I reckon I'm also in the "experienced" bracket. I do only play the game with the DS3 despite having a G25 (I have nowhere to set it up in the living room, and buying a wheelstand or something similar is a bit expensive for me at the moment) but I've learnt how to be smooth and relatively competitive with it. I rarely win a race when the regulations are open (someone will always have a car far superior to mine as I don't buy racing softs...). However, if it's a single-make race or a shuffle race, I'm nearly always on the podium. I guess this is my race sim experience coming in at this point - I've played proper race sims (Grand Prix Legends, GTR, rFactor) since 2002 and in an rFactor league of over 10,000 players I've managed my fair share of wins and consistently a top 30 ranked driver.
I'd be ready to improve my own rating to I haz teh skillz if I could play GT5 with the G25 My biggest weakness has always been overtaking though, so I think I'd need to improve that to get my "skillz"
I think I'm a good driver, I don't use any aids or ABS and I regularly win races online when I play. I consider myself a clean racer and more of an improvisational driver than a time trial person.
Tbh I find online that consistency is the most important thing, so I don't really go on full attack when online, I just stay chilled and make no mistakes. Same goes for when I'm chasing someone down, I find that slowly catching the person in front during the second half of the second lap of the nurburgring leads to the guy in front getting more nervous than me catching them quickly when they still have good tyres. More often than not the guy will lose it on either the second karoussel or on the long right hander going onto the straight.
And of course I was being smooth over the last lap so my tyres are in a better condition ... The tortoise and the hare comes to mind
I consider myself to be experienced even though I make the odd mistake here and there, but "I haz te skillz" to get the job done when racing, well most of the time at least
I don't really try the Time Trials in GT5, but it's safe to say that I rank highly in Time Trails on other racing games.
I never used the driving Aids before except with ABS at 1 since in most of the rooms I joined, they disabled the other features so I might as well not use driving aids =)
I usually race pretty hard, but im usually like 5 or below when it comes to the qualifying leaderboards during the free runs and I do make accidents during in tight packs in races
Oh i ticked experianced(how experianced is dependant as whether your in front or behind), defiantly not the fastest but generally clean and reasonably consistant. G25 user here.
im horrible online, i blame it on the ps3 controller, but i know its not true, most of you got above level 30 with that thing. but when online i try not to hit anyone, and i let them pass if they r faster on the straight.