perspective if GT7 get's treated right post launch.

I guess it ends up being a choice between two iterations, or one with major season passes/expansions. Essentially they end up being functionally the same, although whichever one you end up with it will be because Sony and Polyphony have data that suggests that more people will end up paying more money through that business model.

I voted for 2 games: One right in the start of a new generation, and a second game, mid to 3/4 of end of generation, refining,besting, adding some features near full console capacity. In both cases, 2 to 3 years of support (even if it includes some paid DLC).

The first person shooter formula is highly successful as well, but there's been significant innovation in that genre over the last twenty years. Nobody thinks that OG Doom was the pinnacle of all that could be achieved with that style, despite it being hugely successful to this day.

I think the argument that GT sells well and so therefore it doesn't need to improve is weak. I can see the appeal of that if you're a developer, you can look at how GameFreak has handled the Pokemon games if you want to see that taken to a logical extreme. It's gotta be real easy to hack together the same old assets and squeeze out another installment for a fat paycheck. But as a consumer, I don't understand it. If a good game is good, then surely a better game would be great.

To be clear, I don't think that you're specifically making that argument, but it's the undercurrent behind what many people say when they echo sentiments like your first sentence. And it's how we end up with people hoping that we get a game that's 2001 game design with shinier graphics.

Why would Polyphony, with a game series that sells ten million copies per installment, want to take a bite out of iRacing, with an active userbase of ~150,000? That's like McDonald's saying that it's main competition is Joe's Fish 'n Chips. Gran Turismo exists to sell hardware for Sony, and that means appealing to more people than the turbonerds like me who play iRacing.
I'm honestly not a huge fan of single player campaign like the one in GT6. It's incredibly dull and uninspired. PD can learn a lot from other racing games like Grid Autosport and Project Cars. Heck, they can even incorporate the Sport mode FIA championship into single player instead of those boring chase the rabbit races. But judging by the comments on youtube and social medias, it seems to me that the same old boring stuff the fans want. I don't blame them

I'm honestly not a huge fan of single player campaign like the one in GT6. It's incredibly dull and uninspired. PD can learn a lot from other racing games like Grid Autosport and Project Cars. Heck, they can even incorporate the Sport mode FIA championship into single player instead of those boring chase the rabbit races. But judging by the comments on youtube and social medias, it seems to me that the same old boring stuff the fans want. I don't blame them

Agreed. I like the careers for Autosport and pCARS very much. I'll also throw in the latest F1 201X games, which I think do a remarkable job of providing an engaging career considering the limitations they have on car choice compared to other games. I think it shows that there's a ton of ways that one can do a single player career, plus probably more that haven't been tried. But Gran Turismo sticks with "list of events to win" like this is still Vanilla WoW and engaging gameplay is going into the forest to collect 10 rabbits, followed by 10 daisies, followed by 10 bear arses.

I get playing it safe, but I almost wish that Polyphony would at least start doing spin-off games to try some new stuff. Keep the main series formulaic if they must, but maybe use the Sport brand to try some more deviant stuff. If it works and is popular, maybe it can then be rolled back into the main series without fear of alienating people or shocking them.

Of course, this only works if Sport games are being developed and released alongside main series games. If you only get one game of either variety every 5 years, the effect of being able to try new things is sort of lost.

I don’t think polyphony digital can afford to have only one game every 7 years. They are not as big as rockstar games nor do they make as nearly as much money. Also players will move on to something newer after a few years like with GT6 where in early 2018 there were very few people playing online even with more than 1200 cars. So yes they should.

I don’t think polyphony digital can afford to have only one game every 7 years. They are not as big as rockstar games nor do they make as nearly as much money. Also players will move on to something newer after a few years like with GT6 where in early 2018 there were very few people playing online even with more than 1200 cars. So yes they should.
I'd like to see who was playing online in 2018 with GT6 with the servers off on a discontinued console:lol:
PS: PD with GT6 has sold 6 million copies with a game released out of time on ps3 and has 8/9 million copies of GTS which was a minor project, not loved by many.
I would say they earn "a little more" compared to other racing games:idea:

I'd like to see who was playing online in 2018 with GT6 with the servers off on a discontinued console:lol:
PS: PD with GT6 has sold 6 million copies with a game released out of time on ps3 and has 8/9 million copies of GTS which was a minor project, not loved by many.

Yeah but what NickXP is getting at is that games that last for several years need to have a revenue stream, the income drops significantly from sales after the first year, even first six months. PD/Sony aren't making any money from sales of the couple of years of GTS at $20 or less, but they still have outgoings.

That's why you usually either need a sequel or a revenue stream on your GAAS.

The servers weren’t “off”. They shut down on March 28th 2018. Even in GT Sport there aren’t as anywhere as near as many people playing online as when the game came out. Most lobbies now have 1 - 2 Players each and in sport mode, races were totally full whereas now that very rarely happens (to me at least).

