Not open for further replies.

syntex123

Currently lurking!
Premium
Norway
Færder
syntex123
Syntex260Z

Made in Japan. That's literally what Nissan means. Livery and image by @JKcreativeworks - (click for full-size)

This Fortnight's Theme
We've left the dust and entered the asphalt again. This round we'll work on a car that many of us had as a childhood dream; GTP Sunday Cup creator @JKcreativeworks explains:

As I am a Japanese car enthusiast, and a sucker for Nissan or Mitsubishi, I would like to do something with Nissans finest; the GT-R cars! . "GathRing", dedicated to the R-badge Nissans, the R32 GT-R, R33 GT-R, R34 GT-R and R35 GT-R!
As I see "GathRing" being a (fantasy) Japanese Nissan GT-R meet on the Parking lot Daikokufuto, I would like to keep things realistic. In other words, we use the N-class cars. But I also accept the Gr.4 car as it could possibly go through as a street/track car, but it's a street meet so a Japanese license plate is mandatory on your car.
Also, I wish to have a nice bonus pic taken on the streets of Japan!

CARS: Nissan GT-R cars only!
R32 GT-R
R33 GT-R
R34 GT-R
R35 GT-R
R35 GT-R Nismo
R35 GT-R Gr.4
LIVERIES: Do what you want, give it a subtle street, track or race car look, replica or fantasy, Itashi or whatever you feel like doing. But keep in mind, the cars are located in Japan!
USER MADE DECALS: Allowed
LOCATIONS: Shiretoko for the main pics, bonus image taken on the streets of Japan
UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS: Must use a Japanese license plate.

Competition Rules

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this poll. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.
  • The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here.
  • Do not vote for your own entry.
  • You have three votes to spend - use them wisely!
  • Do not try to sway the poll.
  • Please, view each image in its full size before voting.
  • In the event of a tie, a 24H tiebreaker poll will be posted. All contestants in the tiebreaker are asked to vote; if one person doesn't, all other contestants votes won't count.

Poll Option #1

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #2

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #3

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #4

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #5

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #6

gtp11b.jpg

gtp11c.jpg

gtp11a.jpg

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #7

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #8

View media item 42842View media item 42843

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #9

View media item 42845View media item 42844
8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #10

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #11

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #12

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #13

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #14

ZooPc7d.jpg

gcUCneB.jpg

X6PAZCP.jpg

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #15

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #16

The streets are never actually this quiet....

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #17

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #18

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #19

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #20

View attachment 757160

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #21

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #22

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #23

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #24

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #25

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #26

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #27

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #28

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #29

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #30

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #31

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #32

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #33

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #34

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #35

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #36

Deadline

August 19, 2018 (23:59, CEST/GMT+2)

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me know. So many entries, easy to overlook. I'll get right on it.

I know @GTvsForza. But it doesn't look good with a free-for-all when it comes to size. The poll looks more uniform when all entries have the same size. And I don't have time to resize 30+ entries myself. That would take forever. So call it stupid all you want but it'd be a mess if every other image was way too big.

Sad to see me not in because of a stupid size restriction...
It’s not because of "a stupid size restriction" but rather because of your inability to read or refusal of sticking to rules everyone else also gets along with.
Do you also run redlights because you think traffic lights are a stupid idea?

It’s not because of "a stupid size restriction" but rather because of your inability to read or refusal of sticking to rules everyone else also gets along with.
Do you also run redlights because you think traffic lights are a stupid idea?
Don't start with me...

This was probably the hardest voting time I've had, both because of the level and of the theme, which played a big part in my decision. Eventually, I went for:

- #12 as I love the tuner look of it: every proper car meeting has to have a car with some insane graphics on it, and those were spot on for me!
- #24 the proper drift car, tuned to another level compared to the rest of the participants. That's the special attraction that every meeting has, the guest of honor. And, it was lovely, fell in love with it since it was posted on the thread.
- #31 it's the detailed, perfectly cared enthusiast car, also a must-have in every car meet. This R33 was the one that incarnated this style the most in my opinion, so it gets my vote.

I would've loved to have a few more votes, but had to narrow it down to three. Good luck to everyone participating, and of course a great job by everybody, as usual :cheers:

Great to see so many entries, and again huge credit to @JKcreativeworks , @syntex123 and @Nuschel01 for putting everything together!

If I'm totally honest, I think a few people went a bit too wild with the theme, but I guess it's all down to personal interpretation. Either way, there has been a huge amount of effort put in by all and its such a shame that some notably good entries have missed out due to falling foul of the rules. For those who've spent many hours on a design, the few extra minutes it takes to format you entry correctly are totally worth it!

