[Poll] So how good do you think the physics are?

• Thread starter Kalder
  • 78 comments

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being best), how realistic do you think the physics of GT7 are?

• 10 (True to life, ultra realistic)

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • 9 (Extremely realistic but could still be slightly improved)

Votes: 49 16.3%
  • 8 (Highly realistic but there are a lot of better sims out there)

Votes: 74 24.6%
  • 7 (Pretty realistic, physics could definitely be improved)

Votes: 84 27.9%
  • 6 (Kinda realistic, there's still a lot of work to do)

Votes: 42 14.0%
  • 5 (Not realistic)

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • 4 (I don't know what I'm talking about)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 3 (I think NFS and FH5 are way more realistic)

• 2 (duuuuuhhhhh)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 (I just hate this game)

• 10 (I play with controller)

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 9 (I play with controller)

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • 8 (I play with controller)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 7 (I play with controller)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 6 (I play with controller)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 5 (I play with controller)

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
I do not think physics are any different from a wheel to a controller. Isn't is about the FFB in the wheel ? Moreover it is very likely that controller has better implementation.

The physics are okay but the oversteer in RWD cars is completely exaggerated… literally spinning out in a 180hp AE86 with maximum downforce even on high speed bends when I’m already going over 100mph. I’m pretty much fighting whatever car I’m driving the entire race. I daily drive a 510+hp, RWD car. Controlling something with 1/3 the amount of power in a video game should not be this difficult.

There are some issues right now but it feels like they took a step forward overall. It feels almost like AC, but that’s not really a compliment considering that game is old, lol.

They're definitely gonna have to tweak the physics. Sport Hard tires in heavy rain feel like I'm driving on bald tires.
They tweaked the physics a few times in GTS, they will do the same with GT7.

Last edited:
Have you ever got caught in the rain with performance tires and tried to push the car in RL? It not fun man.
This is fair. If Sport tyres are supposed to be the sort of barely road legal semi slicks that people put on their track day cars then they're legitimately sketchy in the rain.

This is fair. If Sport tyres are supposed to be the sort of barely road legal semi slicks that people put on their track day cars then they're legitimately sketchy in the rain.
you are thinking of drag radial cheater slicks
sport tires are fine in the rain, just a softer compound then touring tires

I'm a drift player, and it's super difficult to drift without modifying the "steering angle adapter".
SIPN from time to time, but the feedback from the steering wheel feels very good, I think the problem is the insufficient steering angle of the front wheels,
The rudder angle of the front wheel without modifying the steering angle adapter is pitifully small. It would be great if players could adjust the steering angle of the front wheel.
Maybe someone will mention that the "steering angle adapter" can be modified, yes, but but... the feedback dynamics of the steering wheel have changed,
Can't believe it's the same game, I've never seen a steering wheel reaction like this in any real drift video.
This is like the situation of ROAD TAB / DRIFT TAB in GT SPORT, but GT7 is not so exaggerated.

you are thinking of drag radial cheater slicks
sport tires are fine in the rain, just a softer compound then touring tires
That not what I was thinking of. I had a set of these (or ones very like them) on the MX5 once, Hankook Ventus. This is what I mean by "barely road legal semi slicks". Last I checked most of the sporty brands have something like these as a top of range road legal performance tyre.

1646886878908.png

****ing amazing in the dry, just unbelievable amounts of grip on a little car. The grip was okay in the wet but a major step down from what you got in the dry. Water cooled them down so they'd never get up to temperature enough to really grip with the rubber, and they couldn't shift water so puddles and streams across the road became kinda dangerous. They still worked okay, it's not like you were drifting every corner, but you had to be aware that the tyre you were on had real limitations in the wet and drive accordingly.

I absolutely looped the car a couple of times going at what seemed like sensible speeds because I hit a puddle I wasn't expecting and the tyre simply couldn't shift the water fast enough not to aquaplane. I was lucky enough not to hit anything either time, but it was a real lesson that these types of tyres would sometimes just let go at surprising times in wet conditions. I ended up driving slower in the rain on these than I would on normal tyres in a mate's car because I just couldn't trust them.

Other people I've talked to have had similar experiences, and as a result most people seem to buy them once and then never again unless they're really into track days or autocross. Instead they buy something like a Pilot Sport 4 which behaves much as you describe - fine in the rain but a softer compound.

no, that is exactly what I was talking about
the Ventus TD is a track tire, A.K.A cheater slick
it is only designed for competition that require "road legal" tires
it is not intended to actually be driven on the street

for a car that will be used on the road the Ventus R-S4 is your tire of choice

I do not think physics are any different from a wheel to a controller. Isn't is about the FFB in the wheel ? Moreover it is very likely that controller has better implementation.
Yes, I think one of the issues is very much how the different controllers are implemented.

