[POLL] S2U - What's your favorite camera view?

• Thread starter paytonlow
  • 38 comments

What's your favorite (most used) camera view?

• Bumper cam

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Hood cam

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • Cockpit cam

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • Helmet cam

Votes: 38 31.7%
  • Chasing cam

Votes: 7 5.8%

• Total voters
LYQ_ImprezaSTi
There're five driving camera views in Shift 2: Unleashed - Bumper, Hood, Cockpit (NFS: Shift style), Helmet and Chasing (3rd Person). Vote for your most used camera view! :)

My comments for all five camera views:

Bumper - Not a fan of it, if I can avoid using it I certainly will.

Hood - I can drive faster in this view, mostly due to better track judgement.

Cockpit - I use this view most of the time, gives me more feelings for the car. I'm a left hand side driver by nature, amazingly that the right hand drive cars do affect my track judgement.

Helmet - Will learn this view after I finish the Career mode, very interesting view but now is not the time.

Chasing (3rd Person) - Mostly use it for Arcade racers like NFS: Hot Pursuit and Ridge Racer series. Occasionally use it in S2U to view car damages & back/side exhausts.

Share your thoughts. :)

I use Hood cam mostly. If only it had the side mirrors in addition to just the rear then it would be perfect. As it is, it's the best view if you don't have opponents around you, certainly the best view for hot lapping. Cockpit is good, except it's too close to the windshield. Helmet is useless for me but the good thing about it compared to the cockpit view is the fact that you can see side mirror(s). Chasing, just to check the damage :) Bumper is useless, since we have the hood view.

Hood view.

I've always ran faster lap times using this view.

I use cockpit view at least once to check out the interior on each new car i drive.

Helmet cam all the way. It helps me focus on the road/cars ahead. The dials and gauges are useless to me anyway because they're too small to be read so it helps when they get blurred and not distract me.

I've been playing racing games since 1977, and I really can't get used to anything other than the chase cam, so I use it most often. In the cockpit view, I can't really 'feel' where my car is on the track, although I'd agree it is the most immersive view.

When I get out in front in a race, I tend to switch to that view, and I've been playing most of the premium cars in GT5 in cockpit as well.

It's as if I know I should be using cockpit, but I don't......

Bumper - Used it for GT5 but I'm not a fan. It doesn't give you any sense of what car you're driving, you're just floating in midair with some gauges in front of you.

Hood - I always use this. It's the natural way you see the track - just feels realistic.

Cockpit - Never really cared for this. For me personally it doesn't make me feel more like I'm driving a car, it just obstructs my view. When I'm driving in real life I don't notice the dashboard or my hands on the steering wheel, I just see what's outside the windshield.

Helmet - Cool concept but it would take me a long time to get used to it. when the camera swings to the inside of a corner it makes me think my back end has completely lost traction and I've got major oversteer problems.

Chasing (3rd Person) - never use this. Hate it.

Helmetcam was the most convincing argument to buy Shift 2 for me. I've started the game using helmet and got confused for the first 10 races. Now im 25% through the career, hard AI all the time and always in helmet cam and it just feels natural.

Sometimes, if I quit a race after a total crash I'm starting the next one in chase cam because i've been watching the damage to the car before. Im always in a hurry to get back to helmet cam before the lights turn green so I don't miss the start or even the first corner ;)

So I'm saying, the longer you play helmet cam, the better you get and the more natural it feels. I can't even drive in bumper cam anymore although I drove in that view for the last couple of years.

Hood cam, but I do enjoy using helmet cam because it gives awesome driver's perspective.

Bumper - Will only use it in games which do not have a cockpit or hood view.

Hood - Will use it if no cockpit view is available (ala Hot Pursuit) or if it sucks (ala GT5)

Cockpit - 👍

Helmet - Like it, but can't shake the feeling that I don't look that far ahead of turns in real life. Wish there was a percentage adjustment.

Chasing - Avoid at all costs in all games

My favourite its not the most used.
I voted cockpit because its amazing in this game.

I use hood the most because i'm faster with it and the Autolog keeps me from using cockpit view :D

Helmet cam for immersion.

Early on, I tried helmet , then switched away then went back to helmet.
I think like the handling, it takes a bit of getting used to but once you do there's no way back :)

(have to say though, also really liked the cockpit view too, nicest so far on a console, imho)

Just worried now, that playing other games without helmet cam it is going to feel wrong.

Hood w/rear view for me. I know the boundaries of my car. Plus I can see all of the road. 10x better than GT's Roof view. I never drive sticking my head out of the sun roof.

I do cockpit here and there. Usually to test my wheel input to see if my turning and the car's turning sync up. Cock pit here is also better than GT. What I can't do much of is the Helmet cam. It throws me off. I have to force myself to remember that the view turns before my car turns. I typically go into corners faster than anticipated and end of sliding off the road. If I go into corners too slow, I lose time and aggressiveness. So hood for me all the way.

Interesting, Hood cam is the most popular driving view so far, I guess some people might have be pissed off by GT5 dropping GT4's Hood cam for Roof cam. I was forced to use Roof cam due to most of my favorite cars are Standard!! :grumpy:

Anyway, keep voting and sharing your opinions. :)

Love helmet cam... strange "at first" but now it must feel natural as I can't say I notice the movement anymore. The external views, to me, make it feel like an arcade racer.

Cockpit or helmet cam for me,i will never use any other views than those...I love the fact that the developers are really focusing on the helmet and cockpit views,that is what sold Shift 1 and now Shift 2 for me.. Real Sim Racers only use the cockpit view ,i wont even play a racing game if it doesnt have a cockpit view...\ Finn Zevo Sim Racer!!!

Bumper cam for racing .
Chase cam for drifting .
l started using bumper cam many years ago in previous NFS titles , Most Wanted , Carbon , because of the pursuits . l found it much easier to avoid roadblocks & spike strips using bumper cam , as you can see the actual road surface much more clearly .
So now it's always bumper cam for me , looking at the car l'm driving is just a distraction for me now , drifting is the only time l need to actually see the car .
Besides , bumper cam is way intense and a lot of fun .

I like helmet cam the most but i consitantly get better times using the bumper cam

I really can't get used to anything other than the chase cam, so I use it most often. In the cockpit view, I can't really 'feel' where my car is on the track, although I'd agree it is the most immersive view.

My thoughts exactly.

Haven't gotten to grips with he helmet cam, am finding it hard to judge position on the track so have stuck with cockpit view.

I keep having a go at it an will try and learn it some other time though.

NFS's Bumper Cam is not as good as GT's. It appears to be from the perspective of the bumper and not from an invisible interior. As GT's is. NTG is worse, it's much lower and quite useless.

I find that I'm most comfortable with Hood View. I would like to use Helmet Cam, it's too disorienting combined with input lag.

Back