I've started using Flickr and one of their sharing options produces a forum-friendly 640px wide thumbnail that links to the 4k original so anyone who has issues with the sizing should check it out!

If I'm really nit picking, then most of the Japanese plates people have used here are wrong. The main culprit being the Yellow Kei car plates which are only fitted to a vehicle with a <660cc engine. Also the small number at the top indicates engine size. The GT-R should have a number starting with a 3 which indicates a car with an engine >2,000cc (numbers starting 5 indicate <2,000cc). A few people have also fallen foul of the anime style plates with #-### or ##-### formats. These are used so TV companies don't end up with real number plates (similar to how all American movies use 555 in telephone numbers as this is never used in the real world).

Also, there's a couple of rule-breakers that seem to have snuck under the radar. #1 and #6 don't have Japanese license plates which was a requirement of the rules and should be DQ'd. #20's use of the Imperial House of Japan's licence plate is also questionable but better than no plate at all. The other's (who I'm guessing are American) who've only used the plate on the rear could arguably be DQ'd as Japan (like most countries outside the US) require plates on the front and rear.

Anyway, here's my choices:

#18 - Could have easily been entered into the Barn Find and Drift Car rounds, it's a well thought out design with a drift missile appearance, very typical of a grassroots event/meet car.

#21 - I had to choose this one as it's a great replica of one of the main cars from one of my favourite films.

If you haven't seen Thinderbolt (Pik Lik Foh in Asia) then go watch it. It's a typical Jacki Chan film, somewhat badly made with some interesting direction (random scenes in slow motion), full of errors (like a Skyline GTS-T badged as a GT-R for most of the main car chase and alloy wheels that change between camera angles) amongst all the usual Jacki Chan cheese, but it features a whole host of 90's JDM machinery!

#25 - Nice clean replica with good use of chrome masking. Showing that you don't have to go mad with graphics to produce a great looking entry!

Last edited:
Too hard to choose! But I'm going to be very picky. The best executed car for me has to be 30. It is absolutely fantastic! I fell in love as soon as i seen it!.

Next i'd say is 10, so simple yet so good! Love it!.

Then I had to choose 20. Who doesn't love a classic? And the livery is done well and doesn't look out of place!

I would like to add that if it weren't for being on an R34 and it was on an ER34 I would have picked entry 24 but I just can't for that reason, sorry! As I said, I'm being picky!. Great entries all round and it's nice to see a close to no anime added. This obsession in GTS with anime on liveries has gotten way too much for me :lol:

I've started using Flickr and one of their sharing options produces a forum-friendly 640px wide thumbnail that links to the 4k original so anyone who has issues with the sizing should check it out
Same for me, Flickr is the easiest choice for uploading pics for these contests. It's free, everyone should use it imho, no way to enter with wrong sized pics by using it.

First of all, I want to welcome and thank the 10 new people who choose to enter this competition. Some, like @Baliwa , @jamesaflee , @H1s6n and @HAKOSUKA1971 were active voters and I'm glad they take the step to actually enter (even if sadly, some didn't make their way to the poll).

This was a very hard choice. As @BLiTZ said, there are very different projects here. Some are very clean, "factory brand new" cars, others are more like bold tuner/street art cars, and a few were very "wild", almost racers or D1 cars. For me each category can fit the theme, so I decided to allow my three votes to the "winner" of each category.

Factory : The final duel was between #10 Z-Tune R35 and #16 Mine's R35, and I've gone for @Baliwa car.

Street art : Between #23 Split 400R and #36 Bushido-R, my vote goes to @MMX

Drifters : Out of #9 Dragon Ball Z, #24 Blitz ER34 and #27 Low Origin R35, I've picked @TYLER2013 version, for the very detailled recreation of the livery

I've started using Flickr and one of their sharing options produces a forum-friendly 640px wide thumbnail that links to the 4k original so anyone who has issues with the sizing should check it out!

The easiest way to enter for sure. I use Flickr exclusively too and it’s no way you can mess up using it. 👍

Also, there's a couple of rule-breakers that seem to have snuck under the radar. #1 and #6 don't have Japanese license plates which was a requirement of the rules and should be DQ'd. #20's use of the Imperial House of Japan's licence plate is also questionable but better than no plate at all. The other's (who I'm guessing are American) who've only used the plate on the rear could arguably be DQ'd as Japan (like most countries outside the US) require plates on the front and rear.

Since I compiled the list for the poll alone this round, I actually missed those who didn’t use a plate.
I scrolled so many times up and down, so many entries! :lol: I noticed a few didn’t use a front plate but had a rear plate though.

