[Poll] So how good do you think the physics are?

• Thread starter Kalder
  • 78 comments

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being best), how realistic do you think the physics of GT7 are?

• 10 (True to life, ultra realistic)

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • 9 (Extremely realistic but could still be slightly improved)

Votes: 49 16.3%
  • 8 (Highly realistic but there are a lot of better sims out there)

Votes: 74 24.6%
  • 7 (Pretty realistic, physics could definitely be improved)

Votes: 84 27.9%
  • 6 (Kinda realistic, there's still a lot of work to do)

Votes: 42 14.0%
  • 5 (Not realistic)

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • 4 (I don't know what I'm talking about)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 3 (I think NFS and FH5 are way more realistic)

• 2 (duuuuuhhhhh)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 (I just hate this game)

• 10 (I play with controller)

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 9 (I play with controller)

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • 8 (I play with controller)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 7 (I play with controller)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 6 (I play with controller)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 5 (I play with controller)

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Netherlands
Netherlands
Without looking at the graphics etc, what do you think of the level of realism of the physics in GT7?
Does GT finally live up to it's name as a "real" driving simulator???

(BTW: Imo, if you want to truly experience the game and the physics you need a wheel, a DD wheel preferably, I think it's so good with the GT DD Pro! I'm kinda speechless about it...)
(Added answers for controller players to the poll to try to keep it split between controller and wheel)

Last edited:
They're more realistic but I hate the "spin mode" it locks you into. If the game decides you're going to spin there seems to be little you can do to catch it. But hey, realism. Many online raced are going to be settled by who makes the first mistake, not who crafts the best overtake.
I have to disagree with this, I am way more able to catch slides than I was in GT Sport, but I must also say the cars you race with in the early menu's don't have the best grip and can be hard to control sometimes. You mustn't be ashamed that you use TC on a car with over 500hp...

Using a wheel does not give you a better idea of what the physics are like than using a controller does. Not on this game anyway.
You could have just voted 4.... Do you even have a racing wheel? And i'm not talking about those Hori racing wheels (or motion steering with a controller for that matter, which is about the same experience I would guess)....

Last edited:
Pretty realistic for sure but not on the level of Assetto Corsa which has better physics and FFB in the wheel, I'd give this a 7. Overall it feels pretty good maybe some cars are more realistic than others.
Cars that I can have a real life idea of like hot hatches can seem understeery and much less lively than in real life compared to what I've seen and actually driven of such cars, where as games like assetto corsa really gave me more definition in the physics and FFB.

Last edited:
I have been playing driving sims since gp2 in 1996, and this is the best sim I ever have played. I love the way you control the power slides and the way the car behaves during a corner is very realistic. More so its fun to play and addictive. Amazing. Actually the first driving game I played was Virtua racing on the Saturn 1995!

Last edited:
I voted 8, mostly because I caught (by instinct) a tail slide in RWD when playing on controller.....
(all assists off and manual gears)
it 'feels' like ACC on controller on PS5.
Might change when I plug by wheel and pedals in...🤔

You could have just voted 4.... Do you even have a racing wheel? And i'm not talking about those Hori racing wheels (or motion steering with a controller for that matter, which is about the same experience I would guess)....
I have a G29. I haven't used it yet on this game because the controller handling is so intuitive. I golded the licenses with little issue using the analogue stick. So I know what I'm talking about, as do plenty other controller users.

I have a G29. I haven't used it yet on this game because the controller handling is so intuitive. I golded the licenses with little issue using the analogue stick. So I know what I'm talking about, as do plenty other controller users.
I'm not saying you can't be good with a controller, I'm saying the experience is completely different, and I'm saying "IMO" the best way to "EXPERIENCE" the game is with a DD wheel :/
I'm not saying to be fast you NEED a wheel :S
Weird how people make conclusions....

And yeah, good luck experiencing ffb with a controller........

Last edited:
I'm not saying you can't be good with a controller, I'm saying the experience is completely different, and I'm saying "IMO" the best way to "EXPERIENCE" the game is with a DD wheel :/

DualSense has many cool features. It's no wheel, but it's very nice to play with it.

You seem to think that FFB is an essential part of the physics engine, or something like that. I can literally see on my screen what is happening to my car when I do certain things, can see my car's weight shifting on its suspension, can hear tyres squealing, can feel my controller vibrate when I break traction. I wouldn't be able to drive consistently fast if I wasn't able to determine those things. And yet you're tryna tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't have FFB. Which, by the way, was pretty awful on GT Sport using a G29 (probably the most common wheel), and I'm guessing isn't much better here. I can't comment on DD, but I can categorically say that the experience is NOT "completely different" on Gran Turismo between a controller and a G29 or other lower-end wheel. Maybe I would agree with you were we talking about Assetto Corsa; but even then, what I've said still applies about being able to see what's going on in the physics engine simply by looking at your car on the screen and how it behaves.