Yeah but what NickXP is getting at is that games that last for several years need to have a revenue stream, the income drops significantly from sales after the first year, even first six months. PD/Sony aren't making any money from sales of the couple of years of GTS at $20 or less, but they still have outgoings.

Yeah that is what I meant.

Didn’t vote. I don’t care if they release 1 game per gen, or 1 game every year, as long as they’re good and complete.

But if it takes a full generation for them to release a finished product, I’d rather take that.

it depends on the budget of the game and the sales prospects ... rest assured that GT6 (which is a datadisk of the 5) and GTS, will have had a much lower cost than a GT5.
That they did not immediately gain from GTS, I believe very little, especially when they have put microtransitions and a dlc.

A game does not need a sequel if you create a good economy between microtransitions and dlc around it, in addition to the fact that in doing so you stretch the legs of the game a lot with constant sales over time.

What you're missing is the point. It's not about you, I'm sure you greatly appreciate a cheap way to get an iRacing type experience that doesn't require any sort of computer aptitude. But why would Polyphony and Sony, who are primarily in the business of making money, want to change their game that sells millions of copies to appeal more to an audience that is at best a few hundred thousand? That doesn't seem like any sort of good business sense.

I guess it ends up being a choice between two iterations, or one with major season passes/expansions. Essentially they end up being functionally the same, although whichever one you end up with it will be because Sony and Polyphony have data that suggests that more people will end up paying more money through that business model.

Let’s keep this simple It’s all about money if Sony and PD want to keep growing they have to make a better Game in GT7 and a better online racing in its GTS, if they Drop the ball they will lose their following to their competition. Right now Sony and PD are making A good game simulator, I want the best.

it depends on the budget of the game and the sales prospects ... rest assured that GT6 (which is a datadisk of the 5) and GTS, will have had a much lower cost than a GT5.
Do you mean that GT Sport didn’t cost as much money to make ? If that is what you are saying then you are wrong. They had to make a completely new game engine, physics engine and they had to make every single car and track again from scratch and not port them from the PS3 because they weren’t as good as they wanted them to be which is also why the game doesn’t have as many cars as GT6. All these things cost a lot of money. Oh I also forgot that they have to pay their “superstars” And usually superstars make a lot of money so...
CD670A54-02D2-4FC6-BA72-F6FE67DADFF4.jpeg

Let’s keep this simple It’s all about money if Sony and PD want to keep growing they have to make a better Game in GT7 and a better online racing in its GTS, if they Drop the ball they will lose their following to their competition. Right now Sony and PD are making A good game simulator, I want the best.

An iRacing clone would be a better simulator, and would lose them the vast majority of their following to the competition (primarily Forza Motorsport).

A great simulation is not the best Gran Turismo game, as it would appear that a large proportion of their players are neither particularly invested in online racing nor that keen on absolute fidelity in their simulation. What Gran Turismo and games like it do really well is giving the feel of realistic driving and racing while being accessible and fun to a wide audience. Hardcore simulators are not accessible by design, and they're only fun in a very specific way that appeals to a quite niche group of people.

While simcade gets used as a derogatory term, it fairly accurately describes what Gran Turismo et al. are trying to do. And from that it's not hard to imagine why it's popular. You get to feel like you're a real racing driver, but you get all the fun of an arcade racing game. Sweet!

If you want the best hardcore simulation, you'll have to move beyond Gran Turismo. That's not what made it successful and it's not what it's trying to be. And moving on to other games is fine. You'll find that a lot of serious sim racers got their start in Gran Turismo or games like it. Personally, I still quite like GT and FM for what they are, casual racing experiences where I can drive a lot of cars, tune and paint to my heart's content, and not take them super seriously. But when I want to race a great sim, I'm playing something else.

Multiplayer online racing is the holly grail . Sim Racing has something other games don’t , you can use what you have learn online and use it when you get behind the wheel of your car. I Drive a Tow Truck as part of my business , Real Racing and Sim Racing has been a factor In keeping me safe on the highways every day.

An iRacing clone would be a better simulator, and would lose them the vast majority of their following to the competition (primarily Forza Motorsport).

A great simulation is not the best Gran Turismo game, as it would appear that a large proportion of their players are neither particularly invested in online racing nor that keen on absolute fidelity in their simulation. What Gran Turismo and games like it do really well is giving the feel of realistic driving and racing while being accessible and fun to a wide audience. Hardcore simulators are not accessible by design, and they're only fun in a very specific way that appeals to a quite niche group of people.

While simcade gets used as a derogatory term, it fairly accurately describes what Gran Turismo et al. are trying to do. And from that it's not hard to imagine why it's popular. You get to feel like you're a real racing driver, but you get all the fun of an arcade racing game. Sweet!

If you want the best hardcore simulation, you'll have to move beyond Gran Turismo. That's not what made it successful and it's not what it's trying to be. And moving on to other games is fine. You'll find that a lot of serious sim racers got their start in Gran Turismo or games like it. Personally, I still quite like GT and FM for what they are, casual racing experiences where I can drive a lot of cars, tune and paint to my heart's content, and not take them super seriously. But when I want to race a great sim, I'm playing something else.