EDIT: Ahh I see now. I did question myself whether to keep or DQ, but since they basically have a ‘custom’ Japanese plate with own numbers/letters I chose to let it slide, in some form they are Japanese.

Happy to see I'm still on to maintain my streak

I actually quite liked the idea of your entry. Sadly, it doesn't come across well in the pictures, and I'd ultimately prefer it if the designs covered more of the car body.

I actually quite liked the idea of your entry. Sadly, it doesn't come across well in the pictures, and I'd ultimately prefer it if the designs covered more of the car body.
Having argued that chrome liveries work with the current picture settings, I then helped prove that they don't. :lol:

I did play around with it covering much more of the car, but it just ended up looking like a total mess *shrugs*

If I'm really nit picking, then most of the Japanese plates people have used here are wrong. The main culprit being the Yellow Kei car plates which are only fitted to a vehicle with a <660cc engine. Also the small number at the top indicates engine size. The GT-R should have a number starting with a 3 which indicates a car with an engine >2,000cc (numbers starting 5 indicate <2,000cc). A few people have also fallen foul of the anime style plates with #-### or ##-### formats. These are used so TV companies don't end up with real number plates (similar to how all American movies use 555 in telephone numbers as this is never used in the real world).

I don’t think anyone should be DQ’d or even miss out on a vote because the plates aren’t accurate. It sounds like a cop out to me. I used a vanity plate, and assumed those would be a thing. If you’re going to nit pick that bad, then every single LHD entry should also be eliminated.

I don’t think anyone should be DQ’d or even miss out on a vote because the plates aren’t accurate. It sounds like a cop out to me. I used a vanity plate, and assumed those would be a thing. If you’re going to nit pick that bad, then every single LHD entry should also be eliminated.

If people have failed to include something that's part of the rules then they should be DQ'd. I respect @syntex123 's decision to let the more creative interpretations slide as it's his and @JKcreativeworks ' call at the end of the day.

FYI, Japanese plates are all numeric. The closest thing they have to vanity plates are the lesse- digit examples such as 00-23 (shown as ·· 23) which is popular because it reads 'Ni' 'San' or 00-07 (shown as ·· ·7) which is popular on RX-7's.

I was only highlighting the errors so people could learn something. I don't read or speak Japanese and everything I know I've learnt by reading up on them over the years. There's lots of info out there for people that're interested.

Ironically LHD cars are quite popular in Japan as they're seen as a status symbol. If you're seen in a LHD high-end European car you're doing well for yourself or are part of the Yakuza!

Having argued that chrome liveries work with the current picture settings, I then helped prove that they don't. :lol:

I did play around with it covering much more of the car, but it just ended up looking like a total mess *shrugs*

Likewise, I get the style you were aiming for, just a shame it didn't really translate into the game all that well. I recall a gold GT-R that was fully covered, and whilst not my cup of tea, I can't deny it has a very artistic appearance...

Tokyo-Auto-Salon-10.jpg

Whilst more DIY, the sharpie covered R33 ended up looking quite good too...

car-art-sharpie-pen-drawing-1.jpg

I was on the forums with my ER34 at the time when the owner was posting regular updates as he and his wife finished each panel. It was quite exciting to see the progress as it was quite a unique concept back then.

Last edited:
Ah poll now start eh.
First of all, I want to welcome and thank the 10 new people who choose to enter this competition. Some, like @Baliwa , @jamesaflee , @H1s6n and @HAKOSUKA1971 were active voters and I'm glad they take the step to actually enter (even if sadly, some didn't make their way to the poll).

Actually I always want to join but back then Daily races just so intense and I fighting for Nation cup (currently not cause still adaptating with new tire physic). While now it takes weekly I can do more livery creation but still can't share that Z-Tunes cause weird bug happen to me

To me I really like #21 @Not_Alibi #24 and #12. Dunno but that three just feel so fresh

If people have failed to include something that's part of the rules then they should be DQ'd. I respect @syntex123 's decision to let the more creative interpretations slide as it's his and @JKcreativeworks ' call at the end of the day.

FYI, Japanese plates are all numeric. The closest thing they have to vanity plates are the lesse- digit examples such as 00-23 (shown as ·· 23) which is popular because it reads 'Ni' 'San' or 00-07 (shown as ·· ·7) which is popular on RX-7's.

I was only highlighting the errors so people could learn something. I don't read or speak Japanese and everything I know I've learnt by reading up on them over the years. There's lots of info out there for people that're interested.

