[POLL] How long have you ever left your PS3 running and did it fail?

• Thread starter Hastatus
  • 90 comments
80GB fatty have left on for 7 days+ because I left it on over vacation and have left it on for multiple weekends when I leave, still outlasting my friends slims

I had 80g fatty. It started giving me problems and wouldn't read. I'd leave a game loaded and leave it on for 3 months at a time. Or spend a day trying to load a new game.

I finally opened it up and cleaned the laser and it worked great for 3-4 months then I'd have to clean it again. Did this for a year.

Then id have to clean it every week for a month until it never read again. I swapped in a new laser and it worked great again.

Then gt5 came out... First tsukuba 9 hr b spec I did, I woke up to a blinking red light. And went out and bought a slim.

I did the heatgun trick and recovered my garage but once they go ylod or blink red it'll always have issues.

But my original has logged thousands of hours on. And now is still working from a wheelchair in the ps3 nursing home.

Keep them as cool as possible. I bought USB powered fans for 3.00 each shipped on eBay. They come on and go off with ps3. Perfect!

Time is not as much of a factor in the life of your PS3 as dust and temperature. Just keep the bad boy clean and avoid abrupt changes in temperature and you should be in the clear. Dry, cool, clean, and well-ventilated 👍

I don't understand everyone's fear of leaving the thing on. People leave PCs on all the time with no issues. I go days at a time with no issue.

I think it all boils down to the very high failure rates of the early 360's RRoD'ing. It has made far too many people paranoid that all consoles are prone to failure.

It's interesting that of the early resposes to this poll the only failures are of consoles that are never left on for more than 24 hours at a time. i.e. consoles that are power cycled the most often.

It looks like you are better off leaving your console on and at a stable temperature than keep cycling it on and off and on and off with the heating, cooling, heating, cooling that goes along with that.

I've got a fatty 60GB that I've had for at least 3 years, I think more. I leave it on for weeks at a time and have never had a problem. I just make sure it's in an open space so it doesn't get too hot.

I have a 60GB fatty that I bought second-hand, and it came with an intercooler. I hadn't run the intercooler for about 18 months since some dude at gamestop said it may screw up my PS3 by sucking up too much energy, but about 6 months ago I cleaned my entire console, threw that intercooler on there and have yet to have a problem

Over a month on my new slim PS3.

I have blown up to fatties though over the past 3 years. The first one crapped itself after a month. Still had warranty, crapped itself again 5 months later. Ended up getting a brand new one through warranty. 2nd one lasted me a year or so and died.

This one though is awesome, unfortunately it doesn't work seperately as a space heater like the first 2 though. :)

60 hours of grinding under my belt lol I still have my 1 year warranty on my 160gb slim, so if it breaks I'll just get a new one for free my old 40gb fatty melted the hdd lol

I voted a week or two ago, I think 2 weeks and going strong. Well, it has since died but I stopped leaving it running for long periods a couple weeks ago. I'm not surprised it died. It was a BC 60 gig fatty that I purchased in July '07 after the very first PS3 price drop. I may have 10,000 or more hours on it between gaming, MLB app, Netflix, Hulu, and Blu-Rays/DVDs. It was on probably an average of 12 hours a day. I went out and bought a slim and I am not worried at all about leaving it on.

Original 60 GB - more than 1 month straight and running flawlessly!

In this time, I did lots of races on SPEC-A and SPEC-B was always racing whenever I couldn't. Got Lv40 in B, and Lv37 in A, so far!

I have 40gig fatty but with 500g inside for playtv :) longest I've had it on was 11 days then I gave it a 2 day rest now it's done 2 days in arow, I'm currently doing 9 hour aspec endurance :)
It has now yellow lighted and ps3 is now dead :(

Last edited:
Slim PS3 purchased september 10 it's been running nonstop since remote racing started. I would like someday soon to take it apart and blow out the dust, I live in a very very dusty area. I dust the area around it at least once a week.

Last edited:
First gen 80 gig, bought x mas of launch(12/25/07). It has been running 24/7 since the day I got it, only time I turn it off is to reboot if needed, an ocasional cleaning, or when I move it into another room so the kids can use it.

My slim PS3 turned off after 24 hours of straight usage. No YLOD though. I dont keep it on for more than 15 hours at a time now because of that.

Mine has only been off twice due to power outages lasting a few minutes since as far back as November. I'll give you guys an update here next time November rolls by. ^_^

I have had mine since christmas, I have an awesome g/f who got it for me , I have been running alot more for RR, I leave it on for about 12hrs a day most of the time.

Leaving it on isn't going to harm it, its when you power cycle , just like a car engine, its the heat cycle's that cause's wear on parts.

Keeping it clean and dust free is the best thing to do, I dust at least once a week. Now my reburb xbox I bought a while back, I wont leave that on as much as I would the PS3.

I've PS3 80gb version did 24 Le mans A-spec in 3 days, after finish it I heard something in my PS3 sometimes. afraid to get something bad on it..
all I want PD release update for race save to complete last 24hr nurburgring

Model: 250gb slim
Running time: 9 hours
What was my PS3 doing?: It took a few hours to install a GT5 update, then GT5 didn't work.
Reason: bad Hard Drive
Reason of reason: leaving PS3 on carpet
What's happening now?: I bought a new Hard Drive last month and now everythings fine. PS3 is on floor, I learnt my lesson
Longest running time since I bought new Hard Drive: about 3-4 hours

I leave my PS3 on for like... 12 hours on average daily lol no failures, no lag, nothing... runs like brand new every time.

80 Gig fatty... plays PS2 games

been running mine for 15 hrs straight running GT5. Never had a 24hr stand off so far. Room is always airconditioned at max though.

Console: Slim 160
Longest time running: Over 1 month, fully operational, not standby.
Result: No problems.

I'm always worried about my playstation overheating/getting YLOD. The longest I've kept it on is 8 hours but I kept it on that long for remote racing.

Ive never really worried bout cutting it off cause I'm always doing something. But I have the originalfatty when it 1st came out so mines stays on for months at time. Sometimes even longer only cut it off to clean the dust out. Bad thing is that I don't even use the b/c. But if I was to get a slim I would gripe bout it. Lol

Had my launch 60gig going for over 5 months non-stop as part of overclockers.co.uk folding at home team and its still going strong.

I've got a 40GB fatty thats about 3 years old now. Up until the endurance races I'd say the most I ever used it consecutively was 5-6 hours. But lately I ran through the b-spec endurance races and put many hours on it consecutively. To get from a level 35 to level 40 I had to run probably 8-9 24 hr races at Sarthe and then one final race at Nurburgring.

I've had concerns about posible failure but its not going to stop me form completing the game.

the longest i've played/left running was about 8 hours. on a usual playing day i only play for about an hour to and hour and a half. thumbs up for having a life! 👍 lol

Old 20gig fatty, always on except when I take it apart to get the cat hair out of the fan. It would seem they don't run when you unplug/take them apart, or it would never get shut off on purpose.
Seriously though, i'm surprised it hasn't died.
I also think I'm the only one still running the 20gig drive, but I refuse to upgrade untill it takes a dive. Still sounds healthy though. Might have a long wait.....:lol:

Latest Posts

Back