I haven't tried a DS4, but playing the game on a PS5 DualSense at the moment is, in many cases, the fastest way around a circuit for me. They've obviously spent a lot of time optimising how that works and feels with very nuanced sensations communicating surface and traction changes. In the Nismo GT-R, you can almost feel the diffs doing their thing as you put the power down through a corner, but it's far more subtle feeling than you get from a G29. On that front, I guess they've spent a lot of their time getting things right on the new Fanatec DD wheel as it's their flagship - I haven't tried one, but I suspect the game is quite a bit better optimised there, than on my G29.
The physics are okay but the oversteer in RWD cars is completely exaggerated… literally spinning out in a 180hp AE86 with maximum downforce even on high speed bends when I’m already going over 100mph. I’m pretty much fighting whatever car I’m driving the entire race. I daily drive a 510+hp, RWD car. Controlling something with 1/3 the amount of power in a video game should not be this difficult.
One thing I've noticed is the game's response to being off-throttle seems quite exaggerated. If you drive the exact same way you have been, but never come entirely off the throttle, you can chuck the car around with no issues at all. Doing the final Menu 39 World Series race in the Alfa 4C GT3, the handling is pretty lively, but as long as you keep a slight throttle opening (literally 5%, just enough to hear the engine note change, doesn't have to actually be putting any power down or causing any noticeable weight transfer), you can get away with most things and it becomes quite forgiving.

If you then come off the throttle and try to coast gently round the final chicane, even at very low speed with soft slicks that should be easily up to race temperature, it'll try and stick you in the wall and is virtually impossible to catch. This isn't just a balanced-throttle weight management issue, it's like a binary switch between easy control and certain death and is even visible at gentle speeds, far from the limits of grip. I can't work out if it's maybe a driveline simulation thing, somehow locking the rear wheels, but whatever is going on isn't being communicated at all through the wheel, and FR race cars with similar setups seem immune to it. Hopefully whatever's going on here, they'll dial it out a bit with an update.

I gave GT7 a 6/10. I use Logitech g29 and play at A/A+ level. With tuning and setup changes allowed I find that you can really find a decent sweet spot with most cars. The snap oversteer issue without setup changes is uncontrollable. The GR 3 MR cars in this game especially the Audi, Ford GT, Ferrari are so unstable its a joke making the online daily and manufacturer championships not very fun unless you pick a stable car (ie Peugeot). I am hoping that PD will address these issues with future updates.

I don't know how to describe it, but after playing ACC for a few hours using the Vantage GT4 on Laguna Seca with a full grid, and then coming back to GT7 and doing the exact same.. it felt like everything I had just learned in ACC I could toss out the window because it didn't apply.

I really like the finer physics. They're more challenging and push you to change how you drive what you're driving.

On one of the early license tests you have to push a Honda Civic around 2 corners in Tokyo without hitting the walls. I kept approaching this like I was driving an FR car - I'd brake, come completely off the gas and then accelerate coming out of the corner. Most times I'd hit the wall or be too slow.

I didn't start to make progress until I started to think about the FF handling, staying lightly on the throttle and being smoother on the accelerator and earlier.

Sure, some points of the physics are still a bit wonky, but I'm not 100% sure that's always the game and not our incorrect setups. I've found plenty of GR3 cars that are prone to losing the back-end, become a lot more easier to handle if you add ballast to the front and then a turbo to push the power back up to compensate for the weight.

Last edited:
I use a controller, and now with haptics returns, it made having a wheel less desirable, as I would miss the haptic returns on brake and accelerator.

Plus I read many complaints around FFB, including with the Fanatec GT DD.

I don't know if the physics are perfect, but I really enjoy them and I fill there is a good gap with GTS. It is one of the biggest evolution for me, with dynamic weather and the way the game emulates differents lighting due to the time of the day or weather.

Hesitated between 7 and 8, went with 8. I've only played with controller so far though. Setting up my cockpit and DD Pro tonight so I'll probably revise my vote later.

First of all, there's no game that can reach the "true to life" realism. There just aren't enough resources for something like that. For something to be "truer" to life, it has to be an actual sim, like the ones F1 teams (as an example) use for their drivers.

However, there do exist games that can deliver a very good immersion thanks to their physics engines. Assetto Corsa in my opinion is probably the best game out there that can deliver almost "true to life" physics.

I feel GT7 is still lacking behind Assetto Corsa by quite a margin, but it's still much better than most other games. It's probably almost on the level of Project Cars.

I feel an 8 would be reasonable just in terms of handling in both dry and wet asphalt, but factoring it's jumping physics and almost non-existent crash/bump physics, I have to give it a 7.

Cars have practically no slip angle. You're stuck on rails then you go into a harsh oversteer. There's no slip curve, it's a grip cliff. I've said this before, but if GPL and NR2003 can do it better, somethin' ain't right.

Ive driven a 350z hard irl, there is definately something off with the rwd physics/grip level. Not sure if pd are trying to make up for too much front end grip. It feels a bit better than GTS, I gave it a 7 there is a good bit of room for improvement
I watched a YouTube clip addressing it and advising the reduce the initial torque on the differential, which makes a lot of cars a hell of a lot easier to drive afterwards.

It made me think that maybe PD actually got the physics right, but the default settings on the diffs is wrong/too high, causing too much torque on throttle input.

Back