Project CARS 3 Developer Blog Explains New Tire Physics, Confirms Pit Stops Are History

It's totally understandable that some people do not want strategic races in their games, that they don't want to choose between hard tyres and soft tyres with a pit stop. They just want a 5 lap sprint race start to finish. Fine, cater to those people, but to take it away for everyone is absurd.

I know they'll deny it but I am convinced this is a Codemasters management decision. Simplify your games, reduce costs, throw out whatever you've got every two years. It reeks of that business model of theirs recently.

I miss the Toca 2, Colin McRae Rally 3 and earlier Codemasters.

No pit stops.
I don't understand this decision. Why not give the option to choose?
I can accept no pit stops in career mode, but whats happened to don't have this feature in online races and offline custom races?
At least the possibility to change tires when start to rain.

Also I assume no mechanical failures.

Why not call the game Grid 2.0 or some 🤬?
Because that would be even more misleading as to how it plays and what it simulates, making it even more confusing for simulation/"simcade"/arcade-style fans?

I would not expect anywhere near the level of simulation that still remains in PCARS3 from that brandname.

I think the backlash wouldn't be as bad if this was marketed as a spinoff or more of an arcade-style racer.

Instead... this is supposed to be a sequel and a sim?
Ian Bell stated Jan 2019 when he announced what was next that PC3 was going to be a mix of NFS Shift and Project Cars. Sim physics Shift type fun. Ian Bell, Here's Jan 2019 part of his post. Just days ago, Bell dropped the bombshell that Project CARS 3 would be a “spiritual successor to Shift”. I do get the losing pit stops is upsetting for the sim guys.

It's totally understandable that some people do not want strategic races in their games, that they don't want to choose between hard tyres and soft tyres with a pit stop. They just want a 5 lap sprint race start to finish. Fine, cater to those people, but to take it away for everyone is absurd.

I know they'll deny it but I am convinced this is a Codemasters management decision. Simplify your games, reduce costs, throw out whatever you've got every two years. It reeks of that business model of theirs recently.

I miss the Toca 2, Colin McRae Rally 3 and earlier Codemasters.

This game has been in development long before sms was acquired by codemasters

Ian Bell stated Jan 2019 when he announced what was next that PC3 was going to be a mix of NFS Shift and Project Cars. Sim physics Shift type fun. Ian Bell, Here's Jan 2019 part of his post. Just days ago, Bell dropped the bombshell that Project CARS 3 would be a “spiritual successor to Shift”. I do get the losing pit stops is upsetting for the sim guys.

Yeah but Shift with pit stops would have been better game... same with Grid.

No Pit Stops is the strangest decision I've ever heard. I can understand it in a career mode of short races, but not having it as an option is totally barmy.

My use of racing games is unusual and niche - I only do online league racing. I don't actually use fuel or tyre wear because I prefer to race with cars and tyres which are already a challenge to control and any further drop in adhesion would be too much, however I want everyone to have the option to play the way they want to - not have a common sense option such as pit stops blocked.

Pit Stops are essential for league racing - if the race is over a certain length the Host will typically set a pit stop (often of 5 minutes duration) during which players can take a comfort break. I'm an old guy on medications which results in the need for more frequent comfort breaks than a healthy youngster. Most of the people I race with are on the older side of mature and are dedicated league racers - for most of them I think no pit stops will probably mean no purchase.

I just can't see league racers using this game unless they only do short races, but for most of the racers I know from GTPlanet it is the races of 1 hour + or 2 hours + that they are most interested in.

This decision is so nonsensical that it can only be explained by technical problems that the team couldn't resolve.

Even if they have no tyre wear or fuel usage why not allow pit stops for comfort breaks etc? Will we have to drive off into the gravel when running longer races?

@IanBell - please reinstate pit stops even if there is no tyre wear and fuel usage - please think about us mature racers!

What this shows is that SMS is like any other major developer going where the win blows. Pcars 2 showed dedication and passion to the racing sim genre. They built off of pcars 1 and gained respect. If they just paired down and focused on nailing the things that matter they could have been a legitimate contender. I don't think not having pitstops is the end of the world but it proves their core philosophies have completely abandoned what they started.

And remember sim racers, you must always question a guy who uses a picture of himself with no shirt on as a profile pic.

“We don’t know how many SMS has planned, but that fact that the first article there is “#1” is a pretty good sign that this is due to be a reasonably lengthy endeavour.“

I’ll have a guess thanks,

Next article will be called Downforce, you don’t need it so we’re removing it.

Next week we’ll talk open borders with the new non existent penalty system.

I hadn’t noticed the GTPlanet profile lately, he changed the picture? What happend to Chewbacca?

Anyways, back on topic carrying pitchforks. We want pit stops, at least.

Yeah but Shift with pit stops would have been better game... same with Grid.
I understand that. I totally understand many are upset. It could have been a option to turn on or off. I was just trying to point out that Ian announced it was going to be a mix of NFS Shift and Project Cars early before development 2018 I think was the first he said it. . After all Project Cars was built off from Nfs Shift 2 in the first place and went the sim route. I believe the problem is sim games just don't sell enough. Myself I've been waiting for a Shift 3 for a long time. Grid in my opinion not the as good as Shift. Never liked Grid owned them all. Loved Shift. 1,2

Here's a quote from Nathan Bell:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...-This-summer&p=1595875&viewfull=1#post1595875
Nathan Bell
Please let me clarify. All the underlying simulation with our SETA tyre model exists - and has actually been adding upon with a 3rd layer. The difference with PC3 is - without Pitstops, the change in tyre compounds happens automatically. That doesn't mean you go from racing in a sunny environment to a wet environment and the car handles the same. Absolutely not. It just means you don't have to pit to put the wets on, therefore no break in the racing action. And from dry to wet you'll be able to feel the difference as always. That was the main reasoning behind the decision from the Game Design Team. And I understand guys, change is hard to embrace. But it's resulted in a better product. Our simmers who've worked on this title love it also. But if it's not for you it's not for you. All we can do is be open and transparent, show you guys the ins-and-outs of the game, and you guys as our community and consumers have the right to make your mind up yourselves if it's not the product for you.

Just reinstates my want to build a pc that can handle iracing.
Which is fairly cheap. I run iRacing on my old gaming PC that I just chucked a £100 1050Ti into.

AMD FX-6300
8GB DDR1333
4GB GTX 1050Ti
120GB SSD

That's good for iRacing with mainly high settings @ 1440P and consistently well over 60fps.

Last edited:
All this talk about getting to the most important part...... the driving. But $100 million says they still won’t have a simple offline custom championship mode. And will require that rpg element I hate in all racers. Find it interesting all these devs seem to think making a wider appeal is achieved by removing options. You’d think if you gave people to the option to play the game how they like it would attract more gamers. Having to level up is the #1 reason I don’t like a lot of the latest racers and don’t bother with the career modes. But that’s just me

FemaleUnconsciousAngelwingmussel-max-1mb.gif

This is disappointing to say the least and while I won't say it's a deal breaker it certainly dampens my enthusiasm for the title. Hopefully the rest of the game is absolutely stellar or it will be a hard sell for me.

Back