[POLL] How are you going to choose your next-gen console?

• Thread starter Lukanyon
  • 53 comments

How are you going to decide which next-gen console to buy? (PS5 or Xbox Series X)

• I'm going to buy the most powerful.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I'm going to buy based on exclusive games.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • I'm going to buy the one with the best racing games.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I'm going to buy based on my current console (from PS4 to PS5 / from XOne to Series X)

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • I'm going to buy both of them.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I will not buy either.

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • I'm going to buy based on the best VR experience.

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
Brazil
São Paulo
Corredor_Y
I just want to know the motivations of people for their next consoles, and whether hardware has a greater influence in these decisions than in the past or exclusive games are still the main selling point. :cheers:
Don't know if there's other obvious reasons I've forgotten :lol:
Me personally, I'm going to buy based on the exclusive racing game I like the most. :D

I reached the point where I'm no longer interested in pursuing a console anymore. I've too many consoles collecting dust, have a usable PC to fulfill that need for gaming, and don't need to purchase a reason to distract myself even more, if that makes any sense.

I'm going to wait and see what they can do and then buy a PC to better it. Then buy a PS5 as well. Obviously.

Sony has the better exclusives so thats a definite, I'd happily buy an xbox too if there is some good exclusive content particulalry racing titles / if Forza evolves to near GT levels of physics I would get both...

I made my decision this gen based on racing games (Hence why I went with Xbox), but I do think next gen, I'll go with exclusive titles since I don't think there is much appeal elsewhere. Games already look stunning at 4K, I'm more interested in new experiences nowadays.

My plan is to get a PS5 near launch, use it alongside my One X for a year or two then replace that for a more powerful gaming Laptop for Microsoft exclusives.

I've Playstation since the original came out. I've never seen any exclusive games or console features that have made me think of switching sides so i imagine that's the path i'll continue down.

Since the PS2 the console has been as much as a media player as it has been a gaming one for me, but now those features are prevalent as built-in apps on smart TV's etc, and as i'm older and getting less interested in (or having time for) gaming in general, a PS5 won't be high on my list of purchases until there are several games that i feel i need in my life. I managed without a PS4 until the Pro came out three years later(?) where as i'd always had the previous PSs as launch models or thereabouts (within 6 months of launch) so that shows how my interest has slowed down.

I agree as well with The Cracker, for me I have been a PS owner since the first one. When I took a hiatus for 10 years when I came back I purchased another PS. I dont plan to jump to the new PS5 because I have been in IT for over 30 years and one thing I have learned is not to fall for the whole planed obsolescent thing. Once PS5 comes out and has been in production and hardcore gamers have had a chance to put it through the paces I may consider it but only if it a true technology jump, not a bump. JMHO

It will be Xbox for me because that's what I've had for the last several years. I don't have the room for two consoles or the desire to have to switch them out. Plus there's nothing on Playstation I really want to play anyway.

I'm not entirely sure yet. I only like a few exclusives from both sides so that's not really a selling point for me. They're both going to be powerful enough hitting similar checkbox's. If anything it might come down to what my friends choose first, but really I've been itching to start with Playstation this go around. I don't have too much pull towards either side right now so price point might sway me as well, but either way, I plan to own both.

Sony has the better exclusives so thats a definite, I'd happily buy an xbox too if there is some good exclusive content particulalry racing titles / if Forza evolves to near GT levels of physics I would get both...
GTS(from what I understand) and Forza are really sitting in similar area's concerning physics, really. They really always have been.

I have a gaming PC so really don't need an Xbox. It will be PS5 for me and at some time in future when they are much cheaper I'll pick up a Switch.

I won't likely get a PS5 until about a year after launch though. There will be a price cut after a year and there will have been some minor hardware revisions and improvements.

GTS(from what I understand) and Forza are really sitting in similar area's concerning physics, really. They really always have been.[/QUOTE]

We'll agree to disagree on that... have you played both?... however could be very different next gen... with all this force feedback triggers and haptics in the offing...

This is an interesting question. I think how you choose your next console is mostly based on your past. Or maybe you are no serious gamer of any kind and just want to splash into the gaming realm your own special way. I put a lot of thought into this post, so here goes...