Maybe that is why PD needs to keep GTS as a Add On to GT7, two teams are Better then one. Let competition Make them better that’s the American Way.

Past experience is telling me I'd prefer if PD focus time and energy into one title, as the PS3 GT era while enjoyable in some areas left a bad impression on me. The way GT5 just suddenly died and the half baked feel of GT6 made me feel there just might be too much pressure on PD to continue to release 2 games per console. I mean I feel as though we're going through a similar phase with the transition from GTS to GT7, but the fact that GT7 was being develop during GTS' prime this may have been greatly anticipated by the community though. I don't know if we will ever return to the 2 game per console format, but it might be a good thing.

If GT7 is released on the PS5 early and remains the sole GT game, hopefully that time and energy will be spent on making the sole representation of GT on PS5 stand out with updates and continued development. GTS system of monthly updates may have been a one off, since GTS was the only GT game on the PS4 and it was pretty much a prologue online only GT game, so updates were perhaps needed in great number and often to keep people interested. I really appreciated the updates.
I'd consider that it may not be too far fetched to believe GT7 will receive frequent updates as well, maybe not at the frequency of GTS but timely all the same.

When diagnosing which of the two scenarios may contribute more to GT games feeling half baked/rushed. It could be just as much the pressure on PD having to release two titles on one console, to the anticipation of future updates on a sole GT title leading to a lack of content at launch. In either case I'd like something to be engaged with at launch other than it being a new GT game.

GTS was the reason I bought PS4, and I forget how much I enjoyed it from the demo well into it's 1/2 year release mark. Hoping that GT7 captures the motor sport aspect of GT better then GTS ever did while being an traditional but improved GT experience.

If PD deliver a fully featured GT7 during PS5’s launch window. They could either support the game for the entire gen with paid DLC. Or go the two games per gen route.

GTS was an outlier as they were pretty much obligated to offer free DLC. Given the sparse launch content.

Poll "should" or could be "Yes" or "No". Didn't vote, though I'd like to vote, because I'd rather answer to why I voted yes or no. The words after the yes and no in the poll, aren't the words I'd use to sway my vote.

CAN PD pump out two PS5 games? Do they have the people power to develop two full GT games? It comes down to Kazunori's vision past GT7.

Kaz no doubt has things he wants to put in the next game, that won't find in this game. Probably similar to George Lucas not having the technology at the ready to fulfill his vision for Star Wars. Maybe when technology catches up, we'll see what was brewing.

If PD can do two or more games per console, sure. If they can't, that answers that.

I would rather PD work with one game on the platform as a foundation, adding content on top of it through it’s life time using seasons & UI changes to differentiate, since the core would be staying the same, this might give more time to add additional features such as a track creator that might not being considered at this time, as opposed to constantly tearing the house down again & rebuilding again again.

This GT7 is intergen, so of course we will need a GT8 as a PS5 exclusive, I can't believe some people here believe they shouldn't.

The leap between GT7 and GT8 should be big enough to be justified, obviously.

The thread was made before we knew GT7 would be cross-gen (it's basically still just a PS4 game), so the poll results are in a weird place and doesn't account for a true next-gen GT made only for PS5 hardware.

With the info we have now, I think there should be a PS5 only GT8 near the end of the generation.

The thread was made before we knew GT7 would be cross-gen (it's basically still just a PS4 game), so the poll results are in a weird place and doesn't account for a true next-gen GT made only for PS5 hardware.

With the info we have now, I think there should be a PS5 only GT8 near the end of the generation.

That's not true. The decision to make a PS4 version of the game was made recently so it is a PS5 game that is being ported to PS4 not the other way around.

If a game doesn't have a story line that can get stale, as racing games don't, then as long as it's building blocks are solid, ie the game's engine, then updating it via DLC as they have done with GTS, should be sufficient enough to run as a single title throughout the consoles life-span. As long as having it as a PS4 title as well doesn't hamper it's evolution.

But then that's potentially the biggest issue. I would imagine that PD won't just suddenly stop updating the PS4 version. If that's the case then you are hindering GT7's evolution potential as far as implementing fresh features is concerned if GT7 runs until the next, PS6, generation of console comes along, and probably beyond that, because you are essentially tying it to the limits of what the PS4 can achieve. GT7's core will have to be pretty robust under the hood to survive what could be another 5 or 6 years or more.

Last edited:
Well, yes and no. It'd likely be very much a case-by-case basis. I think that if you can add tons of cars/tracks and other features - including the return of content that may've been missing for a game or two - then why bother with a sequel? I cannot see GT8 being anytime soon - and maybe not even being on the PS5 - given how much the PS5 is anticipated to do for GT7, and how much GT7 will likely be supported with additional content. This is especially when we look at how much free content was added for both GT6 and GTS.

Last edited:
Back