Thus far I've made the exact same mistakes in the game as I made in my old EM1 and FC. I'd say it's pretty realistic. The game punishes you for not paying attention to elevation change and road texture just like real life. After some more experimentation it does seem like tires break traction pretty quickly but I've driven on tires with similar characteristics so I'm not surprised. There are also a few interesting notes in there like @R1600Turbo noticing old race cars understeer like pigs at slow speeds and widebody, low offset cars having a larger turning circle.

You seem to think that FFB is an essential part of the physics engine, or something like that. I can literally see on my screen what is happening to my car when I do certain things, can see my car's weight shifting on its suspension, can hear tyres squealing, can feel my controller vibrate when I break traction. I wouldn't be able to drive consistently fast if I wasn't able to determine those things. And yet you're tryna tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't have FFB. Which, by the way, was pretty awful on GT Sport using a G29 (probably the most common wheel), and I'm guessing isn't much better here. I can't comment on DD, but I can categorically say that the experience is NOT "completely different" on Gran Turismo between a controller and a G29 or other lower-end wheel. Maybe I would agree with you were we talking about Assetto Corsa; but even then, what I've said still applies about being able to see what's going on in the physics engine simply by looking at your car on the screen and how it behaves.
physics and FFB are directly related, you're simply missing that information on controller.... end of conversation.

And btw, I don't know if the FFB for G29 has improved much, but for the GT DD Pro it is much better than GT Sport.

Last edited:
I went 6, buy that's mainly because I'm using a controller and can only compare it other games where I've used a controller.

It's not as focused and doesn't require the delicate balancing act of something like Project Cars or Assetto Corsa, but it isn't as arcadey and forgiving as Forza or something like Grid.

Personally, I feel it hits a decent sweet spot between the more difficult handling of PC or AC and the floaty super grip of Forza etc...

But, this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight....Out of all the people who answered this poll
105 use a wheel and only 10 use a controller?....

I can't really rate the game yet. It has some idiosyncrasies that takes away from the "realism" for me. Example being vehicles are overly sensitive to some inputs, weight transfer is a bit exaggerated sometimes. I think one of the biggest examples is how easy you can get into inexplicable tank slappers, and then recover from those tank slappers almost too easily.

I can't really rate the game yet. It has some idiosyncrasies that takes away from the "realism" for me. Example being vehicles are overly sensitive to some inputs, weight transfer is a bit exaggerated sometimes. I think one of the biggest examples is how easy you can get into inexplicable tank slappers, and then recover from those tank slappers almost too easily.
Imho Weight transfer exaggerated is your wheel not being set right. Dig into your wheel settings outside of the game itself

Last edited:
I with with:

(Kinda realistic, there's still a lot of work to do)​

Votes: 1310.7%

When I play this, and then go play Assetto, I am like...wow...night and day. It is still missing many of the realistic physics seen in Forza, Assetto, iRacing, PC. And the drafting, if it's there, it's poorly implemented.

You also decided that controller players opinions on physics should be separate from wheel players, as if the physics isn't an objective thing that is the same for everyone.
physics and FFB are directly related, you're simply missing that information on controller.... end of conversation.
Kinda. The physics affect the FFB, because that's where the information driving the FFB comes from. The FFB doesn't affect the physics, they are the same even if you disable the FFB in your wheel. You can still play the game and experience the physics perfectly well using a wheel with FFB disabled.

Arguably you should be judging the physics without FFB anyway, as the FFB can mask issues with the physics or create issues that aren't there.

An example: there was a period during the initial PCARS alpha I think it was, where the physics were already pretty good but one of the builds reversed the FFB. The game went from pretty good to drive to wildly undriveable with FFB on with no actual change to physics. Anyone assessing that with FFB on would have called the physics very unrealistic and they would have been wrong because it was an FFB problem, not a physics problem.

If you haven't at least tried driving the game with FFB off then you're in no position to dismiss the opinions of controller players. The only disadvantage with a controller is the input smoothing that can't be disabled, but that's something that is relatively easy to work around.

I've played Project Cars 1, Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione and GT Sport on a controller so I think I have some idea about car physics. If you ask me, GT7 sits between Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa. Still quite a ways off from the nuance of ACC but it's very good considering how much I hated the physics of GT Sport. Everything feels more natural.

Back