That said... I mostly will want to choose based on what console I can realistically see myself taking advantage of for a long time to come. Choosing a console should be like buying a car or buying a house- you want something that will last and that you can make the most of for a long time. I seriously loathe the concept of buying one console for just one game or one certain feature. Even when you buy a system that ultimately fails (for example: the OUYA, and I am an unapologetic OUYA owner), you want to make the most of what you buy instead of just using it for only a few features. You'd rather make the most of something for as long as a system's shelf life allows than here-and-there usage without really taking advantage of it.

The only option closest to my thoughts on getting a next-gen console is "the best exclusive games." Honestly, my option is somewhere between "the best exclusive games" and "based on my current console." I selected exclusive games because I think exclusive titles are what makes your console a seller. Think of all the people who'll play Nintendo systems mostly to play the likes of Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and others. In addition to the stats and figures on any system, the proper set of games help sell your game system. I think of exclusive games more like how racing/driving games have certain tracks and cars to them. Some people dislike fictional vehicles and fictional locations, but they do have an advantage in providing a unique aspect and identity to a game. Same goes for exclusive titles for systems, including

Now to discuss the "current console" aspect. I keep contemplating about getting a PlayStation 4 as a PlayStation 3 owner. Then you have the PlayStation 5 talk, and I keep thinking if I should save up for the PS5 or at least get a used PS4 from GameStop or someplace. Really, I am torn between getting a PlayStation 4 or a Nintendo Switch. Even if the Switch is not as loved as any PlayStation or any XBOX, there are people who actually play and love the Switch. So don't give me the notion that the Switch is not a favorable option in this context. In today's gaming culture, game consoles are not just "game consoles." They have applications and stuff outside of physical and digital games. For example- YouTube and Netflix apps. There's a lot to consider when going to a newer console, and you have to weigh your options properly.

So to the "TL;DR" crowd, my option is on choosing a new console based on exclusive games. I would say in upgrading from a current console, but I took into account if you are not going on past consoles. That's why my decision is on exclusive games more so than upgrading, though upgrading from previous consoles is a factor in choosing a new console.

PS5. Though I always wanted to get a Nintendo console but have never bought one yet :confused:

I do not think power matters anymore. This gen we already have great looking games. Loading times definitely is a big step and faster cpu will not bottleneck the gpu this time is also good for achieving higher fps. 3D audio ? Hopefully it will work, and dev will use it. Software matters not the hardware

GTS(from what I understand) and Forza are really sitting in similar area's concerning physics, really. They really always have been

We'll agree to disagree on that... have you played both?... however could be very different next gen... with all this force feedback triggers and haptics in the offing...
They both sit in the middle area of the sim spectrum really. They complement each other very well with both having strengths and weaknesses over each other. That’s pretty well known at this point. Not quiet arcade like NFS, but not to far into the other direction like AC and PCars. That they don’t don’t simulate the exact same things doesn’t change that in my opinion.

I’ve had every generation Xbox and PlayStation, but I’ll be buying the Xbox Series X first whenever it comes out. Believe it or not, I switched from a predominately PlayStation guy to an Xbox guy, pretty much for the sole reason that a several years ago my brother bought me some really nice headphones for my 360. I started buying all new games for that because I love gaming with nice headphones.

I’ll be getting a Series X Mainly because with the backwards compatibility that Microsoft got the major jump on, I have a 4 tb external hard drive with a ton of games on. That and the game pass is why I’m sticking with Xbox first, but I may get a PlayStation eventually as well.

Last edited:
I’ve had PlayStation in the past so I’m leaning towards that. However it depends on the price tag, if the Xbox is significantly cheaper I might go for that one instead.

It also depends on what the next Gran Turismo and Forza Horizon will bring.

I'll be most likely getting the PS5 first and the XBSX later on, just like the two previous generations - unless T10 and/or PG surpises me. Forza is the only MS exclusive I really care for.

I won't buy either right away, but once there are a few games out I might consider buying one or both. In all likelyhood I will end up buying the PS5 over the X-Box for the simple reason most of the X-Box exclusives I can now purchase on Windows and I have a pretty powerful laptop. So unless/until that becomes obsolete I don't see the need for an X-Box at this time.

Next gen is a hard pass. Both consoles have gotten increasingly sloppy when it comes to the big titles. I've been accelerating plans for moving to PC for a while now, especially when it comes to playing Forza and other more hardocore sims.

PC next time around. Definitely won’t ever buy a console at release, and I won’t even consider one until they’ve been out a few years and the prices drop and the evolution consoles are sold. The only thing that’s ever kept me in the PS camp was GT, but if PD continues on its current GTS trend then forget it. No PS5 for me.

Back