POLL: PS3 Slim YLOD, is it possible?

Can PS3 SLIM get the YLOD?

• Total voters
United States
New York, U.S.A
XxOnLySBz4mExX
I've done many searches about the famous "YLOD" on this GTPlanet and I've only seen people with the "FatBoy PS3" get this problem, is it possible for me to get this on my PS3 SLIM 120GB?

I'm starting to get scared that I may be in danger of getting the YLOD on my PS3 SLIM 120GB, because I have been B-Spec'n alot lately in Gran Turismo 5.

And for those who voted "yes" can you provide me with an example, if you can? :)

YLOD = "Yellow Light of Death" (for those who didn't know.)

TO MODS: I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so if necessary please move to appropriate subforum, thanks :)

Last edited:
Of course it's possible, it still have a lead-free solder, just like a fat PS3/X360/etc
So from heat/cold cycles it can crack => gpu will lose a contact with motherboard => you will get a YLOD.
I would say it should have a little less chances for that, because the slim PS3 runs cooler, than the fat ones.

If you put a blamket over it then it will overheat within a few days and then YLOD.

I know someone who did it on purpose because he didn't like the look of the slim PS3 so he made it YLOD and got an 80GB fat PS3 instead, with some money back too!

If you put a blamket over it then it will overheat within a few days and then YLOD.

I know someone who did it on purpose because he didn't like the look of the slim PS3 so he made it YLOD and got an 80GB fat PS3 instead, with some money back too!

Haha. What a guy.

In response to the thread, yea it is possible. However it is less likely to occur on the slimeline. There hasn't been too many cases reported for ylod on the slimeline. If you do abuse your ps3 and it's always on playin gt5 without a break, yes a ylod is foreseeable. I toned my b spec racing down to avoid the ylod and I have a 250gb slimeline.

I’m just passing on what I’ve heard, make of it what you will.

I’ve heard it’s mainly the graphics processor that over heats and comes loose.

Apparently you can reduce the chances of this happening by keeping the PS3 horizontal so gravity doesn’t help it fall off if its marginal (not to sure about this :indiff:)

Also if B-spec endurance racing, use the timing screen as it gives the processor less work and therefore it needs less power and produces less heat.

Okay... if my PS3 was the limited edition PS3 GT5 Racing Pack version (got it last December), what are the chances of it overheating? I didn't put any blanket on it or anything, but my room is a bit dusty I think and well... today will be the first time I'm leaving the PS3 on for more than 24 hours... :nervous:

Okay... if my PS3 was the limited edition PS3 GT5 Racing Pack version (got it last December), what are the chances of it overheating? I didn't put any blanket on it or anything, but my room is a bit dusty I think and well... today will be the first time I'm leaving the PS3 on for more than 24 hours... :nervous:

As long as you don't put a blanket over it then it'll be fine.

I accidentally left my fat 80GB PS3 on for a few days and it was fine...

There are a few guys here who say they ran their launch 60GB 24/7 since a few years except for a few exceptions.

Your slim won't die running 24H straight or more.

Slims only require about 33-50% of the power of a fat ps3 so it's takes some doing to get them to overheat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_hardware#Configurations

A good tip if you're worried about leaving b-spec running for endurance races: Once the race starts, click on the button to select which car/driver to view. Leave it on that for the whole race and all your ps3's gfx chip has to render is a 2d menu :P Keeps things a bit cooler.

my 60GB fatboy started playing up after playing on for about an hour since i got GT5, so it must be stressing the hell out of the original system and the resulting heat buildup is causing the YLOD. I traded it in at hmv for a slim 320GB while it still was reliable enough to rip all the data off and passed their system tests.

Bear in mind the original PS3 CPU and GPU are both 90nm cores and the newest variant are both 45nm, the result is less than half the power usage which is obv gonna result in much less heat production.

edit, baron you just pipped me to it about the power usage. i consulted that wiki page when buying my new slim to make sure i got the newest model variant with the newest chips inside.

The new 160 and 320gb slims have a 40nm chip.

Iv left mine on over night, but I use a house fan to blow air towards it. Also it's sat on a trivet about 35mm high.
So air can circulate underneath, on top and down the sides.

The temp difference from having the fan on is quite big. I'd say the bottom and the top, at the back is 50% cooler as opposed to not having the fan on.

There are a few guys here who say they ran their launch 60GB 24/7 since a few years except for a few exceptions.
Me. My 60GB ran for months straight running Folding@Home. It made it over three years before getting YLOD, and when it happened was after I started turning it off regularly. Heck, it had been on for less than 15 minutes and I was playing Planet Mini Golf when it died.

Slims use less power, thus create less heat, so it is less likely that it will go YLOD on you, but it can. So long as they can't use the lead-based solder it can happen more frequently than on other electronics. But you will hear of it much less often, much like newer 360 models, which have cooler running chips, get RROD less often.

But always backup. Just a power outage during a game save can screw up your hard drive and make you lose your save.

I can't speek for the slim, but I have a re-furb 60gig that I got from Sony after my original 60gig fatboy got YLOD. Had to pay $150 bucks almost 3 years ago and I've had my machine on for over 3 weeks now running B-spec and some A-spec auto grinding for the past 3 days. I set it up vertical but no extra fan or anything fancy. I keep dust off and vaccumed it once. It's still running strong. I've had it so long now that I think I've got a good value out of the thing. If it does croac I'll go pick up a slim. Also, to be on the safe side, I back up the game every day...knock on wood.

Maybe part of the re-furb is to use lead solder to make the connection stronger? I dunno

Maybe part of the re-furb is to use lead solder to make the connection stronger? I dunno
They started using better fans in the cooling system at one point, which if they switched that could make all the difference.

But as long as they are in a country that regulates against lead in toys and considers game consoles toys (like the US) they can't add it like that.

Well does make a big difference if the room was air-conditioning? I left my PS3 in my parents room and when they go to sleep they use the air-cond. But yeah, should not get too worried since my PS3 is barely even a few months old... :lol:

Anyway, thanks for advice guys! 👍

The PS3 is a consumer grade electronic device built in the age of "disposable electronics". I pray when I turn ANYTHING on in my house.

:lol: Why would someone put a blanket on their PS3 . . . :lol:

I left my 250GB PS3 on for 8 days and it's still fine:tup:👍👍👍👍👍

Than that someone is a real &^%$#@#

Back