Ironically LHD cars are quite popular in Japan as they're seen as a status symbol. If you're seen in a LHD high-end European car you're doing well for yourself or are part of the Yakuza!

Likewise, I get the style you were aiming for, just a shame it didn't really translate into the game all that well. I recall a gold GT-R that was fully covered, and whilst not my cup of tea, I can't deny it has a very artistic appearance...

Tokyo-Auto-Salon-10.jpg

Whilst more DIY, the sharpie covered R33 ended up looking quite good too...

car-art-sharpie-pen-drawing-1.jpg

I was on the forums with my ER34 at the time when the owner was posting regular updates as he and his wife finished each panel. It was quite exciting to see the progress as it was quite a unique concept back then.

I agree with your post about people who didn't follow the rules should be DQ'd.

Though I didn't see that gold GTR! I think a coloured chrome would have worked out better.

This is the GTR I was hoping to try and copy, while it has an all over pattern as well as the engravings I couldn't get it to look right, so tried to simply ape the more intricate details lower on the car, in similar patterns. Ahh well, this is actually a good image of the details, but yeah... to be fair my comment about my streak was mostly tongue in cheek, if I took it personally I wouldn't have bothered to enter so many times!
Especially after my R18 was so roundly thrashed it didn't even make the top 10! :lol:

Though I didn't see that gold GTR! I think a coloured chrome would have worked out better.

This is the GTR I was hoping to try and copy, while it has an all over pattern as well as the engravings I couldn't get it to look right, so tried to simply ape the more intricate details lower on the car, in similar patterns. Ahh well, this is actually a good image of the details, but yeah... to be fair my comment about my streak was mostly tongue in cheek, if I took it personally I wouldn't have bothered to enter so many times!
Especially after my R18 was so roundly thrashed it didn't even make the top 10! :lol:

Reading that article the silver and gold cars are by the same company, the Silver example preceded the gold one.

Either way they both kind of remind me of these...

51CWolUOQaL._SX300_.jpg

I don't know if you played with the textures at all, but matt decals over a metallic silver base may have worked a bit better as the chrome may have been too much of a contrast to work as intended?

Reading that article the silver and gold cars are by the same company, the Silver example preceded the gold one.

Either way they both kind of remind me of these...

View attachment 759781

I don't know if you played with the textures at all, but matt decals over a metallic silver base may have worked a bit better as the chrome may have been too much of a contrast to work as intended?

I did have a play about with settings like that, but to be honest, the settings and the scene for the pictures make it really hard to highlight the decals. So I just ended up with going with what worked best on-track.

Like I said, I argued that the current settings are fine for chrome liveries and have then helped prove myself wrong with my own entry :lol:

And yeah, the chrome and gold chrome cars look gastly haha I just wanted something that screamed Yakuza excess! :P

I did have a play about with settings like that, but to be honest, the settings and the scene for the pictures make it really hard to highlight the decals. So I just ended up with going with what worked best on-track.

Like I said, I argued that the current settings are fine for chrome liveries and have then helped prove myself wrong with my own entry :lol:

And yeah, the chrome and gold chrome cars look gastly haha I just wanted something that screamed Yakuza excess! :P
The main issue when it comes to capturing texture differences in Scapes is lighting. I'm yet to find a scape that reliably captures my carbon texture where I have a gloss decal over a matt base. It looks perfect in the Editor and works great on track but in Scapes it always looks flat unless the lighting is at such an extreme angle that the rest of the livery looks rubbish.

I like the idea of those cars, if not the execution... but that's partly down to the modifications to the cars themselves also.

Also, FWIW, I haven't really expected to get any/many votes with any of my LEC entries, I just don't have the time to get the ideas to work (and hence my Artcar replicas have dried up), but it's just a bot of fun to enter anyway. 👍

Also, FWIW, I haven't really expected to get any/many votes with any of my LEC entries, I just don't have the time to get the ideas to work (and hence my Artcar replicas have dried up), but it's just a bot of fun to enter anyway. 👍

I totally agree. I don’t do it to win, I do it for the fun factor, and to keep improving my skills when it comes to graphic design. I learned a buttload when transitioning to Affinity Designer. :)

I totally agree. I don’t do it to win, I do it for the fun factor, and to keep improving my skills when it comes to graphic design. I learned a buttload when transitioning to Affinity Designer. :)
Enjoy while you can... you will have far less time in December.

Congratulations :cheers:

Enjoy while you can... you will have far less time in December.

Congratulations :cheers:
True. But that doesn’t mean I’ll slack on making the competitions, I’ll still do that, even if it means less time to actually enter. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back